The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Dual Wield Bacon

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:09 am UTC

Most of the 'Empire is bad' stuff comes from the fact that they are the invaders to Skyrim. And call me shallow, but that's why I'm a Stormcloak through and through.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:32 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:You use the grab functionality. I'm not sure how to do it on consoles, but by default on pcs it's by holding down e when hovering over the object.
Likewise for whatever button you have set to "Use" on a console.

SirBryghtside wrote:Most of the 'Empire is bad' stuff comes from the fact that they are the invaders to Skyrim. And call me shallow, but that's why I'm a Stormcloak through and through.
If the Empire is invaders, how come so many Nords worship the first Emperor as a god?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:36 am UTC

The most legitimate "The Empire is a horrible oppressor" argument I've heard from NPCs so far is that they forbid Talos worship, and that prohibition was only because of a treaty with the Aldmeri Dominion. Honestly, I'd rather have the Empire in command in Skyrim than to have not only the civil war but also the war against the Dominion.
yeah yeah yeah

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:01 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:If the Empire is invaders, how come so many Nords worship the first Emperor as a god?

Tiber Septim is apparently of Nordic descent... and grew up in Skyrim... so... this is all just sounding stupid.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:23 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Most of the 'Empire is bad' stuff comes from the fact that they are the invaders to Skyrim. And call me shallow, but that's why I'm a Stormcloak through and through.

... Wat?

They're the Invaders to Skyrim the same way Great Britain is an invader of England. They've held it for 600ish years at this point. The guy who started the Empire is from there. If anything, the Empire spread out from Skyrim and invaded everyone else.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:25 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:If the Empire is invaders, how come so many Nords worship the first Emperor as a god?

Tiber Septim is apparently of Nordic descent... and grew up in Skyrim... so... this is all just sounding stupid.

What's stupid is why I, as the supreme asskicker of the land who has harnessed the very power of the dragons am not at all ever asked to be in charge. I feel kind of slighted actually.

And my smithing is now 100, I did not realize I had that much stuff stored up in that chest. Should probably clear out my alchemy pouch.

Also, does anybody else have the problem with the fact that we're being Godwin's lawed here? Seriously, the blue eyed blonde Nordic people are the best and the only ones who should be there...

Spoiler:
There's also the fact that Ulfric is an agent for the Thalmor to make me like him less.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Spoiler:
There's also the fact that Ulfric is an agent for the Thalmor to make me like him less.

Please please.. please go back and re-read the file on him. Please.

Here, I'll help you do it. (Oh, Main Quest Spoilers, ahoy)

Spoiler:
Status: Asset (uncooperative), Dormant, Emissary Level Approval

Description: Jarl of Windhelm, leader of Stormcloak rebellion, Imperial Legion veteran

Background: Ulfric first came to our attention during the First War Against the Empire, when he was taken as a prisoner of war during the campaign for the White-Gold Tower. Under interrogation, we learned of his potential value (son of the Jarl of Windhelm) and he was assigned as an asset to the interrogator, who is now First Emissary Elenwen. He was made to believe information obtained during his interrogation was crucial in the capture of the Imperial City (the city had in fact fallen before he had broken), and then allowed to escape. After the war, contact was established and he has proven his worth as an asset.The so-called Markarth Incident was particularly valuable from the point of view of our strategic goals in Skyrim, although it resulted in Ulfric becoming generally uncooperative to direct contact.

Operational Notes: Direct contact remains a possibility (under extreme circumstances), but in general the asset should be considered dormant. As long as the civil war proceeds in its current indecisive fashion, we should remain hands-off. The incident at Helgen is an example where an exception had to be made - obviously Ulfric's death would have dramatically increased the chance of an Imperial victory and thus harmed our overall position in Skyrim. (NOTE: The coincidental intervention of the dragon at Helgen is still under scrutiny. The obvious conclusion is that whoever is behind the dragons also has an interest in the continuation of the war, but we should not assume therefore that their goals align with our own.) A Stormcloak victory is also to be avoided, however, so even indirect aid to the Stormcloaks must be carefully managed.

In case you're not drawing the same conclusion I am

Spoiler:
He's an Asset because he is rebelling against the Empire. He was an asset way back when as his flair for the dramatic wouldn't let him just keep worshipping Talos in secret like the rest of the Empire, no, he'd force the issue and thus allow the Aldmeri to restart the war with the Empire.

He's an asset because he's essentially an international incident waiting to happen - and he is happening. The Markarth incident all but let the Aldmeri restart the war. If Ulfric hadn't started a rebellion, the Aldmeri-Empire war would be back on. And the Aldmeri are probably in a better position currently than the Empire, but they also know that they can't let the Empire get back on it's feet. It's in their best interest to do whatever they can to prolong the Stormcloak Rebellion not because Ulfric is secretly one of theirs, but because it's bleeding the Empire dry. Stormcloak victory, Empire victory.. it's all the same to the Aldmeri Dominion, who want to take the whole thing over. They just don't want the victory tomorrow, they want it five, ten years from now, when all the fighting men and women have thrown their lives away in a pointless rebellion and all that's left is a bunch of barely trained conscripts.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:23 am UTC

Spoiler:
I still read that as working with the enemy.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:25 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

... Wat?

They're the Invaders to Skyrim the same way Great Britain is an invader of England. They've held it for 600ish years at this point. The guy who started the Empire is from there. If anything, the Empire spread out from Skyrim and invaded everyone else.

Plus, Skyrim basically has self-rule under the Empire. The Empire doesn't pick the High King or the Jarls and it doesn't enforce the ban on Talos worship. There doesn't seem to be conscription, or heavy taxes, or any kind of oppression outside of what they just aren't strong enough to keep the Thalmor from doing. The only real complaint the Stormcloaks have is wounded pride.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:27 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Spoiler:
I still read that as working with the enemy.
Spoiler:
Working with how, exactly? Does it really count as "working with" someone when you don't actually do any work that's intentionally in the same place as or toward the same ends as them?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:36 am UTC

Am I the only one that thinks the Thalmor are overestimating themselves? They've already been forced to withdraw from Hammerfell, which is closer than Skyrim and easier to invade. I don't see Skyrim having much trouble holding off an invasion. To the west is High Rock, past a mountainous border, and into the Reach, which seems an excellent place to fight a defensive war. To the southwest is Hammerfell, which would seem to have little interest in invading Skyrim. To the west is Argonian-occupied Morrowind, which is also unlikely to invade. The only possible route is from the south, through Cyrodiil. And though the Empire has submitted to a Thalmor presence, I doubt they'd just let the armies of the Aldmeri Dominion march through to invade their northern neighbor.

The major disadvantage would be in food, and that could be alleviated somewhat by letting the Dunmer starve first. (The Orcs seem fairly self-sufficient, and I doubt Ulfric would be dumb enough to try and grab their farming and hunting land while also worrying about Imperial/Aldmeri aggression.) Presumably, after securing their own freedom, the Nords could possibly even conquer High Rock, which would be isolated from the Empire.

The worry, I suppose, is that with the Empire now split, the Imperial legion is suddenly reduced to only people from Cyrodiil. That would mean they lack the Nords and Redguards, who are regarded as Tamriel's best warriors. After a few years of gathering their might, the Dominion could probably take Cyrodiil. That would leave them with four of the nine provinces under their control. From there, I doubt the Argonians could mount an effective defense. Their only real military accomplishment in the history of Tamriel has been conquering Morrowind after the eruption of the Red Mountain. Taking Black Marsh and Morrowind, they'd have a much easier time taking the rest.

...Which could make an awesome TES6. Bethesda could handwave the Stormcloak/Imperial decision away by saying Skyrim split after the death of Titus Mede II, despite the Dragonborn's efforts. After a devestating battle on the plains of Cyrodiil between the Aldmeri Dominion and the combined forces of Hammerfell, Skyrim and High Rock, an uneasy peace exists in Tamriel. With the Dominion weakened, Black Marsh has reclaimed independence, though it isn't yet secure. In the midst of all this, a prisoner is somehow released, and then BOOM the Tsaesci (or the Ka Po' Tun) invade from Akavir. Oooh, if it's the Ka Po' Tun, the final boss could be the badass Tiger-Dragon dude. Both could invade! Oh man it would be awesome. We'd get to play in Black Marsh, and we'd get the Akavir.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 am UTC

I just want more daedric princes/Twilight Zone related quests. Mind of Madnesswas fun.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:31 pm UTC

IcedT wrote:The only real complaint the Stormcloaks have is wounded pride.

Well, there's also the fact that not everyone in the empire is turbo racist, which might ruffle some Nord feathers.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:56 pm UTC

Not all the Nords are Turbo Racists either.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

Ok, quick question, prefer no spoilers, but looking for advice on Labrinthyian(sp?).

Spoiler:
Just getting into the place. I found the wooden mask. And it looks like I need 8 masks from Dragon priests. Ok, fine. Except I've got probably 100 hours or more into the game, and only have 2 so far. No quest or anything telling me where to go to find the others, and I really want to finish the Mage college stuff(despite none of my mage skills being above 60).

So am I just going to have to use the wiki, or am I missing something?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Microscopic cog
in his catastrophic plan

Postby Microscopic cog » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Yea the emperor was a nice fellow

emceng wrote:Ok, quick question, prefer no spoilers, but looking for advice on Labrinthyian(sp?).

Spoiler:
Just getting into the place. I found the wooden mask. And it looks like I need 8 masks from Dragon priests. Ok, fine. Except I've got probably 100 hours or more into the game, and only have 2 so far. No quest or anything telling me where to go to find the others, and I really want to finish the Mage college stuff(despite none of my mage skills being above 60).

It's not really mage college stuff, I guess. Kinda similar to things as 'finding all the word walls' or 'steal ALL the clothes'. Anyway,

Spoiler:
As far as I know they're all at word walls, most of them at the end of dungeons but there are some in the open world as well, found one at the world walls with a dragon for one of the bounty quests, was a nasty suprise.
Spoiler:
Interviewer: Some people say they can’t understand your writing even after they read it two or three times. What approach would you suggest for them?

William Faulkner: Read it four times.

An Enraged Platypus

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, quick question, prefer no spoilers, but looking for advice on Labrinthyian(sp?).

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
They are in fairly arbitrary places. You can either explore a million and one nord ruins or cave and get the list from the wiki.
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I think across my various characters, I've probably found five or six of them (although I sold some of them on before I realised their importance), of these, I think at least half were on top of mountains next to word walls and the others were at the end of dungeons again, next to word walls.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Is there another mask in Labyrinthian? I only got Morokei. Where's this wooden one?
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:07 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Is there another mask in Labyrinthian? I only got Morokei. Where's this wooden one?
Answering both spoilers, ShootTheChicken's first

Spoiler:
Labyrinthian is a complex of multiple zones - there's the part the Mage's College takes you to where you meet Morokei, and that's the largest part, yes.. but there's also the Labyrinth that gives the place it's name and another interior zone or two. There's also a barrow hanging out in the middle of the place. Go inside, and you'll see a skeleton, a note, a dagger and a mask. The note explains some stuff, and the wooden mask there just hums with power. Reading the note should tell you what you need to do.

And now emceng

Spoiler:
There are .. let's go with 9 masks. There's the Wooden Mask with no power, and then there's the 8 named ones you put on the thingy. One of these can only be found during the last mission - I say that because you're in a place you cannot return to, so make sure you pick it up. It's .. hard to miss, I'll admit, but people have missed it.

The other 7? They're around. I think Morokei is the only one you encounter as part of a questline. The rest you can often encounter by finding Words of Power, as they're usually near word walls. But there is no Quest-With-Markers. It's one of many unmarked quests.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

Just to defend my original point posthumously (damn you, timezones!) I more meant a 'cultural' than an actual invasion. The underlying theme of the war, to me, was that the Imperials were trying to force their own morals on the more traditional people of Skyrim - it's obvious when you look at the banning of the worship of Talos, and there are also plenty of hints towards it in other places.

Though honestly, I haven't tried the Imperial side yet, and both my characters so far have been races of men (Nord/Breton) - so it's likely I'm missing some really important things. I mean... from what I could tell when I started, it seemed like the Imperials were allied/controlled by the Thalmor, but at the end of the questline and after reading some of the posts here, I saw that clearly wasn't the case. So I'm not denying the fact that I could be TOTALLY wrong here, just saying what I know so far.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Kinda sorta, not Really?

I personally don't know the name of the system of government, or even if it has a name, but basically the Empire is the top dog of a feudal system, naturally. The individual provinces are expected to keep to Imperial Law - which is typically vague and broad (No killing, no stealing) and are otherwise.. left to themselves. The Government of Skyrim is the Jarl/High King, and the High King's word is law in Skyrim - excepting when Imperial Law contradicts it, which isn't in too many cases.

And even then, the laws aren't hard and fast. Slavery is illegal in the Empire...except on the island of Vvardenfell, where Morrowind took place. Same thing with murder. Murder was illegal, unless it was a Morag Tong assassination, which were completely legal in Morrowind.. and nowhere else. Because it was part of the Dunmer religious beliefs.

The Black Marsh, for example, is less of a controlled province and more of a place where the Empire keeps an eye on the borders and coastline, and the interior is left up to whatever the Argonians want to do with it. Bosmeri cannibalism is generally left alone, provided it's kept to Bosmer people in Bosmer lands.

The current situation in Skyrim aka Emperial Oppression of Nordic Beliefs, is the result of two centuries of the Empire slowly crumbling and falling apart and peace treaties to end wars the Empire may not have been able to win. It's.. yeah, in talking to Tullius, he's pretty clearly not at all happy with the Thalmor being in Skyrim, but is smart enough to not actually say "I hate that the Thalmor are in Skyrim" or anything like that. And.. honestly, a lot of game mechanics back up that neither the Empire nor the individual holds give a flying fuck about the Thalmor. Kill them and you never get a bounty, even though there's clearly witnesses (being the other Thalmor troops in the group)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:34 pm UTC

Though if you kill the one that walks back and forth in front of the Jarl of Markarth, the guards will get angry. So probably make sure you're a Thane before you slit that guy's throat and take his soul.
---

(he/him/his)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

Sure, but that might be just because they can't quietly ignore that the Thalmor agents have been killed, what with them being dead in the throne room and all.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:59 pm UTC

Is there a way to dismiss conjurations? As in, un-conjure them? Waiting around for atronachs to die is really irritating.

Koa

Postby Koa » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 pm UTC

My friend made a game of paralysing, knocking over and decapitating (through use of a one handed perk) any Thalmor prisoner transporting group he'd see - leaving the bodies near the road as a warning to others.
Signatures are for chumps.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:58 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:My friend made a game of paralysing, knocking over and decapitating (through use of a one handed perk) any Thalmor prisoner transporting group he'd see - leaving the bodies near the road as a warning to others.

I like the way this guy thinks.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:17 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:I mean... from what I could tell when I started, it seemed like the Imperials were allied/controlled by the Thalmor, but at the end of the questline and after reading some of the posts here, I saw that clearly wasn't the case. So I'm not denying the fact that I could be TOTALLY wrong here, just saying what I know so far.
The Thalmor were a minor political group among the Altmer, known primarily for their views on Altmer supremacy until the Oblivion Crisis happened and everything went to, well, Oblivion in a handbasket. They were the most effective at responding to the crisis, and so became the majority government after the crisis was over. They rule the Aldmeri Dominion that controls Alinor (formerly Summerset Isle), Elsweyr, and Valenwood. They went to war with the Empire, which ended in an Imperial surrender and the White-Gold Concordant, which was the first step towards making Cyrodiil a client state of the Aldmeri Dominion.

The Empire bitterly dislikes the Thalmor, but the Thalmor are stronger than they are. Both sides are building up for the next war, though it seems likely the Aldmeri Dominion will (should) win. The Thalmor are actively seeking to weaken Imperial control in all provinces, but they aren't as good as replacing it with their control (as seen by their retreat from Hammerfell). Once Cyrodiil is reduced from the center of an empire to just a kingdom, it's not clear to me the Altmer would be made better off by expanding the Aldmeri Dominion to all of Tamriel, though it seems like the Thalmor will seek political power for its own sake.

SecondTalon wrote:Slavery is illegal in the Empire...except on the island of Vvardenfell, where Morrowind took place.
This is no longer true, thanks to the machinations of Hlaalu Helseth.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Koa

Postby Koa » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:31 am UTC

...How do you know these things?

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:43 am UTC

Koa wrote:...How do you know these things?

It's in books, NPC dialogues, what have you. I can confirm everything he's said there, I read just about every book I come across and my understanding of events is the same.

An Enraged Platypus

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:41 am UTC

So, despite having clocked a ridiculous amount of time, the game has been refreshed for me by new skills and following a few immersion ground rules:

1) No fast travel.
2) No waiting. Sleeping is OK, and I try and sleep 8 hours a game night with no sleeping in the middle of the day unless I travelled/explored through the night the day before, i.e. it would be "catch-up" sleep.
3) No levelling Smithing, Alchemy, Enchanting just to abuse it for profit or godmode.
4) No travelling to places unless an NPC directs me there/points it out as a point of interest, or I encounter it on the way to same.
5) No loading to save dead companions, escape jail time, etc.

So far, it has been brilliant. I had Faendal as a loyal companion until he died in Saarthal, which upset me more than I expected. This was the first character of mine that liked the guy; for comparison, my assassin got caught stealing from him, killed him, and dumped his body in a river. There are lots of neat random encounters I never saw before with fast travel on, my favourite being finding Cicero in the road with his cart broken down on the way to Falkreath; I am not in his faction and do not plan to join, so as a player it is really neat to be the unwitting stranger enabling those events by fixing the cart. In similar vein I ran across Farkas and some whelps out hunting by not joining the Companions.
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:49 pm UTC

I'm hoping for a mod that works similar to Fallout's realism mode, but with stronger repercussions. I might be doing-it-wrong but food is useless to me, and I started off trying to keep my character eating and sleeping... but I tend to forget. That is also why I installed that immersion mod that takes away fast-travel; the temptation is far too much!

It would also be neat if food spoiled over time, then finding camps in the woods will be much more important if I have to regularly replenish my food stores and sleep. Keeping would be neat if someone added a water flask that you can fill at streams, maybe even throw in random chances at disease.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:54 pm UTC

I get the not using fast travel thing most of the time. When you're going on a quest or something, it only makes sense to hike it. But when you're just doing housekeeping things like crafting/enchanting/alchemizing/etc. fast travel is crazy useful. I don't want to walk back and forth between my Solitude house and my Whiterun house just to feel immersed.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

Microscopic cog wrote:

Spoiler:
Yea the emperor was a nice fellow

Spoiler:
No he really wasn't. Unless you count murdering your general and betraying your two most loyal companions to be nice.

The nords main beef is with the dunmer. And to understand why you need to know their history. Ysgramir and co were chilling with the Falmer until the falmer decided that mankind was growing too fast and needed to be stopped.
Spoiler:
Though thats the typical version, it's possible the discovery of the Eye of Magnus in Saarthal by the Nords sparked the attack too. Apparently the Falmer didn't approve of the Nords wanting to bury it again.

The night of tears happens, most nords are slaughtered, and Ysgramir and his sons return to Atmora. Ysgramir and his 500 companions return and absolutely slaughter the Falmer in retribution. Surviving falmer retreat underground and are enslaved by the Dwemer. The dunmer don't particularly like their non-merish neighbors and start harassing them. Cue several thousands of years of fighting back and forth. Red Year happens. The dunmer have very few options on where to go, most settle en masse in Windhelm after the decree of monument is made. A smaller group settles in Solstheim which the nords agree to cede to the Dunmeri people. 180 years later. Most nords of windhelm resent the dunmer. They believe they've been giving the Dunmer remarkable hospitality all these years and feel betrayed that the Dunmer aren't helping out with this war. The Dunmer aren't obligated though. Decree of monument states they aren't governed by the jarls nor do they have any obligation to the nords at all.

The altmer of windhelm have no issues whatsoever. One notes she was viewed with suspicion at first but was welcome after she proved her worth. You have Nurelion running the alchemy shop, and the altmer stable owner plus his wife as well. The argonians are a different issue. No one's ever really liked them. Not even the empire. It doesn't help that they're a vastly different species compared to every single other race, and can be mind controlled by giant sentient trees into doing things completely against their nature. (The khajiit seem to be a Mer race that were altered by Azura)

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:09 pm UTC

ShootTheChicken wrote:I don't want to walk back and forth between my Solitude house and my Whiterun house just to feel immersed.

Fortunately the game has horse carriages for fast travel from city-to-city.

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

I didn't even know that was a thing. 100+ hours and I missed that...

I rescind my previous statement. Carry on.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:07 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't see using the Cart system as being against the spirit of No Fast Travel.

I just find it .. interesting how people can do the same thing and have a completely different opinion. I've done the No Fast Travel thing with a character who I moved to the Reach as soon as I could and spent all my time there and.. it seems like you have to ride a horse for-fricken-EVER to get out of the mountains and into the plains of Whiterun. Without fast traveling, the towns and cities being "close" makes sense, as it usually is a bit of a ride to get from point A to point B.

I read a thing by someone else who went from Markarth to Riften and complained about the world feeling smaller now that he wasn't fast traveling. Like that Fast Travel had tricked him into thinking the world was larger than it really is.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I read a thing by someone else who went from Markarth to Riften and complained about the world feeling smaller now that he wasn't fast traveling. Like that Fast Travel had tricked him into thinking the world was larger than it really is.
That makes no sense to me, although I have never played a no-fast-travel game, one of the first things I did was walk from Whiterun to Solitude(I hadn't discovered it yet, and didn't want to spend the money on a cart or horse). It seemed to take forever and the game seemed huge.

I debate on using fast travel though. Morrowind seemed to be a lot of fun without it, with the only options to be to pay for Stilt Striders or boats to get between major cities.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:28 pm UTC

I might consider no fast travel if there were decent speed buffs in the game. In morrowind, I could friggin jump from one side of the island to the other using ingame items, no exploits. The freedom was a liberating experience. In Skyrim, it's just a grind. If I could fly like I could in Morrowind, I'd probably have used that more than fast travel as well. It doesn't make sense to add the restriction without also adding the freedom.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Return to “Gaming”