Kerbal Space Program

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sardia

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:09 pm UTC

Janx wrote:I knew that this was a truly great game when my 12 year-old mentioned at supper one evening aspects of orbital mechanics that went into her first orbital flight. Wish I'd had this when I was a kid.

The base game or the expansion? I tried a new career after updating all my mods, and it was so weird flying without any flight aids. Had to eyeball everything and do multiple testruns cuz I didn't want to crunch the numbers.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:17 pm UTC

KSP is great.

I'm currently playing a career mode game with my Dad; he's doing the crunchy design, administration, and flight planning/maneuver node portion, and I'm doing the nimble-fingers piloting. Science gains are set to 10%, with a starting budget of 250 science, so we'll have to do some interplanetary work. Income and expenses are scaled way down so rocket costs are the majority of the price and combo contracts+recovery are important for turning a profit while the KSC upgrades aren't ludicrous. Contract durations are also significantly scaled down so that time matters and scheduling is a thing.
Lifesupport, KIS/KAS, KCT, some houserule tweaks (fuel cells come before solar so they have *some* use, small convertotron is just on/off and produces some of everything indiscriminately, etc)

The big mods are From the Eyes of Kerbal, and Raster Prop Monitor... I'm flying all the missions from inside the capsule with the tiny window and the internal instruments, and EVAs have the camera locked to be inside the helmet.

This setup has lead to some disagreements on safety.
On one hand; I really don't want to die out there, but on the other; I'm perfectly happy flying without Pilots/SAS.

The last flight was a triple-contract mun flyby with a free return trajectory for safety. Reentry plans changed at the last second, and then there was an explosion.
I had to split attention between attitude control and stabbing MFD buttons for info, but I was able to confirm that it was just an external camera mount that had failed.
Then there was a bigger explosion. Dad was more concerned this time, but I was pretty sure I was OK because the capsule still existed and the speed was already dropping to safe levels. The engine was gone and the fuel cell died, but the chutes were still intact, and I concluded that the materials bay had imploded from the heat, fragmenting the ship in two.
One splashdown in booster bay later, and 20+ science was raked in from high Kerbin and high Mun combined.

Janx

Postby Janx » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:05 am UTC

sardia wrote:
Janx wrote:I knew that this was a truly great game when my 12 year-old mentioned at supper one evening aspects of orbital mechanics that went into her first orbital flight. Wish I'd had this when I was a kid.

The base game or the expansion? I tried a new career after updating all my mods, and it was so weird flying without any flight aids. Had to eyeball everything and do multiple testruns cuz I didn't want to crunch the numbers.

Just the base game. Frankly I don't know too much yet since I haven't dived in but it is definitely next on my list; especially with Xmas break coming!
A fantasy adventure game straight out of 1985 evoked into the modern world. A philosophical portrait of meaning. A challenging puzzle. Whether you remember Oubliette or not, prepare to enter...The Caves of Janxrathra.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:03 am UTC

Mun adventure time!
I had a Mun rover that flipped over while attempting to circle the equator and leave comm relays and Portapotty (tm) lifesupport caches behind.

It has been there for a long time now with two engineers aboard, all of 50km out from Munbase Alpha.
Munbase Alpha has just one engineer, and a rescue ship. Problem is the rescue ship made a merely good landing last time, so it has no engine. I've got a spare skipper I can bolt on to the bottom, but that needs three Kerbals to lift.

TL;DR, I need to rescue the two Kerbals in order to repair the rescue ship so I can rescue them. Or waddle a total of 100km in an EVA suit across the mun.

Instead! I had the engineer at base bolt a wee little terrier engine (LV-909, 60kN) on the bottom of the rescue ship meant for a poodle (250kN).
TWR is >1, but not by a whole lot. Good enough to go 50km you'd think.
Didn't quite stick the landing and came in too hard. Splattered the gear and fuel tanks, but that crumple zone left the capsule intact, only 50m away from the rover.
I stole the RCS thrusters to bolt on to the rover's mast and that was good enough to get the rover back on its wheels.

Once the sun comes up, the three amigos will have to drive back to Munbase alpha for further replacement parts, and a new rescue shuttle needs to be built.
Also I have an extra impromptu 3-crew shelter with a hefty lifesupport tank to leave behind.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:13 pm UTC

What mods are you using, it affects the answer somewhat. Also, given you're only at the Moon, isn't it easier to send a rescue rocket from kerbin?

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:10 am UTC

The standard set of:
KIS/KAS, KCT, KAC.
Plus EVE and scansat and a few parts like battery indicators.
The important ones are TAC-LS, and EL for building parts on site.
(Good for scratch & dent fixes, but a fresh-from-Kerbin ship is always better balanced with part symmetry instead of eyeballing things)
Also, I'm playing with an anti-skynet house rule of computers not allowed to be in charge of engines to keep everybody employed.

It might be more telling to say that I've got 46 living staff, and of them, only Val is at KSC at the moment. Also 206 flights in progress.

I could have Val fly a rescue ship in from Kerbin for these guys right now, but I don't want to waste 3 days of her time moving a couple engineers 50km across mun.
(The engineers live there, and there's no plans to go home in the near future.)
If it were a real emergency, I'd look into sending something down from the orbital station. Or if they'll keep for a week, I've got a spaceplane due to return with 6 trainees that I can send out again. There's quite a lot of traffic in the system.

I managed to crash the rover again halfway back, but most of the pieces have been bolted back on in roughly the right shape to continue... less a few wheels, but I packed spares because this happens a lot.
The alignment is surprisingly OK still despite the manual reassembly; there's only a small pull to the right so far. 30km to go.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:37 pm UTC

There's an automated rover long distance travel mod, which simulates driving across a plannet. Bon voyage is the mod. Normally, I have it drive the majority, and manually control it for points of interest. 30km is a lot of tedium given the interface.

SuicideJunkie

Postby SuicideJunkie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:47 pm UTC

I did download that mod for my new game, and I'll probably use it for mundane trips.

Driving can be an adventure in itself, but I need to improve the rover design. Lower center of mass, better wheel base, maybe a roll cage. I want to look into making a kOS stability and cruise control system too. It should be able to feather the gas to maintain a cruise speed and trigger thrusters to automatically restore attitude and soften the impact if I leave the surface.

I did manage to complete an Elcano tour around Minmus, although I had to swap drivers and finished the trip with less than half the parts, using a gyro to keep it up on the two remaining wheels.
Minmus is pretty ideal for such a trip IMO; enough gravity that you can drive at a decent speed, small enough that it doesn't take months, and the terrain is dense and high enough contrast to make it a scenic trip.

sardia

Postby sardia » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:40 pm UTC

SuicideJunkie wrote:I did download that mod for my new game, and I'll probably use it for mundane trips.

Driving can be an adventure in itself, but I need to improve the rover design. Lower center of mass, better wheel base, maybe a roll cage. I want to look into making a kOS stability and cruise control system too. It should be able to feather the gas to maintain a cruise speed and trigger thrusters to automatically restore attitude and soften the impact if I leave the surface.

I did manage to complete an Elcano tour around Minmus, although I had to swap drivers and finished the trip with less than half the parts, using a gyro to keep it up on the two remaining wheels.
Minmus is pretty ideal for such a trip IMO; enough gravity that you can drive at a decent speed, small enough that it doesn't take months, and the terrain is dense and high enough contrast to make it a scenic trip.

Mechjeb has a rover autopilot. With it, I've gone very fast over hilly terrain. It does require gyro and RCS to keep everything stable though.

Return to “Gaming”