Sim City

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Re: Sim City

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote: That was my plan as well.
Not sure if round roads are less space-efficient, it seems like the lots take on a wedge-shape to compensate. I just wish the zoning could be done without roads, like you used to. Or at least get a clearer idea how much room there needs to be between two roads order to place to lots back-to-bank.

I noticed on lots of vids that when you put down roads, the computer generates lots of dotted lines around your road that sim to indicate ideal lot size or distance between roads for back to back lots.

I also noticed that even though you do a thin 'strip' of zone (industrial for example) the lots that they build are bigger than the space you zoned. If you notice industrial buildings are all quite large and seem to be 3X the size of the industrial zone.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Circular or square cities/roads?
I have the sudden, odd desire to play on a non-euclidean plane.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

I'd also like it if police influence was determined by the road system and how long it takes for officers to respond. Traffic has no effect since, well, sirens.

Police could have various abilities which affect their ability to actually catch criminals and get the right criminals, a lot depending on your own citizens education level thingy as well as police funding.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I'd also like it if police influence was determined by the road system and how long it takes for officers to respond. Traffic has no effect since, well, sirens.

Emergency response distance is determined by distance along roads rather than a fixed radius around the building.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

Yay!

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:01 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:

Like... a hill? :D
-Adam

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:17 pm UTC

4 spacial dimensional Sim City! And you thought your commute was terrible.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

To be fair, my commute does involve movement through time. Sometimes no movement, just time.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:05 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

Adam H wrote:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:

Like... a hill? :D

That's a start, I wonder if commute distances are affected by slope?

I was thinking more about playing on the surface of a city sized sphere.

Or something topologically different, like the surface of a torus. On the classic video game world map you can actually draw a triangle with angles summing to 360 degrees if you cross the edges.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:18 am UTC

Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed that that kind of information is available already. The game is a bit more fun when you can't plan EVERYTHING out ahead of time (namely using stats for each city area to decide what to build there)
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:29 pm UTC

Then just ignore the document :wink:

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Then just ignore the document :wink:

I was scared to click the document and mad it was 'ruining' the game.

But it is nothing to bad.

I thought it was going to calculate the optimal amounts of RIC, where to place items, how long to mine, etc.

It really only tells you what resources are in your region/city starting point.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

I'm actually dissappointed that users can't design their own regions...

Also it seems Sim City 5 isn't that keen on letting players making metropolis. Each region on its own is so small...

On the other hand... I'm up to the challenge to make all my sims packed together like canned sardines.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:I'm actually dissappointed that users can't design their own regions...

I concur, maybe in a future patch.
I didn't learn about the pre-made regions and city spaces until I saw that chart.
The maps look good though, so I will just enjoy building my city and there still seems to be unlimited options in term of how your city looks.

Also, I heard online that while cities are limited in space to 2 sq Kilometers, populations could hit over a million. Didn't see proof but did read that somewhere.

I imagine when you factor in sharing city services from city to city it frees up a lot of space to pack in the people. And I still think in theory you could have a 100% residential city with your inhapbitants working in adjacent cities.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Also, I heard online that while cities are limited in space to 2 sq Kilometers, populations could hit over a million. Didn't see proof but did read that somewhere.
Manhattan has a population density of about 27,000 per km2, Manilla has the most at 43Kwikipedia. Even with future architecture, it's hard to see a million people living in 2 km2.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 pm UTC

Wait, how would that work? Even if that's 2x2 km or 4 sq km, that would mean the map is at most 200x200 squares, assuming each square is 10m wide. I'd hate to imagine any building smaller than that, and I imagine most buildings will be bigger. 200 blocks wide is kinda smallish.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

Just for reference... in Sim City 4...

This guy on Youtube has about 3 million pop. on Medium Size Tile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuu943ieuRI

He probably cheated thou.

I'm not so concern with actual population size but rather the possibility to build dense pop cities with high rise like Hong Kong or Tokyo. Still, we really haven't seen the high density zone yet so we'll see...

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Nice MalackdevouringBelkar, but anyway, that's not too difficult in SC4 to get a huge city. Takes a long time, and constantly going to neighboring cities to keep building industries and commercial districts for people to work, plus exporting/importing the utilities.

Oh, and apparently each square is 24x24 meters, so 2 sq km is maybe 60 by 60 squares or so. Rather small. Maybe it's made up for with added complexity, in that each Sim goes to individual jobs, rather than the entire building works at the same place.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:53 am UTC

From what I saw in the beta, the map looked significantly larger than 60*60 squares.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 pm UTC

6 More days people!

Start planning!

I will probably not get the game until the afternoon ( I work) so if someone wants to start the XKCD region, be sure and post name and pword on the forums. If not I will start a region as soon as I have the game up and running and I can figure out how to start a region.

We need a 16 person region for, other than that I don't personally care which one is selected.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:24 pm UTC

I will likely also not be able to get the game until late that evening, though I'm not sure what timezones everyone is in (I'm EST) so I don't know how much of a difference that will make.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:6 More days people!

Yeah, for the Americans here...

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:01 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:6 More days people!

Yeah, for the Americans here...

Meh, when is it released in Europe?

Also, I was in an all Swedish Clan (except me)in a 90's MUD [ Eye of Odin ] for several years. So sorry about the American centric aspect of my post.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:21 pm UTC

Wikipedia says the 8th for Europe and 7th for Australia. I hate it when the internet differs geographically.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 pm UTC

So, I guess we'll wait then until everyone interested actually HAS the game.

Anyways, I cast my vote for the region to be "Discovery Delta"

...wow, that's a really weird name. whatever.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 pm UTC

Oh, I heard the 7th for mainland Europe and the 8th for the UK (and Ireland, I guess?). Anyway, us non-Americans will be a few days later :(

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:30 am UTC

So It looks like I've just pre-ordered Sim City 5... :)

I'll promise to be a friendly good neighbour :)

Obby

Postby Obby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:44 pm UTC

Same. I pre-ordered from Amazon yesterday, so hopefully I am able to join you guys once the region is set up.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Polyphase Avatron

Postby Polyphase Avatron » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:19 pm UTC

I loved Sim City 2000 as a kid. When I was just 7 I built a successful city with millions of inhabitants.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 pm UTC

Well, pre-ordered for €37, which I think is a pretty good price, since Origin will charge me €60 and I don't really care about those superheroes anyhow. Now I just need to wait...

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:06 pm UTC

Can't pre-load yet which is odd, unless it will let us today sometime (it releases midnight tonight in the states, right?).

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:26 pm UTC

Amazon sent an email that said that pre-loads were no longer happening for the game. It was probably something that changed at EA, I would guess.

They shortly followed it up saying that my pre-order had been cancelled accidentally and gave me a $5 coupon to use if I wanted to re-pre-order it (which I did) and free access to the Villains and Heroes thing that I don't intend to use.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Obby wrote:Amazon sent an email that said that pre-loads were no longer happening for the game. It was probably something that changed at EA, I would guess.
Weird, Dead Space 3 had it just a few weeks ago.

Maybe something to do with the patcher system for Sim City, but there was still some downloading to do from Origin for the beta so... hrmmmm.

Official word, no pre-loads. So yea, that's annoying.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

I started a Region called XKCD.

But you have to be Origin "friends" in order for me to invite you.

I selected a 16 city region, Vivican... something and I took not the worst and not nearly the best city location.

So start sending me those Origion ID's so I can invite you.

I am Ixtellor2 on Origin.

Also, I put it on the NA East coast server so our European friends will have a better connection, although I don't think its an issue.

Edit: I am off to work now and will be back home in 10 hours.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

ArgonVex on Origin. But I'm European, so I won't be able to play until Tuesday. So if there's more Americans that want to play, invite them first.

Maybe we can even have multiple regions? Americas, Europe and maybe Asia/Pacifica? All select the same region and then we have a little friendly competition? :D

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:ArgonVex on Origin. But I'm European, so I won't be able to play until Tuesday. So if there's more Americans that want to play, invite them first.

Maybe we can even have multiple regions? Americas, Europe and maybe Asia/Pacifica? All select the same region and then we have a little friendly competition? :D

There are more than enough slots for everyone who wants to join.

Also, apparently scored is kept according to 4 city grouping even within a 16 city region. So your competition thing could be done utitilizing that.

Lastly, no pressure, we are all learning the game, lets just get a region going get used to the game, then start over for real.

People are claiming you basically do 'finish' your city and I read 80 hours is probably where you will 'max' out. So we can do several regions over time and try out different things.
"Best looking cities", "Highest population" "highest income", Most/fastest mega works, etc.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:50 pm UTC

I probably won't be able to buy/play until this weekend, hopefully there will still be a spot available! :) Cheers!

Oh yeah, and USA's gonna pwn everyone. :P
-Adam

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

So, I assume we're starting on Friday or Saturday? It sounds like everyone will have had a chance to get the game by then.

I am Eculc on origin.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

eculc wrote:So, I assume we're starting on Friday or Saturday? It sounds like everyone will have had a chance to get the game by then.

I am Eculc on origin.

I just want everyone to enjoy the experience, so if everyone wants to start this weekend that is fine, or if people dont care if others start earlier, etc

Whatever makes people happy.

(Next week is Spring Break in the USA... I will be out of town for 4 days, but have no problem setting it up fri/saturday)

Return to “Gaming”