Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

LTK

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby LTK » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:Or, you know, you could've just created an offline account.
Not only do I not know that, by the time I had invested 4 hours into it it appeared the only way I could get the save system functional was restarting the game so GFWL could update.

I'm going to start the game up again at some point and try to stomach replaying those four hours, so I'm not as enraged as other people. But as DRM goes that's really annoying. Especially because if they had made it a ban on loading, instead of a ban on saving, I would have been able to save it last night, wake up this morning, figure out I needed a Live account, made the account, and then continued on my merry way.

Unfortunately, for me there was an agonizing road between "made the account" and "continued on my merry way" in the form of activation e-mails not working, wrong services activated, the game freezing up, the client updating for an hour or so, and other things. What I only just rediscovered about GFWL in Bioshock 2 is how the bastards neatly shuffled the option to create an offline account into a dark corner. I managed to do so when playing Red Faction: Guerrilla, but when I tried to find the button that says "Offline account" in Bioshock 2 I was at a loss. Now here's the thing: There was no button. Instead, on the 'Create a new account' screen, you can scroll down the information where there is a link near the words "If you do not want to profit from the services offered by Games for Windows Live, and would prefer to have a rabid squirrel inserted up your" etcetera, which allows you to make an account with a lot less fuss.

Okay yes I did make up that last bit, but no one would object if that was actually what it said.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:45 am UTC

Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:30 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Oh, yeah. I know what you're talking about. Didn't get that because it didn't have games I was interested in.

PENUMBRA INTERESTS YOU.

Also, if you're in to any sort of combat games, the rabbit one, despite looking goofy as hell, is a pretty hardcore fighting game, with your attacks being blocked then riposted so you block and riposte and get blocked and manage to block the attack coming back at you and finally kick the bunny bastard in the head... in the course of a second or two.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:10 pm UTC

You might as well get the Penumbra games now, so that you're up to speed for when you buy Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

What do you get if you combine Asteroids with Audiosurf?

Sued for copyright infringement because somebody already did that and it's called Beat Hazard.

Until July 4 Beat Hazard is on sale for $5 US. There's a demo available in case you're unsure of buying it. If the game seems a little shallow, keep in mind that it was released only two months ago and they're still working on updating it. If you're curious, you can read about it here.

Also, the DLC is pretty much required if you buy a lot of music through iTunes.

The game is beyond awesome if you love space shooters and music. It's basically Asteroids set to your music with a maelstrom of particle effects and a seizure warning. As we all know, any game that starts with a seizure warning is going to be good (unless, you know, you're prone to having seizures).
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

I actually dislike Beat Hazard, it's a fun asteroid style game, but what was going on didn't seem at all connected to the music I was playing.

cv4

Postby cv4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Today's daily sales are weak.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:You might as well get the Penumbra games now, so that you're up to speed for when you buy Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Yeah, i'm keeping my eye on those. If there's no daily deal for them then I'll be picking it up on the last day of the sale (I know it's already 50% off, i'm cheap like that).

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:41 pm UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:Until July 4 Beat Hazard is on sale for $5 US.
I put even odds that it will be $2 at some point before the end of the week, if it doesn't get bundled with something else. Steady your hand!

I've heard Tales from Monkey Island was a bit middling, but for ten bucks I think I'll have a go. And all the critics seem to like Oddworld, but of course I purchased it when it was twice its current price.

In other news, D2D is making a cute little attempt at competing and are for 6/28 only offering Mass Effect 2 for $20. More deals to come, too, but that's the only one I'm interested in, really.
http://www.direct2drive.com/3/9010/prod ... 2-Download

novax6

Postby novax6 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:24 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Mr. Mack wrote: And all the critics seem to like Oddworld, but of course I purchased it when it was twice its current price.

Dude, I bought those games for the ps1 when they were first released, at least 40 or 50 bucks. Twice it's current price would be 5 dollars. I think you got a pretty good deal still. :P

Besides, those are awesome games, still worth it.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:42 am UTC

novax6 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
Mr. Mack wrote: And all the critics seem to like Oddworld, but of course I purchased it when it was twice its current price.

Dude, I bought those games for the ps1 when they were first released, at least 40 or 50 bucks. Twice it's current price would be 5 dollars. I think you got a pretty good deal still. :P

Besides, those are incredibly hard games, still worth it.

Fixed for me. Maybe I just suck.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
pseudoidiot wrote:Oh, yeah. I know what you're talking about. Didn't get that because it didn't have games I was interested in.

PENUMBRA INTERESTS YOU.

Something told me I should look into this Penumbra game, so I read the description and watched the trailer and was intrigued. I downloaded the demo and... eh, I'm on the fence. Mostly because the controls seem a bit unwieldy. But if it gets cheap enough I may go ahead and pick it up because otherwise it seemed pretty cool.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:57 pm UTC

GTA IV is up for 7,5 euros. I'm tempted to buy it. If I need a more mindless version, I already have Saint's Row 2.

Also was the Penumbra thing in the humble indie bundle? I havn't even downloaded that yet.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

thc

Postby thc » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:00 am UTC

Has anyone tried Osmos? Sounds interesting and for only $2.50....

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:04 am UTC

thc wrote:Has anyone tried Osmos? Sounds interesting and for only $2.50....

I was thinking the same thing. I may pick it up.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:10 am UTC

It's a great game. It's calming until the later levels, which leave you scratching your head.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:58 am UTC

nbonaparte wrote:It's a great game. It's calming until the later levels, which leave you pulling your hair out.

Fixed. I'm at level F2-3, and it's killing me. How the hell am I supposed to capture all three repulsors? The best I can do is fuse two of them but that gets me nowhere.

Edit: Apparently the solution is to get really freakin' huge and bounce around fast. Only two more levels to go, and they all involve complicated orbiting mechanics.
Last edited by LTK on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:00 pm UTC

cv4 wrote:Today's daily sales are weak.

This seems to apply to most days so far.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
cv4 wrote:Today's daily sales are weak.

This seems to apply to most days so far.

Agreed, but there's a very good chance it just seems that way to me because all the games I'm interested in in the sale, I already have from previous sales.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

thc wrote:Has anyone tried Osmos? Sounds interesting and for only $2.50....

I recommend it. its beautiful and calming but then it gets hard and i don't like it any more.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:41 pm UTC

A query: when Steam drops prices like this, how often do you actually bother taking the time to try a demo before adding yet another game to your library?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

I'd try the demos if I had any hope of downloading them before the sale ended.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:32 am UTC

Buy Shatter before it's too late. It's awesome.

I also bit on The Void today. I would have bought a couple others, but I don't feel like going through the horrid Games for Windows Live.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:15 am UTC

Yes, would someone care to sell me on The Void? The trailer doesn't look appealing at all, especially since it has to so quickly resort to boobies.

I'd also be willing to go in on an L4D four-pack. Any takers?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:31 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Yes, would someone care to sell me on The Void? The trailer doesn't look appealing at all, especially since it has to so quickly resort to boobies.

I haven't gotten enough time to play it, but from what I did, the nudity is never something that is even attempted to be used as some kind of selling point in the game, it's just there. I also believe there's full frontal male nudity as well. If you've ever played Pathologic, it feels very similar to that (most likely because it was made by the same developer), even though they don't share much in common beyond atmosphere.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:58 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Jorpho wrote:Yes, would someone care to sell me on The Void? The trailer doesn't look appealing at all, especially since it has to so quickly resort to boobies.

I haven't gotten enough time to play it, but from what I did, the nudity is never something that is even attempted to be used as some kind of selling point in the game, it's just there. I also believe there's full frontal male nudity as well. If you've ever played Pathologic, it feels very similar to that (most likely because it was made by the same developer), even though they don't share much in common beyond atmosphere.

This is right. Characters in The Void are naked for the reason gods are naked, not why pin-up models are naked. Sure Sister (the tutorial character) is quite pretty, especially with all that Color bubbling around her naked form, but to be honest she creeps me out just a little beyond the point of finding her anything more than aesthetically pleasing. She's both motherly but vulnerable (in a "protect me, you big strong man" way) at the same time, creating this weird juxtaposition that kind of prevents the nakedness becoming fanservice because finding her motherly is weird, and finding her sexy is equally weird. This may not work as well if the player is female.

I haven't played through it very far, but what I've seen of it I like. It's incredibly atmospheric, giving the right feel. The game is meant to be a struggle for your life and it feels like it. You always want more Color. You need Color. Where can I get some more Color?! It really makes you feel the central mechanic which is something that can't be said for a lot of games. The graphics are this strange mix of dated and high-quality. A lot of the terrain doesn't even have normal maps but the Brothers and Sisters are rendered in exquisite detail, from their flowing hair and delicate dresses, to the spikes they've impaled themselves upon and used as legs. The particle effects are brilliant and the English voice acting is great too.

It plays upon the instinctive fear of death. The opening cinematic describes the closing stages of someone's life and how, even though they've tried to do good and have happy memories, the thought of death still chills them to the bone. It's chilling and definitely appropriate. And this fear of death hangs over you in the entire game, unlike other games you never do anything specifically for material gain or challenge. Everything you do is to get more Color and to extend your life as much as possible. If I had to point at one videogame that could be called art, it would be The Void.

Overall, most definitely worth the £5 (or equivalent quantity of your currency of choice).

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 am UTC

Was I playing The Void wrong then? You make it sound really good, but I found that once I'd started to understand the mechanics and actually get by, every game ended in me running out of colour. After a while, my gardens would just turn up nothing and long before I'd had the chance to visit any of the other sisters. I killed the second sister I met in desperation for more colour as I'd have died without it, but that didn't do nearly enough for me and I died anyway.

The game felt to me much like going into an RTS against a really great player - You have to immediately know exactly what to do, there isn't time to actually experience the game, and one slip from the correct course of action will kill you. Not wanting to play by trial and error, I gave up on it. If I've been missing something huge and I'm wrong about the game's difficulty, I'd like to give it another go. Otherwise, though, I can't recommend it.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:44 am UTC

Goldstein wrote:my gardens would just turn up nothing

I'm pretty sure you have to replant them, so to speak, after a certain number of days.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:35 am UTC

And if you meant 'nothing' as in, very little, it's because you're being too frugal with Color. You must have heard someone say "The more you give, the more you get"? If you give a tree like three bits of Color, it'll give you five after the first cycle and two or three after that. Give a tree the full amount (around twenty) and it will give you double that after the first cycle, and half of it each cycle after. It's the fundamental paradox of the game: you want as much Color as possible, but to get as much as possible you have to give as much as possible without killing yourself.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:01 am UTC

We're getting away from Great Steam Deals here (Void thread?), but I picked up on both of those points whilst playing the game. I recall putting about 60 colour into a tree and receiving a return of about 5 on the first cycle it produced anything. I can only assume that it was because it was the second time I used the garden, but I don't recall any explanation of what I was to do about it.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:21 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Mr. Mack wrote:Until July 4 Beat Hazard is on sale for $5 US.
I put even odds that it will be $2 at some point before the end of the week, if it doesn't get bundled with something else. Steady your hand!
Aw yeah, I totally called it.

By the way, that Penumbra game everyone was raving about? D2D is currently selling it at 50% of Steam's sale price. Granted, it will also probably be five bucks on Steam at some point in the time remaining, but I can't imagine it will be cheaper. Or will it..?
http://www.direct2drive.com/7978/produc ... mpid=d2d11

[By the way, does the sale end at noon on July 4, or noon on July 5?]

What's the word on Prototype? I'd rather have Infamous, I think, but then I don't have a PS3 and probably never will.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:51 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:By the way, that Penumbra game everyone was raving about? D2D is currently selling it at 50% of Steam's sale price. Granted, it will also probably be five bucks on Steam at some point in the time remaining, but I can't imagine it will be cheaper. Or will it..?
http://www.direct2drive.com/7978/produc ... mpid=d2d11

[By the way, does the sale end at noon on July 4, or noon on July 5?]

Hmm, that is a good deal, esp because it includes the first one too, whereas the steam one is just the second 2. But I really would rather have it on steam, and I'd pay a couple bucks more just for the ease of installation and access steam provides. I'll wait till the last day of the sale though, maybe it will be on the daily deals.

I guess we will find out on July 4th, because the daily countdown timer will say. Probably noon July 5th I would think.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

I still can't find three more people for a Borderlands 4-pack. Anyone?

Zorlin

Postby Zorlin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

Damn it - I'm going to let Borderlands drop because I have no moneys in my account.

Purchases so far:
Spoiler:
Osmos
2.49 USD
Grand Theft Auto IV
4.99 USD
Introversion Complete Pack - Summer 2010
5.00 USD
Sacraboar
2.00 USD
QuantZ
2.50 USD
Zeno Clash
7.49 USD
Best of the Underground
4.99 USD
DiRT
3.39 USD
Cogs
4.99 USD
FlatOut Ultimate Carnage
2.00 USD
Thief: Deadly Shadows
2.99 USD
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
3.74 USD
Bioshock
4.99 USD
Saints Row 2
7.49 USD
Steam is bleeding me dry. :(
Mysterious wizard rabbit of unknown proportions.

Check out #xkcd-hugs movie night! Watch movies with your fellow xkcdians.

Meaux_Pas wrote:You're all mad.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:55 pm UTC

novax6 wrote:I guess we will find out on July 4th, because the daily countdown timer will say. Probably noon July 5th I would think.
Yup, one more day. http://store.steampowered.com/news/4020/

Come on, Dreamfall!

cv4

Postby cv4 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

Zorlin wrote:Steam is bleeding me dry. :(

Yeah, I am at

Torchlight
Introversion Pack
Flotilla
Borderlands
SupCom2
Civ4 pack
Plants vs. Zombies
Audiosurf
THQ Pack

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

So far it's just been Osmos and Trine, but when Thanks Will Smith For Killing The Aliens day kicks in, I'll click yes to Quantz, Chains, Introversion [already have Darwinia/Multiwinia from last time around, but it's cheaper than geting Defcon separate] and SuperLazerRacer. World of Goo I'm getting from today's set.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

I haven't bought a whole lot in this sale. I already own all the good games and Steam, and a pretty good portion of the bad ones!

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

I just realized, being a game designer/developer myself, I have the good fortune of being extremely picky, thus protecting my bank account from what would otherwise be its inevitable demise.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:08 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:I just realized, being a game designer/developer myself extremely tight, I have the good fortune of being extremely picky, thus protecting my bank account from what would otherwise be its inevitable demise.

Hey, me too!

Return to “Gaming”