Starcraft 2 : The Dune II Clone

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Yubtzock

Re: Starcraft 2 : The Dune II Clone

Postby Yubtzock » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:47 am UTC

Mutalingbane works only if you switch into it after terran has been going solely with MMM + tanks (which is really popular) after initial harassment with libs forced you to spend on queens and spores. They stop making libs, cause you spend on defence so you can surprise their tanks with a bunch of mutas. This also switches pretty well into lingUltra or corruptor+broodlord+queen. The former works better against terran while the latter smashes protos ground quite ok.
You just can't stay on muta for too long cause liberators are way too hard of a counter to that.

Openings: short path maps in ZvZ - always pool before hatch. otherwise, unless you want to go for some muta play against non-T, it'll be hatch first all the time. Roach Ravager is just so solid on its own, that aside from cheese (air cheese in particular) that's what you should be packing into.

basic zerg safety recap for LotV: 4mins spores for defence, 1-2 spare queens around the time third has finished, just after 5mins check for their third - two base all-ins are hard to counter if you're not prepared, Hive is really powerful and roaches scale poorly compared to other races' core units so switch is inevitable if your Roachravager or RR+hydra timing pushes haven't won you the game.
Additionally - ultras' strength is in their upgrade -don't fight with them until it finishes; Lurkers are best kept slightly behind - Moving them aggressively forward makes it harder for you to move back if you need to or you end up losing your lurkers.

Edit: About saturation - You just have to get used to the fact that you'll be transferring workers a lot more and sooner. Around the time the forth is up you probably already need to move some around, if not sooner in more aggressively played matches. Saturating third is actually even risky if you see they don't have a third at 5:30. You might end up moving over to third if for the next three minutes you're producing only army and fighting.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:04 pm UTC

Promoted to Gold on Saturday.
I need to get over the fear I have of attacks and just make drones, keep injecting, and remembering to scout. I had the same problem back in WoL and was why I had a terrible ZvP record (although an excellent win rate against Terran, which is no longer true). Liberators are particularly annoying and surprisingly effective en-masse.
Lurkers are fun though - problematic vs Terran (Tanks and scans destroy them) but hilarious against Zerg and Protoss (so long as the Disruptor count is low).

ZvZ still sucks to play though.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:19 pm UTC

I played some games just before the weekend, got a mad winning streak and got promoted to Plat. :|
I'm getting pretty rekt atm, but sometimes I do squeeze a win. I guess my MMR in new league is coming back to normal.

At least I got to play some crazy games and and one super-late game (we both mined out all but one expo). I got owned hard but that's just my lack of experience with such extremes showing. I'm definitely looking forward to playing more such games and finally trying to execute some important stuff that I've been half-assing up until now.
That is control groups mostly. I used to have good experience with and used them frequently in games like Homeworld, Warhammer 40k or other lesser known RTS titles, but SC2 constantly pushes me into situations where I'm frantically looking for some units and just give up and hit All Army Hotkey and then ctrl+1 it at most. :/
I've got my hatcheries and nydus worms keyed fine, sometimes even 2 groups of queens, but the army is just one big mess. I can't seem to get over the fact that I'm supposed to add units to groups as soon as I "order" them - which is, add the unhatched eggs to the correct control groups.
Managing casters or banes without control groups is a straight road to disaster town.

Xenomortis wrote:ZvZ still sucks to play though.
If you want some ZvZ training matches or just a partner for teamgames add me (PM).

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:18 am UTC

Has anyone tried the Axiom mod? https://www.axiommod.com

Essentially a lot of macro has been simplified or removed. It's mostly the same game, except for health being doubled which will do things like devalue attack upgrades and mess with spell balance. A lot of the changes seem clever so I played a game, but it just made me want to play vanilla. It's probably difficult to find someone your skill level to really try it, since there are still macro concepts like when to build production and when to expand, and the economy is unchanged. But on the other hand I think the vast majority of decent players will be dissuaded by it except out of a forlorn curiosity.

Peaceful Whale

Postby Peaceful Whale » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:41 am UTC

:shock:

Other Starcraft players?!?!

(I used to be gold3... after I did my 5 matches, but I haven’t played sense, I used my dad’s laptop, so I’ve never played max out graphics)

Until I started using the nvida GeForce now for Mac beta.... It’s epic!

I still don’t play as much, and definitely don’t know all these weird combos and stuff. I know basic counters and start ups, but that’s it.
My meta for future reference
Spoiler:
cemper93 wrote:Your meta appears to be "just writes whatever is on his mind and doesn't remember what happened more than five hours ago"

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:18 pm UTC

After a 2 year break, I started playing some again casually.

I jumped right into ranked play and easily got gold 1v1 and gold 3v3..... All I do is play toss and 4 gate still havent' made a single adapt.

How far has gold fallen in skill level? This is really directed at our leader Koa.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:39 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:After a 2 year break, I started playing some again casually.

I jumped right into ranked play and easily got gold 1v1 and gold 3v3..... All I do is play toss and 4 gate still havent' made a single adapt.

How far has gold fallen in skill level? This is really directed at our leader Koa.

Gold is at least as tough as it’s ever been. All the leagues are. People in general have gotten better at this game as time has gone on. The one exception is that the influx of f2p players has pushed the league tiers down roughly one step, so gold 3 this season is roughly silver 1 last season.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:19 am UTC

The general skill of players related to their league has fluctuated a lot over SC2's life, and it's mainly due to changes directly by Blizzard. They've experimented a lot with increasing and decreasing the size of bronze league and where the system prefers to place people. It seems like they've settled on trying to make everyone appear average, and autocorrect everyone towards the average. Bronze league is almost as difficult to get into as master league in terms of raw statistics. Back in the day (mid WoL), nearly half the playerbase was bronze league.

As to how things are now, I don't know. I essentially quit when LotV came out. I continued to play HotS but hardly anyone played it so I would have sporadic sessions, sometimes getting boosted to LotV and playing that with friends. Apparently I could still beat master league players in LotV even though I felt like I understood so little of how the game worked anymore. The thing is that macro still works largely the same, and a lot of the now-unconventional units are still strong, so old strategies can still work. I just don't know what happens when they don't. I'm still bad with adepts and ravagers and reaper mines and so on. Apparently they reworked the Raven pretty drastically -- fucking finally -- and they even went with the sort of ideas I had in mind. If only they had any of this vision eight years ago. Finally buffing ultras, finally giving battlecruisers mobility, finally removing the mothership core and adding the shield battery, finally adding lurkers despite constantly protesting that it had too much overlap with banelings. As soon as WoL hit they handed the game over to the D team where they coasted for years until HotS, where they made huge changes and big promises, and then promptly handed the game over to the D team where they coasted for years until LotV. They had added a whole UI with several empty boxes of unit skins that they never touched. And now with LotV, it seems, they scored big on co-op. It's a constant revenue stream to fund their new model of supporting the game, where they're finally looking at the game again rather than just trying to placate the complaints a la how they do it in WoW. Right now sc2 is probably the best it has ever been. It's difficult for me to consider returning to it though, maybe too many scars or maybe I just don't like to return to things I've left behind. I derp around in co-op now and then. If anyone wants to play let me know. Right now I've been spending all my rts gaming time playing every single rts game ever made so that I can try to understand everything about what works and what doesn't in rts game design, and what influenced what when, and so on. I'm pretty confident in my understanding of rts but that's one area I felt I was lacking, so I have to make sure my bite is as good as my bark, I guess.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:10 pm UTC

Already made Diamond in team mode and I’m not good at this game.

Koa, you should replace Day9 as the new RTS guru. Start making vids; throw in some clickbait to get subscribers. Or commit to one RTS and win a big tourney. I’ve played with Zilaes and you’re better.

Have you played the new automatic Tournaments?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Return to “Gaming”