Recommend a headset for me

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mitch1423

Recommend a headset for me

Postby mitch1423 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

Okay so I have a headset for playing various games, but it hurts my ears if I keep it on for more than a few minutes. I've tried adjusting the size of it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. What would be a good headset for me? My budget is around $100 dollars, but for something exceptional I'd go $150. I'm not sure what other criteria to provide, so ask me questions if you want to know anything. Thanks to anyone who helps.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Re: Recommend a headset for me

Postby Jesse » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

SteelSeries Siberia. Don't know what kind of prices you're looking at in America, but there's cheaper SteelSeries if necessary. It's so incredibly lightweight. I've been able to fall asleep in bed with it on, forgetting it's there. Regularly wear them for over five hour stretches while commentating and they are just gorgeous. Best headset I've ever had.

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:51 am UTC

I use a Sennheiser headset. This is one of the cheaper ones, it's quite good, my only problem is that the insulation on the cord scraped off after getting pinched between the hardwood floor and non-rolling feet of my chair after a few months. I replaced that set with a new one and am trying to be more careful with the cord.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

I have the G930. 7.1 surround sound, which I find important in FPSs. They're very comfortable, though a bit heavy--I don't find the weight problematic, but YMMV. It's wireless, which is nice sometimes, but the signal has a tendency to drop (even though the receiver is literally two feet away) and turning them on and off is a big hassle. I might suggest going with the wired version, the G35, which is also obviously cheaper. The G930 was ~$110 on newegg.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

Just to note, Siberia also has 7.1 surround sound.

coronaadvances

Postby coronaadvances » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Sennheiser is a good choice

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:36 am UTC

if your headset is hurting your ears, it may just be the type of headset you're using rather than the specific set. what kind do you have? over-ear headphones are usually a bit more expensive, but are also usually more comfortable, since they don't pinch your ears flat against your head like on-ear headphones do.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Gellert1984

Postby Gellert1984 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

I have a G35, only 2 problems I have with them are that if I wear glasses with thick arms they crush into the side of my skull. Not a problem until I take them off and may be due to my weird shaped head. The other is a hum in the background when the mic is in the up and off position.

All in all I'm very happy with them, alot better than the cheap microsoft headset I had initially.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

I really like my Creative HS-1200. It's probably not the most high-quality sound, but it's good enough for my needs, and having a wireless headset when I'm doing serious gaming is unbelievably useful. It means I can wander off to get a drink or make myself a sandwich while staying on voicechat with my gaming friends / clanmates, (or while skyping with my friends / parents back in the UK). And it removes the constant danger of destroying the cord by wandering off without remembering to take it off.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

I had a Corsair HS1 for a while that I loved. However, it started developing some interference problems after a few months.

I chatted with corsair support about it and they couldn't figure out what was causing it, so they agreed to exchange it.

Sent my HS1 in, and a few days later received a Vengeance headset (a step up from the HS1). Despite the issue I had with my HS1, I can't recommend either of these options enough. They are more comfortable than any gaming headset I've tried before.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

Anyone try Astro A30's? I tried them at PAX East and they were super comfy albeit super expensive. However since I haven't tried many other headphones, I don't really have a basis for comparison.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Return to “Gaming”