Sim City

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Re: Sim City

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:36 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Negated wrote:Thanks for reminding me how small the city limit is in the latest Sim City. :(

I still can't understand why the ditched the next-to-each-other, interconnectable plots

I assume at some point they will sell increase your city size dlc. Which, I'm starting to get incredibly annoyed with EA's need to turn everything into a dlc-expansion based property. Can't they just make and release a fucking game as just that? Single player seems to be something they've never heard of.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:30 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
ArgonV wrote:
Negated wrote:Thanks for reminding me how small the city limit is in the latest Sim City. :(

I still can't understand why the ditched the next-to-each-other, interconnectable plots

I assume at some point they will sell increase your city size dlc. Which, I'm starting to get incredibly annoyed with EA's need to turn everything into a dlc-expansion based property. Can't they just make and release a fucking game as just that? Single player seems to be something they've never heard of.

Bringing up multiplayer is a good excuse to include some always-online DRM. Which I wouldn't have that much of a problem with, if it was actually working. Which it isn't. And according the Maxis, their engine apparently can't handle larger plot sizes. Sounds like bullshit to me, maybe some people's computers can't handle it, but that's not my problem. Mine doesn't noticeably slow down when playing Simcity, so bring it on!

To be fair, Bioware - also owned by EA - released a ton of free content for the multiplayer part of Mass Effect 3. So it is possible

Koa

Postby Koa » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

I think the system requirements explode when they increase the city size due to the agent path finding. There's already other observable limitations to the agents like how far services can travel and the overall complexity of the AI. They would have to make several concessions to their game model to support a considerably larger city size, which is another way of saying that the engine can't handle it. They're aiming for a specific demographic (the casuals and grandparents) and multiplayer. They need to have a strict guideline of system requirements because I would guess that variable city sizes isn't possible in a region. In order for an avid gamer with a strong computer to play with their parents with a crap computer the region has to cater to the lowest common denominator. If they don't, or if a region is mixed, lots of complaints and issues are expected from their target demographic. It wouldn't be progress. Besides, I think they've already lost the demographic that wanted Sim City 5 rather than this reimagined and rebooted, marketing platform Sim City.

I wouldn't be surprised if they released a DLC region that contained 20% larger city plots due to the demand for it. But, as I see it, 120% of small is still small, and there's still all the other mechanical problems plaguing the game. I'm fine with Sim City 4.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:02 pm UTC

So apparently they just announced they'll be adding an offline mode in the next update.

You know, if we're getting on offline mode, then I really hope bigger cities will happen. If not officially, it sounds like they're effectively saying "have at it modders".

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:47 pm UTC

It's slowly catching up to Sim City 2000! Maybe you'll even be able to terraform eventually.

The city size is definitely the biggest issue for me. If they doubled the size along each axis then it would be much more fun to play. The other thing that sucks out the fun for me is the limited amount of water, which seems to ensure your city can't go on forever - just as I've got the city as I like it, water shortages start happening and there aren't any unpolluted high-water areas to put a new pump on. Basically, every city ends up an abandoned, radioactive wasteland full of (presumably mutant) criminals and squatters. At least mine do.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:36 pm UTC

Plop water treatments next to your water pumps. The treatment plants 'refill' the water table.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:06 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:So apparently they just announced they'll be adding an offline mode in the next update.

You know, if we're getting on offline mode, then I really hope bigger cities will happen. If not officially, it sounds like they're effectively saying "have at it modders".

I'm really hoping for bigger maps with 'natural' borders then, like following a cliff or river. And maybe a way to create additional city connections from both the highway and between cities. Then I actually might start playing again.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 pm UTC

Modding for bigger maps and More then One highway enterence would be pretty good for Sim City. It's the way the game should be in the first place.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:31 am UTC

Even then, without terraforming it won't have anything like the longevity of SC2000 for me. I still sometimes fire that up in DosBox. I guess the new Sim City was really trying to be a fundamentally different game though.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:10 pm UTC

I'll just drop this here after my utter disappointment: SimCity for OS X doesn't use your graphics card, which means it has horrifying input lag and you'll be forced to play on something like 1280x720 with all settings at minimum... And still have lag.

So yeah, not even going to touch this game till my Windows PC gets built or they fix that. If you're on OS X, don't get it.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:51 pm UTC

So update 10 released yesterday. Now I'm waiting to see how the modders can play with it. Supposedly there will be some blog posts in the near-ish future going into more details about modding but I won't quite hold my breath.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:45 am UTC

I'm afraid EA/Maxis will set severe restrictions on modding

Brosephini

Postby Brosephini » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:37 pm UTC

Haven't played this game in so long...Is it worth it to start playing again?

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:22 pm UTC

I haven't played it in a while either, I think I'm actually more likely to replay Sim City 2000 in DosBox.

Unless some really good mods get released which add in the features the new game is missing from 2k, like larger maps (even the size of the ones in 2k would be fine) and hopefully terraforming.

I understand the traffic issues have been largely fixed though, which is what really killed the game when it first came out (I mean, after the servers actually started letting people log on).

(EDIT: Just looked back up the page and I've managed to repeat myself a lot now, very sorry!)

Return to “Gaming”