Sim City

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ArgonV

Re: Sim City

Postby ArgonV » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
I find that logging into your city, putting it on max speed, and then coming back hours laters gives you the kind of cash to tailor your city to your loking.

I'd do that with a low density city with proper fire coverage and no congestion, or else your entire would burn to the ground. And maybe placing one or two mines/drills and depots would help as well

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 pm UTC

Wait, so if two cities in the same region are exchanging resources regularly, and one's running at max speed and the other at minimum speed, how does that work? Does the fast city end up starved of the slow city's resource? The slow city drained of its resource? Both cities happily trading at their individual rates, with the packets just getting lost as soon as they leave town? And what happens when one city increases its supply/demand?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:Wait, so if two cities in the same region are exchanging resources regularly, and one's running at max speed and the other at minimum speed, how does that work?

It's been a while since I studied SimPhysics, but I think any supplies sent between the two cities experience Lorentz contraction.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

I'm not 100% sure on resources, but it appears to be similar to as if those buildings are running remotely at the same speed your city is. So each day you will get an equivalent of a days recycling from the other city if sharing recycle trucks (and if they can reach the whole city?).

For static-ish resources like power/water/sewage the totals are updated every time the source city syncs. So if they added 50kgal source since the last tick that should be available in the region (and similarly, if they started using more of their own). Time is mostly irrelevant to those.

Payments happen at the rate of the active city, so I'll pay for power/services hourly/daily even if the other city isn't running. There isn't a buildup of payments so they won't receive a bulk payment on the other end, just the same hourly/daily amount at their own speed.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

It's funny looking at the comments people placed on youtube. The new logic on traffic works fine.
1) Dirt road to stadium (call path A) = congestion
2) less optimal but full lane street was in place (Path b)... My guess is they employed 'fuzzy' logic with most agents still using the most direct path, but now at least a certain percentage of agents takes the less optimal, but wider path.
3) A 'very close' to optimal and wider road was placed beside the dirt road (Path C)... now almost everyone chooses the new patch, with no one choosing the dirt road (Path A) and some chooses the less optimal path. (Path B)

As long as there's a system in place to solve the Thunder-herding problem, people can recalibrate it as they please. Of course there's still logic problem (assume it works the way I've stated), Mainly if it is all based on road type, or does it actually recognize congestion... also if Path A is not full, would the system still require people to take Path B?

Also this is an easily forseeable problem and the solution isn't so hard to come up with... wonder why this issue wasn't resolved before the game was out... It looks like they didn't do a lot of in house testing and just relies on the public beta.

Now I hope Maxis works on the recycling problem. I've done more tinkering and concluded that there must be a certain set of condition for the recycling center to send out their trucks and collect.. and for whatever reason it's not working properly. My sims are all educated and there are a lot of recyclables in the city. I've also tried sending recycling trucks to my cithy2... doesn't work either.

(Detail of the problem: It looks like all my sims are going out of the city to be educated, or are using the University... Either University education doesn't properly trigger the recycling effect, or sims being educated outside of the city doesn't count on recycling, or sims aren't really getting education from outside of city at all)

Ixtellor: I have created an xkcd region in NAE 3, but it's been empty so far... no problems on connecting to server so I spent all my time on Server 1 NAE.

Coin wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:I find that logging into your city, putting it on max speed, and then coming back hours laters gives you the kind of cash to tailor your city to your loking.

Just like in good old Sim City 2000 then =)
I remember doing that a lot when I wanted to construct all the arcologies.

I did that once before I went to bed. I woke up... my city's bankrupt, buildings abandoned.. roads in complete disarray... It's like I've traveled into the future and witness the end of humanity or something.

phlip wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:Wait, so if two cities in the same region are exchanging resources regularly, and one's running at max speed and the other at minimum speed, how does that work?

It's been a while since I studied SimPhysics, but I think any supplies sent between the two cities experience Lorentz contraction.

I've been constantly passing plastics and alloy from city 2 to city 1, so I can tell you that All agents moves at the same speed regardless of game speed. Also the agent exit out of city, travelled into region highway... and gets stuck there until you cancel, or until you log onto City 1.

From the receiver perspective.. trucks delivery goods from City 2 to City 1.. then left the city.. and then come back afterwards if there's any more goods to be delivered. (Each truck can only carry 10 tons of raw materials, or 1000 plastics.)

I've decided that City 1 will be high wealth... and that got me running in the red (mostly due to losing Low residential income taxes from the fluff population) My pop count is 96k, but realistically it's about less then 10k pop, 40% mid wealth, 30% low, and 30% High wealth. Besides reducing your tax income and stop people from complaining about the lack or workers, it really doesn't do anything.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

Reading all the complaints makes my feel better about being so busy when the game came out.

Nylonathatep invited me to slightly worse, but the game seemed to lose my invitation half way through. I haven't been invited to the main city yet.

I've made two cities in my own private region, in my first I tried to put ALL of the services. It's budget is terrible. I plan to learn by making mistakes.

Looking at the discussion here I'm finding ways to fix the issues more interesting than the game itself.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:
I find that logging into your city, putting it on max speed, and then coming back hours laters gives you the kind of cash to tailor your city to your loking.

I'd do that with a low density city with proper fire coverage and no congestion, or else your entire would burn to the ground. And maybe placing one or two mines/drills and depots would help as well

Yea I have had no problems with it. Fire coverage is a must though.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:09 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:Now I hope Maxis works on the recycling problem. I've done more tinkering and concluded that there must be a certain set of condition for the recycling center to send out their trucks and collect.. and for whatever reason it's not working properly. My sims are all educated and there are a lot of recyclables in the city. I've also tried sending recycling trucks to my cithy2... doesn't work either.
Are your houses generating recycling? If so then it's probably the plant that's bugged. If the storage is full it won't collect anymore, and sometimes the production stalls permanently (you have to rebuild it, or turn all of them off then build/rebuild a new one if you have multiple).

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:Are your houses generating recycling? If so then it's probably the plant that's bugged. If the storage is full it won't collect anymore, and sometimes the production stalls permanently (you have to rebuild it, or turn all of them off then build/rebuild a new one if you have multiple).

Recycling works once... I bulldoze the plant to move it to a new location... and the it stops working... in the trash overlay I have lots and green bars, 80% of my buildings are deep green/medium green in the education overlay. I currently have trucks from city 2 picking up my recycling and they are making the green bar disappear.

I've rebuild the recycling plant many times. each time there's zero storage.. and the error message on the plant saying there's no recyclable to be collected.

The current work-around seems fine... (having trucks in city 2 pick up and recyle, and then send me plastic and alloy back to city 1) .. if not a bit annoying having to switch between cities from time to time.
Last edited by Nylonathatep on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Koa

Postby Koa » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:Also this is an easily forseeable problem and the solution isn't so hard to come up with... wonder why this issue wasn't resolved before the game was out... It looks like they didn't do a lot of in house testing and just relies on the public beta.

EA's fiscal year ends on March 31st. It would be likely that EA felt that the game was ready enough and rushed it out over the past few months in order to fluff their earnings reports. It wouldn't be enough time to even attempt to make large fundamental changes, let alone a mature QA process.
Last edited by Koa on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 pm UTC

Finally figured out how to solve the Not Recycling Bug.

http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/ ... orkaround/

After a bit of messing around, I think the issue is that once all your recycling centers max out on recyclable materials, a bug in the game makes them stop processing any of it. So they stay locked in that state, and the trucks don't run because they'd have nowhere to put any more collected materials. But if you build another center (you don't need to demolish an existing one unless you need the space), they'll start working again.

Basically there's a bug where it caused the logical to go into -1. In order to fix the problem you need to make two recycling plant and brings it back to +1.

Also Planting Trees absorb your pollution... but the trees keeps dying thou :(

You can keep extending your parks by bridging them... just click the park and go into the upgrade tab.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

I sent out mass invites to everyone for the XKCD #2 region on North America East #1 server.

I have been playing with a smelting city where I have 8 coal and 8 ore factories pumping materials into 3 fully upgraded smelting factories. Making 1.8million per day, but City is spending -35K/hour. I have very little space zoned residential and still have well over 100k citizens --- even though I don't really want them. And now I have a university with 4 dorms, to educate my lowly pleebs so the bastards will start recycling. (need plastics)

Two times now I have ruined cities with populations over 100K. In the previous city I had to close down every building and raise taxes to 20% just to survive.

Traffic, Traffic, Traffic. The root of all evil. If you want big populations you must solve traffic issues.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 pm UTC

One of the free games available for early purchasing is SimCity 4. In case you didn't think EA had a sense of humor.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Traffic, Traffic, Traffic. The root of all evil. If you want big populations you must solve traffic issues.
It's interesting how much the SimCity games all share this attribute. I haven't played 5, but my experience is that traffic is perhaps the hardest thing to deal well with in the earlier games too. (It's also true in SimTower if you think "elevators" instead of "roads", complicated by the fact that there are a limited number of elevators you can put in a building.)

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I sent out mass invites to everyone for the XKCD #2 region on North America East #1 server.

I have been playing with a smelting city where I have 8 coal and 8 ore factories pumping materials into 3 fully upgraded smelting factories. Making 1.8million per day, but City is spending -35K/hour. I have very little space zoned residential and still have well over 100k citizens --- even though I don't really want them. And now I have a university with 4 dorms, to educate my lowly pleebs so the bastards will start recycling. (need plastics)

Two times now I have ruined cities with populations over 100K. In the previous city I had to close down every building and raise taxes to 20% just to survive.

Traffic, Traffic, Traffic. The root of all evil. If you want big populations you must solve traffic issues.

Eveuntually the natural resources will run out. It's best that you start making processors, especially since I've unlocked the Consumer Electronics Factory as well as the supply depot to store TV and Computers last night.

Plastics makes $16,000 per 10 ton, raw ore makes $48,000 per 10 ton, processors is $67000 per 1000... but computers are 167000, per units and TV is 197000 per unit. So As long as you are making TV and Computers, you can support your dream city even if you are running a deficit. (The input/output ratio isn't one to one thou i.e. One plastic and One alloy doesn't make one processor.)

Getting the upgrade to make the Electronics Factory is a bitch thou. You need to have 1,500,000 daily profit from processors. The problem is not making enough of them (You can just store enough processors, and then start selling them all at the stroke of midnight, you need to sell 23 crates of processors to reached the 1,500,000 mark.) Once you set the depot to export... they'll spawn a truck at the highway just outside of your city, and as long as it can reach the depot, it can pickup that unit of export and that unit is considered sold. The problem is you need to have very smooth traffic so the truck can pickup the goods, leave the city, and come back enough times to pick up 23 crates of processors in one day.

To explain the problem, I'll need to explain the layout of the region. I claimed 3 cities in the region. Racoon city, Amityville, and Castle Rock. Racoon city is my industrial city.. with only 28k population, a train connection to Castle Rock and one of Ixtellor's city.

Castle Rock is my newest city that I've experiment with: I saw somewhere that a guy made a 280k population city with nothing but low value parks, basic stuff utilities, and residencial zones. He is profitable and has an approval rating of 92%. Ofcourse when I tried doing the same thing it doesn't work :( I got about 200k pop, loads of traffic problems, as well as crime and fire problems because the cops can't patrol the streets when there's a traffic jam!!!

My biggest Mistake is to have my processors production at Amityville. It's suppose to have rail connection.. but the rail just goes off the map and doesn't connect to any of the other cities. The only way to get into Amityville is via the Highway... and I have traffic backed up all the way backed up to the entrance for Castle Rock. Obviously with all that traffic going into the city, I won't be able to delivery enough crates of processors.

My solution: I killed Castle Rock... Cut off all services, rack up taxes to 12% and watch the money roll in. The resulting Fire and a Meteor shower did the town in. It now has 500k cash in the bank and zero population. I logged back into Amityville and wait till the traffic clears. Visitors dropped from 10k to about 7k and Traffic to and from Castle Rock dramatically reduced (The game still generates 'fluff' traffic, despite the fact that the Highway in that direction connects to nothing.)

Still it was a pretty close call and I made the 1,500,000 mark right around 11:48pm. (Very close call. Each depot generates one truck... so having more storage depot helps.) The biggest annoyance is that the trucks switched shipment midway... before it came from Castle Rock... but then suddenly it came and depart to Racoon City instead, and Traffic picks up to and from Racoon City instead... still not as much of a pileup as before.

The game generates traffic in/out of cities by generating Agents via stuff that happens in the city (4 construction trucks per new residences in the city... as soon as one reached its destination the other turns to "just passing through". It generates 1 car per worker/shoppers/tourist that's not taking the regional bus.

Also the Highway Onramp have only 4 lanes... one lane going in from the left, one lane going out to the left, one lane going in from the right, and one lane going out to the right. That is one of the major reason for all the traffic holdup going in and out of the city.

I partially solved the highway onramp problem by having 3 roads connecting to the onramp instead. Two roads running along the border and one in the middle. Traffic going into city will be backed up irregardless. Traffic is the root of all your City's issues. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Inner city traffic can be solved thou... I've been experimenting with bus stops having them placed in a loop just like street car tracks with bus stops on both side of the road. It doesn't work thou. All it does is that people are taking to bus, it makes a U turn, and drop people off on the other side of the road ... apparently people rather take the bus then walk across the street. :( It seems my old system of just placing bus stops on one side of the street only at all major intersection works better.. but I'm not exactly sure.

Now I can actually process TVs, I can completely the Acropolis just to see how it looks, and then call it for Sim city 5 for a while. I've seen city with 2 mill population but I don't think it's doable in region play (each day, Sim City 5 will generate a certain amount of population to fill the city's zones... so a city like that can exist.. but only in isolation because that'll be traffic problems when people tries to leave. They can fulfil their satisfaction by visiting parks instead.) Cities like that, while impressive, isn't really realistic. I might come back and do a tourist town or something obscure.

From my experience, you don't need university to start recycling. My city starts recycling by using high school. Even then, a community college serves the same education level as University. University is only there if you want to research tech.

Also... Dorms are there just to fluff the enrolment so you can upgrade your University... but since you are at it, can you make the medical school addon next? It's the only thing I'm lacking. (Xkcd #2 have everything researched except medical lab: You should be able to build clean coal plant, clean oil plant, have access to all great works, etc, detective addon... etc.)

I think I finally understand what Sim City 5 is all about: It's a game, and not a simulation. You could potentially have a city with only one type of zone. Where as in the previous city the three type of zones drives demand and support each other. Sims will go outside of the city to meet their demands (jobs, shopping, etc.)

P.S. the Trade HQ and the Manufacturing HQ takes up so much room :( I think eventually I'll turn Castle Rock into my Manufacturing town and Amityville into my support town. It'll just provide whatever buildings the region needs.)

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:31 pm UTC

There are a couple youtube videos that demonstrate how to solve traffic issues.

1) put your industry near the highway ramps.
2) discourgage commuters
3) No 4 way stops, only T's and L shapped roads.
4) Either put Residential between C and I or, just mix the C and R.

Some guy made a 400K city with no public transportation using the above system and huge income.

Also, people have created 500K + cities using nothing but residential, although this is believed to be a broken game mechanic, people are demanding that I and C be useful.

Yes I am working on processors next, and dropped my recylcing plant for plastic, but nobody is reclying yet... might have to import the plastic.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 pm UTC

Traffic fix is in. Still not perfect, but Sims now attempt to avoid massive congestion if they have an alternate route.

Woo. :mrgreen:

This probably means I should redesign some of my road systems to include alternate routes. Or just join the new XKCD region and worry about it there.
Ixtellor wrote:Also, people have created 500K + cities using nothing but residential, although this is believed to be a broken game mechanic, people are demanding that I and C be useful.
I'm inclined to agree at least partially with them. It should probably be twerked to make people much harder to please without jobs or shopping in the region.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:This probably means I should redesign some of my road systems to include alternate routes. Or just join the new XKCD region and worry about it there.
Ixtellor wrote:Also, people have created 500K + cities using nothing but residential, although this is believed to be a broken game mechanic, people are demanding that I and C be useful.
I'm inclined to agree at least partially with them. It should probably be twerked to make people much harder to please without jobs or shopping in the region.

I concur, you should need to provide jobs... although I think it should be region wide.

Yes... PLEASE join the region. I only bought this game for the multiplayer and I am desperate to be in a large region.

Although Nylon has basically unlocked everything in the current XKCD #2 region.
I have a heavy industrial city there, working up to processors, an experimental city with no industry, and my original city which is severly broken and going bankrupt quickly due to an AFK earthquake incident that demolished my Fire HQ thus letting most of the city BURN.

Also, I DL'ed my free game yesterday ---- Need for Speed (my first ever driving game) --- I think I need to invest in a steering wheel as the computer controls are clumsy.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:The problem is not making enough of them (You can just store enough processors, and then start selling them all at the stroke of midnight, you need to sell 23 crates of processors to reached the 1,500,000 mark.) Once you set the depot to export... they'll spawn a truck at the highway just outside of your city, and as long as it can reach the depot, it can pickup that unit of export and that unit is considered sold. The problem is you need to have very smooth traffic so the truck can pickup the goods, leave the city, and come back enough times to pick up 23 crates of processors in one day.

No, the problem is hoping a meteor shower doesn't wipe out your trading dock 2 hours before the day starts so you can unload all your processors. I'm not bitter.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

So Xkcd #2 has completed the Great Work: Arcology last night.

I'll say I usually build things in Sim City 5 just to see how it works and how it'll affect my city. (University, HQ, Mining, Airport, restructuring roads around, etc) Most often then not, Everything turn out the worse: While University does your research... it takes up a lot of room and cause a lot of traffic... Mining produce a lot of pollution and eveuntually it'll run out... Airport/Seaport does nothing (mostly because no one else builds an airport... so no connection.)

Arcology end up being the worst thing you can ever build 10x over.

First, because of how city are connected to servers, the progress of input for building the great works can differ. I jump to one city and it said I already have 60k TV sets, all the Iron it needs and all it needs is the alloy. I go to the next city and it says I have all the alloys, but still half way in iron and hardly any TV. HOWEVER once one of your city says it has all the input... it'll go to phase two... which is just sending workers to the site, and then once its up... you'll need to provide electricity and water to the great work... (about 300 watts and 100 gal of water) It also takes about 5 minutes for the server to register that you are providing enough water and electrity to finally get it going.

The Arcology has 10 level of density.. from 70k to 125k (???) Here's where the problem begins.

Your city will be flooded with workers trying to into your city looking for jobs. There will be also some tourist, students, and shoppers as well.. (3000 each at max level, distributed amongst the cities connected to the great work)

1) It means traffic problem... everything is so backed up going into the city that I can't sell anymore TV to make a profit anymore, the delivery trucks just can't get in thru all that traffic. (I could turn the factories off and on to save cost, but it's tedious.)

My train station finally works thou... because its somehow connected to the great work... so 10k workers rides the train. still 23k of cars going into the city.

2) I have 33k mid wealth worker floodding into the city.. and since all my commerical zones are near the enterance, they took all the jobs available. I have about 16k mid wealth pop in my city unemployed. On that note I have about 8k high wealth in my city, and my other city right beside needs just 8k of high wealth workers... but nope... they don't like commuting. I could try building an airport for both cities but at that point it becomes too weird.

3) You can't turn off the Arcology. I guess you can try cutting water and power towards it. hmmm....

I guess you could build an Arcology if you want to build an industrial town with no sims living in it whatsoever....

Amnesiasoft: I feel you dude... when I was very close to getting enough alloy, one disaster strikes after another. A lizard spawns just right at the edge of the map... and cuts right through my nuclear power plant. There was no mushroom cloud, but 1/3 of my city is now radioactive. From what I've heard it takes 15 in game real hours for the radioactivity to go away.

Then zombie happened, and then another lizard spawns and kills my recycling center. *facepalm*

I think this will be it for me for now when it comes to Sim City 5. I could work around some problems within my city, but there's currently no way to solve the traffic problem at the onramp at the Highway. I don't think that degree of faking difficulity for the game is fair, especially when there's no way in game to migrate the problem. As soon as you hit ~40k population, the game will just fluff visitors going into the city.. double screw if your city doesn't have a railway connection.

I'm also disappointed that despite having unemployment... most sims don't commute outside of city to find work... but meanwhile sims flood inside your city and took all your job. That to me is both unrealistic and unfair. I don't think the developers really actually play-tested their game and try to balance it.

BTW I got Mass Effect 3 as my free game. My Co-workers were shocked that I've never played any Mass Effect in my life.

P.S. Arcology also seems reduces housing demand around the region as well.
Last edited by Nylonathatep on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:BTW I got Mass Effect 3 as my free game. My Co-workers were shocked that I've never played any Mass Effect in my life.
Personally I'd very strongly recommend grabbing the other two off of Steam or something and going through them before you play 3; if you wait until a Steam holiday sale, you'll probably be able to pick them up for cheap.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:34 pm UTC

Still haven't gotten any region invites that didn't error out.

So does everyone else feel they planned a much more impressive game, and fell short during production? Here's what I'd like to imagine got cut:

Good service/emergency vehicle algorithms, such as fighting two fires at once, school buses having a daily route.

Selling police, fire, ambulance, garbage coverage to neighbors.

Cities right next to each other: as in at your city border, you see your neighbor's city. Any road touching the border is a potential exchange point.

Curvable city buildings. Manually placed buildings have an area requirement and very loose shape requirements.

Allowing friends to edit your city.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:32 pm UTC

1) If your not getting invites, go to the region where we play and try to join a game. On that page there is usually a friends button, and if you click it, you will see all the regions your friends play in. Then you should be able to join an unused city because even though, your not receiving your invites, you should all have permission to play in every region I have created.

2) I ordered a $100 steering wheel this morning. Need for Speed!!!!! PC controls are garbage since you can't just do a '10% degree turn' and hold it, you can only tap the keys for erradict turning or do a maximum turn.

3) Simcity is still addictive once you start, but I kind of lost the desire to log in until region invites get set.

I think it might actually be more enjoyable creating 'beautiful' cities instead of trying to be rich or huge.

4) MaxisMan is a jerk, don't build him a house.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

EA CEO Steps Down, Citing Financial Results. But Is SimCity the Real Issue?

The blame really can't fall on one guy alone, but the tallest grass usuallys gets chop down first. On the other hand, you really screwed up if you are handed down one of the most popular franchise series in the gaming industry and then have events unfold just like it did.

At the lowest level, Sim City 5 is a very very beautiful game. It's the execution that falls apart... things don't coordinate together as you get deeper and deeper into the game. It's not possible/realistic for 30k+ agents to keep going into the city looking for work each day when the city itself doesn't have 30k+ jobs available. The game doesn't seek to balance itself that way either.

Good service/emergency vehicle algorithms, such as fighting two fires at once, school buses having a daily route.

Selling police, fire, ambulance, garbage coverage to neighbors.

It's an example of developer's lazyness/lack of thought/lack of developement time in the project: They use the same algrothium as any path finding agent in the game... but they don't realized the problem when there's 5+ agents going to the same source... or what happens when there's mulitple problems and they need to sent agents to two different sites... or what happens when emergency service gets stuck in traffic.

School bus stop and bus stops sorta work as a node to gather all students to go to school (it doesn't matter what school they go to... or how long they stay. If you have uneducated students in your city... chances are they are stuck in schoolbus/traffic but can't get to school before it closed at 6 pm.

It works.. but ideally, manual mapping the school-bus/commute bus path would have been much better (sorta like how street car works) and also adds another layer of depth to gameplay.

Allowing friends to edit your city.

Bad idea :) I'll just bulldoze all your city :) :twisted:

2) I ordered a $100 steering wheel this morning. Need for Speed!!!!! PC controls are garbage since you can't just do a '10% degree turn' and hold it, you can only tap the keys for erradict turning or do a maximum turn.

You have too much money my friend :)

4) MaxisMan is a jerk, don't build him a house.

$900/hr and you actually have to pay him money to do stuff... sounds like some company I know.... At least Batman does it all for free ! I just built him and then turn him off, but occassionally he is quite handy at fighing fires.

Dr VU is OP thou... increase your city's industry tech level ... ship your freight, AND brings tourist? Plodding him is a great way to jumpstart your city. Just don't do any of his quest.

I think the major problem of EA is that they don't want to impliment most of those solutions... and instead just tries to make the game harder and more unplayable. Half of all the citys in Sim City 5 would be solved if traffic isn't a problem... nevermind that even at the current state... a lot of cities are making huge money just by exporting TV and computers.

Sim City 5 needs a lot of rebalancing... from how traffic works, population density/fluff population/ to the basic mechanics of how Sims gets into the city in the first place.... you have 30k workers going into a city with only 10k jobs everyday.... that's unrealistic and unsubstainable in the long run... somewhere you need a modifer to regulate supply/demand in a region and how much of that should go into any particular city.

Personally I'd very strongly recommend grabbing the other two off of Steam or something and going through them before you play 3; if you wait until a Steam holiday sale, you'll probably be able to pick them up for cheap.

You are the second person to recommend me doing that. I think I'll do that after my exams... that'll take place probably after I'm done with Starcraft 2: HOTS, Some more Sim City 5(If it reached the point where it's playable again), getting myself sick of Planetside 2, and maybe a City of Heros privite server run.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:School bus stop and bus stops sorta work as a node to gather all students to go to school (it doesn't matter what school they go to... or how long they stay. If you have uneducated students in your city... chances are they are stuck in schoolbus/traffic but can't get to school before it closed at 6 pm.

It works.. but ideally, manual mapping the school-bus/commute bus path would have been much better (sorta like how street car works) and also adds another layer of depth to gameplay.
I understand how it work, it's just a couple of the simplifications grate on me. For example: I have one residential district much further out than all of the others, I actually watched buses start heading for the far off district only to turn around the first 3-4 times to pick up children from stops they already visited.
Nylonathatep wrote:Bad idea :) I'll just bulldoze all your city :) :twisted:
There would probably some kind of invite system. However the goal of the shared editing would be that it'd effectively be our city. Maybe you get drunk and bulldoze your cities Katamari Damenci style, in which case I might rethink me choice of friends :wink: .
Nylonathatep wrote:....fluff population...
To me the whole fluff population thing reeks of them expecting players to freak out about the change in scale from previous games. In the game they were trying to make you build a city district and work with your neighbors to make a city.

Negated

Postby Negated » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:26 am UTC

Just got the game. Can someone send me an invite to the XKCD game?

ID: Abyssight

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:EA CEO Steps Down, Citing Financial Results. But Is SimCity the Real Issue?

The blame really can't fall on one guy alone, but the tallest grass usuallys gets chop down first. On the other hand, you really screwed up if you are handed down one of the most popular franchise series in the gaming industry and then have events unfold just like it did.

The firing of major executives is never related to a single game. Remember who the boss of a CEO is: the Board of Directors and the Shareholders. The primary motivation of shareholders is to either see dividends on their stock, or a rising stock price. (ie: if the company makes money, distribute that money out to the shareholders. If the company isn't making money, at least make the stock price go up).

John Riccitiello has failed at that in the past 6 years.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=EA+Gam ... a=N&tab=we

John Riccitiello became the CEO in 2007. Then EA's stock took a nosedive, losing half its value. Poor earnings continued, and EA's stock has yet to recover. Shareholders probably don't care about individual games. Its the CEO's job to try and raise stock prices on behalf of shareholders. If he fails to do that, then shareholders will elect a new CEO.

For at least 4 years in a row, EA has lost money as a company, with a negative profit margin.
https://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ ... JeWL0QG8Ig

After 6 years, you'd expect that the CEO would be able to turn things around.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:59 pm UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:Then EA's stock took a nosedive, losing half its value.
To be fair, this was during the general market crash. That it's been flat since there is the more serious issue.

KnightExemplar wrote:After 6 years, you'd expect that the CEO would be able to turn things around.
It's not clear to me that EA is the right size to thrive in the gaming industry. It's huge, and seems to operate on the model of "make a game impressive enough to sell lots of first-day copies, but without serious staying power." That works for sports games, but not much else.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 pm UTC

Negated wrote:Just got the game. Can someone send me an invite to the XKCD game?

ID: Abyssight

The XKCD region is kind of broken due to so many bugs in the opening.

And only 2 people got invites to the #2 region.

I think if we start a new region, it might work now, but the game doesn't seem to be able to fix old broken regions.

I will start a new region soon and send an invite to every one. (I am thinking North America East 2).

Also, it might be more enjoyable if we have a theme/goal. Most polluted?
Most beautiful? Best recreation of ______ city?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:1) If your not getting invites, go to the region where we play and try to join a game. On that page there is usually a friends button, and if you click it, you will see all the regions your friends play in. Then you should be able to join an unused city because even though, your not receiving your invites, you should all have permission to play in every region I have created..
I might be doing something stupid, but that's not working for me. The only region I see for you is "dude where's my region" and one for Nylon. Neither will let me claim a city. Hopefully the new region won't be buggy.

I tried to make sine wave roads with circle segments, did not work. Going to try it with arc next, but I'm not hopeful The existing curved road tools are an improvement over old games, but I'd like the same abilities MS paint gives me to draw a line. I'd also love the ability to pencil in roads and avenues and only actually build them when I have the money.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 pm UTC

I started a new region and I think I learned something.

I don't think you can invite someone to a region on a server, unless they have played in that region before.
So I went to some other servers, and could only invite 1-3 of you.

So, I created a Region in North American East 1.

The Region is Called XKCD #3 -- and I sent an invite to everyone.

(I sent a friend request to Abyssight -- and until you accept, I can not invite you)

Let me know how it works out. I took the worst location for a city, as my goal is not going to size, but image.

Please join, even if you dont want to to work on your city. I really just want to see if it is even possible for us all to be in the same region. If you don't recive the invite on the log in screen, see if you can find it via the "joining" trick I discussed earlier.

(Also, you guys could not join the region you did find me in because Someone else made that region)

So please make a city, if you can get in, even if your not going to 'work' on it now.

I

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 am UTC

Can't get on NA east 1 at the moment, seems like it's full. Then again, it doesn't seem like I got an invitation either

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:58 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:Can't get on NA east 1 at the moment, seems like it's full. Then again, it doesn't seem like I got an invitation either

You have to log into the same server to receive invites.

I logged in again and sent out 6 invites.

ArgonV was not an option --- my only guess is that you have never logged onto that server before.

Again, unless you have created a city of your own in a particular server, I don't think you can receive or send invites on that server.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:33 pm UTC

The server issue explains why I'm not getting any invites; I've been on NAE3 this whole time.

I'm not able to get into NA east I either. I tried again this morning before work under the assumption that most people aren't playing video games at 8 am on weekdays. No dice.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

If you go to the server status page NAE1 is almost perpetually locked to new players (It might be perpetually, not sure).

So.... we'd probably need to move servers and have everyone set up a region on another server.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:If you go to the server status page NAE1 is almost perpetually locked to new players (It might be perpetually, not sure).

So.... we'd probably need to move servers and have everyone set up a region on another server.

Progress!!

Ok someone select a server that we can all get into, then everyone go there and create a city in your own region.
THEN -- we can create a region.

In the meantime, dont waste time in the old XKCD regions --- I am really not going to be playing much until a functioning region is up and working with all of us in there --- it is the multiplayer aspect that intrigues me.

Maybe the new Asian 2 server is low pop?

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

I wonder what the pop and actual location of the Antarctica server is?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
ArgonV wrote:Can't get on NA east 1 at the moment, seems like it's full. Then again, it doesn't seem like I got an invitation either

You have to log into the same server to receive invites.

I logged in again and sent out 6 invites.

ArgonV was not an option --- my only guess is that you have never logged onto that server before.

Again, unless you have created a city of your own in a particular server, I don't think you can receive or send invites on that server.

I've got a region on NAE 1. I just can never log in there, so I usually play EW (Europe West) 2

Also, it seems the coming patch isn't just an update, it's an actual change to the simulation.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:48 am UTC

So I guess the logical thing to do is for everyone to post what server they are available in and then go to the one where we all can play?

I think I can access all Sim City Servers :)

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytk1agmcXhU :shock:

I probably won't be playing again till I finish Bioshock. Too many thing to dooooo... I could just just whatever server though if we decide on one. I reccomend checking against this list if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

Return to “Gaming”