Starcraft 2 xkcd tourney

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mutestorm

Starcraft 2 xkcd tourney

Postby mutestorm » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

Games are best 2 of 3. After your games, submit the replays to a hosted site and post the links here.
psion wrote:All participants must acknowledge their involvement by posting or sending me a PM within one week of this post. Otherwise you'll be considered inactive. (When you do post/PM, instead of just saying "I'm here" please say whether or not you've been able to contact your opponent or what times you've agreed upon to play. It's so that I can tell what's going on and not forfeit someone I shouldn't.)

If after one week all active players have finished their games, inactive players automatically forfeit their match. Absolute deadline is two weeks.
GLHF

GFHL
Last edited by mutestorm on Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:18 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

BlackSails

Re: Starcraft 2 xkcd tourney

Postby BlackSails » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:47 pm UTC

Do we just play a single game, or is it best of 3, with loser picks for the map?

Btw, I sent Husky a message asking if he would be willing to cast some of the games.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:40 am UTC

Posting to get this in my egosearch for when the SEA one is set up...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:19 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:Do we just play a single game, or is it best of 3, with loser picks for the map?

Btw, I sent Husky a message asking if he would be willing to cast some of the games.

Games are best 2 of 3. I think Husky will want to cast more exciting games anyway, lol.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:46 am UTC

phlip wrote:Posting to get this in my egosearch for when the SEA one is set up...

I am also waiting eagerly for SEA. Not that i'll win, i'll be happy with lasting longer than 10 min each game! :)
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

psion

Postby psion » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:00 am UTC

I guess we should wait for the patch.
Also, with BO3 doesn't that mean that we're going to have close to 100 games played? That seems excessive.

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

psion wrote:I guess we should wait for the patch.
Also, with BO3 doesn't that mean that we're going to have close to 100 games played? That seems excessive.

individually we'll have at most 13 games, at most. I dont think thats really excessive. Maybe if someone tried to cast them all, but that's their problem. Best of 3 is really only fair anyway.
Last edited by mutestorm on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:31 pm UTC

mutestorm wrote:

individually well have at most 13 games, at most. I dont think thats really excessive. Maybe if someone tried to cast them all, but that's their problem. Best of 3 is really only fair anyway.

13? Is that a typo of 12 or am I missing something?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
mutestorm wrote:

individually well have at most 13 games, at most. I dont think thats really excessive. Maybe if someone tried to cast them all, but that's their problem. Best of 3 is really only fair anyway.

13? Is that a typo of 12 or am I missing something?

Final matchup game is EU v NA, so at MOST 13. And that's if we can wrangle a crossover account. Plus a tie breaker, if necessary. Not everyone will play all three anyway, the first round is seeded.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

How was the bracket seeded? I am seeded against the highest ranked player!

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:How was the bracket seeded? I am seeded against the highest ranked player!

It's Swiss, so in a group of 2N players with the same number of points, 1st seed plays N+1st seed, 2nd plays N+2nd, etc. And I wouldn't worry, I suck horribly :) (Also going to be playing Random, so if I get zerg I'm probably only a gold level player... I just don't "get" how to split larva on economy and units and end up with 3 fully saturated bases and get destroyed by a 1 base army)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Avin

Postby Avin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:35 pm UTC

Oh, it's probably too late for my current matchup to be affected by this, but I signed up as a silver player and I was subsequently promoted to gold. But in case it affects any future matchups, there it is.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:21 am UTC

I'm not worried about the individual (though we can be sure that some people will lag the whole tournament). It just feels excessive for a small 14 player tournament to play close to a hundred games. Especially so if there's going to be any casting, which is half the reason I signed up for the tournament (fun casting of absurd games sounds infinitely more amusing than stomping silver level players in a "fair" environment). It's setting itself up to be a long tournament, and that gives it more opportunities to die before it's finished, much like the Dwarf Fortress succession threads. You don't have to change anything, I'm just giving a warning. Quick and fun should be the focus of the tournament, not long and fair. I'm still going to adhere to my proposed handicap idea to deliver the fun.

Anyway, what about maps? Who picks and of what pool? If only 1v1 ladder maps, what about maps like Junkyard and Crossfire?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:46 am UTC

Is it too late to sign up?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:31 am UTC

psion wrote:
Anyway, what about maps? Who picks and of what pool? If only 1v1 ladder maps, what about maps like Junkyard and Crossfire?

Standard rules I think is that you start on Lost Temple, and loser picks the next map.

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:29 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Is it too late to sign up?

Preeeeety much.

psion wrote:I'm not worried about the individual (though we can be sure that some people will lag the whole tournament). It just feels excessive for a small 14 player tournament to play close to a hundred games. Especially so if there's going to be any casting, which is half the reason I signed up for the tournament (fun casting of absurd games sounds infinitely more amusing than stomping silver level players in a "fair" environment). It's setting itself up to be a long tournament, and that gives it more opportunities to die before it's finished, much like the Dwarf Fortress succession threads. You don't have to change anything, I'm just giving a warning. Quick and fun should be the focus of the tournament, not long and fair. I'm still going to adhere to my proposed handicap idea to deliver the fun.

I like Blacksail's idea, but you guys can pick however, if you can't decide thatll be a good middle ground. I think Junkyard and Crossfire are pretty even; any blizz map should do.

I'm not assured that all these players are as horrible as they make out, I'm sure they have some grasp of the game. A tourney is a tourney after all, popping random games with weird handicap rules can be done outside of a (slightly) competitive environment. Besides, nobody wants to be the guy who didnt scout a cheese and lose a round because of the one game.

It's not INCREDIBLY difficult to play all your games in one sitting, so it cant be that different than playing a single game. If you dont have time to devote to 2, at most 3 games, then you really didnt have time in the first place.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:20 am UTC

mutestorm wrote:I'm not assured that all these players are as horrible as they make out, I'm sure they have some grasp of the game. A tourney is a tourney after all, popping random games with weird handicap rules can be done outside of a (slightly) competitive environment. Besides, nobody wants to be the guy who didnt scout a cheese and lose a round because of the one game.

I'd love to agree, but it's not the case. My handicap is a personal rule that stems from very dull games against gold and below players. No one else has to do it.
mutestorm wrote:It's not INCREDIBLY difficult to play all your games in one sitting, so it cant be that different than playing a single game. If you dont have time to devote to 2, at most 3 games, then you really didnt have time in the first place.

Well, let's hope I'm wrong, but I think you'll understand my reasoning about halfway in.

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:37 am UTC

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

Epic clash between me and Jesse will be Thursday at 11pm ( GMT )

FIGHT OF THE YEAR!

Just thought I should let you know.
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:56 pm UTC

Are either of you able to livestream it?

Dasboard
Location: I wish I was dreaming of soap.... wait where was this space for again?

Postby Dasboard » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

No experience with that whatsoever. No gear / software either. I can try to make it work though. ( Shouldn't be too hard, right? )
Are you ready? Well I made my bet
Are you ready? I made some.. preparations.
Are you ready? But I'm older now!
But are you ready? Yeah...

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

Dasboard wrote:No experience with that whatsoever. No gear / software either. I can try to make it work though. ( Shouldn't be too hard, right? )
Alternatively, get an observer in to do it so that you can see both sides.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Dasboard wrote:No experience with that whatsoever. No gear / software either. I can try to make it work though. ( Shouldn't be too hard, right? )
Alternatively, get an observer in to do it so that you can see both sides.

That makes sense. I am currently suffering from a viral infection that is killing me, but the fight will go on, since it doesn't really affect my ability to play.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:00 am UTC

mutestorm wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Is it too late to sign up?

Preeeeety much.

Actually, I had a bye this round. You, sir, name could play against me instead?

psion

Postby psion » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am UTC

Delbin wrote:Actually, I had a bye this round. You, sir, name could play against me instead?

He's in Europe.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:43 pm UTC

Don't worry about it if it would be inconvenient to add me late. I really should be spending more time on my thesis and less time on SC2 anyway.

Spoiler:
How the hell have I managed to play over 200 ladder games per month?!
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

psion wrote:
Delbin wrote:Actually, I had a bye this round. You, sir, name could play against me instead?

He's in Europe.

Bah. One of these days I'll start paying attention to location.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

Though my location is a Chinese urban legend.

Avin

Postby Avin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:47 am UTC

So I'm a random player, and I think I'm relatively comfortable with every matchup now, but my biggest weak point is Terran vs Protoss when the Protoss does an all-in 4-gate push.

I played against a friend who is currently Platinum but looks like he will be promoted to diamond soon based on his recent matchups, who plays Protoss and 4 gates constantly.

When I am Protoss, I can 4-gate him as well and we can go into a midgame if we have similar armies.

When I am Zerg, I can 5 roach rush him and win handily even when he knows that it's coming, unless his micro is superb with forcefielding a ramp for a while, because the roaches arrive after the Protoss has spent the investment on the 4 gateways but before they have actually gotten much out of it.

But as Terran, I don't have any good idea of what to do. I either don't have enough units/defenses by the time the push comes, or if I do turtle up enough then I end up getting contained.

When I end up drawing Protoss against Terran, I can easily win. The only time in recent memory I have been held off was when I fell victim to iEchoic's 1/1/2 build, which I realized I was completely foolish not to have recognized and anticipated because I had all the information to see that my opponent was doing that, and I know for a fact that if the Protoss player anticipates this, especially the drop, it's rather easy to watch out for and detect, since I've deflected it in the past and also had it deflected by a competent Protoss player who saw it coming as well. (Although maybe it would still be better than nothing?)

So does anyone have any tips? Or replays of high level TvP games where the Protoss did a 4-gate all in and the Terran player successfully held it off and subsequently won?

Most of my recent ladder losses seem to fall into this category, in fact.

edit: Whoops, I had meant to post this in the general Starcraft thread.
Last edited by Avin on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:54 am UTC

4-gating is very strong. If you can, delay it with reapers by sniping probes, depowering the cyber core before warpgates are up, etc.

If you have time (ie, its not some sort of all-in korean variant of the 4-gate) get hellions. Preferably blue flame, but produce them out of a rector first. Back them up with marauders.

Also, meet their army outside of their base. Then kite them all the way back to yours.

psion

Postby psion » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

My games vs csd (aka llamanaru):
Game 1
Game 2

Both games are....... unusual. llamanaru proposed a list of handicaps that I could choose from, and he wouldn't know what I chose until he saw them in action. Both games proved to be rather difficult for me. It was the first time I've played with any handicap like that.
Last edited by psion on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

Results spoilered...
Spoiler:
psion won both. You should still watch the replays though.

There were some close moments, at least from my point of view. Good, entertaining replays.\
EDIT: Spoiler
Last edited by llamanaru on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:47 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

psion

Postby psion » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

I was trying not to spoil it for everyone else who reads this, because they are amusing games.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

What handicaps did you choose?

Spoiler:
Was the first game no attacking until 200/200, only banelings, both of those things, no upgrades, what?

I cant open the 2nd replay.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

The list was:
No queens
Only queens
Banelings and corruptors, no queens
5 complete buildings at a time
No expo until a certain tech point
and I think a few others like that.
From the list it should be obvious which he went within the first few minutes of the game.
EDIT: If you really want to know
Spoiler:
First was banelings and corruptors only, no queens
Second was only queens and buildings
Last edited by llamanaru on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

psion

Postby psion » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:I cant open the 2nd replay.

I tested it and it's fine, it's something with your end.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

psion wrote:My games vs csd (aka llamanaru):
Game 1
Game 2

Both games are....... unusual. llamanaru proposed a list of handicaps that I could choose from, and he wouldn't know what I chose until he saw them in action. Both games proved to be rather difficult for me. It was the first time I've played with any handicap like that.

Haha, both of those games were pretty hilarious.

Spoiler:
I'm not sure whether I like the 6 pages of banelings more, or the 72 queens. Just awesome-sauce all around!

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

llama, would you mind if I send this replay to huskstarcraft?

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:26 pm UTC

Not at all... That'd be really cool!

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

Oh my god. I'm so sorry I missed this >.<
Rawr!

Return to “Gaming”