Starcraft 2 xkcd tourney

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

psion

Re: Starcraft 2 xkcd tourney

Postby psion » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:13 am UTC

Did you PM him?

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:25 pm UTC

I hadn't been on sc in a while for RL reasons, but I'd been checking these to see if anyone played their matches...no dice. so there was nothing to post about, really. I suppose I should have posted encouraging people to continue, but you'd think they'd play if they wanted to.

EDIT: If i add the new people, this will be the final round. The skillsets have changed to such a degree that playing a fourth round would mean playing almost half new player, who's surrogates got beat around by their seeding in whatever direction. besides that, going back, reentering everyones scoes and changing names becomes very annoying, and this wont be the first time I've had to do it. I'd really rather we hurry up and finish this round then start over.

Next tourney I think will be double elim.
Last edited by mutestorm on Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:49 pm UTC

I like double elim :)

I've got my casting software set up and I may try my hand at casting some of the NA games this weekend.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

psion

Postby psion » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:15 pm UTC

Round 3 has gone as far as it's going to. If you want to give me the challonge info I'll see the tournament through. If you end it now then I don't really see any point in going into a second tournament anytime soon, but I agree with the double elimination idea.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

psion wrote:Round 3 has gone as far as it's going to. If you want to give me the challonge info I'll see the tournament through. If you end it now then I don't really see any point in going into a second tournament anytime soon, but I agree with the double elimination idea.

I'm happy to play round 4, I'd like to actually at least win one game :) (Stupid random giving 4 zerg in a row :() I'm also slowly getting better at zerg so I might even take a game if I get saddled with them again.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

I would have jumped in this sooner, but I've had a nasty RSI in my wrist.

It's mostly gone now, and I think I've gone just about long enough without any SC2 in my life.

Let me know when there's a spot in the fray ready for jumping into.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:17 am UTC

WarDaft wrote:I would have jumped in this sooner, but I've had a nasty RSI in my wrist.

It's mostly gone now, and I think I've gone just about long enough without any SC2 in my life.

Let me know when there's a spot in the fray ready for jumping into.

this is the reason I want to start over after this round. A) psion thought 4 rounds was too many anyway b) we have enough people to have a decent crowd coming.

psion

Postby psion » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

There's effectively no difference between starting over after this round and continuing to round 4. And, like I said, this round has gone as far as it's going to without intervention.

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:28 pm UTC

psion wrote:There's effectively no difference between starting over after this round and continuing to round 4. And, like I said, this round has gone as far as it's going to without intervention.

And what intervention is necessary? Should I just round scores down until someone is playing someone they haven't already? Starting a new tourney means fresh matchups, in a more linear format. I think that's *effectively* pretty different. If you guys want, pick the person below you score wise, play three matches, and report it. Otherwise, almost half the participants appear to have dropped.

EDIT: At best, I need a roll call, to even know who to bring into the next round.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

I'm here :)

psion

Postby psion » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Just 'bye' Delbin and Mo0man. That ends the round. The rest of us are active enough that the tournament would continue just fine, though if we spend a week talking about it then I'm not so sure. Once the active players play, get rid of the inactive players just like you would to end round 3. Tournament end. Inactive players would be people who don't post here within a week of round 4 starting. I said I'd do all this for you if I had the challonge access.

Round 4 would be as fresh a matchup as a new tournament. If you mean different people participating, I don't think that's very likely. You can have another signup to see.

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:05 am UTC

A few people have spoken up interested in joining, but whatever. You've annoyed me enough that I'll hand it to you.

psion

Postby psion » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:54 am UTC

:|

*adminmode*

EU SC2 Tournament Finished. 1st Woofsie. 2nd Tomo. 3rd Dashboard. 4th Jesse. Congratulations Woofsie! Your money prize will be sent soon!(Expect delivery as late as year 2185.)

NA SC2 Tournament advances to round 4. The matches:
psion vs Blacksails
rigwarl vs mutestorm
Erasmus vs mike-i (goodluckwithtimezones D:)
llamanaru vs Avin
Snow vs JtheNinja

All participants must acknowledge their involvement by posting or sending me a PM within one week of this post. Otherwise you'll be considered inactive. (When you do post/PM, instead of just saying "I'm here" please say whether or not you've been able to contact your opponent or what times you've agreed upon to play. It's so that I can tell what's going on and not forfeit someone I shouldn't.)

If after one week all active players have finished their games, inactive players automatically forfeit their match. Absolute deadline is two weeks.
GLHF

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:00 am UTC

psion wrote:Erasmus vs mike-i (goodluckwithtimezones D:)

Like I need to sleep or anything... :/

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

So it looks like you are 15 hours ahead of me (I'm in EST)? I could actually play from like 6am to 8am my time which would be 9-11 pm your time (did I do that right?). Tomorrow or Thursday works for me, the weekend is out due to a wedding, and Wednesday is out due to me having to be on a train at 6 am to get to said wedding (it's far far away!). Any day next week should work as well.

Alternatively, I can play anytime between 5 and 12 pm my time, which is 8am - 3pm your time the following day... god this is confusing. With those times though I'm only available tomorrow (my tuesday, your wednesday) or next week.

Anyone else's head hurt?

Oh, btw, my name is mike-L, just lowercased.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:So it looks like you are 15 hours ahead of me (I'm in EST)? I could actually play from like 6am to 8am my time which would be 9-11 pm your time (did I do that right?). Tomorrow or Thursday works for me, the weekend is out due to a wedding, and Wednesday is out due to me having to be on a train at 6 am to get to said wedding (it's far far away!). Any day next week should work as well.

Alternatively, I can play anytime between 5 and 12 pm my time, which is 8am - 3pm your time the following day... god this is confusing. With those times though I'm only available tomorrow (my tuesday, your wednesday) or next week.

Anyone else's head hurt?

Oh, btw, my name is mike-L, just lowercased.

Well, that tomorrow you mentioned would be today for me now, and I should get home around 9 tonight, so that 9-11pm block sounds like it might be a plan...

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:Well, that tomorrow you mentioned would be today for me now, and I should get home around 9 tonight, so that 9-11pm block sounds like it might be a plan...

Hah, my head hurts, so this is in like 13 hours from now, correct?

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:Well, that tomorrow you mentioned would be today for me now, and I should get home around 9 tonight, so that 9-11pm block sounds like it might be a plan...

Hah, my head hurts, so this is in like 13 hours from now, correct?

Yeah, about that...

Aren't timezones fun?

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:36 am UTC

Avin and I just played our games. He (correct me if I'm wrong on the pronoun) won 2-0.

The first game we both went tank viking, 'cept I forgot my vikings.
The second I went cloaked banshees which were tailed by an observer into cruisers into losing my whole f-ing base.

Was good...

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:53 am UTC

Garion (mike-l) and I just played our games. I went 2-0.

The first game was fairly standard I got a really good banshee harrass which allowed me to expand and off 4 rax and the fact I was able to delay his lair tech so much that he needed to go spore crawlers meant I could just push ftw.

The second game was almost 40 minutes long and I won by going mass raven. He had a huge number of collossi at one point which destroyed my defensive MMM contingent, but I was able to deal with it using vikings and auto-turrets. I was just able to harrass so easily with turrets though that I was able to eventually take the game, despite being down a few bases.
Attachments
Erasmus_Garion.zip
(72.28 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Avin

Postby Avin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

llamanaru wrote:Avin and I just played our games. He (correct me if I'm wrong on the pronoun) won 2-0.

The first game we both went tank viking, 'cept I forgot my vikings.
The second I went cloaked banshees which were tailed by an observer into cruisers into losing my whole f-ing base.

Was good...

Here's the replays:

Game 1: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/9912 ... ost-temple
Game 2: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/9912 ... etalopolis

Oh and by the way, my replays with mutestorm were never posted, where he won 2-1:

Game1: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/9911 ... ost-temple
Game2: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/9912 ... ga-caverns
Game3: http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/9912 ... pes-of-war

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:58 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:The second game was almost 40 minutes long and I won by going mass raven. He had a huge number of collossi at one point which destroyed my defensive MMM contingent, but I was able to deal with it using vikings and auto-turrets. I was just able to harrass so easily with turrets though that I was able to eventually take the game, despite being down a few bases.

That game was hilarious. I'd love to give it another go. My macro was absolutely horrid, and during a key attack I forgot my VRs at home and didn't have anything to deal with vikings! FAIL!

Mass ravens are really funny, and actually surprisingly hard to deal with. Those auto turrets last forever and you can drop so many of them they are pretty hard to kill.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:The second game was almost 40 minutes long and I won by going mass raven. He had a huge number of collossi at one point which destroyed my defensive MMM contingent, but I was able to deal with it using vikings and auto-turrets. I was just able to harrass so easily with turrets though that I was able to eventually take the game, despite being down a few bases.

That game was hilarious. I'd love to give it another go. My macro was absolutely horrid, and during a key attack I forgot my VRs at home and didn't have anything to deal with vikings! FAIL!

Mass ravens are really funny, and actually surprisingly hard to deal with. Those auto turrets last forever and you can drop so many of them they are pretty hard to kill.

Having watched the replay, my own macro was kinda bad too... :/ And despite that comment about turrets, I never even researched durable materials.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:28 pm UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:Having watched the replay, my own macro was kinda bad too...

You were basically running off of three refineries the whole game. You never took the second gas at your natural and the third base only had one scv in each refinery. I was kind of surprised you won, but then the lose-your-whole-army-into-triple-expand build didn't work out too well.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

psion wrote:

You were basically running off of three refineries the whole game. You never took the second gas at your natural and the third base only had one scv in each refinery. I was kind of surprised you won, but then the lose-your-whole-army-into-triple-expand build didn't work out too well.

Pretty much that... I did eventually get enough scvs saturating those gasses at the third, but it was fairly late.

I really won it at the first major battle with those PDDs I think. Looking at the replay I was up a few thousand resources in units lost after that, and while the gap came down thanks to all the collossi ruining my ground army, and I was just able to fly around taking out extra expansions with the ravens.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:59 am UTC

psion wrote:

Hah yeah, I said my macro was terrible :) I'm just like... OK, army's dead, and I have like 2k minerals and not enough production to spend it... EXPAND!

psion

Postby psion » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:04 am UTC

Soon to be inactive players:
rigwarl
J the Ninja
Snow
Delbin
Mo0man

PM or post that you're aware of your match and preferably if you've been able to contact your opponent.

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 pm UTC

I'm going to withdraw at this point, getting ahold of opponents has just gotten too difficult. I'll try to be at Sat's FFA though.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:18 am UTC

I'm aware of my match, but my opponent's never online.
EDIT: or he messaged me to say hes unavailable anyway. :?

psion

Postby psion » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:39 am UTC

Yeah, rigwarl is unfortunately ill. It doesn't seem like he'll be back before the deadline so I gave the games to mutestorm. If you do feel you're able to play before the tournament's end I'll recognize the results.
Since J the Ninja withdrew, and Snow unexpectedly can't be contacted, I tied them 0-0. Delbin and Mo0man haven't been contactable for some time either, so they were also tied 0-0.
The last set is myself vs Blacksails, and he's having issues with his grad school network, but we're trying to work something out. I'll post a time if I can incase anyone wants to observe.
Just bad luck all around.

SPsnow02

Postby SPsnow02 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:11 pm UTC

Got the message on Sc2 yesterday, I've been busy as hell with school and stuff and hadn't seen any message from J. I'm still up to play if you guys want me.

Shooting J a PM now.
Rawr!

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:14 am UTC

Good thing we went another round huh

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:38 am UTC

Im going to play psion for the finals, once the school fixes my godddamn internet.

psion

Postby psion » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:08 am UTC

Maybe we can play later.
I don't see any more games coming up before the deadline so I'm closing the tournament.

Results:
Spoiler:

Supreme Champion: psion
Worthy Adversary: mutestorm
Maybe Next Time: rigwarl

Congratulations psion! Thank you.

mutestorm wrote:Good thing we went another round huh

I'd say so.

Return to “Gaming”