Bioshock Infinite

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Uber_Apple

Bioshock Infinite

Postby Uber_Apple » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

The game formerly known as 'Project Icarus' has been revealed as Bioshock Infinite.

IGN Story

Joystiq Story

Official teaser site

The trailer on the official site doesn't seem to load properly for some people but the ones in the other links work fine (for me at least).

Spoiler:
The new brighter setting of 'Columbia', a huge floating city, while different aesthetically, has the familiar murky dystopian undertone of Rapture. They seem to have added some new gameplay ideas like the skyline but largely kept the idea of twin weapon and ability wielding, mechanised giants etc. not that that's any bad thing, it is still a Bioshock game after all. (this spoiler is a bit useless since the change of setting is revealed early in the trailer but it shocked me.)

The only problem is, it's projected for a 2012 release.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Re: Bioshock Infinite

Postby SoapyHobo » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

So, how long until they announce System Shock 3 Bioshock In Space then? Steampunk Rapture in the sky seems like a good setting to me though. I do wonder how they're going to explain plasmids and such however, since this game is set about 50 years or so before Bioshock (assuming this is taking place in the same world).

Also: Rock, Paper, Shotgun article.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

They haven't outright called them plasmids. In the demo apparently the protagonist gets an ability an by drinking a bottle of stuff he finds while in Rapture the plasmids are injections so it seems they are different to plasmids in origin but the same in function.

Raenil

Postby Raenil » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

Maybe they'll be earlier, less stable versions of the plasmids. You know, raw, unrefined power! I'm not talking, you know, magma-cannon Incinerate or Force Lightning Electro-Bolt, but it's plausible, don't you think?

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

Yeah definitely . It seems that the plasmids are somehow less refined and more 'organic' like the crow control (tm) ability. Also it looks like they can be combined with those of the support character to make more powerful/ creative attacks.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

Just saw the gameplay video off Gametrailers... the nationalism/nazism makes me feel fairly uncomfortable as an American minority. Which I suppose is the point.

I guess I'm saying it's a good game which will make you think but wonder how some truly racist people might feel playing it.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:So, how long until they announce System Shock 3 Bioshock In Space then?

Dead Space is System Shock 3 in space. It recycles slightly less plot than BioShock, but the setting and gameplay are pretty much identical.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:
SoapyHobo wrote:So, how long until they announce System Shock 3 Bioshock In Space then?

Dead Space is System Shock 3 in space. It recycles slightly less plot than BioShock, but the setting and gameplay are pretty much identical.

Really? Maybe I should give Dead Space a shot then. I tried the demo and didn't like it. I wandered around, did some stuff, then zombies came out. I shot a bunch, then meleed more, then died because I had no ammo. Not really a good way to sell the game.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:48 am UTC

Vivek wrote:Yeah definitely . It seems that the plasmids are somehow less refined and more 'organic' like the crow control (tm) ability. Also it looks like they can be combined with those of the support character to make more powerful/ creative attacks.

Yeah, I am hoping they will come up with much more inventive powers like that. Shooting awesome loitning lighting out of your hands was cool and all, but variety is king. I would expect a wind-like power to blow enemies off blimps and such.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

A 2012 release date is ridonkculous. They're probably doing it just so they can release it exactly 100 years after the events in Bioshock Infinite. They can't release a gameplay demo that awesome and then say "naw wait at least 18 months"
uhhhh fuck.

blu

Postby blu » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

The E3 gameplay demo was released a few days ago.

The game is gorgeous to look at, the voice acting is great as are the sound effects.

Choices to go left or right aside, the game looks heavily scripted, but that might just be a result of the way the presentation was made. The guy playing was obviously following a script.
And apparently there's a two gun system in place. Oh well.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Just saw the gameplay video off Gametrailers... the nationalism/nazism makes me feel fairly uncomfortable as an American minority. Which I suppose is the point.

I guess I'm saying it's a good game which will make you think but wonder how some truly racist people might feel playing it.

Why would it matter? Better a skinhead shoot the subhuman not-white scum in a videogame than in real life. I'd be more concerned with the game trying to portray racism as "HOLY SHIT A WHITE GUY SHOT A BLACK DUDE AND SAID SOMETHING NOT NICE ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE!!!! Oh me yarm!!! EDGY GAME HERE, BUY IT RIGHT NOW FOLKS!" instead of, you know, actually exploring the issue.

blu wrote:The E3 gameplay demo was released a few days ago.

The game is gorgeous to look at, the voice acting is great as are the sound effects.

Choices to go left or right aside, the game looks heavily scripted, but that might just be a result of the way the presentation was made. The guy playing was obviously following a script.

Honestly... were you expecting a lot after they whored off Bioshock to make Bioshock 2? The concept's kinda neat, but like virtually any shooter made in the past five or six years, my stance is "let it sit for six months to see if it's worth buying."

Too many big-name developers and publishers just rehash what's present in every other shooter because it's safer than trying something different from the run of the mill. I'm really hoping Serious Sam 3 makes Croteam a trainload of cash so that we can point at it and go, "See? IT'S OKAY if you try something different!"

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:26 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:Too many big-name developers and publishers just rehash what's present in every other shooter because it's safer than trying something different from the run of the mill. I'm really hoping Serious Sam 3 makes Croteam a trainload of cash so that we can point at it and go, "See? IT'S OKAY if you try something different!"

But that's not what'll happen. If Serious Sam 3 makes a ton of cash, the developers/publishers will all point and say "See? IT'S OKAY if you try to do that particular different thing!" Then they'll all copy it, and it'll be in every game for the next 5 years. :roll:

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:33 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:Too many big-name developers and publishers just rehash what's present in every other shooter because it's safer than trying something different from the run of the mill. I'm really hoping Serious Sam 3 makes Croteam a trainload of cash so that we can point at it and go, "See? IT'S OKAY if you try something different!"

But that's not what'll happen. If Serious Sam 3 makes a ton of cash, the developers/publishers will all point and say "See? IT'S OKAY if you try to do that particular different thing!" Then they'll all copy it, and it'll be in every game for the next 5 years. :roll:

Don't murder my dreams.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:13 am UTC

WANT! Also, yeah not happy about the 2 gun thing, but oh well! It looked awesome.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:16 pm UTC

So, did you notice he died like five times in that demo? I wonder if they've got some sort of autoheal going, and what was keeping him alive at a sliver of red (probably just "let's not show off death in our demo").
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

blu

Postby blu » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

Oh yes, they were totally using god-mode in that demo.
Pesky NPC's shouldn't interfere with the demonstration.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

I noticed that too. His health bar was empty for a while at one point. It was still a good demonstration.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

From what I understand, it's common place to always use "god mode" during live demos. You don't want to deal with a death screen and replaying part when you're trying to show off your game and you screw up :P. Apparently when Sony showed Resistance 2 at E3 press conference years ago, they decided to go without god mode. At one point the person demo'ing was about 1 second from death, and numerous staff members were panicking at the possibility.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

In that case, they should get someone who is good at games to show it to everyone. Or, you know, play it on easy at least.

I like this from wikipedia:

Does copy-paste count under "inspiration"?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:45 am UTC

kinigget

Postby kinigget » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLHW78X1XeE

New gameplay trailer.

holy gods but that music is amazing.

I'm also a little leery of the two-gun system after having a full set for the last two games, but I think they can make it work. I can barely wait for this to come out.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I can tell from his word choice that he is using his penis to type.

Steax wrote:I think the courts are kinda busy right now. Something about cake and due process.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:15 am UTC

3 hours! Wheeeee. (For the US, wherever you other people may be on this internet thing)

Good thing I can download it in <3 hours because I just remembered to pre-load. :P

EDIT: Started it, getting a lot of framerate issues though which is annoying. It seems to extremely aggressively un-load anything that's not directly in front of you which causes massive framerate drops when you suddenly turn. :|

Still, I like the setting so far.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

I'm not having any FPS issues here - I'm running on Very High (Ultra gave me minor ones, to be fair) at 1920x1200.
Omni.

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

So prior to Bioshock vanilla, 1 man comes in and destroys their utopia-in-the-sky using something similar to plasmids.

Apparently, after that happens they think to themselves "That can't happen again...." and build another one underwater....

I generally dislike prequel stories like this as it makes villains seem like idiots.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:13 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:I'm not having any FPS issues here - I'm running on Very High (Ultra gave me minor ones, to be fair) at 1920x1200.
On Ultra for everything, though I did turn down ambient occlusion to just "High" since that gave me a big FPS boost.

But I can easily get 70+FPS when spinning the camera around in a circle continually. If I stop, FPS climbs to 100+ over a couple seconds (I assume because it's unloading things). If I try and start spinning again I'll get drops to 10-20 until it catches up again causing a lot of jank.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:14 pm UTC

Telchar wrote:So prior to Bioshock vanilla, 1 man comes in and destroys their utopia-in-the-sky using something similar to plasmids.

Apparently, after that happens they think to themselves "That can't happen again...." and build another one underwater....

I generally dislike prequel stories like this as it makes villains seem like idiots.
My understanding from interviews and stuff was that it's not really a prequel and doesn't take place in the same universe.

I have this now, though my PC has been crashing a lot and I'm rather absorbed in Monster Hunter, so I don't know when I'll actually get around to playing it. It still looks really neat and I'm looking forward to the setting.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:51 am UTC

I'm really enjoying this game, but it hits one of my PC gaming pet peeves: no manual saves. I hate when devs make PC games without the ability to save your own game. Also no quicksave/quickload.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:27 am UTC

Just beat it (on medium, took ~11 hours).

Thoughts (with rampant ending spoilers, you are warned):

Spoiler:
Elizabeth is super useful. "Running low on ammo? Here, let me toss you a fully loaded gun, so you don't have to bother reloading."

The tearing between quantum multiverses thing is eh, but this is me putting on my nerd glasses and saying "physics doesn't work that way guys."

Similarly, I'm not a big fan of time travel plots, and this one is no exception. I didn't find the ending particularly compelling. The reveal that DeWitt and Comstock are the same person seems odd in the context of Slate being angry at Comstock- if DeWitt got baptised, decided to change his name to Comstock, and then ran into Slate again, Slate would probably recognize him (even after he grew a marvelous beard).

(I was hoping that the Luteces would get the last words, but no, there's a mystifying segment at the very end which, if interpreted the plainest way, undoes the rest of the ending. Maybe when I sleep on it I'll like it better.)

One of my frustrations with Bioshock is doubled here; basically, the setting has to be dystopian to justify a "meet interesting people, murder them" kind of game, but it would have been really interesting to see a non-dystopian Columbia.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:45 pm UTC

Fairly certain I'm approaching the ending, but one thing that stands out to me... this is the first time in a long time (since we first started seeing it) that I think the 2 weapon system is done well. I'm playing on hard, and it helps that you have something other than 2 guns to fight with (environmental hazards, for example) though I still mostly use guns, but I'm dashing around mid combat grabbing whatever I can get my hands on. All but the most basic enemies take a decent number of hits to bring down, so I run out of ammo relatively fast and there's very few to no guns that I just straight up avoid. This is opposed to what I find usually happens with the 2 gun system where it's "Pick 1 gun to carry the entire game, another to use 'most of the time' and only swap out the second for special situations".

Something a bit more spoiler-y...
Spoiler:
Screw the Lady Comstock fight. My friend on normal said it was like a 30 second encounter for him. For me, the first was like a 5 minute fight where she eventually glitched and didn't move for a bit while I unloaded with my hand cannon. The bank (the worse for me), was like a 15 minute battle of attrition where I drained just about everything available to me. It wasn't until I found a carbine and just unloaded into her that I finally finished it. When I had to do the fight a third time I was pretty annoyed, but I just hid behind cover and sniped. It was silly compared to the high mobility combat I had become accustomed to, but really... I can't imagine that part of the game on a harder difficulty.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 pm UTC

Just getting into this. Spoilers for the first couple of hours.

Spoiler:
Oh yes. On an isolated stormy little island at the top of a lighthouse, let's go sit in that mysterious mechanical chair that just unfolded itself out of the floor. That seems like a sensible plan that won't negatively impact my life expectancy at all. What could possibly go wrong? I mean, other than landing in a gleaming city populated by brainwashed religious fundamentalists?

I have to say, I like the opening of this game more than the original game. In the original game, you arrive in Rapture and everything is hostile and trying to kill you. In Columbia, you can actually explore a bit and the NPCs say "good morning" to you.

Oh, and elizabeth is awesome, with her supply of health packs and ammo and whatnot. I was slightly concerned before that this might turn into one massive escort mission, but no worries on that front.

Oh, and I'm more than a little annoyed that I stumbled across a massive spoiler simply by goggling "zachary comstock", where the spoiler was in the preview text before I even clicked any links. FFFFUUUU.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:38 am UTC

Only played a couple of hours so far. As far as the story goes, I think I'll sum up my reaction so far as: What the actual fuck is going on?

Xeio wrote:
Ralith The Third wrote:I'm not having any FPS issues here - I'm running on Very High (Ultra gave me minor ones, to be fair) at 1920x1200.
On Ultra for everything, though I did turn down ambient occlusion to just "High" since that gave me a big FPS boost.

But I can easily get 70+FPS when spinning the camera around in a circle continually. If I stop, FPS climbs to 100+ over a couple seconds (I assume because it's unloading things). If I try and start spinning again I'll get drops to 10-20 until it catches up again causing a lot of jank.

Runs smooth as silk on my GTX680 on the highest settings. Only crysis 3 seems to require cards that don't exist (or SLI) for decent frame rates with all frills enabled.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:39 am UTC

I like that about it. I'm a fan of stories that drop you into the middle of situations without all the relevant info. As long as everything stays consistent, and done well, it makes the world feel a little more real.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:01 am UTC

Found out there's a config file change to fix the stuttering. Increasing the pool size worked for me.

On the ending:
Spoiler:
I feel a bit mixed. I didn't hate it, but think it was a bit too out of left field. Somehow "Oh, yea, you're Comstock, but from a different reality" seems like they could have added some kind of foreshadowing to that (it wasn't so subtle that I missed it, right?). It makes me want to go back over the dialog to see if I missed something, but even the "I'm not you daughter" stuff, clearly Comstock knew she actually was his daughter... right?

ProZac wrote:
Spoiler:
Screw the Lady Comstock fight. My friend on normal say-did it be-did like an 30 second encounter for him. For me, the first be-did like an 5 minute fight where she eventually glitched and didn't move for an bit while I unloaded with my hand cannon. The bank (the badder for me), be-did like an 15 minute battle of attrition where I drained just about everything available to me. It wasn't until I found an carbine and just unloaded into her that I finally finished it. When I have-did to do the fight an third Thing that keeps slipping into the future I be-did prættig annoyed, but I just hid behind cover and sniped. It be-did silly compared to the high mobility combat I have-did become accustomed to, but really.FULL STOPFULL STOP I tin't imagine that part of the game on an harder difficulty.
Yea, she was fucking annoying. I was playing through on hard and died several times during all but the last fight. The first handymen were a bit like that, but I at least figured out a strategy to beat them later on rather than just blindly dying a lot.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:33 am UTC

I beat the game yesterday, but I came here to post about a different part of the game. Late-game spoilers:

Spoiler:
Walking through the asylum and hearing Elizabeth's will broken over and over again is one of the most heartbreaking and demoralizing things I've ever experienced in a video game.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:41 am UTC

Eseell wrote:I beat the game yesterday, but I came here to post about a different part of the game. Late-game spoilers:

Spoiler:
Walking through the asylum and hearing Elizabeth's will broken over and over again is one of the most heartbreaking and demoralizing things I've ever experienced in a video game.

See, it enraged me. Pushed me to get through that zone.
Omni.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:49 am UTC

That section hit a lot of triggers for me. Your mileage may vary.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:53 am UTC

Playing on Hard the first time through was definitely a good choice. I had to pull out a LOT of stops to get through certain fights and it made things feel like there was real tension.

Spoiler:
Lady Comstock in the bank was absurdly difficult until I realized I could use the vendor to refresh my ammo and it pauses the world outside. Then it was just spending a couple of bucks filling up my Hand Cannon ammo and destroying her. The last fight with her was also much easier since I could just use Murder of Crows to CC her adds and shoot her with the hand cannon (which I filled up prior to the fight, unlike the bank one).

The last fight on the airship was tough. I completely ran out of ammo and ended up killing the last Patriot by meleeing it from behind when it was shooting at the core. Of course Elizabeth threw me some ammo after that :P Still I managed it in one try but it was pretty damn close (less than a quarter of the core health left).

The ending was odd. When you think back, there is a bit of foreshadowing to whats going on (the nosebleeds Booker has at various points for example). I'm confused as to why Comstock didn't just give himself powers by having one of his fingers (or other body parts) cut off and left in another dimension. Maybe such a change had to happen when you were young so that your power built I suppose. I also may have missed some Voxophones or something but why was there a huge siphon in Elizabeth's tower? What exactly was that doing and what was the end goal of it? In the future she attacks New York but its not clear why or what the siphon did to make that come about.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Well, I've completed it. That ending was truly bizarre.

Spoiler:
What's with that throwaway line at the end about DeWitt being Comstock? There was no foreshadowing or anything, they just tacked that bit on the end, probably just to screw with our heads.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Well, I've completed it. That ending was truly bizarre.

Spoiler:
What's with that throwaway line at the end about DeWitt being Comstock? There was no foreshadowing or anything, they just tacked that bit on the end, probably just to screw with our heads.

Spoiler:
Not really foreshadowing but its the only reason why Comstock would want Anna. He wanted HIS child. But because of the devices used to open the tears he was made sterile. So he went to another universe where he wasn't sterile and took DeWitts daughter as his. It would be pretty random if it was just some random dude's child he took. The implication at the end being that the universes where Booker went through with the Baptism he became the "new man" Comstock. In the other universes where he didn't go through with it, he remained Booker DeWitt (and ostensibly sold his child Anna). By killing Booker in the universes where he choose to get baptised it tends to imply the Comstock (and hence Columbia) universes never came to be. That does seem to lead to a pretty bad grandfather paradox (since he needed Elizabeth FROM Columbia to take him back to the baptism place to drown him) but hey most time travel stories have this problem so I tend to let it go.

Return to “Gaming”