League of Legends

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aardvarki

Re: League of Legends

Postby Aardvarki » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

I agree with the term "tactics" over "strategy". Calling it "lane-based" differentiates the game style from "real time strategy"/"real time tactics" but doesn't provide more information to a casual observer than just calling it "DotA-like" does, as someone who doesn't know DotA won't know what "lane-based" means. ("Lane-based!? Like, bowling!?")

So far, from what I've seen, I like the terms "tactics" and "team-based" the best - I mean, even calling it a "Team-based Tactics Game" (TBT? It's as pronounceable as RTS or RPG) doesn't seem too bad to me - though the "this could apply to any number of games" argument does still apply. However, I think TBT is about the most descriptive we can get in a couple words. Unless we wanna start calling it a "Real-time Team Based Tactics Battle" (RTTBTB? we should just call it "Play-time" and then at least when we want to pronounce it we can just stick out our tongues and make that funny 'pttbtb' noise -- but I guess it's as pronounceable as MMORPG)

In the end, I think AAShrike has it right, whatever Valve/Icefrog decides to call it is probably going to be what sticks, even if we come up with the best, most descriptive name imaginable and Icefrog decides to call the genre "Single Hero Interactive Tactics", we're going to end up playing SHITs for the rest of our lives.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

Rest assured, it will probably be a TLA and whoever comes up with the name will certainly consider the abbreviation before settling on it, so "single-hero interactive tactics" is very unlikely.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Rest assured, it will probably be a TLA and whoever comes up with the name will certainly consider the abbreviation before settling on it, so "single-hero interactive tactics" is very unlikely.
Unless Activision publishes one first, at which point we'll end up with a SNAFU on the order of F.A.G.S.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

Just started out playing this. Messed around with a couple of the free champs. Bought Kayle. Learned to play a little bit, and I'm slowly getting a little better. Some WoW skills apply here.

I've had people DC/leave every single game so far though.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:54 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Just started out playing this. Messed around with a couple of the free champs. Bought Kayle. Learned to play a little bit, and I'm slowly getting a little better. Some WoW skills apply here.

My guess is that's a function of you starting out as a noob with low ELO. As you get better and play more games, the game improves its opinion of your ability, and puts you in games with people of similar ability. When these people are better than the noobs you start out playing, there should be fewer leavers.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

lifayt

Postby lifayt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:15 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Just started out playing this. Messed around with a couple of the free champs. Bought Kayle. Learned to play a little bit, and I'm slowly getting a little better. Some WoW skills apply here.

If you're used to DoTA, people DC/leaving is a part of daily life. I've found that getting a good group of people to play with heightens the game experience alot, and it prevents people from leaving even if one team is getting curbstomped.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:43 am UTC

lifayt wrote:I've had people DC/leave every single game so far though.

Eh, I think I'd prefer they just do that than sit around complaining about us losing, and initiating a surrender vote every 3 minutes. Newsflash people, if you resign yourself to losing, then yeah, you're going to lose, at least TRY.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 am UTC

Well, the DC/leaving thing will become a lot more likely for you once you hit 13 or so. Before then, the game only matches 1-12. After that, you'll be matched with up to 30s.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:00 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
lifayt wrote:I've had people DC/leave every single game so far though.

Eh, I think I'd prefer they just do that than sit around complaining about us losing, and initiating a surrender vote every 3 minutes. Newsflash people, if you resign yourself to losing, then yeah, you're going to lose, at least TRY.

True dat. There are lots of situations when you are losing, but all it would take is one good team fight when the other team screws up and you ace them and push while they're dead. If you keep trying your best, there's a decent chance of that happening, but if you're whole team gives up and stops trying, there's no chance.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:25 am UTC

Thing is. I've had a bunch of people DC very early in the game or even before minion spawn. Kinda odd.

Frustrated players leaving I can understand. Especially with me noobing it up early on... ('feeder' i think was the term. oops) :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:52 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Thing is. I've had a bunch of people DC very early in the game or even before minion spawn. Kinda odd.

Frustrated players leaving I can understand. Especially with me noobing it up early on... ('feeder' i think was the term. oops) :mrgreen:

These may be people who have just started playing, and are having some bugs with the game (since it's not exactly the best-written piece of software ever).

BTW, I'm Althai, if anyone wants to look me up for a game sometime.

Pandemic21

Postby Pandemic21 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:Thing is. I've had a bunch of people DC very early in the game or even before minion spawn. Kinda odd.

These may be people who have just started playing, and are having some bugs with the game (since it's not exactly the best-written piece of software ever).

BTW, I'm Althai, if anyone wants to look me up for a game sometime.

There are more then a few bugs, but (at least in my experience) they're mostly with the PVP.net client, not the game itself. I don't now whose idea it was to use Adobe AIR for such a complex application, but I hope they realize now that it was a HORRIBLE idea.

PVP.net problems aside, your problems with people seem to be not unlike most of us MOBA gamers. Unfortunately, the average MOBA "pro" is merely a teenage elitist who can't be bothered to use proper grammar and starts shouting when you die once. They also tend to not care how badly they do. For example, one particularly bad game of mine I went 4/4/x, and the non-arranged member on our 3v3 team started raging at me (note that he was 3/5/x). To get away from this crap, just add random people who don't shout. Skill level doesn't really matter (unless you make it), just add people who don't RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGEQUIT or start raging when you die.

Having a mic and Vent also helps with this :P.

And hey Skeptical :D. I always feel awkward adding people who throw their info online without somehow giving them forewarning about me doing so... So ya. Hi :P. I'm Pandemic21 ingame, if you've ever seen me. Really enjoy casters; right now I'm maining Veigar and play a mean Kassadin, if I do say so myself :twisted:.

-Pandemic

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

Do you find Veigar UP at all? I think he just has a really high skill cap, but he could definitely do with a minor buff. Maybe an increase on Dark Matter's radius or decrease on delay. Merc treads makes it ridiculously difficult to even combo with Event Horizon anymore, and the no-mana heroes are making his ult weaker by the day : /

As for Kass, I thought he was kind of nooby till I met Meleedin. He was very painful. Not to say there aren't good AP Kass players, I just find him a bit easier to play.

Personally, I main one of the 4 archetypes:
Tank - Rammus
Support - Blitzcrank
Caster - Fidds
DPS - Gangplank (Waiting for his hopefully-soon rebuff)
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:22 pm UTC

So... Better than Dota or not?

I saw some pics and the characters look kind of cartoonish, is that what it really looks like?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

It looks like Warcraft 3.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:51 pm UTC

Yes, the characters are a bit cartoony, but It's not overly so. Plus, it really helps out in defining the scene and characters much better, a common problem in HoN and DotA. However, the game is geared towards the newbie player far more, so there are less skill elements (Though skill still has a definite place.) But HoN is the more popular for hardcore, competitive play. I play both personally:

LoL for it's unique systems, constant variety, and superior community (People just seem to be generally more mature, and the staff definitely listens to the community more.)

HoN for the increased skill factor, "home" player qualities (With the DotA mirrors), and far more organized gameplay.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:00 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Do you find Veigar UP at all?
DPS - Gangplank (Waiting for his hopefully-soon rebuff)

Yeah Veigar being a mage excels early, but with his AP grow excels late, it doesn't quite work out. But having an area stun that is not an ult is really powerful. i think he is just more of a support character so needs teamwork.

Also, gangplank is not supposed to be dps, that's the problem. He is supposed to be support (and he's damn good at it, able to push one lane while still contributing his ult to a team battle in another lane) But as a solo pusher/farmer the best way to play him is kinda boring for some.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 am UTC

I don't know. I guess I just miss raping face with parrrley :(

TheGreatMeh

Postby TheGreatMeh » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:28 am UTC

i just got into this game a few weeks ago and i am loving it. i've found that the LoL community is much much much MUCH nicer than the dota one (though there is still the odd jerk) and that the game is much easier to get into. it is still a very skill oriented game, even if it isn't "oh shit, i fucked up for a tenth of a second now i'm dead" like dota was.
if anyone wants to play a game just hit me up ingame, same name as here.
I bought Anivia late last week and i think i am getting pretty good with her(she is a BITCH to learn how to play).

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:49 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:I don't know. I guess I just miss raping face with parrrley :(

Yes one-shotting Shaco was hilarious, but it's really not fun for Shaco. He deserves to be two shotted.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:10 pm UTC

I'm just recently getting into the high-tier champions (Though i'm not very good with them.)

I've fallen in love with AP Corki after playing with a great one, he's a powerful game changer and completely destroys from start to finish when played well. Decent HP and an escape mech (Which can actually deal damage higher than phos bomb!), insane burst damage, stealth reveal, long range harass, and minor support with gatling gun. What's not to love?

Omerprime

Postby Omerprime » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

I got the game yesterday, it's pretty fun(That is, when there are no grievers\people who disconnect\ people who wanna surrender after 2 seconds in my team...)
If anyone wants to play with me look me up, my username is "omerprime"(playmer was taken O_o)
ImageImage

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:36 am UTC

Glad to see someone new join :D You should really check out the "guides and strategy" section of the forum, it's absolutely fantastic for new players.

In fact, here's a link to the list of guides: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/sh ... hp?t=68225

The ones at the very bottom are designed to focus upon gameplay as a whole, and are good reading if you're bored but don't have access to LoL. Then there's the huge list of champion-specific guides as well, which are good to read after you've selected your champion/are waiting for the game to load.

Omerprime

Postby Omerprime » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:04 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Glad to see someone new join :D You should really check out the "guides and strategy" section of the forum, it's absolutely fantastic for new players.

In fact, here's a link to the list of guides: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/sh ... hp?t=68225

The ones at the very bottom are designed to focus upon gameplay as a whole, and are good reading if you're bored but don't have access to LoL. Then there's the huge list of champion-specific guides as well, which are good to read after you've selected your champion/are waiting for the game to load.

Oo, thanks man. :)
ImageImage

yukizora

Postby yukizora » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:19 am UTC

Playing the game since a few months, and it's really awesome. If anyone wants to add me, I'm Anathis in Game.
Playing some strange Ashe Build atm. The strategy is to get Madred's bloodrazor (Which removes 4% of the enemy's life each hit) and go to 2.5 attack speed. Or call it semi-automatic ashe, too :). It does work okay for killing tanks :P

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

Been playing this for a few weeks now and it's actually replaced WoW as my go-to game. Having a lot of fun in it. I really like the sheer number of charaters and items, makes it a lot less formulaiac than Demigod was.

Saved up and bought Xin Zhao and he's a monster (sad that he's free this week, makes it feel less special). Trying to decide who to buy next: anyone have experience playing as Pantheon? Is he any good? I've only seen him in one game and frankly whoever was playing him was a moron so I don't wanna judge his ability based on that.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:19 am UTC

I've been playing for a few months now. Lately I've fallen in love with Morgana. Once you get the hang of her she's a beast (her shield can totally shut down a lot of cc based champs). Also she has one of the few skins that actually seems worth it (which I later found out was user created).
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 am UTC

Really fun game. Currently eating all of my time. My mains are Veigar, Fiddles(Almost defunct now, don't use him much anymore), Kog'Maw, and Cho'Gath). The game has some balance issues but it's SUPER fun.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:36 pm UTC

Bough Katarina on a whim and I have to say she's a mean mean champion killer. I've been building her AP style to focus on Shunpo and Death Lotus damage. It's pretty awesome to be able to blip into a fight and totally turn the tables. I've won some pretty crazy 4v5 battles where my team has managed to beat the odds by being sneaky.

Kinda sad she's such a poor farmer with this spec tho, but I just can't make the superfarming AD bouncing blade build work for me.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.

rheakith

Postby rheakith » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

Myself and a group of friends have been playing this quite a bit lately. I've been pretty much exclusively playing casters, starting with Veigar and Ryze when they were free, moving to Annie, Kayle, and now Vladimir. I really enjoy playing Vlad, and I'd like to think I've gotten the hang of his weird play style and item build. I can take quite a few champs 1 on 1 and even some 1 on 2, but there are a few champs that I just can't do a thing against (although I would assume this is true for many champions. He's going to be free next week, so I may just switch back to Kayle and Annie during then just because so many people are going to play him.

Right now I'm level 22, username is same as mine here if anyone wants to add me.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

Picked up Janna and I'm really liking her mix of support and damage playstyle. I was really getting annoyed at my existing champs not being very good at farming and Janna's whirlwind just does the job nicely.

Seems like her biggest advantage tho is in her Eye of the Storm damage absorbing bubble (which adds extra melee damage). Since it's not a heal it can make your allies deceptively tough. Opponents foolishly commit themselves to an attack on your partner not realizing her has an extra 300 hit points and 20 damage. That makes a big dif in the laning stage.

Wish her ultimate was a little more useful tho.

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:40 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Wish her ultimate was a little more useful tho.

How much more useful do you want it to be? It does pretty much everything you need in a team fight.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:17 am UTC

SciJo wrote:
The Utilitarian wrote:Wish her ultimate was a little more useful tho.

How much more useful do you want it to be? It does pretty much everything you need in a team fight.

If I had a reliable group of intelligent people I played with I'd be inclined to agree with you but half the time I turn it on and my random allies will be all "great!" and procede to run away from its delightful healing energies.

I just wish I could move around with it, kinda like a reverse crowstorm.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:01 am UTC

you can just tap it and then leave. Even the ability to push and separate your enemies is amazingly useful
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:59 am UTC

Malzahar's a terrible character but he's SO fun!

That's all.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

Shaco's getting nerfed hard. *Cuts himself in the corner*

They got a little crazy with the nerf bat -- Making backstabs do 5% less damage, Weakening deceive, causing his boxes to break stealth, removing the blind from two-shiv, AND increasing the cooldown on his ultimate by about 20 seconds. As an AP shaco player, nerfs 2 and 4 make him almost unplayable :< Currently there's some movement to get shiv's damage and Jack in the Box buffed, so we'll see how that pans out.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:35 am UTC

You'll get no sympathy from me over a Shaco nerf. I have raged far too long and hard for every unescapable gank I've had from that jerk. Now all we need is a good Twitch nerf and we can be free from the tyranny of overpowered stealthers.

Also: free Galio and Avina this week! Can't wait to try em out.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

At the least, the clone nerf was way overboard. They added 20 to the cooldown, halved the duration, and removed Guardian Angel's effect. One or two of those would have sufficed.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:17 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:At the least, the clone nerf was way overboard. They added 20 to the cooldown, halved the duration, and removed Guardian Angel's effect. One or two of those would have sufficed.

Plenty of other champions get by with far less effective ultimates. Now clones are something you use sometimes for distinct advantage some of the time, rather than having them up all the time for every fight, which is effectively what they were prior to this nerf.

Personally I would have accepted trading one of the cooldown or duration nerfs in exchange for removnig the deathsplosion of the clone. It's ridiculous when you're a melee character and you could kill the clone no problem but you're stuck running away from the damn thing like a pansy because the instant it goes you take a huge health hit and the real shaco pops in to finish you off.

Also: Heimer nerf too! Hurray!

Man Udyr is way more fun than I anticipated. Hard to decide on a build tho since he doesn't have an ulti, just four regular skills, any three of which you can take to 5. o_O

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:54 am UTC

The clonesplosion is what makes 33% of AP shaco viable though :( At the very least, I was hoping they'd buff the AP ration on the boxes or shiv to balance out his viability a little. Oh well, hello newly-buffed Akali :D

Return to “Gaming”