Gizmodo Girl Writes Scathing "Magic" Article

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Glmclain

Gizmodo Girl Writes Scathing "Magic" Article

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:01 am UTC

---
Last edited by Glmclain on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:01 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Re: Gizmodo Girl Writes Scathing "Magic" Article

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:15 am UTC

Wow, seriously. Not sure what else to say.

Except I guess that gizmodo is a gawker site that isn't io9, so this is pretty much par for the course.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:18 am UTC

---
Last edited by Glmclain on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:00 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

mmmcannibalism

Postby mmmcannibalism » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:32 am UTC

Maybe I'm an OKCupid asshole for calling it that way. Maybe I'm shallow for not being able to see past Jon's world title. I'll own that. But there's a larger point here: that judging people on shallow stuff is human nature; one person's Magic is another person's fingernail biting, or sports obsession, or verbal tic. No online dating profile in the world is comprehensive enough to highlight every person's peccadillo, or anticipate the inane biases that each of us lugs around. There's no snapshot in the world that can account for our snap judgments.

So just to clarify; she thinks a single personality tick is enough to avoid even trying a relationship? I can just see her getting divorced in twenty years over a lifted toilet seat.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:07 am UTC

You can see her getting married? She just immortalized her asshattery on the internet, in article format. She just mentions who she is, and where she writes, to someone she's dating, and they'll see that.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:08 am UTC

I would seriously rather have a Magic card named after me than have written this article for the web.

I know chicks who would think the card is cool, at least.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:50 am UTC

It sure would be terrible to date someone who plays silly games for a living! I can't imagine that any girl would want to date a professional footballer or Olympic medalist.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:54 am UTC

mmmcannibalism wrote:
Maybe I'm an OKCupid asshole for calling it that way. Maybe I'm shallow for not being able to see past Jon's world title. I'll own that. But there's a larger point here: that judging people on shallow stuff is human nature; one person's Magic is another person's fingernail biting, or sports obsession, or verbal tic. No online dating profile in the world is comprehensive enough to highlight every person's peccadillo, or anticipate the inane biases that each of us lugs around. There's no snapshot in the world that can account for our snap judgments.

So just to clarify; she thinks a single personality tick is enough to avoid even trying a relationship? I can just see her getting divorced in twenty years over a lifted toilet seat.

It wasn't that she overreacts to a single personality tick. It's that she seems to overestimate how big of a personality trait a "dedication" to Magic is.

Honestly it doesn't sound like she's ripping on card games at all, she just doesn't like not knowing every aspect of someone's life before dating them. Imagine your SO told you they "had an interest in politics". Then you find out they were the goddamn mayor of their hometown for a few years. You would think it odd they didn't mention it sooner.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:03 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
mmmcannibalism wrote:

It wasn't that she overreacts to a single personality tick. It's that she seems to overestimate how big of a personality trait a "dedication" to Magic is.

Honestly it doesn't sound like she's ripping on card games at all, she just doesn't like not knowing every aspect of someone's life before dating them. Imagine your SO told you they "had an interest in politics". Then you find out they were the goddamn mayor of their hometown for a few years. You would think it odd they didn't mention it sooner.

Yeah but as she mentions in the article, she was encouraged to google who he was and she neglected to. This sort of information could easily be found out with a little bit of research.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:51 am UTC

Not to mention, so what? You went on one date with a guy before you found out what his job was?

You'll think you've found a normal bearded guy with a job, only to end up sharing goat cheese with a guy who takes you to a one-man show based on Jeffrey Dahmer's life story.

That really annoys me. So having a well-paying job winning competitions is equal to someone obsessing over a serial killer? And it really fucking bugs me when people say this is a facet of online dating. So when you go out with someone you met in a club, you instantly know everything about them? Guess what, when you date someone you will not instantly know everything about them, the whole point of the dating process is to GET TO KNOW THE PERSON. Optimus Fucking Prime how hard is it to be aware of that? Should I be annoyed if I date a policewoman and not know the ins and outs of policing. Should only women who understand the offside rule be able to date footballers? What the absolute fuck?

eeris

Postby eeris » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:50 am UTC

You could make a (de)motivational poster out of the look of disgust currently on my face.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:It sure would be terrible to date someone who plays silly games for a living! I can't imagine that any girl would want to date a professional footballer or Olympic medalist.

this was more or less my thought, and he's not just good, he's the world champion.

although, maybe she was threatened that her SO could end up being, god forbid, more famous than her measly gizmodo-blogger self.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:02 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Honestly it doesn't sound like she's ripping on card games at all, she just doesn't like not knowing every aspect of someone's life before dating them. Imagine your SO told you they "had an interest in politics". Then you find out they were the goddamn mayor of their hometown for a few years. You would think it odd they didn't mention it sooner.

Sooner than the first date? I mean, I suppose you could argue that it should have been in his online profile, but it's not like he waited until two weeks before the wedding or something.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:05 am UTC

Indeed. I mean goddamn, it's a first date. What the hell are you supposed to talk about on a first date if you already know everything about each other?

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:42 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:Honestly it doesn't sound like she's ripping on card games at all, she just doesn't like not knowing every aspect of someone's life before dating them. Imagine your SO told you they "had an interest in politics". Then you find out they were the goddamn mayor of their hometown for a few years. You would think it odd they didn't mention it sooner.

Sooner than the first date? I mean, I suppose you could argue that it should have been in his online profile, but it's not like he waited until two weeks before the wedding or something.

I think putting it your profile might give a strange impression as well. Like you're bragging or something.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

Yeah, I think I would rather know they play games from their profile and then find out they're the world champion, than have it prominently displayed on their profile.

As for the article: look on the bright side. Now, all the Magic fangirls know Jon Finkel is single and looking!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

She takes pains throughout the article to mention that she's being unreasonable. Frankly, I think she's more than entitled to have her 'thing' that's a deal breaker for her. It just so happens that her 'thing' is pretty unreasonable, completely misunderstood by her, and completely irrelevant to her existence.

She did say that she isn't a gamer, so maybe she thought they'd have nothing in common. I mean, if I were on a date with someone, and they claimed to like something that I knew nothing about, I know *MY* first reaction would be to write an article about it and post their full name online talking about how OBVIOUSLY I wouldn't want anything to do with them ever again.

In short, Mr. Finkel seems like a pretty reasonable guy (minus his poor selection for a first date event with this girl, which isn't his fault in the slightest) who decided that posting his prestigious accomplishment on his dating profile wasn't the path to securing dates. Which marks him as the adult in this exchange.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

Right, but why continue to point you're being unreasonable while basing an entire article about how this is totally a big problem, not knowing everything about people you are going to date? If she actually believed she was being unreasonable, instead of payin lip service to the idea, this article wouldn't even exist.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

The funny part about this is that she's not even good at being shallow. The same research she did to verify his claims also brings up the fact that he's a hedge fund manager.

All that said, if she spent more time mentioning that he took her to a play about Jeffrey Dahmer on their first date, I wouldn't really hold it against her so much, but then it would just be a bad date and not a story about how Magic players are seriously the worst.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

...eh, you know, I thought it was strange for a moment, then I really thought about it and.. it seems reasonable to me.

Now, I'm not trying to say what she more or less said when I say this.. that Magic players are basement-dwelling losers (after all.. I have a home office for dwelling!) but Magic Players are not always precisely in lockstep with the Mainstream Media portrayal of how a Normal Person should be. I mean, dude already spends an extraordinary amount of time thinking about little bits of paper with funny pictures on them, so Magic is probably not his only quirk.

Point being - take a girl to see a movie about a serial killing cannibal and see how she reacts. Having a good time? Awesome, keep dating, she's probably swell. She spend the whole evening in a state of wide-eyed panic? Yeah... you have no logical reason to keep dating this person to see if you mesh.. you probably won't.

...But yeah, from the opposite end of that, it's either going to be a kooky first date that's fun, or a "Holy shit get me the fuck out of here" moment for you, so... again.. mission accomplished?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Postby AvatarIII » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:
EmptySet wrote:

I think putting it your profile might give a strange impression as well. Like you're bragging or something.

it wouldn't be bragging to say "I'm a regular competetive Magic: The Gathering tournament player" he wouldn't have to say that he was the world champion or even very good, but it would relay the fact that MTG is a major part of his life.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

I see no reason to put down anything more than you like card games (or board and card, or that you're a tabletop gamer, or just a gamer in general). Putting down that you're world champion of Magic is going to be seen as posturing, even if it's accurate.

Which.. of course, wouldn't have prevented the bad date, but that's okay. Bad dates happen.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:it wouldn't be bragging to say "I'm a regular competetive Magic: The Gathering tournament player" he wouldn't have to say that he was the world champion or even very good, but it would relay the fact that MTG is a major part of his life.
Are we even sure he still does? His most recent entry in the wikpedia page is from 2008 (and from 2004 before that), though I suppose he could have gotten significantly worse or something...

Maybe he just plays for fun now occasionally. Seems like she made up her mind the second she heard "magic" and everything after that was attempting to justify it.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

I don't see how this article is really a tech article. Which, if she's writing for a tech blog, it really should be. It's not really about okcupid, it's about her bad experience dating some guy. Some guy who has fame 1 (minor celebrity among a specific group of people), and chose a bad play to bring her to.

I mean, sure, she can have any feelings she wants about magic, or dudes who wear suits, or big noses or whatever she wants. I think it's kind of poor form to write a blog entry on a tech blog about you bad date, no matter who the person is, and then the fact that they are a minor celebrity in a group of people is only making things worse. I mean, if someone were to go on a date with Felicity Day, and then write a scathing article about how she acts online (as in she is an actor in an online TV show) for a living, and this is the worst thing ever to you, people are going to call you out on it.

Also, when I read the title, then saw she was dating "Jon" I knew who she was talking about instantly. Which is kind of nerdy.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

In any case, publicly shaming someone because you didn't enjoy the date is poor behavior.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

The first line of the article even starts out with her being a bitch.

Earlier this month, I came home drunk and made an OKCupid profile. What the hell, I thought. I'm busy, I'm single, and everybody's doing it. Sure, I'd heard some stories, but what was the worst that could happen?

It could be read as 1) people who date online are losers, 2) apparently dating someone who plays Magic is up there on the list of 'worst things that could happen', 3) she made a profile whilst drunk, because obviously sober people would not use this crazy internet thing to find dates.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

My issue with her isn't that all it took was geekery to turn her off. I've been a geek long enough to accept that that is a thing and will remain a thing for the forseeable future. My issue was that degree of indignation and condescension she threw out over his geekery. It was like she was shocked that he had the gall to not have a bell around his neck declaring him to have non-mainstream interests. She uses the phrase "mothers warn your daughters" in reference to a guy having geeky interests without one hint of irony.

If this had just been an article about how she met a guy and was turned off by the fact that he was an MTG champion I'd be the first to say "hey, we all have weird turnoffs. I don't date girls who are anywhere near as tall as me". But if I ended up on a date with a girl who hadn't bothered to put her height on her profile I wouldn't write an article about what a deceitful bitch she was.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:19 pm UTC

Apparently, the Australian version has a few bits that were cut out of the US version:
This is what happens, I thought, when you lie in your online profile. I was lured on a date thinking I’d met a normal finance guy, only to realise he was a champion dweeb in hedge funder’s clothing.

But if everyone stopped lying in their profiles, maybe there also wouldn’t be quite as many OKCupid horror stories to tell.

Also, for all you world famous nerds out there: Don’t go after two Gawker Media employees and not expect to have a post written about you. We live for this kind of stuff.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2011/08/my-ok ... ng-player/

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:26 pm UTC

Wow. What a horrid woman. I hope her editor talks to her about this terrible article.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Or they humiliate her on their site too, perhaps in a 5000 word article calling her a shallow narcissistic bitch in various ways. Either or.

Kulantan

Postby Kulantan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Or they humiliate her on their site too, perhaps in a 5047 word character (917 word) article calling her a shallow narcissistic bitch in various ways. Either or.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

phlip wrote:(Scholars believe it is lost to time exactly which search engine Columbus preferred... though they are reasonably sure that he was an avid user of Apple Maps.)

Blog.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

---
Last edited by Glmclain on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Kulantan wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Or they humiliate her on their site too, perhaps in a 5047 word character (917 word) article calling her a shallow narcissistic bitch in various ways. Either or.

Counting - I only pay attention what are coins jangly bippity weee.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Can't read right now. Gizmodo is blocked at work. Will look at it later.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Alyssa Bereznak is making us females look bad. I’m ashamed on behalf of our sex that she said those bitchy things. In her article, she accuses a world champion of Magic: The Gathering of being a liar and a creep. In reality, her predatory and trollish behaviour makes her the creepy one.

First of all, let me say up front that I totally buy the stigma associated with online dating. I know online dating sites like RSVP have been around for yonks now, but I can’t help but think that it’s for desperados — a last resort. Alyssa’s piece about her OKCupid experience serves as a reminder that there’s a good chance you’ll end up wasting your time on someone like her, whose elitist attitude you would have not been interested in from the get-go had you met her in a real-life situation.
Earlier this month, I came home drunk and made an OKCupid profile. What the hell, I thought. I’m busy, I’m single, and everybody’s doing it. Sure, I’d heard horror stories, but what was the worst that could happen?

The fact that you don’t know when you’ve had too much alcohol already says a lot about you. Any guy will tell you that there’s nothing more unattractive than a drunk girl falling all over the place and having no idea how stupid she looks. The fact that you don’t know your limits when it comes to alcohol — or that you might have even deliberately got yourself drunk — doesn’t make you look very credible.

There’s no point wondering what terrible things could have happened. The worst that did happen in this situation was that you joined OKCupid and f**ked with some poor guy’s head and then publicly humiliated him. You talk about OKCupid being like “the online equivalent to hanging out alone in a dark, date-rapey bar”, but you just made yourself out to be the predator. You were obviously desperate enough to continue trolling OKCupid well after you sobered up and realised and you had no legitimate reason for being on there. It’s no wonder men always complain about women playing mind games. You managed to reinforce a stereotype that some of us have worked so hard to disassociate ourselves with.

I’ll readily admit that if he’s anything remotely like how Alyssa described him (which I doubt), I probably wouldn’t be interested in him romantically myself. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he’d be a cool friend to have — the people I hang out with the most are nerds of some kind, but I’m only really sexually attracted to blokey blokes. You know, the manly types that look good without trying too hard and aren’t fussed about having a bit of a belly. In any case, everyone has an ego, and crushing someone’s modest expectations of themselves is unnecessary let alone damaging to the self-esteem.

That’s why I find it so appalling that you laughed when he said he was the world champion of Magic: The Gathering. Why would you do that? Any other person would have been genuinely curious, and I would have been nothing less than excited to learn more about a game I’ve heard so much about, yet know so little of. It’s not easy to be good at something, let alone be the world champion at it.

It really is a shame you forgot to Google him before you had dinner with him. Perhaps then you might have given him the respect that he deserves. I agree that disclosing your marital status and any kids in an online dating profile is mandatory, but calling him a liar for not putting down the fact that he’s a world champion at something is unfair. I call that being modest — a highly desirable attribute, and one that you seem to lack.

As you suggested, being so shallow that you couldn’t see past his world title led you to make the truth look like fiction. If you walked away from the second date thinking that he was nothing more than “a champion dweeb in hedge funder’s clothing”, then that’s your fault. Did you ever stop to think that maybe he was in hedge funder’s clothing because he actually, you know, works for a hedge fund company. I doubt that a guy who’s intelligent enough to be in a job like that is so socially retarded that he’s unable to make conversation about anything other than Magic: The Gathering. And if he was, I’m sure you wouldn’t have hesitated to make a point of it in your slanderous article. Sometimes, guys need to be prodded into speaking about themselves. From what you’ve written, it’s clear that you failed completely at making proper conversation with him.

You not only accuse him of lying in his profile, you also accuse him of “infiltrat[ing] his way into OKCupid dates” with two people you know. Yes, it is strange, which is why I would have gone out of my way to ask him about it rather than make nasty assumptions about him online. You judged him so harshly and publicly without giving concrete reasons as to why we should believe you.

So what can we all learn from Alyssa’s rant? She’s a narcissist who you would probably not want to date, women can be predators online too, and be assured that her experience is the exception rather than the rule.

To the Magic champ: I’d love to hear your side of the story. Dinner?
BAM.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Forbes weighs in - The Science of Gawker's Nerd Baiting.

Spoiler:
The Science of Gawker's Nerd Baiting

About seven different people yesterday directed me to this Gizmodo article, in which a young woman, Alyssa Bereznak recounts a horror story she endured attempting to use OKCupid to find an online date. Fair enough, I thought, but this better be one hell of a story to warrant its own Gizmodo post.

She talks about the pains of being a woman on the site, lambasted with horrific and crude messages from guys left and right (something many of my female friends can attest to), and finally she settles on a “normal” sounding suitor.

Little did she know, this seemingly cool guy was in fact… A NERD!

Actually, he was nerd royalty. His name was Jon Finkel, and he’s the Magic the Gathering card game champion of the entire world, and a legend of the game who had his own feature in Wired and is now a successful hedge funder. Her reaction after she learned about this aspect of his life?

“At dinner I got straight down to it. Did he still play? “Yes.” Strike one. How often? “I’m preparing for a tournament this weekend.” Strike two. Who did he hang out with? “I’ve met all my best friends through Magic.” Strike three. I smiled and nodded and listened. Eventually I even felt a little bit bad that I didn’t know shit about the game. Here was a guy who had dedicated a good chunk of his life to mastering Magic, on a date with a girl who can barely play Solitaire. This is what happens, I thought, when you leave things out of your online profile.”

In short: “Magic? Oh me yarm ew!”

Magic Champion Jon Finkel

Now, I’m not here to debate about just how shallow of a person Ms. Bereznak is, the internet has lambasted her plenty for this. The fact that people can be superficial or stuck in a high school mindset is not news, as it unfortunately happens every day, even as the stigma of “nerdom” is slowly fading from popular culture as almost everyone likes superheroes and video games these days.

Rather, I want to look at the fact that as of the time I’m writing this, that article has 529,280 views. For those of you lacking a frame of reference, that’s an astonishing number, especially for something a mere 12 short paragraphs long.

I think that Alyssa knew EXACTLY what she was doing when she wrote this post. It’s the tried and true practice of online nerd-baiting in order to get traffic, and this, perhaps more than any other example, shows just how well it works.

People love to hate, and therefore writing a post trashing something people love, or stating an opinion that can so obviously be demolished is clearly bating for traffic. This is a practice I’ve seen across many of the Gawker sites before (Gizmodo being one of them), but this is a whole new level.

The fact that this was published on Gizmodo (the tech blog) rather than say, Jezebel (the snarky female empowerment blog) within the Gawker network speaks volumes about what they were trying to do. Gizmodo’s readership is hugely male, and hugely tech savvy and therefore mostly “nerdy” in the traditional sense. To post something trashing a “geeky” activity like Magic the Gathering would be the equivalent of their video game blog Kotaku writing a post trashing professional eSports. Oh wait, they did that too.

Why does this happen? Why would a woman subject herself to be publicly dragged through the mud by the entire male population of the internet? It’s because the life of a freelancer is based around getting hits, as the more you get, the more you get paid. This is especially true with the notoriously sketchy Gawker pay model, and though I don’t know specific numbers, I can safely say that Alyssa is riding a wave of nerd tears all the way to the bank after this post.

It’s an easy trap to fall into, and as a freelancer (and also a nerd myself) I can testify to the temptation to bait. I found myself dipping into such a practice last week by pure accident when I wrote an opinion piece claiming Google Plus wasn’t all that great. My posts don’t usually get more than a few thousand hits, so I figured I might get a few comments here and there disagreeing, but I didn’t anticipate the reaction I got.

That post now sits as my most popular of all time at over 100,000 views, and I spent the next WEEK reading through comments from angry G+ users about how I was wrong and guilty of the type of “nerd baiting” I’m condemning here.

It was genuinely not my intention, and I tried to write a few thoughtful follow-up pieces engaging the community afterwards and people could see I believed in the points I was making. But the fact is, it’s hard to argue with the results, as such tactics clearly do work for getting hits, intentional or not.

So as a freelancer, and as a publisher, you have to ask yourself how much you want to sell your soul in order to bring in page views. I’m sure that was Gizmodo’s highest trafficked day in a long while, but at the cost of most people visiting saying “Wow, how could they have actually published this?” Alyssa might be getting a fat bonus check at the end of the month, but at the cost of having her name permanently etched into the internet as a shallow, mean human being. Was it worth it? I’ll let them decide. All we can do in the future to fight such practices is to ignore them, but from what I’ve seen, we nerds just can’t let things like this slide, and so our anger will continue to be used as currency.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:40 pm UTC

Here's his side:
Thanks for all the support internet. People want “my side” but it was really a complete non event. Go out on a date that’s kinda blah.

Next day the girl tweets me about what shes reading about me, my reply is merely a prophetic, “Remember to use your powers only for good”

She then texts me about serial killer dreams and I dont reply because I didnt think we had much chemistry. A couple days later I’m home

and I’m a bit bored and I know she works right by me and seemed like the sort of girl I should like so I text her about grabbing a bite

Since I know she works around the corner. An hour later we meet up and it quickly becomes clear I’m bored, she’s bored(I assume)

But its raining heavily out.Eventually I suggest we head out anyways and luckily I find a cab. We go our separate ways and never speak again

At that point I just thought she was a nice girl, which I still mostly think. God knows we’ve all made poor decisions in our lives.

Id like to thank everyone for their messages, and Im sorry I cant reply to them all – especially all the date requests from cute nerdy girls

To be honest the article doesnt really say anything bad except that she doesnt like guys who like magic?

The only thing I really quibble with it “hedge fund uniform” – I’m not sure what that is, but I doubt it includes jeans and boots.

@Jonnymagic00 This should read ‘texts’, not tweets #freudianslip

Meanwhile Harry is demanding more of my attention. He doesn’t understand how important the Internet is. yfrog.com/j217778429j

He is one fine looking cat though. Hide your kitty daughters! yfrog.com/mfqbevj

Taken from here: http://skepchick.org/2011/08/jon-finkel ... -a-bullet/

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:49 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Here's his side:
Thanks for all the support internet. People want “my side” but it was really a complete non event. Go out on a date that’s kinda blah.

Next day the girl tweets me about what shes reading about me, my reply is merely a prophetic, “Remember to use your powers only for good”

She then texts me about serial killer dreams and I dont reply because I didnt think we had much chemistry. A couple days later I’m home

and I’m a bit bored and I know she works right by me and seemed like the sort of girl I should like so I text her about grabbing a bite

Since I know she works around the corner. An hour later we meet up and it quickly becomes clear I’m bored, she’s bored(I assume)

But its raining heavily out.Eventually I suggest we head out anyways and luckily I find a cab. We go our separate ways and never speak again

At that point I just thought she was a nice girl, which I still mostly think. God knows we’ve all made poor decisions in our lives.

Id like to thank everyone for their messages, and Im sorry I cant reply to them all – especially all the date requests from cute nerdy girls

To be honest the article doesnt really say anything bad except that she doesnt like guys who like magic?

The only thing I really quibble with it “hedge fund uniform” – I’m not sure what that is, but I doubt it includes jeans and boots.

@Jonnymagic00 This should read ‘texts’, not tweets #freudianslip

Meanwhile Harry is demanding more of my attention. He doesn’t understand how important the Internet is. yfrog.com/j217778429j

He is one fine looking cat though. Hide your kitty daughters! yfrog.com/mfqbevj
Taken from here: http://skepchick.org/2011/08/jon-finkel ... -a-bullet/

I guess it all worked out in the end. Jon gets inundated with date requests, and Alyssa gets lots of hits, and probably lots of money. The internet hate machine continues onward.

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

---
Last edited by Glmclain on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:All that said, if she spent more time mentioning that he took her to a play about Jeffrey Dahmer on their first date, I wouldn't really hold it against her so much, but then it would just be a bad date

The hell you say. A play about Jeffrey Dahmer is an awesome first date.

For the type of person I like to date, anyway.

Also, wow, Elly Hart's response article is almost as annoying as the original.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Return to “Gaming”