2 player co-op pc games

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

drunken

2 player co-op pc games

Postby drunken » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:46 am UTC

Hi everyone,
I was just looking for suggestions for some good 2 player co-operative pc games. Now before you all jump in with your favourites, there are some severe restrictions:

Her computer is useless and my graphics card is fried, so nothing above D2 or Civ3 in terms of hardware.
As a girl she doesn't have the same bloodlust as the majority of the gaming market so any games that involve killing things and nothing else are also out.

That narrows it down so much, especially the second one. On the plus side we can handle lan, net, hotseat. I have a psx emulator but no controllers.

Ok I think that is all
***This post is my own opinion and no claim is being made that it is in any way scientific nor intended to be construed as such by any reader***

Baldur

Re: 2 player co-op pc games

Postby Baldur » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:24 am UTC

drunken wrote:As a girl she person who doesn't have the same bloodlust as the majority of the gaming market, any games that involve killing things and nothing else are also out.

Just a slight bone to pick with your wording there - not all girls dislike those types of games.

Secondly, try the Gaming Sub Forum, which is dedicated to gaming in all forms, to recieve a better reply to your query.
Gojoe wrote:YOU ARE NOT LOLSAUR AT ALL ARE YOU!

phlip wrote:Hey, you never know, it could have been Baldur...

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:06 am UTC

Old yet fun non-violent co-op games? Some of the Settlers series qualify, off the top of my head (I remember I used to play Settlers split-screen with my best friend back in the '90s). I think Settlers 4 - which is contemporary with Civ3 - supported online co-op, but you'll want to confirm that because I don't really remember - it's ages since I played it.

Also, the Heroes of Might and Magic series is decent for co-op play, if that's not too violent (I'd think it should be ok, my sister really enjoys it, and she's not really into the bloodlust type games). I'd recommend HoMM3 for your hardware limits - HoMM4 isn't as good and HoMM5 is too new. That can be played either hotseat or over LAN/internet. Sidenote: I highly recommend you never try to play a versus game of any turn based strategy in hotseat mode, it's perhaps the least sociable gaming experience ever, as one player basically has to leave the room when it's the other player's turn, so you never actually see each other.

Both of those games take a while though (like, freaking hours to play a single game).

And yeah - perhaps a kindly mod could move this to the Gaming Subforum?

Sonic132

Postby Sonic132 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Perhaps one of the Worms series?
Of course, that wouldn't work if her dislike of violent video games extends to cartoony anthromorphic worms shooting (relatively) gigantic and silly weapons at another.
Also, does she like strategy games or just what I call "light" games, as in, ones that take only a short amount of time to set up and master but get boring easily?

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:00 am UTC

Battle For Wesnoth, maybe? It's somewhat violent, being a strategy game, but no worse than Age of Empires. Speaking of which, most strategy / civ building games will let you cooperate.

The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series let you play multiplayer co-op, but again, also have some violence.

TIGD also gives me Blockland (and Return to Blockland), the Clonk series, Minecraft, Push-Push Penguin, Treasure Treasure, and FLaiL. I've not played most of them so I can't really give an opinion (although I will point out that FLaiL is rather difficult).

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:18 am UTC

If it's not too much of a hack-and-slash, the expansions and downloadable campaigns for Neverwinter Nights can be pretty fun co-op, but I suspect it would tax your PCs a touch too much. Certainly the Hordes of the Underdark expansion has a few sloppily designed sections (that damnable vanishing-wall maze room) which make even good PCs slow to a crawl.

Return to “Gaming”