Starcraft 2 : The Dune II Clone

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

J the Ninja

Re: Starcraft 2 : The Dune II Clone

Postby J the Ninja » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:Superb game you must watch (will add link when it's up)

Kiwikaki v Stephano Game 2, IPL 3

JP: holy fuck
Incontrol: ...I was there to see that

This. 1000 times this. Holy fucking shit, that was a crazy (55 minute!) game, almost the whole map mined out, down the 3 mineral patches at the end.

My favorite part:

Spoiler:
At the end, Kiwikaki mass recalls into Stefano's main, kills the hive, infestation pit, greater spire, and spawning pool, floats mothership away, mass recalls back out. Then a few minutes later after the mothership recharges, he does some crazy double-vortex colossus toilet to end the game.

I stepped out around the 20-minute mark to help unload groceries, figured I might catch the end of game 3, came back to find game 2 was STILL GOING.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:28 am UTC

That was my favourite part too.

Spoiler:
How did a Zerg survive a split map on even bases? Zerg is meant to be much less cost efficient, but if it wasn't for the double vortex archon toilet Zerg completely had that game won.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:07 am UTC

So it seems the matchmaking gods are matching me exclusively against silver now (including a high percentage of high upper-ranks silver)

but I'm still in bronze...
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

yurell

Postby yurell » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:09 am UTC

It takes a while before it's sure, but that's a sign that you will get a promotion soon!
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:03 am UTC

Most accounts found throughout the internet say it takes 5-10 games, usually. If you're getting silvers constantly (no bronze at all) and your win rate against them is over 50%, sit tight, the promotion is coming in a few more games.

On a related note, I've been getting matched against plats more lately. Sadly, this may be correlated with my recent losing streak. :(
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

A link to the epic game mentioned above: http://www.justin.tv/ignproleague/b/297001692
Jump ahead to about 32 minutes in the video.

Game_boy wrote:
Spoiler:
How did a Zerg survive a split map on even bases? Zerg is meant to be much less cost efficient, but if it wasn't for the double vortex archon toilet Zerg completely had that game won.

Spoiler:
Brood lords are really good. For most of the middle of the game, it was brood lords vs stalker/colossus. There literally isn't a ground unit that fares well against brood lords. This allowed Stephano to keep pushing Kiwikaki behind in the food count each time they engaged.

It's actually somewhat of an issue IMO. Battlecruisers are okay, and carriers are almost-okay, but brood lords are extremely good against everything on the ground (ok, except ghosts). I don't think that's entirely justified by them having no anti-air attack.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Not having anti-air would be meaningful if the direct necessary precursor to brood lords didn't happen to be Zerg's premium anti-air unit. As it stands, Zerg is required by their tech tree to compensate for brood lords' main weakness in order to use them at all. Then in engagements, they can tailor their composition of air-to-air vs. air-to-ground at a moment's notice, via unit positioning and morphing more or fewer corruptors.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:10 pm UTC

Well, I'm gold league, but from what I've picked up watching pro replays and reading stuff about SC2 the terran responses include Ghosts and Vikings and the protoss responses are primarily blink stalkers. And maybe Voids.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

Re: Broodlords.

Broodlords at the bottom of the longest tech tree in the entire game.

So, ya know, them rocking is pretty fair.

And unlike carriers and battlecruisers, the previous unit composition you build isn't countered by the same units. Blink stalkers can do something against broodlords, but it isn't as if it is anywhere close to a hard counter.

I do find it funny how collossi are actually somewhat useful against broodlords -- they help clean out the broodlings while your stalkers attack the BLs. Problem is, any corruptors the enemy has a target.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

psion

Postby psion » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Not having anti-air would be meaningful if the direct necessary precursor to brood lords didn't happen to be Zerg's premium anti-air unit. As it stands, Zerg is required by their tech tree to compensate for brood lords' main weakness in order to use them at all. Then in engagements, they can tailor their composition of air-to-air vs. air-to-ground at a moment's notice, via unit positioning and morphing more or fewer corruptors.

They're still mutually exclusive and only morph one way. If brood lords came directly from larva they'd technically be even stronger.

TheBanana

Postby TheBanana » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

IPL 3, quarter / semi finals
Spoiler:
Stephano is in the semi-final. This guy's pretty damn good. I'm excited to see his ZvT and hopefully he doesn't get cheesed out against StC like Idra did.
- screen name: theBanana on SC2
gamer id: #256

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

psion wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:Not having anti-air would be meaningful if the direct necessary precursor to brood lords didn't happen to be Zerg's premium anti-air unit. As it stands, Zerg is required by their tech tree to compensate for brood lords' main weakness in order to use them at all. Then in engagements, they can tailor their composition of air-to-air vs. air-to-ground at a moment's notice, via unit positioning and morphing more or fewer corruptors.

They're still mutually exclusive and only morph one way. If brood lords came directly from larva they'd technically be even stronger.

Battlecruisers take 90 seconds to build, carriers 120. A larva can become a brood lord in 74 seconds - and you only need half the money at the beginning. You also only need 1 tech structure to make 20 at once. There's no hiding that the brood lord is the most "usable" of the massive air units.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Well, I'm gold league, but from what I've picked up watching pro replays and reading stuff about SC2 the terran responses include Ghosts and Vikings and the protoss responses are primarily blink stalkers. And maybe Voids.

Broodlords are terrible against a lot of ground units by themselves. A handful of marines can easily stim and run into range and snipe 3-4 broodlords. Thors (with BFH on command to follow them to clear up the broodlings) trade nearly efficiently with pure broodlords. They start getting dangerous when you have a good number of banelings to chase out the marines, or even better, infestors to just lock down their ground army and keep it from getting underneath the brood lords.

Anyone wondering about the whole having to make corruptors thing with broodlords, and whether triple starport void ray is a good counter to > 12 brood lord based army should go watch Stephano vs. Inori game 2 from IPL.

Also: you may see me on NA a bit more now... I do actually get half the ping to a server on the other side of the world due to how bad routing is in Australia, and I'm sick of playing mid-high masters on SEA and getting smashed cause I just can't split against banes or dodge storms properly with 450ms ping. I just wish more of you were on during my evenings (since most of the people I'm friends with who play this game are on SEA :()

EDIT: also, playing Toss on NA atm, and beating diamonds with it is a nice feeling (I've only used it trying to help some bronze/silver mates work on their TvP before). PvP is actually kinda fun now on maps where you don't have to 4 gate every time. Chrono out some sentries while going robo and sometimes even expanding. :D
Last edited by |Erasmus| on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:23 am UTC

psion wrote:
If they came directly from larva with the exact time total morph time, they'd actually be weaker. It would require more money up front, and you wouldn't be allowed to change your mind half way, and you couldn't move them around as fast-moving corruptors to a staging area then upgrade them to broodlords. Nor could you build corruptors, take out the opponents air force, then morph most of your (now useless) corruptors into broodlords.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Yakk pretty much most of the points I was thinking of. Additionally, the flow of unit production for a Zerg who is trying to keep up an active force of brood lords, while either taking casualties or preparing to take casualties and reinforce, is such that you will almost always have some corruptors around. You can certainly morph too many brood lords, but other races can make similar mistakes and will have a much harder time recovering compared to Zerg because of the time it takes to remax.

There are also a lot more options for microing a group of corruptors and brood lords than there would be for a group of homogenous units that can target air and ground. This doesn't directly affect the weakness of brood lords to air-to-air forces, but in my mind it's another point in favor of having the particular setup that zerg have with their late-game air units, regardless of the weaknesses of the individual units.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

psion

Postby psion » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:01 am UTC

Well, I disagree. Not that I even want this change to happen, but for argument's sake:
Yakk wrote:It would require more money up front

When I build corruptors, I gauge my gas income so that all of them can morph as soon as they finish. No one can perfectly gauge it 100% of the time, so brood lord production can be staggered, which is suboptimal. Coming directly from larva removes that problem entirely. I don't care if I have to pay more up front when I bank the resources to morph them anyway.
Yakk wrote:you wouldn't be allowed to change your mind half way

You wouldn't be in a position where you'd want to. Corruptors aren't too good against anything. Maybe you could get lucky and a protoss does a stargate heavy attack on you just as you switch into brood lords, or something?.. Meh, you should have seen it coming from a mile away and have not gone towards brood lords at all, but even if you didn't, a handful of corruptors aren't going to do a whole lot to save you.
Yakk wrote:you couldn't move them around as fast-moving corruptors to a staging area then upgrade them to broodlords.

That's valid, but I don't see it as a big of a deal as the production problem I mentioned above. One could have a hatchery at the staging area purely for brood lord production so that they're always safe at a negligible cost. On some maps you wouldn't even need it though.
Yakk wrote:Nor could you build corruptors, take out the opponents air force, then morph most of your (now useless) corruptors into broodlords.

When does that actually happen? I think the last time I've seen that happen was when corruptors had contamination back in the beta.
Bakemaster wrote:Additionally, the flow of unit production for a Zerg who is trying to keep up an active force of brood lords, while either taking casualties or preparing to take casualties and reinforce, is such that you will almost always have some corruptors around.

Well, I'd say that that's the problem. Those corruptors are taking up gas and supply and not making themselves very useful until they're morphed. Thus, skipping corruptors in the production of brood lords would be a small buff.

Bakemaster wrote:There are also a lot more options for microing a group of corruptors and brood lords than there would be for a group of homogenous units that can target air and ground. This doesn't directly affect the weakness of brood lords to air-to-air forces, but in my mind it's another point in favor of having the particular setup that zerg have with their late-game air units, regardless of the weaknesses of the individual units.

Eh? By micro options, do you mean micro requirements for equal efficiency? I mean, if the marine was split into two units, one that fired only at air and one that fired only at ground... You'd have to micro them to better fulfill their roles but I'd never consider that an inherent strength.
Though you reminded me to mention that I don't find brood lords to be on the same level as as battlecruisers and carriers. 10 brood lords and 10 corruptors is a tough army, but 20 carriers/battlecruisers are unkillable without a very deliberate counter.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:22 am UTC

Doesn't 20 battlecruisers ~= 20 broodlords + 20 corruptors? Carriers are effectively 450/250/6, battlecruisers 400/300/6 and broodlord + corruper is 450/350/6. At the very least it should be about 16 of each...
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

Psion wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:Additionally, the flow of unit production for a Zerg who is trying to keep up an active force of brood lords, while either taking casualties or preparing to take casualties and reinforce, is such that you will almost always have some corruptors around.

Well, I'd say that that's the problem. Those corruptors are taking up gas and supply and not making themselves very useful until they're morphed. Thus, skipping corruptors in the production of brood lords would be a small buff.

Because cocoons make themselves very useful and don't take up gas or supply?
Psion wrote:Eh? By micro options, do you mean micro requirements for equal efficiency? I mean, if the marine was split into two units, one that fired only at air and one that fired only at ground... You'd have to micro them to better fulfill their roles but I'd never consider that an inherent strength.

Let's say you have marines attacking an expansion guarded by a pack of mutas. You run your pack of N marines into the mutas to take full advantage of their DPS and kill the mutas while taking as few casualties as possible. Then you engage the expac and kill it off using whatever DPS you have left over. On the other hand, if you have twice as many marines, N of which target only ground and N of which target only air, you can move the latter group in first to take out the mutas while avoiding any loss of ground DPS. This assumes the split marines individually have the same DPS as the standard marine; in reality, though we have no joined brood lord and corruptor unit with which to compare, and other races' massive air units are a poor comparison, it is a general rule of strategy games that "specialized" units represent a trade-off between the variety of situations in which they are useful and the amount of damage they can do when they are useful, in favor of the latter. Yeah, there are a ton of other mechanics that can come into play (hydras vs roaches might be a counter-example to this rule), but in a theoretical vacuum, flexibility is inversely related to DPS.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Doesn't 20 battlecruisers ~= 20 broodlords + 20 corruptors? Carriers are effectively 450/250/6, battlecruisers 400/300/6 and broodlord + corruper is 450/350/6. At the very least it should be about 16 of each...
The proper way to compare zerg unit strength is always 1 unit vs 1 unit, silly. At best, 1 larva vs 1 unit.

Which is why zerglings suck. :)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:37 pm UTC

Haven't you seen the 1 Ultralisk Larva vs. 700 Marines video on youtube?

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:Which is why zerglings suck. :)

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

I love my lings! They're all swarmy with their little wings and their cute little faces I just wanna snuggle 'em and then tell them to dog pile and eat a few marines...
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:
Yakk wrote:Which is why zerglings suck. :)

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

I love my lings! They're all swarmy with their little wings and their cute little faces I just wanna snuggle 'em and then tell them to dog pile and eat a few marines...

They're cute from really far away but not in the campaign cutscene or unit animation.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

I'm trying to imagine a zergling in pink fur...

A bladed pink furry death machine...

:shock:

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:They're cute from really far away but not in the campaign cutscene or unit animation.

LOOK AT IT!
LOOK AT IT AND TRY NOT TO PINCH ITS ADORABLE CHEEKS!
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Brood lord: 74 seconds
Battlecruiser: 90 seconds
Colossus: 75 seconds
Ultralisk: 55 seconds
Thor: 60 seconds
Carrier: 120 seconds (152 counting building other 4 interceptors)

WHY BLIZZARD, WHY??????

Did you know? Blizz's other idea instead of putting mothership accelerations back to 1.3something was to buff the carrier somehow? http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/356523 ... -9_22_2011

EDIT: STOP THE CARRIER QQ, BLIZZ UNVIELED A NEW ZERG UNIT:

https://www.facebook.com/StarCraft

(can't find a direct link atm)

For those who enjoy such things, here's Husky speculating about it: http://t.co/aasqfoXk
(he/him/his)

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:29 pm UTC

The new zerg unit is clearly a hydraroach.

now u may be asking how does this unit work? well i will tell u my friends. u may think is this just a hydra? no it is not. it is a hydra, sort of. but this hydra is riding on the back of a roach.

but , if its not a hydra and its not a roach how does it work? i will explain.

HYDRAROACH FAQ

Spoiler:
wat is the cost and supply of the hydraroach?
hydraroach costs 4 supply and costs 175/75, u may say how did u think of this cost and supply well u might notice this is the exact cost and supply of a hydra+roach units 2gether

how do i make the hydraroach?
there r 2 ways 2 make the hydraroach

1. make it with 2 eggs, the hotkey is pressing H and R 2gether. make sure to time this correctly because u may accidentally make a hydra and a roach separately and that would be disaster

2. upgrade roach saddle. burrow a roach. move hydra on top of roach. unburrow roach and boom u have a hydraroach. this actually works with any zerg unit, but u need 4 roaches + saddle upgrade 2 carry an ultralisk.

how does a hydraroach move?
a hydraroach moves as fast as a roach. if u have roach speed, it moves as fast as a roach with speed.

wat about high ground? can other units see the hydra part of my hydraroach?
the hydra part of the hydraroach is just like on high ground so ur enemies can't see it. but they can kill the roach and the hydra drops to the ground, taking 40 damage from his fall and is stunned 4 five seconds. u may upgrade hydra parachute and this won't happen.

can my hydraroach walk over cliffs?
the roach part cannot but hydra has ability called "dismount" and if u use it near a cliff hydra can walk off roach onto cliff.

can vikings and turrets hit my hydraroach?
yes. they can hit the hydra part of ur hydraroach. but a unit that only hits ground can only hit the roach part.

how does a hydraroach attack?
hydraroach has 2 attacks, 1 from the hydra and 1 from the roach.

how does burrowing work? this seems complicated...
dont worry I will explain 4 u.

to burrow u must press burrow twice, once to burrow the roach and then to burrow the hydra. to unburrow u need to press it twice as well.

this is good 4 tactix bc u can burrow only the roach and then hellions come and r like "yoyo lets kill this fool hydra!" but u just unburrow and boom u have a roach and the hellions r like oh shit wtf where did that roach come from??

how much space does a hydraroach take in an overlord?
this is the great thing about the hydraroach -- overlord can load just the hydra part, the roach just hangs out the bottom. so u can fit 4 into an overlord.

does a hydraroach have any counter?
no. the only counter to a hydraroach is to have more hydraroaches. but thors do good vs hydraroach bc it can kill hydra from long range using air attack then attack the roach.

if u have any tips or tricks or want 2 pre-add hydraroach to liquipedia, plz do so but credit me as the creator of this new unit thx

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=153275

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:43 pm UTC

I wish I could get past using "u", "r", "4", "ur", lack of capitalization, and such. But alas, it is too painful to read that whole thing, even if it started off somewhat funny.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm afraid I can't read it for that reason either.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I wish I could get past using "u", "r", "4", "ur", lack of capitalization, and such. But alas, it is too painful to read that whole thing, even if it started off somewhat funny.

It's not my joke, I linked to the TL thread I quoted at the bottom. So I left the original grammar intact. The thread was made over a year ago and the silhoutte looks remarkably like it.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

It looks very similar to what I thought about for a cliff walker. It would deploy in a base and gain some armor while doing area damage to buildings and units. Maybe acidic creep. I think I mainly want some sort of parasitic unit, assuming we aren't getting lurkers.

Bakemaster wrote:Because cocoons make themselves very useful and don't take up gas or supply?

Assume that you have 164 supply and build 10 corruptors. Now you can only morph 8 of them before you're maxed, so because you didn't have perfect foresight you essentially have one less brood lord in the supply of two corruptors that aren't doing anything. Or maybe you misjudge your gas income or you lose a base while you're building corruptors that were to be turned into brood lords. Same thing, useless corruptors waiting to be brood lords. Building brood lords directly sidesteps that whole problem.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

Last nite, I decided to attempt the funday monday for the upcoming week, and in a single try, I managed to end up in one of the weirdest games I've ever played. So I decided to try my hand at casting it myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5J2AjjEH6M
(he/him/his)

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

J the Ninja wrote:Last nite, I decided to attempt the funday monday for the upcoming week, and in a single try, I managed to end up in one of the weirdest games I've ever played. So I decided to try my hand at casting it myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5J2AjjEH6M

Can I point out an error in your cannon-rush technique?

Just before your cannon#1 is finished, move forward far enough that the far side of what you build is covered by your cannon #1. Then drop both a cannon and a pylon. Build the cannon first.

Do this instead of a tight cluster of cannons back at the original pylon -- the goal is to advance fast, not make your original emplacement hard to attack. You only have to be able to beat off at most a zealot and a handful of probes.

When the pylon warps in, wait 5 seconds, then move forward and drop another pylon and cannon. This should be in range of the enemy nexus.

Even if they spot the first "forward" cannon-pylon and react instantly, it is at most 75 game seconds until the nexus-killing cannon is in play (you can push it to 65 seconds, but then your forward pylon+cannon is unsupported by a back-cannon, which is risky). And a forge+cannon takes 85 game seconds to deploy. And in that 10 second gap, if you see a responding cannon via a forge, you can drop a 2nd cannon to reinforce (and still be out around when the enemy cannon is), and even a 3rd if need be.
Last edited by Yakk on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

You've got a microphone! You're more than fine at casting.

I played some FFAs yesterday after swiveldude's BL vs BC/carrier comment. Since the xkcd FFAs of old I've felt that 2 base carrier is the ideal FFA build. If BL+corruptor are as good as carriers or BCs (2 base BC is also pretty good), then it should work decently in an FFA as well. Well, no, I got rolled so hard that's it not even funny. I had as many spines, lings, and brood lords as I could afford, but I very plainly died to stalkers. Next game I tried carriers, won easily.

Anyway, the reason I'm saying that is because you keep mentioning how you love carriers but can never build them. Play an FFA. You can use my general build if you want.
Attachments
psion ffa carriers.rar
(98.93 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Got matched against a gold last night.

Still bronze.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Got matched against a gold last night.

Still bronze.

Ladder's locked, or soon will be. MMR still changes, but no promotions until the week of the 24th. (push it high enough, you should be able to place into silver or gold straight away)
(he/him/his)

psion

Postby psion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

It's probably not going to be that interesting, but I think I'll give streaming a try. I'm currently around high diamond in MMR, master league, 8 wins 3 losses, rank 79 with 947 bonus pool. So, I'm hoping to fix all that with some mass games. I'll also probably redo my spectre run on brutal difficulty at a non-horrific resolution at some point.

http://www.twitch.tv/vpsion

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

J the Ninja wrote:EDIT: STOP THE CARRIER QQ, BLIZZ UNVIELED A NEW ZERG UNIT:

https://www.facebook.com/StarCraft

(can't find a direct link atm)

For those who enjoy such things, here's Husky speculating about it: http://t.co/aasqfoXk

That is 100% a Paras. There is literally no way that outline can be anything but.

The Zerg are just the future history of Pokemon. This... this makes so much sense.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

psion

Postby psion » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:36 pm UTC

Graveler with a hat.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

psion wrote:Assume that you have 164 supply and build 10 corruptors. Now you can only morph 8 of them before you're maxed, so because you didn't have perfect foresight you essentially have one less brood lord in the supply of two corruptors that aren't doing anything. Or maybe you misjudge your gas income or you lose a base while you're building corruptors that were to be turned into brood lords. Same thing, useless corruptors waiting to be brood lords. Building brood lords directly sidesteps that whole problem.

I don't disagree, but that's not a balance issue, it's a unit management issue. I don't think making the management of a certain set of units simpler really counts as a buff to the units. And a better way to sidestep the problem is to practice until you don't make that sort of mistake any more. It's essentially the same kind of mistake as a Protoss player losing track of the different ways you can make an Archon. The flexibility of being able to pay more or less gas for an Archon depending on your available resources is worth far more than the potential drawback of getting confused by having too many options. Flexibility is everything. More options implies not only more difficulty but also more potency.

Return to “Gaming”