Starcraft 2 : The Dune II Clone

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

spacermase

Starcraft 2 : The Dune II Clone

Postby spacermase » Sat May 19, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

http://www.starcraft2.com

"Hell. It's about time!"
"You're all freaks, sir. But you always have been freaks. Life is a freak. That's it's hope and glory."
-Comment on humanity, The Stars My Destination, by Alfred Bester

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat May 19, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

Awesome.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat May 19, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

Diablo 3 would have been better.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat May 19, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

w00tzorz
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat May 19, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

The Zealot looks hot.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Sat May 19, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

Ah, this is going to be awesome.

Fallout 3, Starcraft 2. What more could i ask for?
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Sat May 19, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

stuck wrote:Fallout 3, Starcraft 2. What more could i ask for?

A release date within the next two years?
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Puellus Peregrinus
Sazl. Eliuo Sazl.

Postby Puellus Peregrinus » Sat May 19, 2007 4:16 pm UTC

That they actually finished making the Fallout3 this time? Seriously, they ought to rename if Fallout For Ever. </grumpy>
Romanes eunt domus!

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat May 19, 2007 4:18 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:

Spore?

World of Starcraft?

DIABLO THREE? D:<
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat May 19, 2007 4:26 pm UTC

World of Starcraft is one of about three MMORPGs I would ever pay for, along with EVE Online and a KOTOR-based SW MMORPG that didn't suck.

On topic, ZOMG!!!>1!11!!.
ImageImageImageImageImage

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Sat May 19, 2007 4:30 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:
Alisto wrote:

Spore?

World of Starcraft?

DIABLO THREE? D:<

More Vikings. Better, stronger, faster than they were before.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Berge

Postby Berge » Sat May 19, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

I had heard for a while that it was going to be an MMO. Having just kicked the WoW habit, that would have been like walking up to someone leaving an AA meeting, and hitting them in the head with a 40 year old bottle of scotch.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sat May 19, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

AAAAWWWWWW YEAH this is going to be awesome. I loved Starcraft so damn much in ye days of my youth, but this is going to be- be- *geek-gasm*

I just had to use that great term. Now we can only hope they'll release it on the same day as Spore. *double geek-gasm*

stuck
The Sandwichsmith of Legend

Postby stuck » Sat May 19, 2007 5:12 pm UTC

If and when Blizzard ever released D3 I think my mind might explode at the awesomeness.

In any event, news of the release/development of SC2 has made me search around for my SC1 discs.
Belial wrote:You, my friend, are my new fucking hero

NightStar
"Hold very still, Mr President....."

Postby NightStar » Sat May 19, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

Damn.

This means I will need a new computer.
Hawknc wrote:Madness?
THIS IS COLLEGE!
*Kicks a beer keg over a balcony*

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sat May 19, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

This should really be in News, I think...

But it is awesome, time-space transcending news.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat May 19, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

Two words

FUCKING YES!

I love blizzard
I fucking love em
Hell yes

SO EXCITED!
FUCKING YESS!!!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat May 19, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Diablo 3 would have been better.

Play both.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat May 19, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

No
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat May 19, 2007 7:30 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

Play both.

'tis not Diablo 3, nor should it be confused for it. And Hellgate: London looks really bad.

What happens to the world when the worldstone has been destroyed? How do things change now?
i hurd u liek mudkips???

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Sat May 19, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

Berge wrote:I had heard for a while that it was going to be an MMO. Having just kicked the WoW habit, that would have been like walking up to someone leaving an AA meeting, and hitting them in the head with a 40 year old bottle of scotch.

If your sig is what I think it is, here's your bottle.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Knavish

Postby Knavish » Sat May 19, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:

No

I second that.

I have advice for you ungrateful Diablo fans: Go away.

Tisk, tisk. First post and you've already made a mistake. This does not bode well.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat May 19, 2007 8:40 pm UTC

Knavish wrote:
fjafjan wrote:

No

I second that.

I have advise for you ungrateful Diablo fans: Go away.

I have advice for those that do not post in the introductions thread- don't make your first post a hostile one lest your belligerence be mistaken for trolling.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat May 19, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

Play both.

'tis not Diablo 3, nor should it be confused for it. And Hellgate: London looks really bad.

"Hellgate: London is a computer game under development by Flagship Studios. The design of the game is similar in a number of ways to the Diablo series, and is considered the spiritual sequel to Diablo II. This is due to influence of Flagship Studios co-founders including a number of ex-Blizzard North employees, including Diablo series creators Erich Schaefer and former President David Brevik. The other founders are Erich's brother Max Schaefer, former Blizzard North Vice President Bill Roper, and Diablo II producer Kenneth Williams.

The game, like its spiritual predecessor Diablo, builds heavily upon the core design of Roguelikes. Notably it embraces the game design philosophy of using random generation to allow for a high degree of replayability and countless unique gameplay experiences.

Difficulty will be balanced much like it is in Diablo II, where the opposition grows stronger as more players play in the instanced areas.

There are three factions that have been announced so far. The first is a melee-combat oriented faction referred to as the "Templar". Characters belonging to this faction are most similar to the "Paladin" and "Barbarian" character types in Diablo 2. The second is the "Cabalist", similar to the "Necromancer" and, to a lesser extent, the "Druid" character types in Diablo 2. The third is the "Hunter", similar to the "Amazon" character in Diablo 2.

The game has been revealed to consist of five acts to unify the areas a player travel through on a greater scale. This act system is also used in other games of the action-RPG genre, not to mention the five acts of Diablo II.

The weapons system also borrows from Diablo, with a number of base weapon types that can be upgraded with different types of fuel, batteries, or ammunition to increase damage. Weapons can also be dual wielded, with combinations such as a mêlée weapon in one hand and a pistol in another. Analogous to the over a hundred Diablo II base items, Hellgate: London will come with over a hundred weapons."

Yup, nothing like a Diablo sequel at all.

Berge

Postby Berge » Sat May 19, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

william wrote:
Berge wrote:I had heard for a while that it was going to be an MMO. Having just kicked the WoW habit, that would have been like walking up to someone leaving an AA meeting, and hitting them in the head with a 40 year old bottle of scotch.

Why have you done this thing!?!?

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sat May 19, 2007 9:10 pm UTC

william wrote:

La petite mort.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sat May 19, 2007 9:13 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:"Hellgate: London is a computer game under development by Flagship Studios. The design of the game is similar in a number of ways to the Diablo series, and is considered the spiritual sequel to Diablo II. This is due to influence of Flagship Studios co-founders including a number of ex-Blizzard North employees, including Diablo series creators Erich Schaefer and former President David Brevik. The other founders are Erich's brother Max Schaefer, former Blizzard North Vice President Bill Roper, and Diablo II producer Kenneth Williams.

The resignations were partly due to a conflict with Blizzard Entertainment's owner, Vivendi, and partly due to employees wishing to start something new. Back at Blizzard North, however, they would have a common effect; of the two unannounced games that were in production at the time, one was now forced to be canceled. Blizzard Entertainment has since said the canceled game was a "Blizzard North kind of game".

Blizzard North had been developing Diablo 3 long before Hellgate: London was announced. Blizzard then closed Blizzard North down and had the game scrapped due to the game's quality, or lack thereof.

The game, like its spiritual predecessor Diablo, builds heavily upon the core design of Roguelikes. Notably it embraces the game design philosophy of using random generation to allow for a high degree of replayability and countless unique gameplay experiences.

Difficulty will be balanced much like it is in Diablo II, where the opposition grows stronger as more players play in the instanced areas.

There are three factions that have been announced so far. The first is a melee-combat oriented faction referred to as the "Templar". Characters belonging to this faction are most similar to the "Paladin" and "Barbarian" character types in Diablo 2. The second is the "Cabalist", similar to the "Necromancer" and, to a lesser extent, the "Druid" character types in Diablo 2. The third is the "Hunter", similar to the "Amazon" character in Diablo 2.

Despite the fact that Hellgate: London is set in the far future (as seen with their energized body armor and guns that fire freakin' energy beams), these similarities are hardly intentional. The Hunter, Paladin, and Barbarian archetypes have existed for pretty much every RPG ever to fall into the hands of gamers.

The weapons system also borrows from Diablo, with a number of base weapon types that can be upgraded with different types of fuel, batteries, or ammunition to increase damage. Weapons can also be dual wielded, with combinations such as a mêlée weapon in one hand and a pistol in another. Analogous to the over a hundred Diablo II base items, Hellgate: London will come with over a hundred weapons."

Halo can also dual wield. Halo 3 == Diablo 2's spiritual successor? Oh boy, hundreds of items in Titan Quest. Titan Quest == Diablo 2's successor?

Yup, nothing like a Diablo sequel at all.

You may think that Hellgate: London is Diablo 2's sequel, but you'd be wrong. The rights for Diablo still belong to Blizzard, and as reinforced by Knaak's own statement during an interview about his book, The Sin War (set in the Diablo universe),

"This will be canon and has adjusted earlier info. The ramifications here will be used for any future project…and I ain’t writing for a dead game.

Q: So… Diablo 3?

A: I am not writing for a dead world…but a world with dead. Nuff said."
i hurd u liek mudkips???

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat May 19, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Halo 3

Speaking of Halo 3... that's the game that I'm looking forward to. I'll probably have to wait until I'm in Canader before I buy a 360 though...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat May 19, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Berge wrote:
william wrote:

Why have you done this thing!?!?

You....you FOOL! You've taken my life from me! DAMN YOU WILLIAM!

Also, the starcraft 2 trailer nearly made me wet myself
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Spag

Postby Spag » Sat May 19, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

there are gameplay videos all over youtube that will make you do the same.
They show some really shweet new units.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat May 19, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:
Peshmerga wrote:Halo 3

Speaking of Halo 3... that's the game that I'm looking forward to. I'll probably have to wait until I'm in Canader before I buy a 360 though...

Yes! I am playing the beta right now and it is lovely. Imagine Halo 2 with polished graphics and all the problems worked out (And with the mute button much closer to hand for those annoying Americans).

Berge

Postby Berge » Sat May 19, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

Jesster wrote: (And with the mute button much closer to hand for those annoying Americans).

:oops:

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat May 19, 2007 10:55 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Yes! I am playing the beta right now and it is lovely. Imagine Halo 2 with polished graphics and all the problems worked out (And with the mute button much closer to hand for those annoying Americans).

My little bro down south (that's literal, not a euphenism) has got it and he finds that for some reason he's kicking butt a lot more than he did in Halo 2. Guess there's a lot of newbies picking it up, or something?

hmm... I wonder how Halo Wars is progressing... (Dives into internets)

Knavish

Postby Knavish » Sun May 20, 2007 12:57 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:
Knavish wrote:
fjafjan wrote:

No

I second that.

I have advise for you ungrateful Diablo fans: Go away.

I have advice for those that do not post in the introductions thread- don't make your first post a hostile one lest your belligerence be mistaken for trolling.

I accept the grammar mistake, but the latter part of the post was made in jest. The emphasis was on that you're being ungrateful or pessimistic, not that you should "go away."

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun May 20, 2007 2:34 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:Blizzard North had been developing Diablo 3 long before Hellgate: London was announced. Blizzard then closed Blizzard North down and had the game scrapped due to the game's quality, or lack thereof.

Uhm.... and? I fail to see how that, in ANY way, detracts from what I said. "We were working on Diablo 3 here... now we're working on a very similar game here."

As for everything else you said.... fine, don't play.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Sun May 20, 2007 2:45 am UTC

I won't.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun May 20, 2007 3:36 am UTC

Old.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Sun May 20, 2007 4:30 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:I won't.

dumbface

as for me, i can't wait!

The original starcraft was what drove my little brother and i to setup our first home network (windows 98 machines). we played it so much we both recieved dual citizenships to south korea ;)
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun May 20, 2007 4:36 am UTC

Ahhh, Starcraft.... I sacrificed a career in programming to play you.... you BITCH! *sob*

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Sun May 20, 2007 4:51 am UTC

I might have to start playing starcraft broodwar again on battle net to get ready... for the ULTIMATE GAME.

Honestly, people still treat starcraft in Korea like its porn.

anyway... Zerg FTW!

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

Return to “Gaming”