scariest game moment - ***spoiler warning***

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sarr

Re:

Postby Sarr » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:40 pm UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:Oh, and RE2 when the spider dude jumps off of the ceiling right at the start.

Really? This didn't really scare me.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

sunami

Re: scariest game moment - ***spoiler warning***

Postby sunami » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

SilentSigil wrote:Call of Cthulu DCOTE is definitely on the list... wow. just wow. *edit* incidentally, I can't finish playing this game because
Spoiler:
when you are on the ship, after you stave off the fish-men, my game doesn't display the 'lights on the shore' I'm supposed to be aiming at to kill the sorcerers making the waves... Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Spoiler:
If I remember correctly, you can barely see the lights from a regular view, but when you take control of the ship's big gun on the deck and zoom in with it (right-click? maybe? I think? don't remember how) then you can see them better

The part right after that is worth getting to :).
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Portal. Yes Portal. It's not even in the horror genre, but parts just stay with you.The writing, GLaDOS, the turrets. Hearing "I see you" in a childlike voice when you are sneaking past is scary as hell. Also the majority of level 19 was more chilling than hell after the release of Duke Nukem Forever, Starcraft Ghost, and a crappy game by Valve, simultaneously.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

ducknerd

Postby ducknerd » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Funny, I always thought of those parts as comedic...
17/Male/Hetero/Euromutt

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:39 am UTC

It's not a scary game overall (except in the ideological sense) but there's a great moment in Bioshock, that I really have to give props to.

It's pretty early, I'd say before you kill the good Doctor/get telekenesis? you go into this dentist's office, and it's icy-frosty...and it's so steamy. You go over to pick up some radio/logbook/whatever in a corner, that you have to approach a certain way. It's SO foggy....and then, you pick it up, you turn it around.

Friggin splicer staring you in the eyes.

Jumped right off the couch. GREAT use of a scare, silent hill-lvl hating.
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

Shazgonk

Postby Shazgonk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

The Ethos wrote:It's not a scary game overall (except in the ideological sense) but there's a great moment in Bioshock, that I really have to give props to.

It's pretty early, I'd say before you kill the good Doctor/get telekenesis? you go into this dentist's office, and it's icy-frosty...and it's so steamy. You go over to pick up some radio/logbook/whatever in a corner, that you have to approach a certain way. It's SO foggy....and then, you pick it up, you turn it around.

Friggin splicer staring you in the eyes.

Jumped right off the couch. GREAT use of a scare, silent hill-lvl hating.

That's the actually the moment that led to me nearly kneecapping a roommate with a hammer. It had put me a little...on edge.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:01 pm UTC

I don't really play any scary games, but today I found this one quite bad;
Resistance 2, playing at a friends house. Lights are off, large tv. Walking around the quiet city, seeing the odd squishy pod thing here and there. Armed only with a shotgun with a scarily small 16 rounds, I know something is going to happen, but I cant stop myself from hyping myself up getting scared because of the atmosphere. Then one of the pods explodes and a zombie thing jumps out at me.
FUCK!
I just squeezed the controller and single shot exploded it.
That actually scared me.
But then after that, going into another house, finding a colleague and going back outside. Only to see some pods explode all around me and a hell of a lot of zombies climbing over all of the fences around me. And nowhere to backpedal. They were coming faster than I could shoot. That scared me a lot.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

yohanleafheart

Postby yohanleafheart » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:42 pm UTC

Fatal Frame 2 - Playing it alone at home with headphones wasn't one of my brightest ideas.

Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of Earth - See I read all the tales, so I knew what most of the things meant. I think it was right in the beginning when I had to sleep at the Insmouth Inn, and I was sleepless in my bedroom and sudden flashes of the books came, I was completely and pussily freaked out.
"When you gotta do something wrong, you gotta do it right." - Fighter - 8-bit Theatre
"Life is a bitch. But it is my bitch." - Slick - Sinfest

yohanleafheart

Postby yohanleafheart » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Disco_Inferno wrote:
SilentSigil wrote:The 7th guest was creepy, too...

Yes, the 7th Guest...

To this day, I can still hear one of the .wavs that played when you returned to the game.

"Back for more?..... *creepy laughter*"

I don't remember if it were on 7th guest or 11th hour, but there is a phrase that I always utter when I'm debugging: Taking a shot in the dark, are you?

I love those games, specially 7th guest. Great puzzles and a good story.

Delbin wrote:The only game that's ever given me chills is Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption where you explore a haunted mansion. You progress by reading diaries and newspaper clippings of what happened in the mansion. Nothing to kill and hardly anything to kill you (watch out for the elevator,) but the atmosphere was very well done.

And it was a brilliant tribute to The Shinning. There was a part there that really creeped me out. Right after you enter the Mansion, and you are on the boiler room, and there is this girl ghost. I was really scared by how it was done.
"When you gotta do something wrong, you gotta do it right." - Fighter - 8-bit Theatre
"Life is a bitch. But it is my bitch." - Slick - Sinfest

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

I'm sure none of you have heard of this because it's an old macintosh game, but Pathways into Darkness scared me. Course, I was pretty young when I played it... but I didn't have a lot of ammo, and these monsters came out of nowhere and didn't seem to die when I shot them. That, and the fact that you communicated with the dead to get your information about the game put me on edge.

F.E.A.R. had several parts that were scary. The flames in the hospital the first time were eerie... actually most of the cut scenes from the hospital were frightening. And of course when she skitters away... that made my blood crawl.

Doom 3 had me freaked out on many occasions. I'm pretty sure I jumped a couple times at least. Thing is though, there was so much scariness that I went on sensory overload and just owned the crap out of everything... I'd be like, "AH HA!! A DARK CORNER!! I BET THERE'S SOMETHING SCARY! HAH!! YEAH THERE YOU ARE AND YOU SCARED THE PISS OUT OF ME!! WELL FUCK YOU, YOU'RE DEAD NOW!!!" Just charging through levels, repeatedly scaring myself over and over and getting numb to it to the point that I honestly felt like a lone marine who'd been to hell and back. That honestly made it a very fun game for me.

teamcorndog

Postby teamcorndog » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:To this day, I can still hear one of the .wavs that played when you returned to the game.

"Back for more?..... *creepy laughter*"

Waaaahh why'd you have to remind me of that? *shivers*
I also hated how when you hit "quit", Stauf yelled "COME BAAAAAAACK!" It was the loudest thing in a mostly quiet game, and it always smacked me when I was done with creepiness for the night.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:59 am UTC

Sooo many 7th Guest lines. Personally the creepiest was when you have to get though that maze. Every time you hit a dead end you'd hear "Feeling... lonely?" in this really deep foreboding voice that made you wonder if you were going to be eaten by a grue or something. Brrr!

Actually, Return to Zork. Being stuck in the darkness and knowing grue eating was imminent, but it was time based, not turn based anymore. Oh, and any time there was an unexpected death and suddenly the music would be blaring while you heard booming evil laughter.

All resident Evils prior to 4. The new style I can handle. The old style with limited ammo and so on freaked the hell out of me. Especially sine when you died it'd zoom in on the zombies chewing on your corpse. One of the few games I genuinely HATED dying in. Normally I can just lose the fear of death and start playing with a death wish. Takes the fear away. That works for Silent Hill. Not RE.

Unreal: Your first encounter with the Skaarj. Nowadays it would be considered a cliche moment, but it wasn't way back then.
Spoiler:
You're turning off a power generator and have to run down this long corridor. The music fades out as the hum of the generator gets louder and when you shut it off, there's only silence. As you walk back through the corridor suddenly you hear a mechanism go off and around the next corner there is a gate closed. By that stage you hear another gate close at the other end of the corridor. Then the lights in the corridor start going off one by one, click, click, click. It leaves you in darkness for a second or two before you hear a low growl, then a roar, and you're looking around wondering where it's coming from but that just disorients you since you can't see where you're looking anymore. Then the lights come on red and there's a new doorway opened with this bidedal reptile thing with wolverine claws diving at you and fast paced music starts up. Oh and you only have a pistol at this stage.
I killed it, but I sprinted like hell through the next 5 minutes of level.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:55 am UTC

The underground sections of Stalker, until you realize the game's so easy that nothing in there is gonna be a threat.

Doom3 on Nightmare. You hear those damnable infested Marines chatting and don't want to move for fear of getting surrounded and torn apart.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Xutar

Postby Xutar » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:47 am UTC

RE4 was incredibly scary on my first playthrough. then by my fifth it was meh. Then by my 20th I had beaten proffesional mode without even talking to the merchant.
Then I beat it without ever using my inventory. (heal from herb pickups and kill bosses with starting pistol)
In those last years of gamecube I was seriously deprived of any other good games to play.
Then it came out on Wii so I got to destroy it one more time!

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:30 am UTC

I remember RE0 being kinda scary... those giant leech monster things. But I always like to play my games on the hardest settings available, because I think a lot of the challenge (and scariness, in games that aim for it) comes from difficulty. Knowing those zombies are gonna take a lot of hits and cause a ton of damage... makes you go "OH SHIT" when one pops out right next to you, because you know it's gonna be dangerous.

For an example of this, play Doom3 on the easiest setting, then play it again on Nightmare; it's much, much scarier on Nightmare, because that same imp that took 10 hits to kill you on easy can now kill you in 2 or 3 (and a hellknight can kill you in one), which makes it a lot scarier when you hear one making noises nearby and then jump at you from the shadows.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Solid Freeman
Location: On the outskirts of the one of the smallest of the biggest of the second smallest.

Re:

Postby Solid Freeman » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:54 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:System Shock 2!

Fixed. :shock:

Seriously, though. The high-poly midwives, the way the first hybrid RUNS at you (I was expecting them to be like Half-Life zombies)...and protocol droids. Fucking. Protocol. Droids. I haven't gotten past Cargo Bay B or whichever one it is, because it just terrifies me that all these droids are going to burst out of their coffins at some point and come after me with that unnatural gait but it's so fast and the way they talk and oh my god I have four shotgun shells left and nooooooo
Can I get a "Fuck yeah, bismuth!"? (bismuth picture in spoiler)

Spoiler:

BobMacDhonnchaidh

Postby BobMacDhonnchaidh » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:04 am UTC

We don't go into Ravenholm...

Also, Doom 3 when the giant spiders turn up. I pretty much gave up at that point.
Thig crìoch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol is ceòl

Help save us from 16 years of boredom!

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:08 am UTC

There were a lot of scary moments in Doom3, but it was more like a haunted house where things hop out of you than a pervasive feeling of dread.

Resource management is especially important to ratchet up the tension in a scary game. Ammunition needs to be scarce at the very least, or even downright rare - not very threatening if you can just stand back and blow 60 shotgun shells into them knowing you'll get more in the next room. Things like flashlight batteries (a la Episode One's elevator sequence) and the like are additional resources to be managed and are another way of making things tense.

Dark, confined (a dark alleyway is much more daunting than a dark parking lot), and limited on everything - that's how you make a good scary game.

I would love to see a truly scary game done in broad daylight, though - that'd be a feat.
Everyone wants a slice.™

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:52 pm UTC

Fallout 3 has some scary sections in DC (I played that section in broad daylight).
Spoiler:
When you need to get through the heart of DC and to the GNR building, you take the surface streets and see a huge-ass guy with a minigun coming right at you. The Metro is creepy enough even when unoccupied (although I might be biased; I live near DC). When you get to that one building that is bombed out and surrounded by super mutants, and at the very end when the guy wielding the fire extinguisher plows through the bus made me panic to the point of reloading so I could prepare.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

I have never completed Call of Cthulhu: DCOTE, for the simple reason that when they burst into your room that night I completely freaked out and had to put the game away. Never been back since.

Haven't been able to complete SH2 yet either for similar reasons.

someguy

Postby someguy » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

I won't call them scary, and I'll admit that I haven't played any 'real' games in over a decade, but I love the way that the ambience adds to the puzzles in the Submachine series. Especially on headphones.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

mickyj300x

Postby mickyj300x » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:26 am UTC

My ones would have to be;
Eversion. Just... Eversion.
and
When you fail to stop a dog in COD4, and it rips your throat out.
I never get used to that.
Last edited by mickyj300x on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:51 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Thenzon

Postby Thenzon » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:51 am UTC

All of FEAR and Extraction Point. Especially this one moment when you're in what looks like a sewer system (i forget), and you start climbing up this ladder, and teenage Alma pops out of this hole and knocks you down off the ladder. Freaked the shit out of me so much the first time. Hell, even now that I know its coming, it still freaks me out.

segmentation fault

Postby segmentation fault » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:33 pm UTC

the entirety of the original "alone in the dark" while being 10 years old.
people are like LDL cholesterol for the internet

Ninjew

Postby Ninjew » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

mickyj300x wrote:Eversion. Just... Eversion.

That I would have to agree with. Level 4 for sure, level 5 not so much, and haven't tackled 6 or beyond yet.

Uber_Apple

Postby Uber_Apple » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Finding out that my dad accidentally erased my Pokemon Red save file when i was just before the Elite Four! I was only 7 so it was scary.

More recently, the metros and in Fallout 3 and being attacked by a Yao Gui in pitch darkness and managing to VATS just in time so it doesnt maul me.

Most of Bioshock.

Tingle. *shudder*

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

Ninjew wrote:

That I would have to agree with. Level 4 for sure, level 5 not so much, and haven't tackled 6 or beyond yet.

I've just finished this, it's worth getting all the gems.
When that first mist arrives...
What really gets me is the way the "READY?" before a level changes.
"MOTHER"
"I SEE YOU"
Ⓞⓞ◯

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

Forgot something about Doom3:
The fact that most levels have a decent amount of darkness, and you can't hold your flashlight and fire a gun at the same time... so either you hit the monster with your flashlight, causing your viewable area to go all over the place and essentially leave you in chaos for a second or two, or you can put your flashlight away and fire, hoping that the muzzle flash will be enough to survive by for the encounter...

mickyj300x

Postby mickyj300x » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:16 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
Ninjew wrote:

I've just finished this, it's worth getting all the gems.
When that first mist arrives...
What really gets me is the way the "READY?" before a level changes.
"MOTHER"
"I SEE YOU"
I've got the best ending as well, kind of creepy, but not as much as the "bad" ending.
The first time it said "MOTHER", I wasn't paying much attention, and I did a double take. But the most creepy thing was that it just said "READY!" for about 10 times after that.
And thirdly, the hidden level for the best ending.

dizturbd

Postby dizturbd » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Dead Space scared the crap out of me when I first got it. Those damn necromorphs tend to just appear behind you. All of a sudden you see two claws hovering behind your shoulder, and know there's something there. But you don't want to turn around. The necromorph knows this, and just stands there, taunting you.
There were a number of moments in that game which made me scream, and caused any friends watching to question my gender due to the high pitched nature of said screams. I.e. Small room + Massive invincible guy + No ammo.
Fun game though.

Avelion

Postby Avelion » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:36 am UTC

When I first played Ocarina of Time the gibdos scared the shit out of me. I was like 8 and didn't think to run behind them and slash wildy, nor did I know how to get one off when it latched on. So in my mind they were invincible to all but fire and were instant kills if they caught you. Not to mention that scream thing they hit you with.

I'll also add another vote for Ravenholm. Another part of HL2 thats comes close is that damned elevator in episode 1. Pitch black basement filled with fast headcrabs and zombines with grenades. That place still haunts me when I think about it.
"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Cory Doctorow

Solid Freeman
Location: On the outskirts of the one of the smallest of the biggest of the second smallest.

Postby Solid Freeman » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:06 am UTC

Phrozt wrote:Forgot something about Doom3:
The fact that most levels have a decent amount of darkness, and you can't hold your flashlight and fire a gun at the same time... so either you hit the monster with your flashlight, causing your viewable area to go all over the place and essentially leave you in chaos for a second or two, or you can put your flashlight away and fire, hoping that the muzzle flash will be enough to survive by for the encounter...

Everyone says that forcing you to make this decision is cheap; I thought it was brilliant and original. :?
Can I get a "Fuck yeah, bismuth!"? (bismuth picture in spoiler)

Spoiler:

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:25 am UTC

I didn't mind having to make the decision, because the muzzle flash worked fine for me once I'd spotted them with the flashlight.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:32 am UTC

I think one of the scariest I've played was Alpha Centauri (I don't play many scary games), but that's because I was a little kid. I have to say that those secret project cutscenes can be freaky, and the music isn't much better either.

I remember when I completed the Dream Twister secret project and the video with the silent scream and the skulls and burning person came on, I turned off my computer.

I still VIVIDLY remember that, it was nightmare fuel for me as a little kid.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Zealot

Re: Re:

Postby Zealot » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:36 am UTC

DirkDelDiablo wrote:Penumbra: Overture.

This was the exact game I was thinking of when I saw the thread title. The whole setting in the starting was eerie, and then when I first encountered one of the dogs I almost had to stop playing. The sounds they make, and the suspense from knowing that your death is coming close as you lay crouched behing a crate. That was just too much for me :P

Pa-Patch

Postby Pa-Patch » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:00 am UTC

Most RE4 didn't scare me much, but one part was probably one of the scariest (of the OH SHI- variety) ever in a game. The previously mentioned regenerators kinda creeped me out, especially the first encounter and when one with no legs just flopped up and bit me. I got pretty used to fighting them though, so it was mostly routine and not scary.

So later, when you jump down the trash chute, and when you walk away a spiked regenerator comes out, I just got some distance. Turned around quite confidently and took out my rifle/scoped in. Just about the pick off the first plagas when the dude shudders, and then suddenly the spikes SHOOT OUT AND IMPALE ME FROM ACROSS THE HALLWAY, DRAGGING ME TOWARDS HIM.

Roland Lockheart

Postby Roland Lockheart » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:28 am UTC

RE4 had only one moment that made me really jump. So there I am, standing by the edge of this lake (first play-through) and I see fish in the water. I think to my self: "Hey! Fish! I can sell those if I shoot them!" So what do I do? I fire a bunch of shots into the water AND A FUCKING ENORMOUS FISHSHARKWHALEZOMBIE LEAPS FROM THE WATER AND EATS ME!!! WTF!

I fell out of my chair at that point.
This is one thing up with which I shall not put!
-Winston Churchill

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:04 am UTC

Hahaha! i didn't know that happened if you shot at the lake from the shore! That's awesome.
It took me ages to kill that damn thing because I didn't really work out the whole shoot and steer the boat at the same time thing, so I kept getting knocked out.

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:38 am UTC

Avelion wrote:I'll also add another vote for Ravenholm. Another part of HL2 thats comes close is that damned elevator in episode 1. Pitch black basement filled with fast headcrabs and zombines with grenades. That place still haunts me when I think about it.

The first time you play those two things, they're scary as hell. Afterwards, it's like watching an action movie you've got memorized. When I played through HL2 and its episodes for xbox achievement points, I finished Ravenholm with only the gravity gun and Episode One without bullets -- No way I could have done that the first time I played 'em, but the elevator scene was surprisingly short* the second time around.

Most shooters can be scary if you have to play through a whole scene multiple times due to constant death. The first time I played Gears Of War (1), it was Hardcore-- and the second act, the nighttime one, scared the crap out of me. It just gave that stressful feeling where you can't play the same game for more than a half hour without passing out.

*That is, if you finish it without dying halfway through, over and over, for 45 minutes.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:59 am UTC

I found that with Bioshock, also. The scenes that build up to meeting the doctor, your first encounters with houdini splicers, plus a lot of general exploration stuff. I spent about a week's worth of solid play just getting up to Sander Cohen on first play through, but it took me about 5 hours or so to do it over again on second playthrough. Much less cautious and skittish, but not by abusing the vita chambers or anything.

Return to “Gaming”