Super Smash Bros.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: Super Smash Bros.

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:58 pm UTC

"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Pause

Postby Pause » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:43 pm UTC

The Cosmic Fool wrote:
Sum Ergo Sum wrote:I dunno- they may just have removed Ness- his only American game was never that popular, despite its sheer awesomeness. Besides, I'd be willing to bet they're retiring Marth and Roy in favor of Ike, so I wouldn't be surprised if they retired Ness

What world are you living in that involves Earthbound not being popular?

It's not popular, though. It's since become a cult hit, but that's not the same thing. The game was a commercial flop in the US, and PAL territories never saw it at all. The only thing more amazing than Ness making the non-Japanese cut of Melee was that Marth and Roy were in it.

If I remember rightly, the only reason Ness was in it anyway was because Mother 3 was delayed. Since that's out now, and regional (non-)releases are apparently not considered a reason to take characters out, it seems logical for Lucas to have replaced him. Though as suggested, they might yet do both in a similar fashion to Mario/Luigi, Gannondorf/Falcon or Roy/Marth, perhaps. Depends how many clone pairs they're bothering with this time around.

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:57 am UTC

Pobega wrote:Yeah but a lot of his moves are similar from what I remember, I used to play him years ago. I haven't even seen Mewtwo in a fight since I cleared event 51 to be honest, so I may be wrong. I just remember him being a slower alternative to Samus.

O.o

Mewtwo, and Samus do not have similar moves, beyound maybe the charged shot, and even those behave differently. The difference between them isn't like Falcon and Gannon, or Fox and Falco they're two very distinct characters entirely.

Mewtwo is probably gone though, which makes me sad because he's a fun/quirky character to play with, and good for mind games if you're any good at it. (And manage to learn the timing needed to get some of his attacks to actually hit).

I heard that Tails is also an assist trophy, someone over at another forum also posted an interesting review of the characters from E for all (or whatever it was called with that demo)

Ok get ready for lots of impressions. I'll try not to get too explanation trigger happy.

Overall - Its an upgrade of Melee, which is pretty much what we want so in other words its coming together very well. It sounds like its going to have some great music.

Characters.

Mario - He's Mario, not much to say. His FS is basic but really powerful. If you're caught in the fire blast you're basically dead.

Pikachu - Pikachu seems similar too. Really not much to say. His FS is powerful but its kind of easy to avoid and block. Very few Pikachu's ever did well.

Donkey Kong - I never saw a single person use him, ever.

Peach - She's as annoying as ever and I feel like the umbrella makes you float even more. Her FS I know is controvertial but if it really does change with moods I think it goes with her intentionally irritating style pretty well.

Fox - God people are such whiners. He was not nerfed -that- much. In fact he's still very good. He feels balanced. Landmaster Tank is a fun as well FS.

Samus - The Missile got boosted a bit, it goes much faster now though it starts slow. Okay her FS is pretty awesome, it does much more damage in game than videos make it look and its very impressive looking. When she turns into...

Zero Suit Samus - She becomes a total stun/bitch hit tactic keep away character. She's pretty much as she should be I think, a survivor. She's swift but she feels nothing like Sheik so she's definitely not the "new Sheik". Her style is quite different. When she gets a smash ball her armor comes back and when it does a shockwave comes out and damages everyone around her. Its pretty decent itself.

The system may turn out to be kind of a novelty I think but its really fun.

Yoshi - Bread and Butter Yoshi. Even his FS where he grows Angel wings and shoots fire is kind of plain, but its effective.

Metaknight - Cheapness in a bottle. He is soooooooo cheap. He can do the thing Kirby used to do in SSB where Final Cutter can act as a Meteor Smash. He swipes so fast too that its hard to do anything. I saw a lot of cheap deaths thanks to him. He floats pretty well too. However to make up for it I think he has the most underwhelming FS of them all so far. It looks epic at first but it ends up being just one big giant slash. Is ok...but its not very impressive.

Ike - As I said Ike is a monster. He is really good. He has noticable startup time for his smashes, which is good because if he had Marth like strike speed he'd easilly be broken. Everything else Ike does is extremely damaging, and he has insane priority and reach. A lot of his moves swipe in huge arcs. His speed is also decent and his Final Smash is awesome. Swipes, and if the swipe connects to an opponent he knocks them in the air and does a pretty epic looking auto combo. Camera even pans out to show it. Big screen sized slashes. Afterwards he does one final strike right down to the ground again with the opponent, anyone who's in the way of it gets sent flying too.

Think of Omnislash but with lots of fire. Its a really good FS. Oh and he does have counter too. His Up B is a combination of Dolphin Slash and Final Cutter...he throws the sword up then jumps up to catch it then comes down again. As a recovery it takes some getting used to.

Pit - Pit is excellent. He is such a parasite to get rid of because his floating ability is superb. Those arrows are annoying as fuck, and when someone knew how to use him his attacks were very swift and flowy. His FS is as epic in the game as it looks in the shots, and its very very powerful and effective. Its my favorite so far.

Sonic - Oh man...Sonic is deceptively fast. He starts out decently speedy and swift, but if you run or do a spinattack that changes in an instant and suddenly you're going almost too fast. He can run across Eldin Bridge in literally 4 seconds, his running is that fast. I killed myself a lot with him because it takes some getting used to but I think he has a lot of potential. People already started getting good with him.

He can predictably chase down smash balls with ease so expect to see Super Sonic a lot. Super Sonic is pretty good too. Not an apocalyptic move but it'll shake things up.

Link - Shadow Link color is awesome. Black clothes and they even got the red glowing eyes. Anyways he's same old Link but he feels a little less clunky and a bit speedier. Still a lockjaw as far as thats concerned but its noticable. Can't say I know much else about him but his Final Smash is pretty cool. You've all seen it by now. How it ends after the combo is he slashes across a good deal of the screen. Anything in the way takes damage.

The new Boomerang is really fun too, I bet people are going to get really creative with it.

Diddy - He's quite fun to use. Not too much experience from me personally but many others used him. He seems like a good beginner character because he's speedy but solid. His FS is like Sonic's, not apocalyptic but its solid.

Bowser - He'll still need practice but I feel like his mechanics were retweaked a bit. He seems the same but he landed hits a bit easier so I think his special move startup speed got a bit of a boost. Doing Koopa Twirl near an enemy does a lot more damage and knock-off than before. Koopa Klaw is his coolest new feature. It catches a bit easier, and instead of that wussy bite/shoulder he does a full blown spinning piledriver. Its very impressive looking and it can be followed up with another move it looks like. I need to play him more to see how he turns out.

Giga Bowser is really really impressive when playing with a crowd. If he flicks you it sends you flying, he's that powerful. But the problem is even catching the opponents, I think it'll take practice too but its very fun.

Stages

Norfair - Think Brinstar but the "lava" comes from the sides as well, and one big wave comes and a small little safety section appears you can go into (complete with Metroid doors.)

Bridge of Eldin - Long. Middle breaks and rebuilds at random. Thats pretty much it. Pretty

Del Fino - Its like a less chaotic Rainbow Cruise. Its decent.

Animal Crossing - Kind of a plain stage gameplay wise, it'll probably be more of a novelty stage thanks to the day/night thing.

Castle Siege - Its three stages that switch back and fourth. Its decent but the music sounds -godly-. Its Fire Emblem after all.

The Halberd - Very exciting stage. It amy seem like one platform but it changes as the ship comes around and you board it. The music sounds pretty nice.

Big Laser comes out and shoots a targetted opponent. I bet this would be a fun stage to fire Samus' FS.

Lylat Cruise - Its pretty plain. The background looks cool, thats kind of it.

Pokemon Stadium - Looks almost exactly as it did in Melee, the stuff on the arena just changes to new environments.

All the characters have intro animations again!

Also for those who might care I don't remember if he mentioned it since the whole board is tired of the discussion about it but for those of you who like to wave dash, say byebye to it cause it's no longer in the game.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 am UTC

Not much of a loss. I'm liking the Ike review. <3 Ike now.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:23 am UTC

I can't wait to be an asshole and pick Metaknight EVERY TIME.

I think Online play should be the most exciting thing, although there's no way I'd do any good in any Tourneys, I reckon I could make maybe one round with the best though(Dumb hope...?)

Or am I being unrealistically optimistic on that front?

There IS online play... right?
I'm SURE I heard that somewhere...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:41 pm UTC

I'm sure they'll balance it.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Pause

Postby Pause » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:There IS online play... right?
I'm SURE I heard that somewhere...

Yeah, don't worry, it's in.

Just VS and home run contest confirmed so far, but I'm hoping the adventure mode will be included too. Oh, and you can send the photos you take in snapshot mode to people on your friends list. Er, should you want to.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:30 am UTC

Whew.
Wow, A Pictochat level...

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:36 am UTC

Wooo DeDeDe, I look forward to trying him out, even though he's a heavyweight.

(that pictochat looked pretty awesome too, but I suspect the novelty will eventually wear off and become irritating fairly quick)

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:14 am UTC

:!:
Stage Builder

That's it, I'll be playing this game for the rest of my life.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:21 am UTC

Durinthal wrote::!:
Stage Builder

That's it, I'll be playing this game for the rest of my life.

Oh.. my... fucking... god...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:19 am UTC

Hey that's pretty neat, especially the sharing part.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:09 am UTC

Nintendo are trying to kill me! I'll never be able to move from my seat! Damn you Shigeru Miyamoto!
Daaaaaaaamn yooooou!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

I've already played Melee forever...

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:41 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:Nintendo are trying to kill me! I'll never be able to move from my seat! Damn you Shigeru Miyamoto!
Daaaaaaaamn yooooou!

If you want to get technical Masahiro Sakurai is the person developing this game not Miyamoto, I don't think he even has a hand in it much less a finger. (Although maybe he does since he tends to have some creative control in a lot of the games Nintendo makes).

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:34 am UTC

Oh by the way, today's update is the Single Player Classic Mode:

I'm kind of disappointed that they returned it to having a static order in what series appear when. I'm tired of Link being the first fight, it always makes him seem so lame. :(

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:02 am UTC

lorenith wrote:
Maseiken wrote:Nintendo are trying to kill me! I'll never be able to move from my seat! Damn you Shigeru Miyamoto!
Daaaaaaaamn yooooou!

If you want to get technical Masahiro Sakurai is the person developing this game not Miyamoto, I don't think he even has a hand in it much less a finger. (Although maybe he does since he tends to have some creative control in a lot of the games Nintendo makes).

That was more a realisation of the tter control Nintendo in general has over me, Miyamoto holds more responisibility in that field than anyone else.
(Metroid AND Zelda?! COME ON MAN!)

Also
Teh Webzorz wrote:he world you fight in is pretty much determined based on stage number. Stage 1 is based on The Legend of Zelda. Stage 3 is based on Pokémon. And each time, the characters are chosen randomly.

The level is preset, not the opponent.

Also Also, I hope coins have more use this time around, Trophies didn't really do it for me...

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:The level is preset, not the opponent.

Also, I hope coins have more use this time around, Trophies didn't really do it for me...

I'm just saying, I'm tired of the Zelda series being the first to prey upon. :(

And I loved the trophies, then again, I played enough to buy every trophy, and build up to 999 coins. :D

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:56 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:
lorenith wrote:
Maseiken wrote:(Metroid AND Zelda?! COME ON MAN!)

Dude, Metroid was entirely conceived by Hiroshi Yamauchi. I think you should have put "Mario" instead. Miyamoto is responsible for Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Donkey Kong (I think later characters were added by Rare, really), Animal Crossing, Nintendogs and that's all I can think of right now. In any case, he created a lot of the characters who will feature in this, but I'm not certain myself what his creative contribution will be to Smash itself.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:44 pm UTC

Shadic wrote:
And I loved the trophies, then again, I played enough to buy every trophy, and build up to 999 coins. :D

you're not alone...

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:52 pm UTC

Morphing Ball wrote:
Maseiken wrote:
lorenith wrote:
Maseiken wrote:(Metroid AND Zelda?! COME ON MAN!)

Dude, Metroid was entirely conceived by Hiroshi Yamauchi. I think you should have put "Mario" instead. Miyamoto is responsible for Mario, Zelda, Star Fox, Donkey Kong (I think later characters were added by Rare, really), Animal Crossing, Nintendogs and that's all I can think of right now. In any case, he created a lot of the characters who will feature in this, but I'm not certain myself what his creative contribution will be to Smash itself.

I could have SWORN Miyamoto did Metroid.
Meh, I guess I need to bone up on my nintendo lore.

*Clears throat* Nintendo was founded in 1880 (I think) and spent most of it's early years as a Playing card company.
*Some other stuff, how Atari tried to screw them over, The nintendo mark of quality, blah blah blah, some other stuff... Ummm... Sports... team?*

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:32 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:*Clears throat* Nintendo was founded in 1880 (I think) and spent most of it's early years as a Playing card company.

Hanafuda cards! I've never owned a deck but I want one just because they're responsible for the birth of Nintendo.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:17 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:I can't wait to be an asshole and pick Metaknight EVERY TIME.

Agreed, seeing as how Meteor Smashing is my favorite technique. Most uttered phrases when I play:

"What the fuck, I was almost back on the platform, you prick!"
"Oh fuck, not again."
"Fuck Kirby"

roflmao, I can't wait to play with Samus. She sounds a lot more fun than she was, plus the whole suit off-suit on thing is cool as hell.

EDIT: Oh yeah

SUPER SONIC FOR THE WIN

I can't believe they made Sonic's FS Super Sonic. That's so fucking awesome, words don't describe it. The theme from SA1 better play EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

Meteor smashing actually isn't that good. A lot of characters have a more simple spike (Falco and Marth for example,) that can kill at amazingly low percentages. You can meteor-cancel the meteor-smashes if you have good enough timing (Try doing Captain Falcon's D-Air spike on a high level NPC, good chance they're jump right out of it.)

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:14 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:I could have SWORN Miyamoto did Metroid.
Meh, I guess I need to bone up on my nintendo lore.

Just remember that while Mr. Miyamoto is an amazing game designer and the head of that area at Nintendo, and sometimes even works with 2nd party developers (Ex. DKC), he isn't the end all and say all of Nintendo Franchises though. :3

You want some Nintendo trivia, they own the Seattle baseball team, (or they did at some point maybe not anymore :P).

That all said he was a producer for smash bros 64 and melee, and probably had some level of influence, but I'm betting it wasn't a lot.

Vekter

Postby Vekter » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

Shadic wrote:Meteor smashing actually isn't that good. A lot of characters have a more simple spike (Falco and Marth for example,) that can kill at amazingly low percentages. You can meteor-cancel the meteor-smashes if you have good enough timing (Try doing Captain Falcon's D-Air spike on a high level NPC, good chance they're jump right out of it.)

Well, yeah, but my friends suck, so it's funny to watch them get close, then smack the hell out of them.

I am GODLIKE with Cap'n Falcon's spike. I get canceled a lot when using it, but nothing's funnier than spiking someone off right as they almost get on the platform. :lol:

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Vekter wrote:Well, yeah, but my friends suck, so it's funny to watch them get close, then smack the hell out of them.

I am GODLIKE with Cap'n Falcon's spike. I get canceled a lot when using it, but nothing's funnier than spiking someone off right as they almost get on the platform. :lol:

True, Falcon is one of my main characters (I'm not even that good with him though, I think I'm better with Link, Mario, Fox, maybe even Ganondorf,) but Falcon is a fun character to play. Especially when 90% of the moves you need to know are the DAir and The Knee.

Oh, and Pink + White Falcon for the win.

Zuntrios
Location: Currently buried in the latest game I'm programming.

Postby Zuntrios » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 pm UTC

THE FOOT beats THE KNEE anyday, though.
Algebra has been around for a very long time now, so why on Earth is x still unknown?!

lorenith

Postby lorenith » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:11 pm UTC

Yeah but the knee has more entertainment value. :lol:

WolfShirts

Postby WolfShirts » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:08 pm UTC

I'm really worried about how the Ice Climbers will come out of the Brawl touch-ups. And if they get rid of Game and Watch's taunt... =/
Less sass. More blasts.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:06 am UTC

Hrmmm... Not sure about MK's FS.

Vekter

Postby Vekter » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

Look, I'm just gonna ask, since I can't get to youtube from the school.

What the FUCK is The Knee?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

That probably refers to Captain Falcon's forward air.

I've kneed an Arwing laser head on with that attack, and not been hit at all.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Philomid
Location: Out proving Einstein's theory of relativity wrong. Be back in seven years. I think...

Postby Philomid » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:41 am UTC

Donkey Kong - I never saw a single person use him, ever.

A good friend of mine mains DK, and he kicks ass. I play Ganondorf, and I only have one question:
At the end of matches, he flaunts that testosterone-heavy giant sword of his, yet he can't use it?!?
WTF? Are the game designers trying to make me cry myself to sleep every night?

I want teh sword...

Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:"Dude... We've dreamed of shit like this, plans to escape, what we'd do if it were to happen.. and it did. Don't you get it? We're fucking nerds."

Lord Bob

Postby Lord Bob » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:15 pm UTC

Yeah, that's kind of cruel of them.
Damn, I thought it was only surrounded by 14 mines...

Hench
Porn, hence, Man

Postby Hench » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:17 pm UTC

Hopefully in Brawl they'll give him his own moveset, involving the sword.
Spoiler:
Your perceptions will not change reality, but simply color it.

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:34 pm UTC

I use Jigglypuff very effectively, I play on semi-pro level... do not walk up to me without intent to die.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:45 pm UTC

I think I'm pretty great at Samus, but whenever I've entered tournaments I've found myself knocked out in the first round. Bah.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Sheik returns, and now the Pikmin are in on it too, but we have another delay. At least I'll be done with my senior thesis by the time I'll get my hands on it.

tzar1990

Postby tzar1990 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:43 am UTC

In case you haven't already heard, a screw-up on what I believe was wii.com recently unveiled 2 returning veterans and a new character by accident: Jigglypuff, Ness, and Lucario. You can find a pic containing Lucario and Jigglypuff at http://www.serebii.net, but you'll have to use youtube or google to find the pic of Ness (it's the same video as the other two, but a few seconds later.)
The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~Eden Phillpotts, A Shadow Passes

Return to “Gaming”