Sim City

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: Sim City

Postby Xeio » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:55 pm UTC

Origin is apparently under a bit of load. I couldn't load my friends list to add people to it at lunch.

Guess we'll see if that clears up in the next few hours or not (I'm at work again).

Didn't really have time to play anyway yet, just created a private region to toy around with and started a city. It's funny that the game tried to default me to the Euro servers because the US ones were listed as "busy" (it let me in anyway).

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:40 pm UTC

I managed to get everything downloaded and was able to run the installer before I left for work this morning. Hopefully it will all be ready to get when I get home a few hours from now.

I can't remember my Origin ID off the top of my head, I'll have to check when I get home... I rarely use Origin the same way that I use Steam so it's tough to remember that kind of stuff.

Edit: My Origin ID is Obbz for anyone who wants to add me. Additionally, I cannot launch the game. The launcher is stuck on "Authenticating with SimCity servers..."

Fucking ridiculous.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Diablo III / WoW release-day victim here. For big online-only releases for new IP's, they will always lowball their servers. Expect this to be a thing, for like, 48 hours. I'm sorry :(

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

Well that particular issue has been resolved. Now nothing works in-game. I launch the tutorial and nothing happens, I can't click on anything or stop time or do anything other than watch the clock tick and click on the options menu. Starting a real game in a regular region does nothing either. It goes into the game but will not let me do anything because it says I need to connect to the highway, even if I run roads to the pre-built highway connection. The game just isn't registering any action I may want to take other than navigating menus.
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 am UTC

I have had no issues with the game.

Sent friend requests to 3 people + Xeio (took a stab in the dark that was you)
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 am UTC

I've send you all friend request.. I hope we can be friends :)

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:32 am UTC

Yay, finally got in! Got to mess around with my own private region to get the very basics out of the way before I jump into the XKCD region. It's quite a bit more challenging than I anticipated. It starts off fairly slow, so quick starts are a bit more difficult.

I've added those that I saw had posted their Origin IDs, as well.
The story so far:

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:59 am UTC

I'm still not sure I understand how worker commuting works. Presumably I have a city which is mostly residential and commercial. Then another city which is pure industrial. But the second city continually complains about lack of workers, even when I expand the first city. The info layers appear to show at least some workers... I dunno... it's weird.

Oh, and before I forget. Fuck you Sim City.

I go "oh, look at all the crime, I should save up for a police department" and then save up. I plop it. AND A FUCKING FIRE BREATHING MONSTER DIGS ITSELF OUT OF THE GROUND, STOMPS A FEW RESIDENTIAL BUILDINGS, AND THEN BEELINES FOR MY BRAND FUCKING NEW POLICE DEPARTMENT TO SMASH IT INTO TINY PIECES THEN PROMPTLY DIGS ITSELF BACK INTO THE HELLHOLE FROM WHENCE IT CAME. THAT WAS 30k SIMOLEONS, YOU MOTHERFUCKER.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 pm UTC

O.K. -- I have 6 people friended but the ingame friends commands are wonky.
I did successfully send 3 invites this morning to the region. (A test phase!)

On the game.
1) I am enjoying it very much.
2) A region game seems almost mandatory -- way to difficult to take care of all your citizens needs in a single city. (if you hope to be big)
3) The game starts off nicely, and I find the difficulty ramps up severly at around the 50k citizens mark.
4) Mining/Drilling ---- I was able to afford my first Ore mine around the 50k mark... and it turns out my best mining was in the heart of my residential district.
So if its possible, try to figure out where your resources are BEFORE you plan you city.
My design was based on wind and water with residential upwind of industrial.
5) The Utilities upgrade at city hall seems like a MUST HAVE. Not being able to build the good utility buildings is brutal over 60k citizens. I had something like 13 waste disposal sites and still didn't have enough. I had 15 water pumps... still not enough.
6) Its easy to make mistakes. I put my super duper water building over polluted ground.
7) Taxes matter. For kicks I lowered my commerical tax to 1% and very quickly I had skyscrapers and high density commerical zones.
8) Fires <---- Holy god! My city was averaging 10 fires a day. I spend 1/3 of all expenditures on fire departments and its still lacking.
The only thing I have read to help explain that is -- if you don't have a high school, teenagers get bored and start fires --- there must be other factors because my fires are berserk ever after a high school was built.
9) I think its a given that a 16 city region is going to need a "Garbage city".
The amount of space you need for garbage and sewege gets to be quite large pretty quickly.
10) Build a Trading Depot ASAP if you have any industry. This is the best way for them to sell their products in the region. Its a very important building if you intend to mine/drill or use coal/oil power plants, and its what allows you to enter the global market.

Brought to you by Imperial Estates --- its a miracle the Mayor has not died in a fire.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

I can do the garbage city! :D Or a dirty industrial mining city. In any case, I have my heart set on being the seedy underbelly of the XKCD region. :)
-Adam

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:27 pm UTC

Origin ID is same as use name here. Hopefully I should be able to get around to actually play this evening.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Hopefully will be picking up the game tonight. I'm planning on going after the manufacturing/trade city, so If there's any spaces left on the coastline somewhere I'd like one of those (a railroad might be nice as well if possible).

I do have to admit, though, the thought of not being able to play if their servers become overloaded is a bit disconcerting. I would think EA would have realized that they need more servers for launch day by now, but I suppose not.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:58 pm UTC

eculc wrote:I do have to admit, though, the thought of not being able to play if their servers become overloaded is a bit disconcerting. I would think EA would have realized that they need more servers for launch day by now, but I suppose not.

Its a cost issue I'm sure. Launch day will be bad, but the rest of the time server load will probably even out pretty quickly. Diablo 3 launch was horrible at midnight but even the next day it was pretty stable. No company is going to expend the resources to make sure their servers can handle a HUGE load spike on release when it will never be that bad again.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Yup, Launch day is bad...

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... aunch-day/

The process was so bad that Polygon.com changed its review score for the game from a 9.5 to an 8.

I logged in today and was finally able to start up a city in a new region just to test somethings out...

1) Yes, never place your water towers near pollution sources lol (but that was pro tip since beta)
2) Crime really was never an issue ... fire is always an immediate threat comparing to crime due to how fire can spread and destroy buildings.
3) I went for a quick shower. When I came back there was apparantly some disaster that killed my power plant... I'm also 150k richer. Replaced my wind power with solar power but for some reason the population never got back up from 400. (The Historic Chart saids I was 2970 a few months ago), My income is still steadily at 1970+/Month, all buildings got their powers back and have happy faces... very strange.

Hoping I can get into the xkcd region tonight. From what it looks like, you can focus your town on a certain concept... but you still need to build commericial and residential zones... (you can't go all out on industrial... but maybe trains would help.)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

I wonder if one solution to the launch day bottleneck would be to charge people a couple extra bucks to get the game a week early. Or something like that.

Sims can commute between cities in a region so I'm not sure why you couldn't have one city be all/mostly industry and one city be all/mostly residential.
-Adam

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

But when the launch is over, the extra servers can be rented out to the next company with a big launch, no?

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:3) I went for a quick shower. When I came back there was apparantly some disaster that killed my power plant... I'm also 150k richer. Replaced my wind power with solar power but for some reason the population never got back up from 400. (The Historic Chart saids I was 2970 a few months ago), My income is still steadily at 1970+/Month, all buildings got their powers back and have happy faces... very strange.
Did you demolish all the previously abandoned buildings? They get highlighted if you select the delete tool.

Hoping I can get into the xkcd region tonight. From what it looks like, you can focus your town on a certain concept... but you still need to build commericial and residential zones... (you can't go all out on industrial... but maybe trains would help.)
Just unlocked a transportation department in my personal region prior to quitting, so I was gonna see what happened with the better transport on my industry city.

Adam H wrote:Sims can commute between cities in a region so I'm not sure why you couldn't have one city be all/mostly industry and one city be all/mostly residential.
Sortof. I'm not entirely sure if it's just a city-sync issue (there appears to be a delay between city interaction, even on the (currently) low load Europe servers). Took several minutes to send simoleons, my transportation department had not become region-active in 15+ minutes after I built it (at least 10 minutes in the city I built it, another 5 in a secondary city where it still wasn't active). The population/worker counts aren't as visible so it's hard to tell if they're all synced up or not.

It also may require some workers to live locally, but again, it's hard to differentiate that between what may just be server issues.
Last edited by Xeio on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
Nylonathatep wrote:3) I went for a quick shower. When I came back there was apparantly some disaster that killed my power plant... I'm also 150k richer. Replaced my wind power with solar power but for some reason the population never got back up from 400. (The Historic Chart saids I was 2970 a few months ago), My income is still steadily at 1970+/Month, all buildings got their powers back and have happy faces... very strange.
Did you demolish all the previously abandoned buildings? They get highlighted if you select the delete tool.

There were only a few buildings that got abandoned/destroyed, but I'll demolish everything and let them rebuild everything once I get home and see if that fix the problem.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I can do the garbage city! :D Or a dirty industrial mining city. In any case, I have my heart set on being the seedy underbelly of the XKCD region. :)

Then you might consider lots of dirty jobs + gambling.

I probably won't play much tonight, but I will frequently check in to add friends and invite to our "practice" city as the game allows, which is sketchy.

As to regional play, I think everyone will have to start as a generic city with RCI and build up to a point where you can then transition to a focused city and raze the RCI you don't want.

Again, for the newer players --- get fire stations early. There is a big lag on when you place fire departments and when they actually reduce fires. And unlock that Utility building expansion to your city hall --- its a necessary life saver.

Nylonathatep wrote: Yes, never place your water towers near pollution sources lol (but that was pro tip since beta)

My problem was that my city was out of space, when I was running into trash, sewege, and water problems which caused me start filling up every little spot with those buildings, and when I finally got the life saving water plant, I had already contaminated over half my cities water supply + its a LARGE building and finding space was difficult. (Who wants to raze a high density sky scrapper!)

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:32 pm UTC

Technical difficulties rant:
Spoiler:
I did the mandatory tutorial last night (t'was annoying). Then today on my lunch break I tried to start my first city, and got the error message "you cannot claim a city at this time, try again later". It gave me that error message every time I tried to claim a city. I googled the error message and the only suggestion was to change servers and retry. So I changed servers, but it was the same result (every server except pacific was green/available, btw). I changed servers again, and this time when I started SC it told me it was my first time and made me do the tutorial. SCREW THAT. Restarted SC. It still told me to do the tutorial. I was really annoyed.

So I change servers for the 4th time, go back in, and... success! It let me create a city.

Now for the fun part!

The traffic and roading is my favorite. I live in an ugly grid city with horrible traffic (Houston wootwoot!), so that's the last thing I want for my residents. :) I really really like the curvy freestyle roads. However, there's definitely a learning curve with putting in just the right amount of space between your roads so that you can zone RCI without having to much blank space.

Traffic problems: I started my city with a residential area on one corner of the map and an industrial area on the opposite corner with an avenue connecting them, and commercial lining both sides of that avenue. This has major problems - if your sims want to go shopping, they're forced to drive the entire length of the avenue just to do a u-turn, since there's no way to turn around on an avenue except at an intersection. During rushhour my avenue turns into one big u-turn-fest - seriously, both left lanes get clogged up entirely with people trying to do u-turns. :? Poor little guys, I need to put roads intersecting my avenue ASAP.

It's easy (at least at first) to keep your budget in the black/green, but everything is sooo expensive. After getting my RCI, power, water, and sewage set up, I mostly just spent money on coal mining and trading post. I don't think it's a very efficient way to make money though. I think I was selling about 4k worth of coal every 2-3 hours after investing about 80k into it.

I don't think I even have any medium income residential yet! :P

Ixtellor wrote:Also, I put it on the NA East coast server so our European friends will have a better connection, although I don't think its an issue.
NA East 1 or 2? Or do I not need to know?
-Adam

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:NA East 1 or 2? Or do I not need to know?

When I created the region there was no 1 or 2, so I assume I we are 1... but I don't think it matters. I assume I just send you an invite, and if you accept you can join the region and claim a city.

Hopefully people will start joining, so the Region doesn't just consist of my ugly city of pollution, crime, and FIRE.

Edit:

Very important --- All regions, regardless of size are limited to trading (other than global commodities) with the 3 other cities in their 'block'.
16 City regions are really just 4 clusters put togeather. So you can only do the major stuff with other cities that are connected via roads and rail.
Hence, if anyone joins -- pick the closest cities if you want to have interactions.... although if we actually get 16, this won't matter.
Last edited by Ixtellor on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:02 pm UTC

Adam H wrote: snipped

Adam H, we are on NA East 1 :)

Ixtellor = Ixtellor2
ArgonV = ArgonVex
Eculc = Eculc
Xeio = Xeio
Obby = Obbz
Quizatzhaderac = Quizatzhaderac
Adam H = KingAdamXVII

(edit: I'll continue to compile list of names of players and their Origin ID)

Adam H, I usually try to mix my Residential and Commercial together, even in SimCity 4. There's even more reasons to mix together now since Parks up values for both R and C, and spreading thin really won't raise the infrastructure cost that much because of bus and school bus stops.

Also is your area rich in coal?

Ixtellor: Send me an invite when you can Ixtellor :)
Last edited by Nylonathatep on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

My origin ID is KingAdamXVII, for some reason. :P
Ixtellor wrote:Very important --- All regions, regardless of size are limited to trading (other than global commodities) with the 3 other cities in their 'block'.
16 City regions are really just 4 clusters put togeather. So you can only do the major stuff with other cities that are connected via roads and rail.
Hence, if anyone joins -- pick the closest cities if you want to have interactions.... although if we actually get 16, this won't matter.
What ways can you interact with the 12 cities that aren't in your cluster? I guess a garbage city is no longer an option?

Nylonathatep wrote:Also is your area rich in coal?
Yeah, my coal mine is sitting right on a big black spot. And I have two additional shafts, so I'm getting quite a bit of coal*. I only played for about 30 minutes today so I didn't have much time to see the exact process by which coal was being mined, transported over to the trading post, and sold on the market. There could very well be a bottleneck somewhere, or I just didn't give it enough time to start making money, or I'm making more money than I think.

*The coal mine said about 40... tons per hour? per day? per month? The global rate is 10 tons per ~4k bucks, so... hmmm... it seems like I'm selling about 3-4 tons per hour. I'll have to do some investigating when I get back to it...

...The time system is really weird, right? There are ~30 hours in a month according to the budget? Is the day/night cycle one month?
-Adam

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:05 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:I did the mandatory tutorial last night (t'was annoying).
Start the tutorial and immediately exit the map (back to main menu) to clear the requirement (it will try to make you to run the tutorial on every server you play on). But yea, it's stupid you can't skip it completely.

Obby

Postby Obby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

The login servers are down, apparently. Can't connect to any region.

*sigh*
The story so far:

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Sent out a few friend requests on Origin, the game is down, I got into the Oceanic server only to get stuck in the tutorial loop.

I will check back later tonight to see if its up, then send out mass requests to join the region.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

I have accepted the friend requests sent to me so far :D

Unfortunately, I still don't have the game (the downside of not having access to the money that pays for things you want) but I *should* have it by tonight, though I likely won't be able to play until friday as I'll have to let the game install.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:54 pm UTC

eculc wrote:I have accepted the friend requests sent to me so far :D

Unfortunately, I still don't have the game (the downside of not having access to the money that pays for things you want) but I *should* have it by tonight, though I likely won't be able to play until friday as I'll have to let the game install.

Don't feel bad, last night was a stage 9 cluster F@#$.

There are having massive server issues.

I did manage to log in this morning, but was never given an option to send more invites.
(One of you did make it in!)

I also, was on just long enough to have an earthquake in my city centered in the HEART of my high density commercial district, thus sending my city into near bankruptys as my tax revenues went below my expenses. I was forced to raise taxes >:(

Another thing I learned -- TRASH incinerators ---- land fills just don't work.

My population hit a high of 150, before dropping 30 K due to crime and of course FIRE.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:34 pm UTC

The server problems are almost hilarious. This weekend is going to be craaaazy! :P

I'm having trouble sharing power. It lets me click the button to buy power from my neighboring city, but the power never gets there. And once I go back in to my power supplying region, almost everything is red (out of power) and the yellow dots are furiously trying to get everything yellow again. The power plant is has about 40MW available and the new city only has about 1MW of demand, so I don't know what the problem is. I guess I just need to wait or keep entering/exiting the cities?
-Adam

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:07 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:The server problems are almost hilarious. This weekend is going to be craaaazy! :P

I'm having trouble sharing power. It lets me click the button to buy power from my neighboring city, but the power never gets there. And once I go back in to my power supplying region, almost everything is red (out of power) and the yellow dots are furiously trying to get everything yellow again. The power plant is has about 40MW available and the new city only has about 1MW of demand, so I don't know what the problem is. I guess I just need to wait or keep entering/exiting the cities?

I read in the last update that they were addressing sharing resources.

Are the cities connected or did you make cities far apart on a 16 player map?

I have read a lot of posts and not really read complaints about power sharing, so no idea... maybe it just needs more time. Lots of things take time to actually go into effect in the game.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:27 pm UTC

From what people are saying about server problems, if EA wants to make me feel less sad about not purchasing SimCity for a while, they are certainly doing a good job at it.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
Adam H wrote:The server problems are almost hilarious. This weekend is going to be craaaazy! :P

I read in the last update that they were addressing sharing resources.

Are the cities connected or did you make cities far apart on a 16 player map?

I have read a lot of posts and not really read complaints about power sharing, so no idea... maybe it just needs more time. Lots of things take time to actually go into effect in the game.
The cities are right next to each other and they're kind of in their own little corner (it's the medium-sized (8 cities IIRC) island region, and the two cities are the coal one and the oil one, if by any chance you know that one...). In the power-giving city view I can see the power flowing along the highway into the power-receiving city, but it just is never there when I load up the receiving city.

Along those same lines, I gifted 40k simoleons to the newer city, and watched a delivery truck take the money to the new city, and received a message saying that the gift was successful. But then I go into the city that supposedly received the money and it never arrived. The money is lost forever, apparently. After 30 minutes of game time neither the power nor the money ever showed up, so... oh well. :(
-Adam

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

It sounds like your cities aren't linking up correctly in the cloud, I hope its just a server issue and lag/excessive use is causing those problems.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:From what people are saying about server problems, if EA wants to make me feel less sad about not purchasing SimCity for a while, they are certainly doing a good job at it.
At this point I'd probably suggest waiting till next week unless you're really dying to play anyway. It's feeling a bit like the Diablo 3 launch where it wasn't all rosy till 3-4 days after launch (lucky for me in that case, I didn't get the game delivered till Friday so I never even saw Error 37).

I'm still hopeful it will clear up by the weekend, but they just don't seem to be opening new servers for some reason...

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
EvanED wrote:From what people are saying about server problems, if EA wants to make me feel less sad about not purchasing SimCity for a while, they are certainly doing a good job at it.
At this point I'd probably suggest waiting till next week unless you're really dying to play anyway. It's feeling a bit like the Diablo 3 launch where it wasn't all rosy till 3-4 days after launch (lucky for me in that case, I didn't get the game delivered till Friday so I never even saw Error 37).

I'm still hopeful it will clear up by the weekend, but they just don't seem to be opening new servers for some reason...
My problem is that you need to connect to their servers at all. That reduces the value received by buying it, and thus the amount of money I'm willing to pay for it. So I will wait until it goes on sale. The current server problems are somewhat incidental to that point, but it's still true that EA is doing a remarkably bad job at convincing me that that attitude is incorrect.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:00 am UTC

Like I said, they could buy maybe 10 extra servers, then take them offline the next week, and rent them out to any other company having an initial launch...

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:23 am UTC

I've thought they could handle things a little better just by having a few extra servers that normally just keep one of the existing games running, but which can be pulled quickly onto launch titles.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:35 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Like I said, they could buy maybe 10 extra servers, then take them offline the next week, and rent them out to any other company having an initial launch...
Or rent some servers from companies that exist to rent servers to companies with fluctuating demands. Ones that even just reduced their prices, perhaps. If they're going to insist on such a heavy online component, they could at least be fashionable and take proper advantage of The Cloud(tm).

I'd actually really really like to see a detailed, after the fact explanation of how EA's server architecture for this sort of thing works - did they just accept they'd have problems for a bit? How did they decide how long problems would be OK for and what steady state usage would be? Were their user estimates off? Did things not scale as expected? Why not? How did they make those estimates? How did they test things? Did they incorporate feedback from, say, the D3 launch? How, or why not? How do they adapt when their estimates are off, how long does that take them? I don't expect to ever see such a thing, of course, but it could be a fascinating read.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:23 am UTC

Not quite sure what to think of this game.

On the one hand, there are a lot of great things about the game, and I find most of the moment-to-moment experience enjoyable.

There are also a lot of elements that I'm sure are rather fun if there are other people you want to play with- collaboratively building a metropolitan area with friends seems great (especially because most of the utilities can be easily shared between regions, and so can easily specialize; one of my frustrations with an early city is having to plow all of your money in the first ~30 minutes into different utility buildings, that then give you plenty of coverage for quite some time).

But the game is set up to basically force that through the small city sizes- and being your own friend is an aggravating experience, since swapping regions takes much longer to load than I'd like and has crashed for me about a quarter to half of the time. If you could have like four cities going at once, then it'd be everything I want in a single-player experience.

So, is anyone up for a LAN-party style experience (all log in at the same time, play for 2+ hours)?
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:27 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:So, is anyone up for a LAN-party style experience (all log in at the same time, play for 2+ hours)?

Sure, but that might be difficult with timezones. And, hate to sound cynical, I doubt the servers would let us.
Can anyone invite me into the region, by the way?

Return to “Gaming”