The very first video game I'll ever play

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

boxlikething

The very first video game I'll ever play

Postby boxlikething » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

So, xkcd, I'm going to buy my very first video game. (Yes, my first video game in 16 years). What should it be?

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Re: The very first video game I'll ever play

Postby Babam » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:16 pm UTC

This thread will be an interesting one for sure.

What systems/consoles do you have access to, whats your price range etc...?
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

cv4

Postby cv4 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Portal.

boxlikething

Postby boxlikething » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:24 pm UTC

Well, I'm willing to buy anything ~$500 or less. I already have a decent $700 computer (whose primary purpose is to run things like mathematica, but anyways, I think it can play games too).

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

XBox 360 with Rez HD.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:32 pm UTC

This is largely useless unless we have any sort of basis for recommendations. All sorts of people like all sorts of games and while there are a number of widely acclaimed games, that doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll enjoy a given game.

Really, you're probably better off just researching some popular games and try whichever one sounds most interesting because a bunch of random people on the internet aren't going to be any more useful.

You could also try getting some demos.

On the other hand if you have any idea what sort of games you want to try out. FPS? Strategy? RPG? Action? Adventure? Platforming? Maybe you want a game with fun gameplay? A really great world or story? That might be useful because then people could give some real recommendations besides just pulling some titles out of a hat.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

Maybe a good starting point would be knowing what other media you enjoy. What types of media do you prefer - episodic things like TV? More of a movie person? Bookworm? What are some of your favorites? Why?

It's also important to know how much time you plan to commit to the game. Some games demand you spend a lot of time on them, but are very rewarding, while others are more suited to casual gaming.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:This is largely useless unless we have any sort of basis for recommendations. All sorts of people like all sorts of games and while there are a number of widely acclaimed games, that doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll enjoy a given game.

Really, you're probably better off just researching some popular games and try whichever one sounds most interesting because a bunch of random people on the internet aren't going to be any more useful.

You could also try getting some demos.

On the other hand if you have any idea what sort of games you want to try out. FPS? Strategy? RPG? Action? Adventure? Platforming? Maybe you want a game with fun gameplay? A really great world or story? That might be useful because then people could give some real recommendations besides just pulling some titles out of a hat.

This thing pseudoidiot suggests.

Try that in the I Need A Game Recommendation thread.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Gaming”