Halo 3 Forge vs Garry's Mod.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

GrawSith

Halo 3 Forge vs Garry's Mod.

Postby GrawSith » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:17 am UTC

This thought occurred to me when I was in Halo 3, Last Resort, filling the spinny-wheel with dumpsters and warthogs (it was fun until a three-car pileup landed on my face). Just thought I'd ask your opinions and see which sandbox is more loved?

If Forge could spawn AI enemies, I'd be sold.

lulzfish

Re: Halo 3 Forge vs Garry's Mod.

Postby lulzfish » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:30 am UTC

--NEWCOMER--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifx7yUmz-n0

SAUERBRATEN

There's no physics or AI monsters to speak of, but it's FOSS and you can edit the maps cooperatively. All the maps are made of little cubes you can duplicate and shape and such.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:39 pm UTC

I honestly can't see Forge ever competing with Garry's Mod.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Yeah, we're really talking about three different categories here:

Xbox 360 -> Forge
Windows PC -> gMod
LInux / OS X PC -> Sauerbraten
PS3 -> LittleBigPlanet? I don't think it's multiplayer, though.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

LBP has online multiplayer, just like the others.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

lulzfish wrote:There's no physics or AI monsters to speak of, but it's FOSS and you can edit the maps cooperatively. All the maps are made of little cubes you can duplicate and shape and such.

Is it ? Video you gave surely didn't have any of that, and the description sounds more like MineCraft ( http://www.minecraft.net/ )
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:05 pm UTC

I just showed that one video because it was kick-ass.
There's actually a tutorial series, which is cool. I had to learn editing by asking other people who were playing coopedit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8e96rE0 ... playnext=1

Everything you can do in those videos can be done in multiplayer coopedit over LAN or Internet.

Various Varieties

Postby Various Varieties » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:07 am UTC

I think the following two FPS editors are slightly different to the ones that have been mentioned so far, since they're separate map-editing modes rather than real-time in-game editing, but I want to mention them anyway:

- For a last-gen game, TimeSplitters Future Perfect had a very good level editor, for both solo missions and multiplayer maps.

- I haven't played it, but Far Cry 2's supposed to have a good one, isn't it? At least, I remember its editor being a big part of its pre-relase hype (I saw a trailer dedicated to it) - can't recall it being very prominently discussed post-release, though.

Kow

Postby Kow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:48 am UTC

I really like Forge.

I also can't wait for Starcraft 2's editor.

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:52 am UTC

Kow wrote:I also can't wait for Starcraft 2

fixed.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Furburt

Postby Furburt » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:48 pm UTC

Various Varieties wrote:I think the following two FPS editors are slightly different to the ones that have been mentioned so far, since they're separate map-editing modes rather than real-time in-game editing, but I want to mention them anyway:

- For a last-gen game, TimeSplitters Future Perfect had a very good level editor, for both solo missions and multiplayer maps.

- I haven't played it, but Far Cry 2's supposed to have a good one, isn't it? At least, I remember its editor being a big part of its pre-relase hype (I saw a trailer dedicated to it) - can't recall it being very prominently discussed post-release, though.

Most definitely agreed on the Timesplitters one. It's living proof that PC editors are at their best when they have tons of features, but console editors are at their best when they're totally streamlined. Plus, the music that played when you were making maps was great. I've had some of the most fun on any game with maps made with that map editor.

Far Cry 2's isn't brilliant though. It's only for Multiplayer, and multiplayer definitely isn't the best part of that game at all. It's a bit over-complex as well, but not in a good way like the NeverWinter Nights toolset. It would have been much better if they'd streamlined it on consoles, and made it nice and complex on PC, and let you make your own Singleplayer scenarios with it.

As for Halo Forge versus Garry's Mod, I'm going to have to go with Garry's Mod. I feel that Forge has too many artificial restrictions to it. Fun, but you can't really create anything worthwhile in it, like you can with Gmod.
Ireland unfree shall never be at peace-Patrick Pearse, 1915.

Return to “Gaming”