Most Excellent Gaming Moments

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:EDIT:
Super Smash Bros Melee.
It was paused whilst someone had a hammer. One of my friends remarked "Hey, that's pretty good, I'll try to learn that--" turns, picks up guitar, stares at it for all of about two seconds -- and plays it perfectly first time.

It's not that difficult. Two measures, three notes in a major triad, and a fairly simple rhythm.

My SSBM moment is not that excellent, but something I'm still proud of. There was a tournament at my school, matches were best two out of three rounds on stock. I never lost a single round until after my third match, where I was thrashed handily by a Sheik player that went on to win the entire thing without losing once. From what I saw, I was the only player to get that far that ever used more than one character (Sheik, Marth, and Samus for me).

Invisible_Insane
Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Postby Invisible_Insane » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

Sheik players have a habit of thrashing people handily. Not as badly as Peach players, though. There's a guy in my group of friends (Smash brothers?) who plays Peach, and he's lost twice. And we've played God knows how many games.
God is to Microsoft as Human Nature is to Windows Vista.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

I prefer Ganondorf, he took a while to get used to, but after that I became badass.

Invisible_Insane

Postby Invisible_Insane » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:12 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:I prefer Ganondorf, because I enjoy being chain-thrown.

At least, that's what I thought I heard. I've played Sheik, Marth, Roy, and Dr. Mario. Primarily Sheik and Roy... I realize Roy can't really be played fo' serious, but setting opponents on fire is irresistible.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

Being chain-thrown was the arsiest part about playing him, which is why I also practised regularly as Marth. I like playing worse-off characters though, and still beating people with them.

Invisible_Insane

Postby Invisible_Insane » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

I learned very quickly not to write characters off just because they look like unnecessarily cute Eskimos. Nothing like getting grabbed for 20-30 damage. Damn Ice Climbers.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:If you can manage to draw enough cards in one turn, you're guaranteed to win, or else do something really nasty like Hand Limit 0 followed by Rules Reset which guarantees a huge advantage.

Yeah, I've sort of stopped playing Fluxx since I realized that the only strategy you need is to maximize the number of cards you see on your current turn. It's a little sad that a game such a refreshingly unique conceit can be so easily played with a simple little greedy algorithm.

The Loony Labs people are easily some of the most original US games makers at the moment. Though we never got the hang of playing Icehouse in a way that didn't suck, the idea of it is really cool. And a lot of its spinoffs seem really interesting, too. I'd really like to get some people to play Gnostica, especially.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:01 pm UTC

In terms of SSBM, I'm best with Sheik, Link, Dr. Mario, and to some extent, Ganondorf. I'm good with all the other characters except Jigglypuff.

Invisible_Insane

Postby Invisible_Insane » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:In terms of SSBM, I'm best with Sheik, Link, Dr. Mario, and to some extent, Ganondorf. I'm good with all the other characters except Jigglypuff.

Do you have any advice on how to defeat Peach? I have a problem of constantly crouch-canceling her downsmash, but even when I don't do that I still get destroyed pretty thoroughly.

I played this game way too much.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

I play Bowser, Yoshi, and Ness.
HOORAY FOR TRIANGLE JUMPING AND THE BOWSER TANK!

What?

I am not weird at all!

Do you have any advice on how to defeat Peach? I have a problem of constantly crouch-canceling her downsmash, but even when I don't do that I still get destroyed pretty thoroughly.

Stay away from walls.
And...
Don't catch the turnips, dodge them?

I have no idea, I've never seen your friend play.
Last edited by Marbas on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:36 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:32 pm UTC

Invisible_Insane wrote:
Rodan wrote:In terms of SSBM, I'm best with Sheik, Link, Dr. Mario, and to some extent, Ganondorf. I'm good with all the other characters except Jigglypuff.

no... sorry...

Banksy

Postby Banksy » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

I have so many awesome moments I'm gonna pick one I think stands out.

First: The back story- Me and my best friend have a running joke where whenever you're in co-op and you kill an enemy first, you say 'saved your life', even if your partner was nowhere near, or had already died, it's become a joke really.

So we were playing Gears Of War the very first time when it came out. I was Marcus, he was Dom, and we were on the final level, just killed Raam. In the final clip, Dom is on a helicopter and Marcus is on a train which continues to fall off a cliff. Just as it does so, Marcus jumps in slow motion, and grabs Dom's hand, and Dom pulls him onto the helicopter.

*Silence*

"Saved your life"
But if anyone were ever to discover the meaning of life, all of space and time would collapse in on itself, and in the place that remained a large sign would appear saying:

Level 2.

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

Oh, I should post an absolutely awesome gaming moment that happened to a friend of mine; He was at Dremhack last year and I was there as a visitor and we met, and he told me he'd been play World in Conflict at the Massive Entertainment booth where they had lots of computers running a beta or whatever and let people play some levels from the multiplayer. Anyway, my mate got into one of the tournaments and started building up his nuclear arsenal, playing it a bit passively up until most of the other playes are gone and the remaining guys are ganging up on him, whereupon he releases his nukes and blows them all to hell, and wins the game. He got two patches for his jacket as a prize, one for winning the tournament, and one for something like "Nuclear Combat Victory" or something like that, which he sold to some guy wearing a soviet military uniform cause he thought it'd be cool to have.

I was genuinely impressed.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

I always feel really cool when I flawlessly execute a move or KO in SSBM. It just makes me feel awesome.

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:11 pm UTC

My favorite gaming moments include defeating the 3 huge tentacles in HL and the first contact with the gravity gun in HL2.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:14 pm UTC

Gotta be watching my big brother beat Contra without the code to beat all codes, and then me spending most of the rest of the summer trying to duplicate it.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Twasbrillig
Tawsbirlig

Postby Twasbrillig » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:27 pm UTC

Back to SSBM, does anyone else play Falco on a regular basis? I find that he seems like a simple character at first, good for noob v noob, but now that I've gotten to know him, he rocks my socks off. His shield (down-B), if timed right, can decimate.
I want to have Bakemaster's babies. It's possible, with science.

I wonder if you can see...
...what is wrong with my signature?

wing wrote:I'm sorry... But that was THE funniest thing I've ever read on the interbutts.

Invisible_Insane

Postby Invisible_Insane » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:11 am UTC

Twasbrillig wrote:Back to SSBM, does anyone else play Falco on a regular basis? I find that he seems like a simple character at first, good for noob v noob, but now that I've gotten to know him, he rocks my socks off. His shield (down-B), if timed right, can decimate.

I tried it a couple of times. Nothing should be allowed to jump that high. Isn't he in the top tier?

Methinks we need an SSBM thread.

Dark Ragnarok

Postby Dark Ragnarok » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:24 am UTC

I have many in Halo, but they're not as funny to read than to actually see.
However in FEAR i once blew 2 soldiers both into blood vapor in one shotgun blast.

all in slowmo of course. ^_^;

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:30 am UTC

In Unreal Tournament 2003, I was playing a Bombing Run match on a demo server (BR-Anubis, 50 points/20 minutes). I managed to get 70 kills and only 4 deaths in the entire match.

Edit: Smash Bros. thread.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:00 am UTC

Interesting the number of Halo stories there are... Bungie have actually said that they intentionally wanted to make a game filled with these types of mini-stories. They felt that the first multiplayer auto-update made these ministories more interesting (i.e. "he charged at me with both guns blazing but I sidestepped and sliced him with the brute shot" is better than "he charged at me with both guns blazing and I shot back at him with both guns but died because he started shooting first")

Phi
Has Proportional Boobs (As rumor has it)

Postby Phi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:32 am UTC

I don't know what Halo stories you guys are talking about (ok, I have my fair share of laser sword battle stories), but every single multiplayer match in Golden Eye for 64 was purely amazing. It's even better when you have friends that have some "interesting" commentary.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:54 am UTC

I'm still waiting for the NZ release of Paper Mario, Super Smash Brawl and Pokemon Colloseum, so my friend can buy them ><, I will probably buy him one, coz I'm nice.
=]

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:57 am UTC

Playing Dead or Alive for the first time.
more specifically, watching a friend get pummeled by the final boss in DoA 4 for about fifteen minutes, then saying i'll have a go. i win, taking barely any damage, through pure button-bashing. first time.
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

Phi wrote:I don't know what Halo stories you guys are talking about (ok, I have my fair share of laser sword battle stories), but every single multiplayer match in Golden Eye for 64 was purely amazing. It's even better when you have friends that have some "interesting" commentary.

Best moment evar? Every single time my competitor dies from one of my well-laid proximity mines at the Complex. While I laugh maniacally. Or, the couple occasions where he died from a prox mine, spawned right next to one, died, then spawned right next to another one.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:22 pm UTC

The time when I was really young, and beat the arcade version of Soul Caliber 1 with a single quarter.

2DMan

Postby 2DMan » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

I have many, but the one that leaps to mind is that one time everything finally connected up in Tekken Tag Tournament. Y'know how it is with beat-em-ups, it's clear that if you were good it could look awesome, but somehow it always seems to reduce to button mashing. I always tried to do things properly, and got button mashed into the ground. But just once, I was playing as Law and my opponent does that annoying spinny low-medium-high kick, and I'm right up and too close to back away. I hop the first one, duck the second one, backflip just barely clear of the third, then hammer forwards into a blow which smashes him across the screen. Pause for bow.

Oh, another would probably be being the last man standing in a Counter-Strike game on my team, while all the enemy are alive. AND they've planted the bomb. I killed every single one of them single-handedly, then disarmed the bomb with a defusal kit I'd taken from the corpse of a friend. I even got praise from the server admin, after that little run. Fun times... pity about the generally bad nature of the CS population, but that's the way of things.
2DMan - Master of Calm
Also known as 'TwoDaemon' on the IRC, with thanks to LE4dGOLEM.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:01 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:
Phi wrote:I don't know what Halo stories you guys are talking about (ok, I have my fair share of laser sword battle stories), but every single multiplayer match in Golden Eye for 64 was purely amazing. It's even better when you have friends that have some "interesting" commentary.

Best moment evar? Every single time my competitor dies from one of my well-laid proximity mines at the Complex. While I laugh maniacally. Or, the couple occasions where he died from a prox mine, spawned right next to one, died, then spawned right next to another one.

That is always hilarious, simply because it happened so regularly with my friends. I always holed myself in the area with proximity mines and windows, while another of my friends got the other mines in the pit with the two bridges. Our other two friends were forced to run around with guns and when they inevitably died, they'd usually die at least another two times consecutively (License to Kill and spawn camping with proxy mines!) before they had a chance to do anything.

Another great time is remote mines in the Stacks. There's nothing better than making a remote mine you just threw at someone instantly blow up in their face (A+B detonates without having to switch weapons). One running joke we had was to use a Klobb and call ourselves the Klobb Special Forces (the Soviet Special Forces character was the most popular because he blended in nearly everywhere).

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:21 pm UTC

The Klobb is probably the single most useless automatic weapon in the history of video games.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:In Unreal Tournament 2003, I was playing a Bombing Run match on a demo server (BR-Anubis, 50 points/20 minutes). I managed to get 70 kills and only 4 deaths in the entire match.

In UT2004, playing Onslaught on Dawn (I think it was called. It's the really big map with five nodes), I was hiding in the little castle thing when a guy in a Leviathan pulled up on the opposite team. He got out to tag the node, and I stole the Leviathan and ran him over. It was pretty hard to pull off, but it was funny as hell.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

getting a melee weapon kill in FPS of choice is always sweet
in ur beanz makin u eveel

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:28 pm UTC

Oooh that reminds me. Sticking someone with a nade in Gears of War is pretty awesome. For those that don't know what those look like, i present:

http://playinggowtoday.com/weapons/gear ... enades.jpg

(just a link cause its a huge pic. its the nade in the middle.)

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

semicolon wrote:
Durinthal wrote:In Unreal Tournament 2003, I was playing a Bombing Run match on a demo server (BR-Anubis, 50 points/20 minutes). I managed to get 70 kills and only 4 deaths in the entire match.

In UT2004, playing Onslaught on Dawn (I think it was called. It's the really big map with five nodes), I was hiding in the little castle thing when a guy in a Leviathan pulled up on the opposite team. He got out to tag the node, and I stole the Leviathan and ran him over. It was pretty hard to pull off, but it was funny as hell.

Dawn doesn't have a Leviathan, so I'm betting on Severance (Red Planet is the other one with a Leviathan, but there's no castle-like areas).

Excellence: I was in a clan that did Bombing Run in UT2003 and Onslaught in UT2004. In a couple of the league games we played we won on the Primeval map in about 3 minutes.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:57 pm UTC

Durinthal wrote:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:EDIT:
Super Smash Bros Melee.
It was paused whilst someone had a hammer. One of my friends remarked "Hey, that's pretty good, I'll try to learn that--" turns, picks up guitar, stares at it for all of about two seconds -- and plays it perfectly first time.

It's not that difficult. Two measures, three notes in a major triad, and a fairly simple rhythm.

But to just pick it up and play it?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:01 pm UTC

saxmaniac1987 wrote:The Klobb is probably the single most useless automatic weapon in the history of video games.

It's Klobbering time?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:30 pm UTC

I vote every single moment I played my Gamecube.

One of the heights of gaming, right there. When it was good, it was damn good.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:It's Klobbering time?

Getting a bit *stab*by in here, or is it just you?
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

pete

Postby pete » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

I played Quake3 religiously from 97 until mid 2002, and never considered myself anything more than average. I won maybe 20% of my duels in the last year I played online, although I didn't get raped that badly.

When I moved to a new town I saw an ad for a small q3 tourney at a local internet cafe and decided to sign up. I was pretty nervous: not having played for a year, never having taken part in a q3 competition, and not knowing anyone there. A lot of trash talking was going on (about 50 people showed up).

First game (pro-q3dm6): Pillar spawn (worst possible spawn on the map). "Fuck! This is going to be tough". Grab the shotgun and haul ass for the mega. No opponent in sight. "Ah, sneaky one", I think. After about five minutes I finally concede he must be a noob. Final score (15 min): 56:-4

All of my matches up to the semi's were >50 frag victories, with only the semi's and the finals being more interesting. The finals were actually quite tense (the guy had killer accuracy and good movement, but not much strat). 15:12 and 13:5 (dm6, dm13).

Walked out with a Ge-Force ti-4600 for the effort. Not that great, even at the time, but the only income I've ever made from gaming.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:52 pm UTC

you must now put professional gamer on your CV always. NOW!
in ur beanz makin u eveel

OCR

Postby OCR » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

being a pro gamer doesn't get you the chicks that fatal1ty's mtv special made you think it did. I might put it on my resume for shits and giggles though.

it does get you free hardware and perhaps a plane ticket + hotel room for CPL's though.
"Well if you excuse me I'm going to go on an overnight drunk and in 10 days I'm going set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it."

Return to “Gaming”