Dungeons of Dredmor

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Jessica » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

Dungeons of Dredmor is a pretty fun rogue-like with fun graphics.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

You know, I got it and honestly didn't like it very much. Your ability to survive the first 5m seems entirely predicated on chance. On at least three separate occasions, I died almost immediately because I sprung some trap.

Still though, it is hilarious, and it does have a really funny sense of skill progression.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Well, it is a roguelike. Those games are notoriously hard (in the "you're pretty much fucked, you can't save, and we're going to kill you a lot" way) and it takes a certain kind of masochism to enjoy. Other similar games include nethack, a non-graphical or comical version which in other aspects is exactly the same.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Dungeons of Dredmor is great.

Izawwlgood wrote:You know, I got it and honestly didn't like it very much. Your ability to survive the first 5m seems entirely predicated on chance. On at least three separate occasions, I died almost immediately because I sprung some trap.

You can actually see all traps before you step on them, so they're completely avoidable if you're careful. Except for the odd one in a one-tile wide passage, but they normally just block a bit of loot rather than anything too important. Also, what Jessica said: this is a roguelike. The game even tells you, the first time you play, that you should expect to die a lot and the goal is to get further each time, not to finish it first go. If you don't like that there's also an option to allow saving and reloading the game.

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:Dungeons of Dredmor is great.

Izawwlgood wrote:You know, I got it and honestly didn't like it very much. Your ability to survive the first 5m seems entirely predicated on chance. On at least three separate occasions, I died almost immediately because I sprung some trap.

You can actually see all traps before you step on them, so they're completely avoidable if you're careful.

Not always. Only if you have decent perception.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

"You can only avoid dying a lot if you are good at the game."
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Decker

Postby Decker » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

I mean "perception" as a stat that your character has. Like "dodge"
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I mean "perception" as a stat that your character has. Like "dodge"

He'd know that if he was good at the game. Duh.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

Even without perception your trap sight radius is still 1 by default, so if you play with WASD or have awesome reflexes you can still see all traps prior to springing them.

As for trap avoidance, there's thankfully pushback mechanics (shield, martial arts, handy wand, psionics) and relocation (dodge and burglary, math if you want to port around a whole bunch) to avoid them, summonings (several magic schools, fungal arts) to just outright trigger them, and even trap affinity to disarm them. Archeology (tinkering too, I think) gives you +1 trap disarm at level one, so you can just tackle them yourself for exp gain at level 1.

Agreed on the first five minute though. There's nothing quite like opening your very first door to die to a pack of diggles and bats who swarm and overtake you.

Once I'm done with my current run (tank! martial arts, shields (2x shields), armorer, smith, vampire, dodger -- 101% chance to block~) I'm either doing Going Rogue difficulty or going for a Moderation Run with random skills.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Dungeons of Dredmor

Postby Jessica » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

Oh wow, you're much better than I am at that game. I've made it to the 3rd level. that's the farthest I've gotten in the game.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:54 pm UTC

It's actually kind of neat how much EXP you can earn from just disarming a floors worth of traps, but I'm still not sure if it's worth pumping trap affinity. "I could use my level up on skill X, or I could use my level up on a trap affinity skill which will earn me EXP to get skill X next level..." When you take into account that you gradually earn less/require more XP, why bother? Plus it's always fun to get enemies to walk into them instead of disarming them outright, especially some of the nastier ones.

Side note: Split this into it's own topic? And this, kids, is why we use the Report function for suggestions like this. -ST

philsov

Re: Dungeons of Dredmor

Postby philsov » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:38 pm UTC

I've done numerous playthroughs, but so far have only killed Dredmor himself once via Tentacular Wand abuse + invisibility.

I really like the talent system, so I can play as all sorts of builds. Some of course have more synergy than others (hello swords plus dual wield, I luv u).

The crafting system is a double-edged sword -- with the limited inventory space holding onto about two rows worth of crap is just not ideal. Tinkering is very much a must if you're planning on being heavy with archery/throwing weapons, but even then those builds are less than viable because maxed out skill isn't enough item recovery imo.

My favorite build so far is dual-wielded staves with pyromancy and blood magic -- enough melee oomph early on while I work on filling out the pyro tree, and then it has magical benefits by mid-end game when I just magic everything to death. Just... mind your own step and make sure to not suicide.

Fungal Arts is a great talent tree, btw. When I do have it I usually point that first before all others, just for the increased spore generation and then the pet will outright carry you through the 2nd level, and otherwise continue to be helpful down the ways by drawing enemy attacks (the enemy will -always- go after your summoned pet for melee if possible, but you still may get hit with stray magic) and triggering traps. But it's even more inventory gunk so if you're also crafting have fun not selling anything ever.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

I've found Alchemy a pretty strong skill about mid way once a suitable stash of iron is collected. It's possible to distill almost any alcohol into aquavitae, and distill every fruit into alcohol; This pretty much means your healing potion supply is tied only to the amount of iron you find, and if you have any smithing or tinkering to go along with it then you're getting LOTS of rust per iron ore. Nevermind that it essentially means unlimited mana since most of your alcohol can be distilled into simply better alcohol, plus crafting a fruit staff to finish off enemies with means every kill will give you about 9 bottles of the resulting fruits respective wine/brandy.

Being able to drip-feed myself with potions got me pretty far but I don't think I ended up finishing that run; I tend to lose track of my health bar when I'm feeling too confident :oops:

philsov

Postby philsov » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

heeeey, gaslamp games has a storefront at TopatoCo:

Derek

Postby Derek » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:54 am UTC

I played it for a bit back during the summer. Didn't touch it for several months then died while showing the game to a couple friends when I accidentally walked over my own thaumite swarm (great ability, btw). I don't really count it as a legit death.

It's a fun game, but I do have some criticisms. The first is that I tend to agree with Izawwlgood: I found the first floor to be the most difficult and I died several times there, but once I got knightly leap and started abusing fungal arts (it took me most of the first floor to figure out how it worked), I breezed down to the fourth floor (which is where I died). Much of that first floor difficulty seems to be luck that you don't run into too many diggles too quickly. A good roguelike should imo be hard, but have minimal luck (even if it's not obvious at first). Third is that everything in the game has the same speed, this makes it impossible to put distance between you and an enemy unless you can get an ability like knightly leap. But once you have such an ability, you can kite every monster in the game. I think the game would benefit by having a speed stat that allowed some early game monsters to be slower so you can breathe, but then allow faster monsters later that can chase you down.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:37 am UTC

I played it a bunch near when it came out and enjoyed it. Nothing was fantastically balanced, though. It was a very odd experience to kill the final boss while bravely running away, both blind and invisible.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

philsov

Postby philsov » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

I picked it up again recently. Looks like a new patch got pushed!

All the skillsets got expanded to be minimal 5 skillpoints, so there's a lot of cool new abilities out like burgulary randomly steals stuff from vending machines, berserker rage grants an auto-crit attack, and ley walker gives you some insane/broken mobility.

The minimap got some perks on it, too. Quest items and mobs will pop up so you're not stuck wandering around like a lost child.

Some mobs (squids, for example) now have a chicken-like AI where they will actively run from you if not in melee range and then occasionally shoot magic at you. Which has some very nasty potential in, say, a Zoo where there's twenty of them and they're all pointing their magic at you simultaenously.

Fungal arts is a pain now; the spores no longer spawn on the cursor but rather automatically in your bag, so there's clicking galore to spawn mushrooms.

Also I think I found my new favorite hybrid build -- dual wielding with viking wizardry and ley walker + blood magic. There's potential for vampirism too (which now drains mana with points) but it's likely overkill. 2 points ley walker grants the Tap ability which is better than free booze on command, and 2 points blood mage grants HP siphoning occasionally as well. Viking magic got buffed with the hand of borimir now being infinite strikes with an upkeep (just like the basic lightning booster) and is cheaper overall. Throw in support trees of choice and you're golden.

There's also the option to make the main character a female.

Return to “Gaming”