Games from your childhood

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:31 am UTC

Age of Empires - great game, like Civ mixed with C&C
Theme Hospital - loads of incredibly funny diseases to cure (eg. hairyitis)
Dungeon Keeper - another great Bullfrog game
Time Crisis - with a light gun, for the playstation, brilliant!
Doom - playing thorugh again at the moment (up to e3m6)
Tomb Raider
Red Alert
Lucasarts adventure games
Final Fantasy _
Worms.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

ShadeWolf
Not to be confused with the well-lit variety

Postby ShadeWolf » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:31 am UTC

The games i remember playing when i was younger

Civilization I
Jones in the fast lane
Dune 2
Zac Mckracken
Tie Fighter
Alex Kidd in miracle world
The wolf that walks in the dark is no more.

lnev

Postby lnev » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:28 am UTC

lots of adventure games (legend of kyrandia, simon the sorcerer, monkey island, day of the tentacle, indiana jones, sam'n'max, ...)
slicks'n'slides
sensible (world of) soccer

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:EVO: The Search for Eden

Easily the best game I've ever played. If you haven't played it, go out and download an emulator/rom.

QTMEGOADAIS

Quoted to make everyone go out and do as I say.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Darkly

Postby Darkly » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:27 am UTC

Super Metroid. Super fucking Metroid I say :!:

Also Mario Bros. 3 and Chrono Trigger.

Maril

Postby Maril » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:51 pm UTC

Ape Escape
Super Smash Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
Tekken
MGS (I loved it even though I had my brother guide me through most of it.)

andy11235

Re: Games from your childhood

Postby andy11235 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:46 am UTC

PC
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiago
Chips Challenge (beat it eventually. That game gets hard!)
Age of Empires II
The Incredible Machine - (only a couple of levels though. My grandparents had it)

Gameboy
Pokemon RB GS
Super Mario World 2 - (I think? It had Wario in it as the Big Bad)

N64
Zelda OoT
Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros
Zelda MM
Perfect Dark

I also liked Donkey Kong 64, even if there was far too much item collecting.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Actually from my childhood, as in when I was about 6: Granny's Garden is the first game I remember playing, I guess around 1989, when I was ~5. There was some typing game as well at about that age (I learned to touch type at about the same time as I learned to write joined up writing). Then Hugo's House of Horrors and the sequels. Plus a 3D pacman game, asteroids and space invaders. We had all Sean O'Connor's windows games; Rats was awesome (I think everyone in the family played it), I loved Slay and I played Mother of All Battles a LOT throughout the mid-late 90s. We had some kind of rogue-like game as well, but I can't remember what it was.

After that I moved on to what I class as 'real' games. Starting with Theme Park, but then Age of Empires, HoMM2, C&C and Civ at the age of ~11 (1995-6). My best friend and I were so excited when Civ 2 came out. We spent every lunch break for weeks hunched over the fold-out tech tree or the manual, classes were hushed discussions of strategy using hastily scribbled maps of our games. The only thing that compares was the release of HoMM3 - I snuck out of school and bought it on the day of release in morning break, then we spent all of lunch time reading the manual in awe. We used to stay over each others houses at weekends playing HoMM3 in co-op hotseat mode from 6am to midnight.

And while I'm on the subject, we used to play C&C: Tib Sun in co-op over our dial-up connections all the time. In the age before mobiles and broadband connections it was unbelievably difficult to coordinate a dial-up game. You had to phone up to arrange it, then get off the phone to dial and connect. Then when that didn't work you had to phone up again, repeatedly, until the friend realised you weren't the computer trying to connect to his modem and picked up the phone. And of course half the time when you were trying to connect, your friend's mother would pick up the phone before the modem did. Arrggh!

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:46 pm UTC

I had a thing for dungeon-crawlers and flyers way back when... stuff like Moraff's Revenge/World, Wizardry: Proving Grounds on the Mad Overlord, heck, even Arcana for the SNES.

As for the flyers, it was a healthy mix of freeware shoot-em-ups (hi Raptor. I miss you), space sims like Xwing or Wing Commander, or more realistic ones like Chuck Yeager's Air Combat or SWOTL.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

SCSI Port

Postby SCSI Port » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:25 am UTC

I remember playing GoldenEye for hours with friends. We played multiplayer Starfox 64, but I was never too good.

I remember Wolfenstein 3d on my LCIII. There are two things still haunt me about that game: the guys with the chest-pistol things and when the designers put an enemy right before the end of the level.

And for the avid Oregon Trail players, I present:
http://www.virtualapple.org/oregontraildisk.html .
(Watch out for typhoid!)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:43 am UTC

I recall the game Ecco the Dolphin. I remember that game being ridiculously hard.

Then I came back to it, and had a moment like in comic 255.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I recall the game Ecco the Dolphin. I remember that game being ridiculously hard.

Then I came back to it, and had a moment like in comic 255.
For example, I remember in Ghosts and Goblins finding it really hard and barely being able to make it to level 3.

Today...... I can't even make it to the boss of level 1. The Miniboss usually kills me.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

infernovia

Postby infernovia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:20 pm UTC

That game was hard!

I remember playing super mario. Got to the swimming world (it had no saves).

But fighters usually take the cake for me.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

Exile 1, 2, 3.
EV: Nova
Morrowwind
FFX
Omni.

micco

Postby micco » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Super Mario Bros.
Simon's Quest (aka.) Castlevania 2)
Tetris
Mega man 2.
H.E.R.O
Silent service.
All of those games still rock.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:24 am UTC

Spanning quite a length of time, depending on what you classify as "childhood":

Anything with Mega Man
Mario games 2 through Super Mario World (1 is excluded solely because I sucked at it and could never beat it, DAMN YOU LEVEL 8-1 AND YOUR IMPOSSIBLE JUMP AT THE END, DAMN YOOOOOOU!).
Link to the Past
Contra
Street Fighter 2
One Must Fall 2097
Shinobi series for Game Gear
Double Dragon
Batman: Return of the Joker (old NES game)
Battletoads (Yayy, pain!)
Ninja Gaiden

And if we go REALLY, REALLY far back.........

Boulderdash
Also, some old series of games called Tink Tonk, or something like that....can barely remember, I was so little at the time...
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

phider2

Postby phider2 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:53 am UTC

My step-dad introduced me to some old DOS shareware games when I was about 8 (2000 or so), which probably best defines my childhood.

In a rough order of how much I played them:
Secret Agent
Crystal Caves
Paganitzu
Some rougelike(like), don't remember the title. I just remember that it played WAY too fast (like, you hold a direction, and you go through 3 rooms in about 2 seconds) on my amazing Pentium 100MHz. I call it a roguelikelike because it didn't have randomly generated levels.
Mystic Castles

Also notable are some not-quite-as-old PC games, like a 3D frogger remake (And "3D Frog Frenzy," a kind of weird frogger clone with powerups (and downs) and such.) and Croc 2.

I didn't really have many consoles until more recently (I'm 16 now), but I got an NES from a thrift store sale ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD (I swear that made the cartridge slot worse than it already was) for $5. My favorite games, IIRC, were Double Dribble, Techmo Bowl... I didn't have many games, so that's it I guess.

frogman

Postby frogman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:19 am UTC

The ones that stick out right now are Myst and its superior sequel Riven, and Chip's Challenge. Still play those.
yeah yeah yeah

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:01 am UTC

A lot of DOS games:

Secret Agent
Duke Nukem I & II
Cosmo
Wacky Wheels

If the Living Books or Magic School Bus games count, add them, add them, add them.

PS1 games:

Gran Turismo
Wip3out
Sled Storm

But, alas, the one that crowns them all:

Final Fantasy VIII

Yell at me all you want, it's still my favourite game of all time. :P
I think it's the music that makes it brilliant.

pancake bunny

Postby pancake bunny » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:27 am UTC

sill pretty much a child but from when i was really young: Army men , Army men II and Heros of Might and Magic.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:27 am UTC

Zoombinis!! (Logical Trail there of) Is that an obscure one? I didn't think it was, but I guess it could be.

We had some other games for Window 95, like 3-D Dinosaurs, 3-D Human Body (back when 3-D was still exciting and virtual reality was going to happen) Treasure Cove, Jewels of the Oracle (kind of like Myst junior), and these sort of educational games we got in the mail. Oh, and Jump Start games, but I think my siblings got more into that than I did.

We also had a hand-me-down NES, for which we had a bunch of games, like Mario (it was on a cartridge with Duck Hunt and Olympics), Zelda II, Pinball, a Simpsons game, a Tom and Jerry game, and a Little Nemo game.

My dad also had a Gameboy, one of the early ones, with a clear plastic case (we still have it, and it's beautiful) Tetris, Kirby Pinball, and later Pokemon blue (I went to a competition thing at the mall, and made it to the second round and got a water badge keychain deal).

The earliest I can remember were for this computer that needed a floppy disk to do anything, and were Oregon Trail, something like Circus Math, this text adventure with aliens that I got about two steps into, and this game where you pick a fish to play with and then you encounter other things and decide whether to eat, ignore, escape shallow, escape deep, and if the bird doesn't eat you, then "you live to a ripe old age".

Okay, this is an alarming amount of brain space that I've spent on these things.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Lego Rock Raiders is awesome.
I want to make an open clone that runs on Linux, but I don't know enough about game development, and I'm not sure how different it would have to be to avoid legal BS from Lego.

That's the only childhood game I feel like remembering atm.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:52 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:3-D Dinosaurs, 3-D Human Body

I had those too!

capawe

Postby capawe » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:53 am UTC

The school computers had Age of Empires installed on them so most of my school days were spent playing against friends. It would get really competitive to the point where I would practice at home just so I could think up new strategies to use at school.

frogman

Postby frogman » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:53 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:Zoombinis!! (Logical Trail there of) Is that an obscure one? I didn't think it was, but I guess it could be.

Zoombinis were awesome! I'd forgotten about them!
yeah yeah yeah

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:57 am UTC

eee, For a minute there I thought no one knew that one.

Amnesiasoft wrote:

I had those too!
Dude, what was the dinosaur that screamed at you in the maze-rescue game? "RAAAHH! I'm a ??? cousin of the velociraptor, and just as mean. Next time you better watch where you're going or I might just eat you!" I obviously learned a lot from these games.
oh, hey, there were other games in that series I remember now. (wow, check out those graphics. amazing).

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:40 am UTC

Age of Empires 2
Jazz Jackrabbit
Need for Speed II SE
Jezzball
Chips Challenge
Ski-Free
Crystal Caves
Secret Agent
Wacky Wheels
Theme Hospital
Jill of the Jungle
Word Rescue
Math Rescue
Hi-Octane
Nestle Milo Skateboarding Game(I have never been able to find a referance to this on the internet, anywhere :( )
Unreal Tournament
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Pokemon Red/Blue
Lemmings
Worms (2D)
GTA (2D)
That trivia game built into Encarta
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:01 am UTC

frogman wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:Zoombinis!! (Logical Trail there of) Is that an obscure one? I didn't think it was, but I guess it could be.

MORE TOPPINGS!

Zoombinis was awesome.

I was also a fan of
Breakout
Tetris
Rayman (PC)
Civ2
Super Ultra Pinball 3D Creep Night (or something like that)
Super Mario World (the one finished SNES game we owned. The rest were all prerelease EA games(my dad is a coder) and full of bugs)
Lode Runner 2 (Among other things I remember the credits being playable as a level, not quite understanding the level creator, and being scared of the black-robed monks)
Donkey Kong Country (Gameboy)
Felix the Cat (Gameboy)
Pokemon Gold and Blue (in that order, I got Blue because I wanted to trade with a friend)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

And lots of other stuff I can't remember right now.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:eee, For a minute there I thought no one knew that one.

Amnesiasoft wrote:

I had those too!
Dude, what was the dinosaur that screamed at you in the maze-rescue game? "RAAAHH! I'm a ??? cousin of the velociraptor, and just as mean. Next time you better watch where you're going or I might just eat you!" I obviously learned a lot from these games.
oh, hey, there were other games in that series I remember now. (wow, check out those graphics. amazing).

Oh my goodness, that could have been written by me, pretty much. I was also born in 1985, we got a lovely Packard-Bell in 1994, and...wow, that takes me back to when I was 10. I didn't know anyone else still remembered that piece of...work that was MegaRace.

Unfortunately, that reads like he's still 10 years old. :(
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:15 am UTC

aion7 wrote:
frogman wrote:

MORE TOPPINGS!

Zoombinis was awesome.
Oh me yarm me too! I remember that pizza puzzle! I think it was on a school computer, which I only had access to once a week... I wonder how far I ever got. Oh, I think I remember the mudball thing... maybe even the mirrors? Good lord. I'd entirely forgotten.

*checks OP to discover actual purpose of thread* Yeah, most of the video games I ever played were with my cousin on weekend stayovers or at school, so I didn't have much in-depth experience, or many with proper plots... Of those, the standouts in a good way would be... Oregon Trail, apparently every school and library computer ever had a copy of that. Mario Kart on the SNES! I was good at it once, then I stopped playing so often and could not reliably get the kart to even go straight ahead... >_> I used to watch my cousin play Legend of Zelda, that opening music creeped the hell out of me and I don't know why... Mario Paint! That was awesome. SimCity 2/3000, I have fond memories of that-- don't remember which it was, but it had a sandbox mode, and that was pretty awesome. And Pokemon Silver. (yeah, latecomer as usual)

ThePurpleSmurf

Postby ThePurpleSmurf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

Age of Empires
Civilization
Starcraft
Warcraft
Where in the World is Carmen Santiago?- I still have this one, although I haven't played it in years.
Also, on the subject of board games- Stratego was one of my favorites as a child, along with Monopoly.
There is no method to my madness.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:46 pm UTC

It's Sandiego, not Santiago.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

capawe wrote:The school computers had Age of Empires installed on them so most of my school days were spent playing against friends. It would get really competitive to the point where I would practice at home just so I could think up new strategies to use at school.

There was a gaming club in my high school that I went to a few times. They mainly played AoE. First game one day, everyone was pounding away at each other, until one kid started kicking ass with a mob of horse archerers. He ended up taking down everyone else and winning. Next game I stole and refined his strategy. I picked the civilization with horse archer bonuses, and dumped all my resources into upgrading only them. I absolutely dominated. The game took maybe 15 minutes. The next game they decided I wasn't allowed to do that anymore, so they picked a map with tons of islands, then ganged up on me.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Return to “Gaming”