What the hell, Xbox?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Lime

What the hell, Xbox?

Postby Lime » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Alright, so I work at Staples in Canada. Today, a customer wanted to know what we had in the way of Xbox 360 consoles. I told him the whole schebang, but because we had not price tags for the Xbox's for some reason, I couldn't tell him the price off hand for some of them. So he told me that he happened to have the SKU for the 250GB slim model, so I looked it up. First thing I noticed? The price. $97. What the fuck? I knew that couldn't be right, so I just told him that we were out of stock (we were, actually, I just kept quite about the stock so it wouldn't get his hopes up). He asked me to see what we have in the way of Xbox consoles in stock, so I looked in the back and found a few Arcades and Pros. I brought one of each out, and he asked me to price check the Pro for him. It was about $80. I was kind of dubious of the slim price because that was the computer lookup system, but this is what the console was ACTUALLY scanning for in the till. The Arcade was even cheaper, around $70.

What the hell happened? Didn't the slim JUST come out like a few months ago? Are Xbox's this cheap everywhere, or did someone at my store just make a royal fuckup?

Eseell

Re: What the hell, Xbox?

Postby Eseell » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:30 am UTC

Amazon and Best Buy are still selling the 250GB slims for at least $250, so either you guys are having an awesome sale or someone fucked up.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Lime

Postby Lime » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:36 am UTC

Yeah, even the Staples website is listing it as the regular price. The slim model had slashes near it's name, which normally means it's being discontinued, so I don't know what's going on there.

Chewbaccawacca
Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

I'm gonna go with a fuck up too. My original 360 red ringed a while ago so I bought a slim arcade with the 4gb built in. Cost me about $200.00 USD, and as far as I've seen that's what they're going for pretty much everywhere.
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:52 am UTC

I'd go with a computer fuckup as well. If xbox 360s were being sold for under $100, I'd be playing one now.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:58 am UTC

Uh, I bought SC2 used 9€, digital copy is worth 60€ (83.91 U.S. dollars: wat), so prices can get a bit weird? They were destocking or something apparently.

JohnMcL7

Postby JohnMcL7 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:09 pm UTC

I'd put money on that someone has found that odd Xbox price somewhere and posted it on a deals forum or similar if the SKU he had was a very specific one rather than a generic one hence having it to hand which I doubt most people would have when shopping for Xboxes.

John

Return to “Gaming”