The Secret World

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

You, sir, name?

The Secret World

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

The Secret World. Couldn't find a thread. It needs a thread.

New MMO, to be released very soon, directed by Ragnar Tornquist (The Longest Journey, etc.). Apparently promises to not yet another WoW clone (none of the whole RPG thing with levels and classes), and with primarily story driven gameplay.

Here's TotalBiscuit playing the beta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKv9Mjl6x2c

I'm stoked.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Re: The Secret World

Postby Xeio » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

I think I have a spare key for the final beta this weekend if someone wants it.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

Yup, I have a spare one too if anyone wants.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

I'm so excited for this. Reaaaaaaally badly want to play it.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:14 am UTC

I'm hoping it delivers on the promise of level-less but still compelling play. I've heard almost nothing about the game though other than an Origin promo and looking into it myself though, so I have no idea what to really expect.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Played a bit on the beta weekend and at PAX. There is absolutely nothing about this game I find terribly compelling. I'm curious to see how it pans out though.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:09 am UTC

Xeio wrote:I'm hoping it delivers on the promise of level-less but still compelling play. I've heard almost nothing about the game though other than an Origin promo and looking into it myself though, so I have no idea what to really expect.

Read a cool article in Games about it a while back and really just want to have a go. I love Ragnar's game-writing, so this intrigues me a lot.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:11 pm UTC

For anyone interested there's an open beta this weekend for anyone who registers (scroll down, right hand side, sign up for the beta).
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:For anyone interested there's an open beta this weekend for anyone who registers (scroll down, right hand side, sign up for the beta).

I want to play it NOW!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

Oh my gods I LOVE it. I'm not sold on the combat yet, but I don't care. I love the writing, I love the fiction and the lore and I love all the RP possibilities I feel like I have here. If I can find myself a solid group of roleplayers who're interested in the same way I am then I am set for life with this game.

I'mma be on Fenrir (and am EU, if that has an effect in this game) so any sexy RP'ers should join me there.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:27 am UTC

Webpage no worky?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:15 am UTC

Seems to be down for maintenance at this point.

lutzj

Postby lutzj » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:17 am UTC

6 character minimum on usernames makes lutzj a sad panda.
addams wrote:I'm not a bot.
That is what a bot would type.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:05 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Seems to be down for maintenance at this point.

If "down for maintenance" means "spews a whole bunch of date errors when I try to give it my age, as if the people coding it where drunken monkeys who hit random keys until it worked in their one particular case, and said ship it"?

Not that I'm saying that is who wrote their webpage.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

I want this to succeed, not for any part on its own, but its failure will pretty much ensure a Funcom bankruptcy, which pretty much would ensure that I never get an ending to Dreamfall.

...Why am I even still hoping for that at this point?
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:26 am UTC

I don't think this game will go down very well with the MMO crowd (as it requires you to use your brain), but it has great potential to attract a wider audience.

Anyway, I just put down a lifetime subscription, because I've had an absolute blast playing the beta, and have more money than sense.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:I don't think this game will go down very well with the MMO crowd (as it requires you to use your brain), but it has great potential to attract a wider audience.

Can you elaborate on that? What about the game requires you to use your brain that isn't present in other games?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

webzter_again

Postby webzter_again » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

I think I might have a beta key somewhere. However, after being a part of Age of Conan (Funcom's last MMO) from launch through a few months ago, I will not touch this game.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:I don't think this game will go down very well with the MMO crowd (as it requires you to use your brain), but it has great potential to attract a wider audience.

Can you elaborate on that? What about the game requires you to use your brain that isn't present in other games?

Missions that don't feed you every single detail, and require you to pay attention to the world around you. I've only experienced the lowest of that so far (Having to figure out a code without the code being specifically told to me) but I believe the idea is that some of these are intended to require huge collaborations to finally figure out.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

Right, some of the greater puzzle lines are being advertised as requiring huge collaborations, but what about individual game play/strategy? How is it different/better than other games?

I'm not being critical, I'm wondering if the story meanderings/arcs are sufficient to hold up the game; my impression playing the beta a bit is that it's absolutely identical to every unpolished new MMO ever released, except there are no classes and you can mix and match abilities.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:28 pm UTC

Those are my impressions as well, especially since they haven't opened any of the big 'investigation' missions in the beta, so we can't judge if they're any good or not. I'm giving this game a punt simply because the gameplay doesn't offend me, and Tornquist's writing is enjoyable enough for me to want to see more of it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:43 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:m giving this game a punt simply because the gameplay doesn't offend me, and Tornquist's writing is enjoyable enough for me to want to see more of it.

"Mmm, these pancakes are BAD". The above bolded does not mean the same thing to me as it does to you :D

I'm curious to see how the game pans out and what kind of reviews it gets. It does have a couple cool things going for it, but in the last couple of years, every MMO that's come out that I felt had a 'couple cool things going for it' have completely fallen flat.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

I'll take a beta key.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:26 am UTC

Yakk wrote:I'll take a beta key.

Beta is over.

Izawwlgood wrote:

The quest objects aren't always entirely obvious. An early quest looks like this

* Goal: Hack into Dr Whatsherface's computer
For her password, you find the hints "Something about four seasons" and "1725", and an unrelated picture talking about Dr Whatsherface's favorite composer. If you're into classical music, you can probably guess the answer. Otherwise, you need to do research on google.

It tends to not give you the exact thing you need to do, but a more general description. If you're to look for something, you're given an area to look in. No huge glowing arrow pointing to the objective. You need to actually search. Or you can be given an objective like "Attach an I.E.D. to an abandoned scooter and blow it up to kill umpteen zombies", and then you need to look for an abandoned scooter. It doesn't need to be a particular one, any of the abandoned scooters in town will work. Overall, there's more problem solving in this game than in any other MMO I've played combined.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:55 am UTC

Ooh. Because I lifetimed, I'll get in *earlier* than early access.

And get a snakeskin jacket, you know... to represent a symbol of my individuality, and my belief in personal freedom.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:00 pm UTC

I do not have the money or the confidence to lifetime.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:30 am UTC

I can never be arsed to unsub from MMOs. Still have my SWTOR subscription ticking, and I only played that like a month. So lifetiming pays off for me.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:38 am UTC

I pre-ordered today. A thing to note about the lifetime subs is that there have been numerous mmos that move to f2p before their lifetime sub would have paid off if you got it day 1. And often with 0 compensation.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:52 am UTC

I make money I simply don't know what to do with. Enough to buy around 4 lifetime subs to TSW a month. And on top of that income, I got a $350/mo raise last week, and $1500 back on taxes. I can't very well go around saving it all for a rainy day, because that would be all mature and responsible and shit.

So yeah, even if it doesn't pay off, I won't be mad. I got a novelty snakeskin jacket for my avatars. That means I can be annoying and drop Sailor Ripley quotes all the time.
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:03 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 am UTC

I'll take some off your hands if you need. :P My school costs my hourly rate every 5 minutes. :D

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

This article puts into words very well what I've been trying to say about the game.

It's so different from conventional MMOs that a lot of MMO-players simply won't understand it. Especially important is this point:
H) The end game starts the moment you step into the first zone. Literally. The entire game is end game. There is zero "rush to max level" drive in this game. There is zero sense of "the fun starts later". If you are rushing to max level, you are missing the entire point of this game's design. There is no hurry to get anywhere, or to leave the starter zone (Kingsmouth) as soon as possible. Instead, you are far better served to find and beat every single mission you can find in a zone at least once before moving on. To explore every zone's nooks and crannies to acquire every possible lore item hidden around.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:14 pm UTC

So you get xp, new abilities, new items? Or is the whole game unlocking more of the Great Puzzle?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So you get xp, new abilities, new items? Or is the whole game unlocking more of the Great Puzzle?

XP gives you SP and AP. SP unlocks and (slightly) boosts weapon and equipment-types.

AP gives you abilities, but abilities beyond the early game does not make you stronger, but more versatile: You can only equip 7 active and 7 passive abilities out of ... I think around 500 abilities, so you get this sort of trading card-esque quality where you choose an appropriate set-up for the circumstance.

Doing quests grant you items. And item progression is the only real way you become stronger (but items are limited by SP, which is bound by XP).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

Curious, so like a classless Guild Wars. Is there a lot of pvp?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:40 pm UTC

The game seems more PvE-oriented* than PvP-oriented, but that being said, I never tried PvP during the beta, so I wouldn't know.

* and does PvE better than many single player games.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/blog_single_server_technology_in_the_secret_world

That probably isn't really "new" news, but I didn't realize it till now. I was sort of sad when I had to pick a 'dimension' during the beta, but this is much better. :mrgreen:

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

Fuckbats, that is a fantastic way of doing things.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:02 pm UTC

So, what server is everyone creating on? I guess it doesn't matter as much for general party play, but Warzones are still server-specific.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:08 pm UTC

I was a little skeptical at first, but this does look really awesome. I'm losing interest in other games at the moment, so if anyone sets up an xkcd cabal I'll join.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:20 pm UTC

I'm gonna be on Arcadia, look up Mag-Ten if you want to hang with me.

Return to “Gaming”