Final Fantasy Omnithread - All FF, all the time.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Box Boy
WINNING

Re: Final Fantasy series.... favorites?

Postby Box Boy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:18 am UTC

I've now played XII and I'm going to get the remake of either II or IV in a week or so.
Xii was, a bit of a meh. The plot was passable, the graphics and sounds were great and I liked a few of the characters. Seemed a bit like an offline MMORPG, but whatever, it was fine over all. 7/10

Now then, a local game store is running a special offer "Trade in two DS/PSP games, get a selected PSP/DS game for five euros"
I'm trading in Nintendogs (Eugh) and Brain Training (Can't be bothered to do it) and two of the DS games available are FF III/IV (Others are all oldish Disney/Imagine games and Drawn to Life).
So then, keeping in mind I like VII and X/-2, which of the them should I get?
Also, do either of them have any special features only available to Wi-Fi users, and if so, what are they? I really hate that sort of thing.
Signatures are for chumps.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

Neither of them are going to be similar to FF7, FFX, or FFX-2. FF4 will be closer than FF3, though, since it has an actual plot. FF3 was the first use of the Job system and will seem incredibly primitive even compared to FFX-2's watered-down version of it. It also has some really annoying dungeons. Also, FF3 DS won't let you get all the jobs without sending messages to your friends online. (That said, they are bonus jobs that weren't in the original release.)

Under A Pale Grey Sky

Postby Under A Pale Grey Sky » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:40 pm UTC

VII for me. Chocobo system was awesome, Sephiroth was badass (he pretty much takes out the solar system as Safer Sephiroth !), materia ruled, and characters weren't scared to swear! But it does have a bad feature in my opinion... that evil Honeybee Inn, and that whole crossdressing part. -.-
Firelight holds their peace
Sing farewell by smoke in the cold
We farewell the old
As they fall to silence

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:07 pm UTC

Under A Pale Grey Sky wrote:and that whole crossdressing part. -.-
That was my favourite part.
In the end I went with III, it's really good so far. Except for the way they make the Scholar and Ranger sound awesome, then reveal they suck. That was pretty crap for my team, specially since my Red Mage and Knight are now horribly underleveled because they kept dying in Heinn's moving castle (too awesome a name not to use).
Also, I forgot to mention, i recently played I and beat it with a Black Belt/Red Mage/Thief/Warrior build. It was hard, but was totally worth it to kick Sarda's Chaos's ass.

Under A Pale Grey Sky

Postby Under A Pale Grey Sky » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 am UTC

Box Boy wrote:Also, I forgot to mention, i recently played I and beat it with a Black Belt/Red Mage/Thief/Warrior build. It was hard, but was totally worth it to kick Sarda's Chaos's ass.

I keep meaning to try that. ^^
We farewell the old
As they fall to silence

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

It is so worth it if you have the time.
EDIT: Just realised I should also mention that I got to Elfland with a Black Mage instead of a black Belt, gave up, and a week later re-started with the other build. I'll admit i missed his sociopathic charm, but damn was it fun to watch BB beat Chaos to death with his BARE DAMN HANDS.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

I wish they would release 7 with better translation.
I don't even care that much about a graphics upgrade, I just want better dialogue.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:58 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I wish they would release 7 with better translation.
I don't even care that much about a graphics upgrade, I just want better dialogue.

I don't know about that, I couldn't really imagine FFVII now without 'this guy are sick' or 'Off course!'
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Under A Pale Grey Sky

Postby Under A Pale Grey Sky » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

charliepanayi wrote:

I don't know about that, I couldn't really imagine FFVII now without 'this guy are sick' or 'Off course!'

Or translation errors in the Fort Condor battles. Makes you think you got normal potions, when you actually get hi- or x-potions. ^^
We farewell the old
As they fall to silence

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

I don't even care that much about a graphics upgrade a better translation, I just want better dialogue graphics.
Translations are good enough for my standards, i want some Hi-Def on this game, even if only for the scene where Saphire WEAPON is shot.

Under A Pale Grey Sky

Postby Under A Pale Grey Sky » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:23 pm UTC

I just want a truly epic underwater fight with Emerald Weapon.
We farewell the old
As they fall to silence

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:18 pm UTC

What? Are cubes for hands not good enough for you? Back in my day yadda yadda.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:27 pm UTC

Decker wrote:What? Are cubes for hands not good enough for you? Back in my day yadda yadda.

No, but I think I might actually give a shit about her if I see Aerith's guts spilling out in Hi-Def for once as the blade pierces her spine and rips open her stomach.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:
Decker wrote:What? Are cubes for hands not good enough for you? Back in my day yadda yadda.

No, but I think I might actually give a shit about her if I see Aerith's guts spilling out in Hi-Def for once as the blade pierces her spine and rips open her stomach.

A change in facial expression might help too.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

Nah, iIalways thought she died the second it hit her and thus wouldn't have changed. Maybe her eyes should close, but she had a fairly blank expression during it anyway.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:Nah, iIalways thought she died the second it hit her and thus wouldn't have changed. Maybe her eyes should close, but she had a fairly blank expression during it anyway.

Yeah, but NOBODY'S facial expression changes. Which gets kind of weird after a while.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm UTC

Okay, I'll concede that point.
Also, I want decent voice acting. There is no way you can display Cloud cross-dressing with text in HD.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Final Fantasy 3 or 6 or 12 or ?? Challenge - Natural Magic

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:56 am UTC

I just read about low level or natural magic challenges for FF3, but can't seem to find anything about how this is actually possible to do (or if they are two different things?). I've seen videos of people at average character level 8 or so, killing Kefka, and I just don't get what's going on.

Anyone able to explain it?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Shivahn

Re: Natural Magic FF Challenge?

Postby Shivahn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:38 am UTC

They're different challenges - the natural magic one is where you're not allowed to use any espers, so Terra and Celes are (I think) the only characters that get magic.

As for beating Kefka with the low level, the video I'm watching now has a low level team, but they're all equipped with economizers, so all magic is 1 MP. And they all know Ultima and Life 3 (which can be learned without leveling by only fighting on the Veldt.)

Also, the later bosses can often be defeated by running them out of magic first. Rasp and osmose while keeping alive, and then vanish the team. Or just heal and revive while keeping tinctures when you run low on MP.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:40 am UTC

How does your low speed, HP, and defense from being level <10 not just make you get wiped as soon as the fight starts?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:14 am UTC

I think as long as someone gets a turn you're fine. If it's set to not advance time when you're in the menu, you can select spells leisurely. The videos look like the general battle strategy is:

1) Whoever gets their turn first casts Life3 on whoever has the Gem Box.

2) Life3 to everyone else.

3) If anyone ever dies, Life3 them again.

4) Cast Haste2.

5) Spam Ultima until you win.

As long as the enemy doesn't do two all-party hitting attacks in quick succession, you can't lose.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure there are invincible builds if you have the right equipment, but I'm not sure if anyone is using them in these videos.

If I were doing it, I'd also have everyone quick themselves each turn to get to attack twice.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:24 am UTC

Shivahn wrote:They're different challenges - the natural magic one is where you're not allowed to use any espers, so Terra and Celes are (I think) the only characters that get magic.

Not strictly true... Strago would still get blue magic, and several characters have specials that give you access to pseudo-magical effects, most notably Gau's rages. Anyway, there are a lot of ways to deal tons of damage without magic. The lack of healing and status spells is more of an issue, but cartloads of items can help to some extent. The real problem with a natural magic run is that you can't get the stat boosts on level up from espers, which makes your characters a lot weaker in general.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:52 am UTC

The video I saw had Celes blocking pretty much everything, but the few hits that got through only did ~9 damage. I just don't understand how that's happening. I forget though if there were items that significantly raised your defense when your HP was low, or other item combo's that would have significantly helped the matter.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:29 am UTC

I know there's an armor combo that makes you invincible. It's likely if you had most of that you'd take little damage?

If they're not hacking and the characters are low level, then the low damage is done entirely with armor and relics. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the armor and stats behind the game, as much as I love it.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

Celes blocking pretty much everything

It's a glitch at least in the SNES version, where your Magic Evade is also your normal Evade, and your normal evade is a worthless number. So the Aegis shield is awesome, among other things.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

Oh, there's that too. I think if MBlock is 128 or more, you become untouchable.

And I think that's in all versions until the GBA port.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Re: Final Fantasy 3 Challenge - Natural Magic

Postby Dark567 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

Celes? Terra?
Who are these characters? Aren't the characters in FFIII supposed to be nameless faces I assign jobs to, and that affects the battle.

I think you guys are talking about VII or something.

:-P
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

So do you just run from every non-boss fight and hope they don't get a lucky shot off on you? I just can't fathom how, without sneaky tricks/gear, you'd be able to avoid getting insta-wiped on even the most common of enemies.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

Yup. Run from everything possible. The most common of enemies rarely have hit-all moves. One or two of your people could drop, but that's nothing some items/magic can't fix post battle.

Also Mog/Moogle Charm or ?Charm Bangle? help.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:35 pm UTC

So I imagine money management is crazy harder to deal with... You're basically surviving off found items...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:Celes? Terra?
Who are these characters? Aren't the characters in FFIII supposed to be nameless faces I assign jobs to, and that affects the battle.

Yeah, if FF3 isn't actually Final Fantasy 3, blame me on the wrong title. Then blame Izawwlgood for not defining just what the fuck FF3 means.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Yeah, if FF3 isn't actually Final Fantasy 3, blame me on the wrong title. Then blame Izawwlgood for not defining just what the fuck FF3 means.
I was referring to the fact that this thread is actually about Final Fantasy 6 not 3.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Again, Blame me.. then Izzy!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

Pfft, the SNES cartridge I knew and loved said FF3 on it. You and your FF elitism can suck it!
EDIT: Yeah, it might have been confusing, which is why I included a reference to Kefka in the OP.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

I was referring to the fact that this thread is actually about Final Fantasy 6 not 3.

It was only FF6 in Japan, right? Which means calling it FF3 is still correct, isn't it?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

You got that backwards, the North American release of the 1994 Super Nintendo game is Final Fantasy VI. FF3 was never released to NA/EU until the 2006 remake for the DS; that is FF3.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:It was only FF6 in Japan, right? Which means calling it FF3 is still correct, isn't it?
It's been re-released twice in the US and Europe as 6, and its canonical name in the US is now considered 6.(Because the real FF3(The one with jobs) has been released a couple times as well in the US)

Ninja'd By Broken escalator

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

He's not really wrong to call it Final Fantasy III. The other Final Fantasy III, like II and V, was not originally released in the US. Rather than release only I, IV, and VI outside of Japan they changed the numbers around on us. Thus what we know in the West as Final Fantasy II (the one with Cecil and Cain and Rosa and the whale that goes to the moon) is called Final Fantasy IV in Japan. The one we're discussing here is III in the US, but VI in Japan.

That's also why the series suddenly jumped from III to VII when they started developing for the Playstation
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:23 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So I imagine money management is crazy harder to deal with... You're basically surviving off found items...

You can steal, too. And win money on the Veldt, I think. So it's not like you're abjectly poor, just... fairly poor.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:He's not really wrong to call it Final Fantasy III. The other Final Fantasy III, like II and V, was not originally released in the US. Rather than release only I, IV, and VI outside of Japan they changed the numbers around on us. Thus what we know in the West as Final Fantasy II (the one with Cecil and Cain and Rosa and the whale that goes to the moon) is called Final Fantasy IV in Japan. The one we're discussing here is III in the US, but VI in Japan.

Considering that they released the real III and also reverted VI's title back to VI, it seems like we're talking about VI here. So not only is it VI in Japan, but it is VI in the US too, it was just at one point in time localized as III.

Return to “Gaming”