Battlefield 3

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Obby

Re: Battlefield 3

Postby Obby » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

big boss wrote:We should make an xkcd platoon

Totally down for that, but I'm pretty sure someone already took "XKCD" as a platoon name. I just searched, and it's only got one member. So unless "fireaziraphale" is from XKCD, I think a different platoon name will need to be chosen.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:13 pm UTC

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT use the same password for ea as you do for XBL. I was hacked recently, and a handful of other people are starting to pop up hacked on my other gaming forum. My points were used to buy upgrades for FIFA 12. This happened right after I got my ea account updated and hooked into the battlelog..

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/0/7694408.page

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

Origin is crap and BF3's browser interface is garbage. They should have just went with in-game menus.

Phrozt wrote:upgrades for FIFA 12

Wow. Talk about adding insult to injury.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

PockSuppet

Postby PockSuppet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

I quite like battlelog. Being able to navigate everything outside of the game is a nice feature. I'd like it if server player counts could update a bit more synchronously though, hopefully they'll update that (and add a join queue?). Friend features weren't working particularly well either, but the last time I tried to use that was beta so it's probably been improved or fixed by now.

I don't really see why everyone freaked out over battlelog.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

It's gotten better, but the lack of a join queue is absolutely ridiculous. It's not exactly a new concept.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:Origin is crap and BF3's browser interface is garbage. They should have just went with in-game menus.

Phrozt wrote:upgrades for FIFA 12

Wow. Talk about adding insult to injury.

Lol... no kidding... and I just got my introduction letter into FIFA 12 or whatever...

I'm hoping that some how I can track whoever this is so I can severely eff him up.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

I want to know when they are adding server ping listings.

PockSuppet wrote:Friend features weren't working particularly well either, but the last time I tried to use that was beta so it's probably been improved or fixed by now.

Nope, still shit. Chatting requires a shift-F1 to do in game and drops an ugly ass overlay onto the game to do it.

After a bit of consideration I'm going to retract the statement that Origin is crap. Origin is not crap, it is merely Steam-lite. The informational part of the website (where the stats and unlocks are shown) is a good idea but the server lists and joining should have been done through in-game menus or through Origin itself. The browser bar idea is a flaming turd and should have been laughed out as soon as it was brought up. It serves no function that didn't already have a home in either Origin or the game itself and serves to slow everything it's involved in doing.
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

PockSuppet

Postby PockSuppet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:12 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:
PockSuppet wrote:Friend features weren't working particularly well either, but the last time I tried to use that was beta so it's probably been improved or fixed by now.
Nope, still shit. Chatting requires a shift-F1 to do in game and drops an ugly ass overlay onto the game to do it.
Actually, I meant specifically with regards to battlelog. Me and a friend had some weird experiences trying to play as a party, partially because the browser bar didn't quite seem to keep up-to-date all the time (or would lose invites). I hadn't tried to use in-game chat more than fiddling around with the overlay to see what it looked like.

mind404

Postby mind404 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:45 pm UTC

Just a console (360) input. I know hate and shame, whatever.
Having a fun as hell time once it got up and steady. Squads being limited to 4 sucks, but we're working around it. The absolute blast part of this game (my first BF) is the squad play with my friends. Makes it very fun, but also dependent on my friends continuing to play. Coming from a CoD background the maps are epic in size and awesome. I do enjoy the ability to spawn and not immediately have to worry about spawn death (if spawning from initial deploy) and the ability to play in a way that you do live minutes without getting killed.
We will all probably get MW3 when it comes out, and for reasons that the 360 version of BF3 falls short. It has been much easier to get a group together in 360 in the CoD games and jump around. BF3 is horrible at breaking groups apart (esp if you are in a party +4 but different squads) and the fact that you can only drop out of a game after the game has started and not in the scoring screen... that is just unintelligent. I have a hard time believe a group of intelligent people sat in a meeting and decided that was a good idea. With as hard as it is to leave and switch servers, you would think they had a better queue system going.

Enjoying the hell outa BF3, but don't know how much longer it'll last, if everyone moves out, won't be fun not playing in a functional squad.
Chainmaille, our best personal raptor defense wear

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:58 pm UTC

Yeah, squad combat is my favorite part right now. . .I love BF for the teamplay. I regularly get substandard K/D ratios, but absolutely rock out the points, because I'm always doing what I can do help out instead of only gunning for kills.

Dhes

Postby Dhes » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:....because I'm always doing what I can do help out instead of only gunning for kills.

That’s how I usually play, I might suck at the killing, but I kick ass at telling everyone where the enemy is and repairing your tank. :)

Up till now I’m loving the multiplayer, the single player not so much.
I just hope I can keep my enthusiasm for the game after 11-11-11.

A XKCD platoon sounds like fun, I just wish it was posted and discussed before someone went in and just made one.
I’m dyslexic, so I tent tot pull things way out of contacts.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

I think its kinda ridiculous how much you have to level up the jets to make them useful. Before you get flares your basically sitting in the sky waiting to get shot. Before you get rockets your terrible at shooting ground targets. Before radar you can't see where anything is around you.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

ulster

Postby ulster » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Obby wrote:
big boss wrote:We should make an xkcd platoon

Totally down for that, but I'm pretty sure someone already took "XKCD" as a platoon name. I just searched, and it's only got one member. So unless "fireaziraphale" is from XKCD, I think a different platoon name will need to be chosen.

I think it allows multiple platoons with the same name, there are 5 [RDDT] Reddit, 4 [FB] Facebook, etc. Each is unique.

Lostdreams wrote:Has anyone seen a gun list with the actual attributes and physics attached? I'm trying to decide what sniper rifle, sidearm, and assault rifle to use and I don't feel like leveling all of them just to test their accuracy and range.

I've only seen this one http://www.google.com/url?q=http://bit. ... EAk1TVmnAQ

PockSuppet

Postby PockSuppet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:I think its kinda ridiculous how much you have to level up the jets to make them useful. Before you get flares your basically sitting in the sky waiting to get shot. Before you get rockets your terrible at shooting ground targets. Before radar you can't see where anything is around you.
I've been mostly avoiding jets for this reason. At least with the chopper you can get EXP in the gunner seat to get flares...

Jet:
First Attempt: Slam into terrain before leaving ground.
Second Attempt: Ah, so that's how you take off... OH GOD LOCK? WHAT SHIT AAAAA.
Third Attempt: Yay, airborn, no lock... good... now to figure out this flying thing... *5 minutes later, no kills/damage/anything, crashes into terrain trying to shoot people on ground*

I suppose that's technically improving, but I haven't even bothered since.

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

PockSuppet wrote:
Dark567 wrote:I think its kinda ridiculous how much you have to level up the jets to make them useful. Before you get flares your basically sitting in the sky waiting to get shot. Before you get rockets your terrible at shooting ground targets. Before radar you can't see where anything is around you.
I've been mostly avoiding jets for this reason. At least with the chopper you can get EXP in the gunner seat to get flares...

Jet:
First Attempt: Slam into terrain before leaving ground.
Second Attempt: Ah, so that's how you take off... OH GOD LOCK? WHAT SHIT AAAAA.
Third Attempt: Yay, airborn, no lock... good... now to figure out this flying thing... *5 minutes later, no kills/damage/anything, crashes into terrain trying to shoot people on ground*

I suppose that's technically improving, but I haven't even bothered since.

I've got enough unlocked now to make them useful, but I am still holding out for guided missiles, which at that point feel like I can rain death upon my enemies. Radar and rockets are also good.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Obby

Postby Obby » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:27 am UTC

Lostdreams wrote:I want to know when they are adding server ping listings.

Sorry to backtrack, but do you mean in the server list? Because that's already there. Unless you're talking about showing a number in-game on the scoreboard, because I completely agree there.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:03 am UTC

Am I just missing something or can you not shoot ground vehicles with the stinger?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:05 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Am I just missing something or can you not shoot ground vehicles with the stinger?

Yep. Its anti-air only.

big boss

Postby big boss » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:30 am UTC

I want the ability to create squads (name your own and such) and signal objectives on the minimap as squad leader like in BF2.

I see why you can't have more than 4 people in a squad thou, imagine if you could have any number, then you could spawn on anyone on your team which is a bad idea.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

big boss wrote:I want the ability to create squads (name your own and such) and signal objectives on the minimap as squad leader like in BF2.

I see why you can't have more than 4 people in a squad thou, imagine if you could have any number, then you could spawn on anyone on your team which is a bad idea.
BF2 had it where you could only spawn on your squad leader. Hardcore mode in BF3 has this same restriction (squad leader can spawn on anyone in the squad, though), and it's also a config variable that can be set on custom config servers.

I still want 6 people in a squad.

For signaling an objective on the minimap, a squad leader can still do it, except instead of doing it on the minimap, it's done with the spot key. Look at the icon above an objective, and hit Q. I do wish I could set waypoints in arbitrary locations for the squad to move to, though... that was a really nice feature in BF2 when trying to defend an area.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Obby

Postby Obby » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:20 am UTC

I think EA knows when I'm doing well, and purposefully drops my games during those rounds. Then it waits for my terrible rounds before it decides that it's OK to give me a stable server.

/sigh
The story so far:

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:57 am UTC

Regarding the minimap: I find that I am looking at it far more often than I am in any other game... although my only experience is BC2 and Black Ops. But yeah, I am using it to see that there's an enemy on the other side of some generic obstacle. In BC2 it was hard to pick out the red arrows from the colorful background, and in Black Ops the dots are usually sporadic and it's really hard to make out where they are.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:35 pm UTC

Does anyone have the higher end sniper rifles yet? Does the accuracy of the guns increase with a 12x scope vs the 7x standard? I only have the SV98 and SKS unlocked so far and while I like not having to reload the chamber on the SKS, it is completely worthless if I can't hit what im aiming at because the accuracy is so bad. The SV98 can hit accurately for as long as the 12X scope will go but misses at super long range are a pain because of the rechamber. I like the bipod for the extra range so I usually end up having that instead of the straight-pull bolt. Also I just got my first double header (2 headshots, 1 bullet) last night. Very satisfying.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

Obby wrote:I think EA knows when I'm doing well, and purposefully drops my games during those rounds. Then it waits for my terrible rounds before it decides that it's OK to give me a stable server.

There might be a explanation. That inexperienced players are more likely to not have favorited stable servers so less stable servers tend to be easier. I have myself tended to notice a larger number of level 30+ players on servers that are stable.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:Does anyone have the higher end sniper rifles yet? Does the accuracy of the guns increase with a 12x scope vs the 7x standard? I only have the SV98 and SKS unlocked so far and while I like not having to reload the chamber on the SKS, it is completely worthless if I can't hit what im aiming at because the accuracy is so bad. The SV98 can hit accurately for as long as the 12X scope will go but misses at super long range are a pain because of the rechamber. I like the bipod for the extra range so I usually end up having that instead of the straight-pull bolt. Also I just got my first double header (2 headshots, 1 bullet) last night. Very satisfying.

Honestly, I think the straight-bolt pull is infinitely better than the bipod with the SV98. From what I've seen, it's one of the best sniper rifles in terms of damage and accuracy, even though the time between shots is higher. The straight-bolt pull, IMO, is essential with it. Not having to un-zoom between shots is really nice for keeping track of your targets, and it makes getting headshots way easier at long distances because you can see where your shots are hitting in relation to how much lead and height you need to give your shots. The higher rifles, from the data I've seen, are mostly cosmetic changes or scope changes from the SVD/MK 11 Mod or the SV98.

It's so satisfying getting headshots on people sprinting across the open field on Caspian Border from Antenna and Hilltop.

Regarding the scopes, they don't increase actual accuracy of the gun, I don't think (at least I haven't noticed if they do). From what I can tell, certain scopes make certain shots easier. For instance, the 12x scope is much easier to get headshots with compared to the 7x scope on the SVD, but the chevrons on the 7x scope are much better for gauging how much height you need to give your shots. At least that's how I see it. I might be completely wrong.
The story so far:

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

I HATE the chevrons and it is much harder for me to gauge the height using them. The 8x scope style is my favorite out of what's available and I really wish there was a 12x with about 4 minor cross markings in between the existing ones because, with the marks being exponentially larger, the area between the second, third, and fourth lines are harder to gauge if they are 1/3-2/3 of the way in beween the lines. (I hope that made sense. :? )

Caspian Border is the main map I play and hilltop is a deathtrap.

I usually set down in 10 or so places across the map and stay away from run-and-snipe if I can so straight pull isn't as useful as a bipod for me. The big thing for me when I get to a spot, at least until I memorize location to distance drops, is sighting in. I fire one round at the top edge of a building for each of the spots people are likely to be and check the bullet holes to see where I need to be on the sight to hit my targets. If there is another sniper I need to sight for and they don't see me yet I will use something the same distance but away from them so they are not alerted. Snipers make easy targets if you spot them first.

One thing I really like is that there are anti-snipe points for almost every major snipe point on the map.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

You know what I love best about snipers? Sneaking up behind them and stealing their dogtags. It was hilarious when me and a teammate were running to knife the same sniper once... I lost, but then so did the sniper. :P

I don't have any playtime as recon though, and just a bit more than enough to get defib for assault. I much prefer close-combat.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:You know what I love best about snipers? Sneaking up behind them and stealing their dogtags. It was hilarious when me and a teammate were running to knife the same sniper once... I lost, but then so did the sniper. :P

I don't have any playtime as recon though, and just a bit more than enough to get defib for assault. I much prefer close-combat.
Yeah, I hate playing as snipers. And I hate it when my teammates all play snipers, I just want to scream("You can't win unless you take points/destroy MCOMs"). It's so gratifying slitting their throats from behind though.

I have pretty much all of the assault unlocked now and even better then the defibs are the underbarrel grenade launcher, shotgun, and smoke launchers. You can rack up kills so fast.

Also, I just unlocked guided missiles for the jet... what a disappointment. So much potential, but they are just too weak. Like it takes 3-4 to disable a tank. Seriously, this a goddamn guided missile that tank should be in pieces with one. Rockets actually end up being better.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:26 pm UTC

I actually play all the classes pretty regularly. My most played is engineer, but I try to put roughly the same amount of time into each kit. Maybe that's why I've been sucking, since I don't have all the unlocks that I could.

And you can actually 1 shot tanks with the guided missile, but you need to get your approach angle right. If you come at them relatively low and from behind them, you can 1 shot them since the missile will hit the weak back-end of the tank. There's a few videos around on youtube that show people doing this. It works the same as with the engineer's rockets, the tank's weak point is the back end of it.
The story so far:

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:You know what I love best about snipers? Sneaking up behind them and stealing their dogtags. It was hilarious when me and a teammate were running to knife the same sniper once... I lost, but then so did the sniper. :P

This happens to new and bad snipers. Not to say it doesnt happen to good snipers too occasionally but new and crappy snipers tend to tunnel hard and not stop to look around or at the map.

I was in a game yesterday where an idiot kept dropping the SOFLAM at the top of the rock right next to where they were laying. :roll:

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 am UTC

You should watch this. http://youtube.com/watch?v=psLbbjuNLho
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:40 am UTC

Talk about oblivios...

Also, I finally managed to get some levels for attack helicopter. Still can't fly em for shit though, but I did do pretty well gunning (and now I have heat seekers and IR flares, woo).

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:35 am UTC

Xeio wrote:Also, I finally managed to get some levels for attack helicopter. Still can't fly em for shit though, but I did do pretty well gunning (and now I have heat seekers and IR flares, woo).

How do the choppers in BF3 compare with BF2 and BF:BC?

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:
Xeio wrote:Also, I finally managed to get some levels for attack helicopter. Still can't fly em for shit though, but I did do pretty well gunning (and now I have heat seekers and IR flares, woo).

How do the choppers in BF3 compare with BF2 and BF:BC?

I think they're easier to fly, personally. But, they're also a lot easier to shoot down.
The story so far:

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

Since picking a new gaming console/computer is on my current to-do list, I have a question:

Does this game let you bazooka snipe people, fly planes in ridiculously suicidal manoevers, and go grenade-crazy?

Yes, I play BF games for the lulziness involved. Shoot me.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:33 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Since picking a new gaming console/computer is on my current to-do list, I have a question:

Does this game let you bazooka snipe people, fly planes in ridiculously suicidal manoevers, and go grenade-crazy?

Yes, I play BF games for the lulziness involved. Shoot me.

Bazooka snipe? As in, shoot people from across the map with rockets? I guess if you can aim them well enough, sure. It's not easy though. I did get a headshot with a rocket from about 100m though, it was hilarious.

As for the planes, yeah, they'll go wherever you can point them, up to a certain altitude. And the grenades, they only give you one unless you use the MOLLE vest upgrade that lets you carry 3. Or you could play support and give yourself an endless supply of grenades, but it takes a few seconds to resupply yourself.
The story so far:

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Does this game let you bazooka snipe people, fly planes in ridiculously suicidal manoevers, and go grenade-crazy?

1. Not effectively
2. Sort of. With the ammo box and grenade specialization you can do it to a smaller extent.
3. Yes but the explosion is not verly lethal to surrounding units unless you are precise.

My list of fun/annoying things to do:

1. Put a bipod and 12x scope on a bolt action sniper rifle and try to get kills from as close to base as possible to as close to their base as possible.
2. Get a tank and try to collapse multistory buildings with as many people in them as possible.
3. Get as close as I can to their base and place mines on all the roads out.
4. Mine the front and back of every vehicle spawnpoint, especially if we happen to own it at the time.

Obby wrote:Bazooka snipe? As in, shoot people from across the map with rockets? I guess if you can aim them well enough, sure. It's not easy though. I did get a headshot with a rocket from about 100m though, it was hilarious.

Spoiler:
BOOM Headshot

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

Bazooka sniping, from BF 1942, involved using the anti-tank class and it's hilariously weak bazooka to snipe people. Being unguided, it's just super-flashy, and you have to score a direct hit to kill anyone. Then, when someone does get hit, they just have the usual "drop dead" animation and die. Actually, the most amusing thing about that game was the lack of momentum at all (so you could do stuff like shoot down planes and they explode on the spot, or see tanks flying up into the air, or... anything). This video showcases a lot of that. Sorry to derail the BF3 discussion with nostalgia, but does it fix these old "bugs"?

The best thing about bazooka sniping was being a victim. You're happily playing Assault when you look one direction and you see a giant smoking ball flying at you. And kaboom. You get killed by a bazooka.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Reassuring Curve

Postby Reassuring Curve » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

A question in the same vein: can you steal have half your team standing on a B52's wings, repairing away?

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Steax wrote: This video showcases a lot of that. Sorry to derail the BF3 discussion with nostalgia, but does it fix these old "bugs"?
Semi-yes. In each iteration they have tried to make less and less crazy things like flying tanks or jumping out of your own air plane to fire a bazooka at an opponents plane only to jump back into your own. Yeah, you can't do that in BF3.

Reassuring Curve wrote:A question in the same vein: can you steal have half your team standing on a B52's wings, repairing away?
No, you will die very quickly.

Return to “Gaming”