which would you recommend

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Which of these games should I purchase for PC?

Poll ended at Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:38 pm UTC

Mass Effect 2
42%
Dragon Age: Origins
11%
Batman: Arkhum Asylum
21%
Fallout 3
16%
Borderlands
No votes
All Points Bulletin
5%
Guild Wars Trilogy
5%
Other: Please include below
No votes

Total votes: 19

fooliam

which would you recommend

Postby fooliam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:38 pm UTC

I haven't bought a new game in a while, and I find myself getting bored with Team Fortress 2, since its more or less the only thing I've played in months. So, I'm hoping that the good people of xkcd will be able to help me decide which of the above games to purchase. I've thought about purchasing them all at one time or another, but games tend to be so expensive that I'm very wary of buying a game I won't get full enjoyment out of. For example, I bought into the hype of Aion, but only played it for about 2 months before I realized that I remembered that I hate grinding in MMOs. So...recommendations please?

Bought ME2 based on my totally useful poll :-)

Vyn

Re: which would you recommend

Postby Vyn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Mass Effect 2 is a must buy for anyone who's ever going to play a video game ever. So, the first choice is a given.

The second choice is a bit muddier. Arkham Asylum is by far the best Batman game ever, and probably the best, or very easily debatable, superhero game ever. Just plain awesome game, truly captures Batman as a detective, as stealth, as a fighter, tech, everything.

Dragon Age is a damn good RPG fantasy and the character development is also great. If you even moderately like anything *similar* to how D&D is then this game will be number 2.

Borderlands is my next 2nd place because as an FPS Diablo II, it's badass. The story is wacked but funny as hell and the "quest for the ultimate gun" will drive you to play it for quite a long time. The DLC's Zombie Island and General Knoxx are some of the funniest things I've ever seen in video games. All that said though, the game is really about multiplayer, you need to play this with a friend or 3 to really make it entertaining, but if you do it's seriously badass.

I also suggest Starcraft 2 of course.
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

Oh god don't get APB.

fooliam

Postby fooliam » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Vyn wrote:Mass Effect 2 is a must buy for anyone who's ever going to play a video game ever. So, the first choice is a given.

The second choice is a bit muddier. Arkham Asylum is by far the best Batman game ever, and probably the best, or very easily debatable, superhero game ever. Just plain awesome game, truly captures Batman as a detective, as stealth, as a fighter, tech, everything.

Dragon Age is a damn good RPG fantasy and the character development is also great. If you even moderately like anything *similar* to how D&D is then this game will be number 2.

Borderlands is my next 2nd place because as an FPS Diablo II, it's badass. The story is wacked but funny as hell and the "quest for the ultimate gun" will drive you to play it for quite a long time. The DLC's Zombie Island and General Knoxx are some of the funniest things I've ever seen in video games. All that said though, the game is really about multiplayer, you need to play this with a friend or 3 to really make it entertaining, but if you do it's seriously badass.

I also suggest Starcraft 2 of course.

Thanks for the advice. As far as dragon age goes...I haven't played anything that I'm aware is similar to D&D. I did really enjoy KOTOR and KOTOR2 though, so would that be a good indicator that Dragon Age would be enjoyable?

@Borderlands: Needing a group of people for maximum enjoyment is kind of the sense I've gotten from watching gameplay of borderlands. Is it easy to just find some random people to play with? Or is it more dependent on getting some people together first and then all deciding to play borderlands?

Bought ME2 based on my totally useful poll :-)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:28 am UTC

I wouldn't really advocate purchasing any of them to be honest.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:07 am UTC

I mostly agree with Vyn except that I wouldn't recommend Borderlands if you hate the grinding of MMOs. The comparison to Diablo is apt in part because it's a pretty grind-tastic game. In its place I'd recommend Fallout 3, but only if you like large open-world-type games such as The Elder Scrolls and the original Fallout games. If you get bored or frustrated with directionless games, Fallout 3 might not be for you.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

psion

Postby psion » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:21 am UTC

I hate threads like this. Either the information won't be used because we couldn't possibly know what the OP would get enjoyment out of, or it's just a matter of laziness for people who don't feel like spending the effort to research their purchase. If you really want to just ask random people to weigh one game over another for you, then just go to metacritic and buy whatever has the highest rating. At least there you will get a larger sample size.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:00 am UTC

More importantly, there's a sticky on this very subject.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Gaming”