Aliens Vs. Predator

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

psion

Re: Aliens Vs. Predator

Postby psion » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:50 am UTC

If you're on the ground and two walls are not exactly at a 90 degree angle to each other, you'll auto-transition on touch whether you want to or not, regardless of settings. A lot of the walls don't fit that requirement, and you run into problems like the doorway I mentioned. In that case, the doorway was very thin, so it took me a ridiculous five tries or so to walk through because I kept slightly tapping the edges.

Secondly, you almost never simply drop like a rock with tapping the transition button. Here's a poor ASCII example:

V is my Alien (on the ceiling), the rest are walls. Ignore the dots.

Code: Select all

._________
|.v......|
|........|
|...||...|
|___||___|

Whenever I hit the transition key to fall (as Aikanaro mentioned), no matter which way I was facing or where I was positioned, this is where I fell to:

._________
|........|
|...v....|
|...||...|
|___||___|

If you're confused, this is where I wanted to (and should have) fall:
Spoiler:

._________
|........|
|........|
|...||...|
|_v_||___|

So no, there is no way to simply let go and let gravity take over. The game assumes where you want to land. If for some reason the game can make no assumption of where you want to land, it simply doesn't let you release from the wall at all. I also don't think it will let you release from a wall if you're not upside down, or at least, it's much harder for the game to assume where you want to land when you're vertical. Essentially, the game holds your hand with an iron grip, and does such a poor and inconsistent job at it that I disregarded the ability to "let go" entirely. Now, it's not that hard to just aim at the floor and jump or simply walk along the walls to the ground level, but when it comes to letting go, you really can't count on it.

I should also mention that the camera's viewpoint of the Alien is completely fixed to whatever surface it may be on, clinging or not. What I'm saying is, if you ever get in the mood for having a really good headache, just run back and forth across a bumpy surface. Most of the surfaces are smoothed, but that's just something to throw onto the list.
Anyway, that about sums up all the problems with the Alien's controls. In one word: inconsistent. I'm not even sure why I'm writing so much about the failures of simple concepts, but I didn't even get into the combat or the other species. Such as how the Marines can only strut at a half-jogging speed, and when they run they can't fire or look behind them (which made the Marine campaign that much more boring -- nothing more fun than running and gunning from streams of Aliens). Or how the Predator spear is now a useless single-use javelin.
Last edited by psion on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:30 am UTC

psion wrote:I should also mention that the camera's viewpoint of the Alien is completely fixed to whatever surface it may be on, clinging or not. What I'm saying is, if you ever get in the mood for having a really good headache, just run back and forth across a bumpy surface. Most of the surfaces are smoothed, but that's just something to throw onto the list.

THIS. Oh dear god, this. And this also goes into how I would fix an AvP game if I were making it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my steam ID is Menelruin, if anyone cares....though I'm still kinda new to using the system on the whole :oops:
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:17 pm UTC

psion wrote:I'm not even sure why I'm writing so much about the failures of simple concepts,
Because it's the failure of simple concepts, like screwing up alt-fire by making it right click + right ctrl + left shift and not letting you remap any of it.

I'm just completely boggled that there isn't a "Let go" button where your alien lets go of whatever and drops like a stone.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

Yeah, the game needs the alien to have:

1: A button just for the tail whip, separate from the Heavy Attack.
2: A jump button that DOESN'T home in on a target.
3: A button that just makes you drop like a rock.

Sadly, due to the fact that it's a port for PC and consoles, it's not likely to happen, since the controls have to be simple enough to accommodate the supply of buttons on a Xbox360/PS3 controller.

This said, I've been going through multiplayer a lot lately, and gotta say I've been having a blast so far. I'd say I have to agree with whoever said the single player campaigns are basically just extended tutorials for how to play each race, so that you've got a good handle on things for multiplayer. I really wish the marine had Flares instead of just the weak-ass flashlight, but at least the shotgun is scary as hell to a lot of peeps.

Oh, and protip: Unless you're playing with a lot of peeps in a game, AVOID THE PYRAMID MAP LIKE THE PLAGUE. Now, I'll give credit where credit's due: Props to them for basing a level off the first AvP movie. It's a big maze of ruins, and every so often, the walls shift around to close off some passages and open others. Neat concept, but it gets annoying running around for ages trying to find someone to fight, and ironically, the Alien's X-ray vision, while useful there, can heighten the frustration. "Okay, I can see where he IS, but how the hell do I GET to him.....in THIS configuration?"
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Return to “Gaming”