Dork Soulds

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Velexia

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Velexia » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:50 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:
Velexia wrote:"It will be alright... I still have you, dear sister... don't I?" :cry:
Yeah, my primary covenant is with her because of that line.

I gave her all of my Humanity because I felt so... bad...
Hail Eris!

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:26 am UTC

So... tried to summon someone and they invaded instead. Guess I won't be trying to summon non-NPCs again...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:54 am UTC

..was it red? Or we're they hacking?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:02 am UTC

It was definitely white.

I got a bunch of messages that went something like:
Summoning X
X Invaded
Summoning X failed

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:41 am UTC

Ah, lag then. When you invade, your white sign vanishes. Apparently it hadn't registered on the server yet.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

karpmage

Postby karpmage » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:22 am UTC

Love this game!! Makes me wish I had a PS3 as well to play Demon Souls.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:15 am UTC

Velexia wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:
Velexia wrote:"It will be alright... I still have you, dear sister... don't I?" :cry:

Spoiler:
If you give her 30, you can save Solaire.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:It was definitely white.

Summoning X
X Invaded
Summoning X failed

Probably lag.

Dude X drops summoning sign
Dude X gets bored waiting for a summon (seriously, the radius on that thing is pathetic and sitting around without something to kill because you've killed everything else = lame)
You initiate summon
Dude X whips out his (cracked) red eye
Dude X invades
Dude X's sign disappears
Your summon fails
You're now dealing with RED dude X who wants to kill you.

Still, no reason to not summon people. You can have both human helper and NPC, which makes for one hell of a jolly cooperation.

If you're planning to summon, seek out gold named players. They're members of the Sunlight Covenant, and a successful co-op nets them covenant rank.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Velexia

Postby Velexia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

Azrael001 wrote:
Velexia wrote:
Azrael001 wrote:

Spoiler:
If you give her 30, you can save Solaire.

Oh I gave her way more than that =3
Hail Eris!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:36 pm UTC

philsov wrote:If you're planning to summon, seek out gold named players. They're members of the Sunlight Covenant, and a successful co-op nets them covenant rank.
Warriors of Sunlight.

Oh, for the record, if you see DragonSign, summon them. You have to be 1)Alive, 2)holding a (or multiple) dragon scale in your inventory, 3)have no ally summons and I believe 4)have not killed the boss of the area. Which means they rarely get summoned.

But whoever wins that fight gets a dragon scale. As in - one is generated from nothingness. Getting a humanity is pretty easy. Getting a dragonscale is goddamn hard. The Path of the Dragon uses Dragon Scales to level up their covenant. As in, to get to the max rank, they need 80 scales.

Help them out. Worst case scenario, you go drop a white sign and help someone else for a bit to get your living status back.

And I'll say it clearer even - you will not lose a scale if you lose the fight. Doesn't matter if you're a member or just someone who summoned them. You will never lose a scale. The worst thing you can lose is a single humanity. ... provided you can make it back to where the battle happened, at least.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:47 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:It was definitely white.

Summoning X
X Invaded
Summoning X failed

Sometimes the summoning mechanic messes up and you can invade when being summoned.

Also, I've invaded and ended up as a white summon. And the weirdest one was being summoned 5+ minutes after I had removed my summon sign.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:27 am UTC

Dark Souls 2 trailer.

That singing...are they mocking a staple of the fantasy genre with this trailer? That would be pretty funny.

I only just started playing Dark Souls, so the only thing I'm currently hoping for in the sequel is a more straightforward jumping mechanic.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:40 pm UTC

So I picked this up for the PC. I'm going to purchase it on Steam here shortly. Considering it was such a bad port, I was nervous about buying it before trying it. Having said that, the keyboard controls aren't as difficult as I was expecting. I remapped the keys so that I could control the camera with the numpad, and rebound a lot of the other keys. I suppose it helps, having played Demons Souls and knowing how combat is supposed to feel and look, versus just playing it for the first time and trying to get used to really bizarre keybinds. When I looked at them though, I realize what the designers were trying to do with the keybinds. Had they taken the time to port it a little bit better (i.e. re-labeled the buttons for in-game promptings), I think people would have realized the usefulness of the way they set it up.

The graphics patch worked like a champ though and really makes it look pretty darn good.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Got this game on the steam sale. Gave it a spin today.

I'm thoroughly confused and faced with two skeletons that kill me in one hit, and just reassemble if I kill them.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

A duck

Postby A duck » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

Wrong way. I'm guessing you're trying to get through the graveyard, right? I mean, you could try and run through to get some items, but usually you should go back to the bonfire and then head up the path to your right with an aqueduct type thing at the end.
Hi, I'm a d*ck that wants to say a symbol.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:50 pm UTC

Yeah, always explore other options if you can't get through the way you want to. That graveyard isn't going to be your goal until much later. (Also, use blunt weapons against skeletons.)
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

A duck wrote:Wrong way. I'm guessing you're trying to get through the graveyard, right?

I think he went into the catacombs. Very wrong way.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 am UTC

It's do able, especially if he can get to the Zweihander. There is a perfectly good cliff right there.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:42 am UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Got this game on the steam sale. Gave it a spin today.

I'm thoroughly confused and faced with two skeletons that kill me in one hit, and just reassemble if I kill them.

Kill the necromancer or use a divine weapon. Since you just started.... yeah, you're doing what it feels like 90% of the people did - they went the wrong way.

Go up. Look for stairs, and go up. Up up up. Should end up in a ruined town.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Since you just started.... yeah, you're doing what it feels like 90% of the people did - they went the wrong way.
At this point I'm pretty sure it's the game designer's fault. :P

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:19 pm UTC

This game is significantly more difficult than Demons Souls was. Just sayin'. I'm also staunchly refusing to look at the wiki until I've played it long enough to run through the majority of the game. I consult youtube after beating my head against the wall but I also realize this game is very unforgiving if you go somewhere you're not supposed to, so I try a lot before I just automatically consult youtube.

So I found the smithy guy. I was actually quite relieved to hear that "tink" sound because I knew exactly what it was. I had been running through the game with just the basic weapons that have dropped for me. So I promptly upgraded a longsword to +5 and tinkered with upgrading a few pieces of armor just a little bit. I'm somewhat at a crossroads though. I can go up and kill the twin gargoyle bosses, but I don't hit quite hard enough to kill the first one before the second one attacks and breathes fire all over me. I can go down into the forest and face some crazy butterfly boss that sings a creepy song and proceeds to shoot me with sparkly light that eats my face. There's also an elevator that takes me down down down back to the starting area after getting out of the asylum. Which is the right way?

I love this game. I kinda wish I knew wth was going on sometimes, but I do really love it. I'd also love some clarification :)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:This game is significantly more difficult than Demons Souls was. Just sayin'. I'm also staunchly refusing to look at the wiki until I've played it long enough to run through the majority of the game. I consult youtube after beating my head against the wall but I also realize this game is very unforgiving if you go somewhere you're not supposed to, so I try a lot before I just automatically consult youtube.

So I found the smithy guy. I was actually quite relieved to hear that "tink" sound because I knew exactly what it was. I had been running through the game with just the basic weapons that have dropped for me. So I promptly upgraded a longsword to +5 and tinkered with upgrading a few pieces of armor just a little bit. I'm somewhat at a crossroads though. I can go up and kill the twin gargoyle bosses, but I don't hit quite hard enough to kill the first one before the second one attacks and breathes fire all over me. I can go down into the forest and face some crazy butterfly boss that sings a creepy song and proceeds to shoot me with sparkly light that eats my face. There's also an elevator that takes me down down down back to the starting area after getting out of the asylum. Which is the right way?

I love this game. I kinda wish I knew wth was going on sometimes, but I do really love it. I'd also love some clarification :)

I've read a thing where the game progression was attempted to be stated to you at the begining, and you're at the point where Up is always the answer.

Basically, the start of the game teaches you that Up is the way to progress. Down puts you in a place where it's hard to see and there's fricken Ghosts you can't even hurt. Side (and down) puts you in a place with monsters you can't keep down and lousy footing. Up puts you in a place where monsters are (relatively) easy to take. The Asylum was nothing but Up. Going back to it later is nothing but Down.

So you always want to go up. Up up up.

And once you hit the very top.... you're basically instructed to start going down.

All that being said, there are a few asides to the Up/Down split. The Catacombs, for instance, should be taken on after you ring the first bell as the Kindling rite is stupid useful. If nothing else, you should be in there after you ring the second and before you take on Laurel and Hardy. The Depths and Blighttown are a descent to a bell. The entire Darkroot Garden/Forest leg which the Garden is something you should take on before The Catacombs, and the Forest... dunno. Maybe after Jake and the Fatman. But when in doubt, up, then down is the right way to go.

Still, to answer your question - I'd take out the Gargoyles first. You can do the Moonlight Butterfly pretty easily if you go in Human Form and summon Beatrice. As long as you concentrate just on dodging, she'll take it out for you. With The Gargs, you can summon Solaire and Lauterc (if you rescued him) to help you. Or another human, as it's a pretty popular spot.

I'd even try throwing down your sign and assisting some others for a while, just to get accustomed to fighting them. Just... be warned that a lot of people like to make Level 20ish characters with ridiculous weapons and armor, and take out the first Garg in a couple of hits, making there be a slight pause in the battle as everyone stands around, waiting for the thing to show up.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:14 pm UTC

I guess I should read up on those things as the game has told me nothing about them. I'd really rather not read about spoilers in the wiki though. I've not saved anyone yet let alone summoned anything. I've talked to a few people, including the Miracles dude near the start, and some fat armored guy who goes "Hmmm hmmm" near the smithy. Which, as far as I can tell, that area is unlocked by buying the item the Smith has for the 20k souls. That's later on. My personal (least) favorite enemy so far is the sleeping armored knight that casts a suppression type spell on you that makes it so you can't move and then they beat your face in. The ones in the Darkroot area. I did manage to accidentally find a stamina regenerating shield there, so it wasn't a totally wasted time exploring that area.

It probably doesn't help that I'm playing a PC version and playing offline, but I'm not sure the online works all that well for the PC version. Thanks for the tips about going up. I must have totally missed the Catacombs pathway because I don't remember that being down there, but that's good to know that I am going in the right direction. I'll work on the gargs some more.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

The game tells you... very little, really. You have to read the item descriptions and put two and two together, and to get all the items I think you have to play through 2.75 games. Not necessarily NG++, mind you, just made it that far to make the various items on different characters would work.

The item the smith sells is for another gate. If you've made it to the stone guardians in the Garden, you've already seen the gate it unlocks. As a general rule, wait until you've killed the Hydra in the basin OR when 20,000 souls isn't that big of a deal to buy it, then go through what it opens up.

Mr. Sleepyhead (The Hmmmmm guy) is waiting outside a place you cannot enter until some other things have happened. Going through there is..... not quite yet the halfway point of the game. Just to give you an idea where you are.

As far as the stone giants go, you can often kill them before they've finished standing up all the way. I forget when you can start damaging them, but that was one way I fought them. That, and recognizing the Wood Treant things still in the ground and shooting them with an arrow so they wouldn't be bothering me while I tried to fight the stone guys.

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:59 pm UTC

but I'm not sure the online works all that well for the PC version

There's a lot of "summoning failed" that goes on, but from what I've seen the risk of invasion is also pretty low.

I think online mode also enables the player-made markers, which are awesome for first timers to help reveal hidden doors, shortcuts, and upcoming bonfires.

The giants are pretty manageable, really. Just have a shield with 100 P.Block and you're fine. Be patient during the slowdown because your stamina regens slower. I find multiple ent lasher things far worse than those giants.

Which, as far as I can tell, that area is unlocked by buying the item the Smith has for the 20k souls.

Nah, that unlocks a shortcut to a boss you'll need to fight a little after halfway into the game, but you can fight him any time prior. You'll notice a decent chunk of the game is nonlinear -- you need to off a lot of the bosses, but you can do them in whatever order you want, though some are easier than others. Have you beaten Havel (dude at the bottom of the tower with massive armor and a huge, one-shotting club) yet? The ring that he drops coupled with the elite knight armor set from darkroot makes the gargs significantly easier too, imo. It provides a welcome defense/poise boost so you can zerg down that first garg with a 2-handed weapon and not die in the process.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 pm UTC

Is that the one near the elevator that has the caster dude up top near the gargs? I've been aggroing him, running like hell and then sneaking past his area while he paths back to avoid him. I've not had much success with those heavy breathing knights yet. I need a weapon that can actually inflict significant damage to them.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Is that the one near the elevator that has the caster dude up top near the gargs? I've been aggroing him, running like hell and then sneaking past his area while he paths back to avoid him. I've not had much success with those heavy breathing knights yet. I need a weapon that can actually inflict significant damage to them.

No, Havel makes that guy look like a standard hollow

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:if you go in Human Form and summon

Why do this? You're missing almost all of the fun when you summon.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Mishrak wrote:Is that the one near the elevator that has the caster dude up top near the gargs? I've been aggroing him, running like hell and then sneaking past his area while he paths back to avoid him. I've not had much success with those heavy breathing knights yet. I need a weapon that can actually inflict significant damage to them.

No, Havel makes that guy look like a standard hollow

Fair enough. I haven't encountered him yet then. I guess I'll know when I do.

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:08 pm UTC

I need a weapon that can actually inflict significant damage to them.

Meh. Anything +5 will be fine. I'm pretty sure the altar guard is backstabable -- I know the 3 black knights you've encountered so far are -- just wait for them to attack, move out of hit range, and then run in and attack them no more than 3 times. Run out and repeat.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:30 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Fair enough. I haven't encountered him yet then. I guess I'll know when I do.

He's actually very early in the game on your way towards the Dragon bridge. You go to the basement of the little tower that you go up in to get to the dragon. He's waiting at the bottom. He's the first random strong guy I found and he soundly kicked my ass. But when you get a good feel for the controls he's pretty slow so he's easy to run around and backstab.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

Is he behind a locked door? I must have missed him completely. Now I kinda want to start over :P

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:59 pm UTC

riiiight. Yeah, he is. I know the master key (my perk of choice) works on that lock, but don't know what the standard key is.

Starting over is pretty meh. If you "misleveled" or feel like you picked the wrong starting class, you can just get more souls and start pointing correctly, or just walk back through missed areas.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:09 pm UTC

I don't really know if I misleveled perse, I've really just taken strength and endurance to 23 each and put a little into vitality. But I don't exactly know what I'm doing. I'm basing my decisions based on how I knew Demon's Souls to operate which is: in order to wear heavier armor and use bigger weapons and still be able to roll without hitting the ground like I was dropped from a 10 story building, I need enough endurance/ armor weight capacity. It's a pretty standard melee build, which isn't always the easiest setup.

Well, since it's behind a locked door, and I didn't chose the master key perk (I should have, boo!), I'll just keep moving on for now.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:if you go in Human Form and summon

Why do this? You're missing almost all of the fun when you summon.
Only if you summon other players. Summoning NPCs? On a lot of bosses, it just makes the boss harder.
Mishrak wrote:Is he behind a locked door? I must have missed him completely. Now I kinda want to start over :P

Remember the tower you climbed up to fight the Tartarus Demon on the bridge? Remember that locked door?

If you go down that, you end up in Darkroot Basin. *After* You get through Havel.

The other way is to come up from Darkroot Basin into the tower, and deal with Havel there.

Either way, there's... two very similarly named keys - something like the Basement Key and the Watchtower Basement Key. One of these opens the way to Capra Demon. The other opens Havel's Tower.

While The Master Key is a great choice for someone who already knows the game, I think it's a terrible choice for a first time player. For two reasons - 1. You can just buy one eventually, and 2 - it allows you to skip large chunks of the game that, frankly, you should probably go through to get better at playing the game. The Hollow is a pain, but if you haven't climbed down Blighttown first, it's a fricken nightmare.

As for your levelling, if you're doing a Strength Build, you're doing just fine. If you're trying to wield the Scimitar, you done fucked up.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:19 pm UTC

That makes a ton of sense, re: the key. It probably would be a bit confusing, especially since those doors lead to other areas, and not just rooms with a treasure chest.

I've found from Demon's Souls that if I'm not using guides and not getting tips on where to find (or make) the most uber weapons, running the strength build is the most logical one. Especially in a game that tells you so little about its mechanics and has no (!) or (?) or mini-maps. I don't think the longsword is going to cut it though.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:36 pm UTC

Man its been so long since I played that I completely forgot there was a locked door before Havel. For weapons in the early game I was using the Drake sword or the spear I had found in the cemetary when I did a quick suicide run through it. In the end I was using Furysword from one of the bosses and another spear variant which I think is in that big fortress area. I ended up making the uncursed Greatsword of Artorias but in the end I still liked the Furysword better. I guess if I leveled higher the Greatsword would have ended up surpassing it pretty quickly due to its better scaling though.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:39 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote: I don't think the longsword is going to cut it though.

Starting weapons are actually still really good when uploaded. My Wanderer still carried the scimitiar late game (but fought mainly with the Garg Halberd).

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 pm UTC

I don't think the longsword is going to cut it though.

It really will. Fully upgraded, most weapons become more about their moveset as opposed to their output. If you get a LOT of str, you can wield some huge-ass weapons with better damage scaling, but most of those suck due to attack lag and swing speed.

re: the rest of your stats -- pretty spot on. Endurance = carrying capacity = more armor. I find <50% to be my breakeven point with my general playstyle. Str or Dex = more weapon damage, weapon unlocks. Int/Piety don't really start scaling until ~25 or so -- they'll unlock new spells until then, but there are talismans/catalysts that provide a flat rate for people with lower int/piety prior to that point.

Even with a standard melee build, you'll get one slot for spell school (sword/bow + shield/???). Easiest is pyromancy since it's stat-neutral -- you'll want enough attunement for 2-4 spells by the end of the game, imo.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

Sweet, thakns for the tips philsov.

And to add to my growing list of questions that I don't remember the answers to, do bows run off dex or strength? My guess is dex. The manual was, (not) surprisingly choc full of a whole lot of words but not a lot of information.

Return to “Gaming”