Kingdom of Loathing

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

superglucose
hermaj's new favourite

Re: Kingdom of Loathing

Postby superglucose » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:54 am UTC

Hi guys, I don't play much anymore but I'm Disco_Girl.

Yes, Disco_Girl is a boy, we've been through this a million times...

You might have seen me around /newbie back in the good-ol'-days... or see me pop in to say hi to Lillith or ADH... or even sit in /newbie for a while and marvel at all the new faces.

EDIT: I really slowed my playing right after the crimbo before NS13, and all but stopped at NS13. I did not like NS13 at all, for me the fun was in ascending as quickly as possible, and while the NS13 stuff was fun and funny, it just... took too long to be interesting more than once for me.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

So my friends more or less bailed on my clan, so I suppose I'll ask to join this one.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:07 am UTC

Hellllloooo?
I can has whitelisted?
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:30 am UTC

I finally got the Manual of Transcendent Olfaction.

Also, I just completed a hardcore oxygenarian ascension as a seal clubber, using no clovers. Now I've decided to try for a Bad Moon disco bandit ascension (going for a 100% black cat run) -- promptly rendering my newly acquired transcendent olfaction skill worthless for the time being.

Col. Mustard

Postby Col. Mustard » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:08 am UTC

Yeah I just finished my first oxycore run, although I used a clover so no BM for me. :(

So, if anyone here is fed up with playing KoL, why don't you spread your wealth amongst those who still play. ;)

Hyphe

Postby Hyphe » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

Col. Mustard wrote:So, if anyone here is fed up with playing KoL, why don't you spread your wealth amongst those who still play. ;)

Love to. But the server ate it.

I was slowing down playing, but the final straw for me was when I lost my shiny new hatrack. And that sucks, because I can't even really complain because no-one will ever believe me. >_<

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:47 am UTC

That's too bad. Accounts persist forever now.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

Completed my Bad Moon disco bandit run with 100% black cat. w00t! Now I'm a Bad Moon pastamancer.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

A cool new quest has been added, for those who haven't logged in for a while. It appeals mostly to mathies.

MordorIsBad

Postby MordorIsBad » Sun May 03, 2009 3:34 pm UTC

So. Applied for the clan. Name's Mangonel.
RealGrouchy wrote: "The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel."

- RG>

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun May 03, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

MordorIsBad wrote:So. Applied for the clan. Name's Mangonel.
I don't know how active the clan leader is. I waited months before I moved on to a different clan. Maybe they just didn't want me, I don't know.

A_pathetic_lizardmnan

Postby A_pathetic_lizardmnan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:55 am UTC

I'm considering applying to the xkcd clan, IGN is a_pathetic_lizardman...

I used to be fairly wealthy before the mmg...
Lifetime grand total: -392,469,147

I agree, avoid like plague. It's randomly addictive, but easy to lose everything you have.

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

Ouch. Should've quit while you were ahead, like me:

plusgood.PNG
plusgood.PNG (2.13 KiB) Viewed 5311 times

(Also, if anyone feels like finding me in KoL for Lord knows what reason, same name over there.)
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

A_pathetic_lizardmnan

Postby A_pathetic_lizardmnan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Yes, I'm back up to items with a mall value of about 180,000,000, though they're worth only about 10% of that. Still, from one million, that's pretty good. Kol has pretty manipulatable markets (somewhat realistic), one of the things that attracted me... I mean, beyond the cultural references and humor. And the community. Etc.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

Armadillo Al wrote:Ouch. Should've quit while you were ahead, like me:

plusgood.PNG

(Also, if anyone feels like finding me in KoL for Lord knows what reason, same name over there.)

Don't know about that. I used it to get enough money for a shop, although I've hit some hard times. I can't wait for my end of run to get rid of all the crap I don't need.
Spoiler:

A_pathetic_lizardmnan

Postby A_pathetic_lizardmnan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Yeah, I have quite a bit of crap to get rid of too... I keep putting it off until I actually need it for the sea, and that is financing itself right now.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:11 pm UTC

I will be joining the clan once I am level 3, but I am putting a hold on training until I figure out how to restore my hp.. I am currently down to 2...

EDIT: Just found the link to the wiki. I can heal now...
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

I applied to the clan. My name is the same as my name here. Except without the "C" capitalized.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

A_pathetic_lizardmnan

Postby A_pathetic_lizardmnan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:01 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:I applied to the clan. My name is the same as my name here. Except without the "C" capitalized.

Yoiu could change that... Just go under account=>name capitalization

LDJosh

Postby LDJosh » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

old account lost due to inactivity. i'm coming back as ldjosh again. plz do add!
--------
~Lameduck Josh
ninjajosh.com

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

I am a Level 8 pastamancer on my first ascension. Could some one please explain the difference between a first ascension, a normal ascension, and a hardcore ascension?

Aura Nightbane

Postby Aura Nightbane » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:53 pm UTC

your first acension IS a normal acension, that is to say, you have basically no restrictions on interaction with other players(well after your first one, every normal acension you do has this period called ronin, during ronin which lasts 1000 turns, you can use the mall or flea market, or trade with other players)

A hardcore acension is basically a full ronin run, only this time you cant acquire items use had from your last runs(which go to a storage run by a guy named hagnk)

there are casual runs, which are EXACTLY like your first run, were you have no ronin or anything..... but at the cost of not being able to perm any skills.....

rosetaylor01

Postby rosetaylor01 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:25 am UTC

Welcome to the Kingdom Loathing
Well, Neoseeker finally has a forum for KoL. Fantastic. Well, time for introductions.
I'm OS, I've been playing KoL for a couple of months now, my username there is LordNoit, and I'm the founder of the clan "This Is Not a Real Clan".

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:51 am UTC

In HC, do you get to keep your familiars? And don't you get to withdraw some from Hagnk's?

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:56 am UTC

TheTedinator wrote:In HC, do you get to keep your familiars?
Yes.
TheTedinator wrote:And don't you get to withdraw some from Hagnk's?
No.

Ended

Postby Ended » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:57 am UTC

TheTedinator wrote:In HC, do you get to keep your familiars? And don't you get to withdraw some from Hagnk's?

Yes you keep your familiars and can use them (they all start from 1lb again, though), and no you can't withdraw from Hagnk's (except free stuff). However, when you complete the last quest this restriction is lifted. More info here (possible spoilers).

[ninja'd]
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

TheTedinator

Postby TheTedinator » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:32 pm UTC

Cool. I was wondering whether to do hardcore or normal for my next ascension. I'm going to ascend for the first time relatively soon (I'm nearly done slaughtering the frat boys).

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

TheTedinator wrote:Cool. I was wondering whether to do hardcore or normal for my next ascension. I'm going to ascend for the first time relatively soon (I'm nearly done slaughtering the frat boys).
I'm on my first softcore run after doing a couple of hardcore. Hardcore is way more fun, IMO.

Androgen

Postby Androgen » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:15 am UTC

I have played this game in three different spurts. Unfortunately, after each of the first two, I managed to go something like 62 days without logging in due to real-life stuff, so they deleted my accounts... Now I've got a new one (same name as here) and I'm determined not to let it get deleted! Is it still 60 days to inactivity?

I'm fighting my way to the Silver Wossname right now. The hippies are down, just gotta take care of the frat boys. I'm currently in the Dwarf Fortress (!!carp!!) clan - how does the XKCD one compare?
Author of the terrible webcomic A Simple Life and the somewhat odd tale The Santa Dynasty.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:54 am UTC

As of February they've stopped deleting accounts due to inactivity altogether. KoL forums thread - Apparently anecdotes like your own was part of the reasoning behind the change.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Androgen

Postby Androgen » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:54 pm UTC

Man, I wish they had made that change sooner! So many hours of my life put into something gone forever now... *sniff* I miss all my Crimbo toys!

My character profile has a limerick about my sorrows:

I have played in this Kingdom before
I had tattoos and trophies galore
But I managed to miss
That ol' sixty-day nix
And they tossed my account out the door
Author of the terrible webcomic A Simple Life and the somewhat odd tale The Santa Dynasty.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

So, is the clan still active ?
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:54 am UTC

As far as I can see, the clan hasn't been active in months, as evidenced by the fact that leadership has since been passed to me because everybody above me in the clan ranks has gone inactive. We've still got some decent clan furnishings, though.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

hermaj

Postby hermaj » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 am UTC

Are you able to do all the clan leader stuff properly? I was clan leader but then went to a friend's practically empty clan so I could solo Hobopolis and things like that. But like, I'm whitelisted so if there are things preventing you from running the clan, like if people can't be accepted into it properly, I can go back in and see what I can fix.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

I used to be able to do it all properly. Then I was marked inactive. I have no idea who the clan leader is now.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

Holy crap KoL! I used to play this way back when it was just getting started. I was in a pretty well-known clan to, "Iocaine Powder." We were a pure PvP clan and managed to attack and beat the highest level and most wealthy players pretty often. There was one player who was well known for only having one PvP loss EVER, and we managed to ambush him and give him a whole bunch of losses or something like that.

Course then accusations started flying about how we were using hacks and all this crap and the game mechanics got changed so we could no longer use our tactics even though we weren't hacking. But this was like five or six years ago so I doubt anyone even remembers it now...

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:40 am UTC

Iocaine Powder is still around, and many players are aware of their exploits.

evilspoons

Postby evilspoons » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm UTC

I like my current clan (Old CW's) but I figured I'd just let everyone know there's another KoL player hanging around here - in-game-name is 'evilspoons' (huh, how original :P ) and I've been playing since April '06. I've got a good number of ascensions under my belt (30-40 iirc). Right now I'm slogging through a level 30 accordion thief run that was SUPPOSED to be over at Crimbo but damnit the number of scaling monsters was limited per day. :(

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:Iocaine Powder is still around, and many players are aware of their exploits.

Hah really? I remember all the people in it when I was still playing were really chill, and just liked to have fun. They even all chipped in and got me a Mr. Accessory for my birthday!

I wish I still remembered the forum address...

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:26 pm UTC

I find my first clan experience quite pleasuring - I'm currently a member of Clan of 14 Days. Friendly atmosphere, 200+ members, furnished.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Return to “Gaming”