FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

BoomFrog

Re: FTL - ohcrapshieldsaredown!

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:01 am UTC

setzer777 wrote:
Shivahn wrote:You can turn on "show beacon paths on hover." Why did nobody tell me that! that would've stopped several deaths where I thought I could make a jump but it wasn't there >.>

Thanks! That's really helpful.

I think I spend scrap on upgrades too quickly - I always end up seeing cool stuff in stores I can never afford.
How do you turn on the show beacon paths? It's not one of the options and I can't find any other settings to change.

As to saving scrap, after the basics (shield 2 bars, engine 3 or 4, power and weapons if useful) then I like to keep 50 scrap minimum and always check if there is a store next jump before I spend scrap.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:08 am UTC

I've been playing Rock Type B almost exclusively since I got it just because I want to be using that ship when I finally find the Crystal one, just for an achievement. 100 tries later, still nothing (Well, except for unlocking every other ship in the game minus Slug crusier). I've gotten to 5500~ ish score on Normal and have learned some neat tricks, though.

Fun fact: Rockmen are WAY better boarders than Mantis when a fire bomb gets thrown into the mix; Not only will fire damage swing fights tremendously in their favour, but it will continue to damage systems even when your boarders are occupied with enemy crew.

I got "BOARDING OBJECTIVE SUCCESSFUL" achievement by lighting a room on fire and putting Rockmen in there. Enemies flee fire when they are low on health (even if there is no Medbay to run to), but they will continue to look for people to fight in non-hazardous environments; Like a boarding drone on the other side of the ship.

Re Beacon Paths; It was added in a recent patch. Steam versions are updated automatically, other versions will need to be manually patched.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:48 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
setzer777 wrote:
Shivahn wrote:You can turn on "show beacon paths on hover." Why did nobody tell me that! that would've stopped several deaths where I thought I could make a jump but it wasn't there >.>

Thanks! That's really helpful.

I think I spend scrap on upgrades too quickly - I always end up seeing cool stuff in stores I can never afford.
How do you turn on the show beacon paths? It's not one of the options and I can't find any other settings to change.

As to saving scrap, after the basics (shield 2 bars, engine 3 or 4, power and weapons if useful) then I like to keep 50 scrap minimum and always check if there is a store next jump before I spend scrap.

It should be option six: "Show beacon paths on hover." That's where it is for me.

I actually tend to hoard scrap in later areas. I will have over a hundred on hand, and then when it looks like I'm gonna go over like 150, I will upgrade something big (like two shields and some reactor) and still have some left over. I don't actually buy much from stores though - I roll with what I have, only counting on stores to provide systems. Don't forget to sell stuff - and I think you keep more weapons if you board, as well as scrap, so whenever I get the chance I suffocate/murder my opponents.

I usually only buy store weapons if there is a specific type of thing that would fit well with my layout, and then I usually go hunting for it specifically.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:42 am UTC

Finally beat it (on easy) for the first time! Got a Burst III laser early on, and later I had cloaking, 3 anti-ship drones I could launch simultaneously, and a handy ion bomb. Tore up the flagship easily enough (those missile barrages are scary though). Thanks to the three drones I opened up Engi B and the Federation cruiser.
Last edited by setzer777 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:28 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:17 am UTC

That sounds like an absolutely brutal setup. I can't imagine much of anything lasting very long against that.

I just died in the Federation Cruiser on sector seven because I had like no points in weapons. But I was rich as shit and upgrading everything else >.>

The fire+rock boarding party is absolutely brutal. Fire bomb to the medbay, teleport in. The medbay will provide like two seconds of healing, if that, before it's gone. Then if you have upgraded sensors, firebomb wherever people are hanging out. Welcome to my barbeque.

That was how I got all my insane amounts of money, incidentally. Almost every ship I fought ended with no crew and half the place on fire.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:12 am UTC

I actually found going for the shield room to be better, the medbay can't help fast enough to matter, getting the shields down lets you use lasers to take out the weapons (and medbay) and a four square room means more fire. Actually in retrospect I might just go for the weapons room first. You only really need one firebomb if you've also got lasers.

Eliminating crew definitely results in more fuel, scrap and intact loot which is probably why you don't feel the need to buy stuff in stores.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

Yeah, I too don't really use away teams to assault med bays. One of my favorite things to do is to drop a hull bomb into the med bay when enemy crew are healing.

And yes, the difference in rewards between ships you blow up and ships you defeat the crew is... extremely imbalanced.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:57 am UTC

Make sure to wait for that moment when the cockpit door opens. No pilot at the helm means your bomb always hits the medbay at that perfectly bad time. It's odd that you can still see enemy doors open even when you don't have sensors like on the Mantis ship.

Trying to take a ship intact is at least 50% of my fun in the game at this point, I think that harder target for an extra reward level is important. Unless you have dominating power you're always going to have some trouble taking a ship intact while sustaining minimal damage. I wish there were more challenges, like maybe the ships that immediately flee could do so faster, I've almost never had one escape on me. Btw, does sensors 3 let you see the FTL charge level?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:00 am UTC

I haven't experimented with this yet, so, figure I might get a faster answer here; what happens when you teleport 4 crew into a room that only accommodates 2?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:04 am UTC

I've never seen the FTL charge level when Sensors 3, so either I keep missing it somehow or it's impossible. It does reveal repair/damage progress though. But a huge shame it doesn't seem to function on the end boss ship.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:06 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I haven't experimented with this yet, so, figure I might get a faster answer here; what happens when you teleport 4 crew into a room that only accommodates 2?

Well, I have teleported two crew into a full room, and it just automatically puts them into a nearby empty position in another room. I don't know if the two crew members are guaranteed to be in the same room. If there are two unoccupied spaces that are in different rooms I imagine they would go there, probably with priority on the nearest empty tile. This could be a huge problem if you teleport your crew into a ship with upgraded doors. If a single boarder ends up in a room alone, he'd have to blast his way out or fight to the death.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

Confirming. After two playthroughs with Type B Mantis (looove the 4-crew teleporter) the second pair will always go into an adjacent room, together. Teleporting back will take two trips though, unless they all move into a 4-square room together.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:05 pm UTC

This basically sums up every run I do!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/ftldiary/
Come join us playing mafia signup here

philsov

Postby philsov » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:39 pm UTC

Oh man, that is awesome.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 am UTC

I've become pretty bored with the game, many of the ships are too easy to win with so I've invented a new self restriction. No pausing! It's been wonderfully hectic. Boarders turned from punching bags to serious threats. My own boarding is far more risky. Beams are much trickier to use as well. But most importantly it makes the game much faster. It used to take me hours to play one session due to all the micromanaging I did (and cutting oxygen each battle then refilling between was tedious too.) Now I'm done is an hour or less easily. Haven't won on "ironman" mode yet, but I'm getting there. The stealthship is a nightmare though...

New User

Postby New User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:03 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:cutting oxygen each battle then refilling between was tedious too.
I agree. I always thought it was odd, when a battle ends and the ship is no longer in danger (i.e. no asteroids, no solar flares) the teleporter cooldown goes away, and you can teleport your crew instantly back to your ship. Also, the FTL drive charges instantly. But the oxygen still crawls slowly back to 100%. It seems to me that it should also be instant if the ship is not in danger, maybe with the condition that all airlocks are closed and there are no hull breaches. Usually I get impatient and jump anyway if my oxygen is somewhere above 80%, but that can put me in a bad spot during the next battle.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:I've become pretty bored with the game, many of the ships are too easy to win with so I've invented a new self restriction. No pausing! It's been wonderfully hectic. Boarders turned from punching bags to serious threats. My own boarding is far more risky. Beams are much trickier to use as well. But most importantly it makes the game much faster. It used to take me hours to play one session due to all the micromanaging I did (and cutting oxygen each battle then refilling between was tedious too.) Now I'm done is an hour or less easily. Haven't won on "ironman" mode yet, but I'm getting there. The stealthship is a nightmare though...

I've started this one, with one exception - I'll open or close my doors in a pause. No other commands are to be issues - no power changes, no attacks, no cancelling attacks, etc. However, it's a goddamn spaceship and my doors can all open at once if I want.
Omni.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

Can't you just use the open-all and close-all buttons? Seems plausible that it would take longer to make specific sets of doors open.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:22 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Can't you just use the open-all and close-all buttons? Seems plausible that it would take longer to make specific sets of doors open.

Well, I'm assuming the idea is to drain all non-actively monitored rooms of Oxygen to prevent fires and cause minor damage to transporting attackers. The problem with Open All and Close All is that Open All opens all interior doors (and the second click opens the exterior ones too) regardless of the room being actively crewed or not. So you'd still need to manually shut doors.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

I meant in terms of "it's unrealistic that I can't open all my doors at once on my spaceship". It seems reasonable that opening specific sets of doors would take more than a single press of a button.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Unless it's a common door opening configuration you often do. Or something that *could* be automated by a computer AI - Vent Oxygen from the room that's on fire button that opens a path to the airlock and opens the airlock. Those would be programmed in by the Engineer/Captain so as to do the common thing with one button press.

An uncommon one, though.. that would take time, yes. So I'm fine with a no-pause run pausing to do that, as it's something a captain would do if one of their tactics were "Vent Oxygen"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:41 pm UTC

True, but by that logic one could also program something like: "The instant shields are down fire beam weapon in a line designed to hit maximum number of rooms while still hitting weapons system."

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:43 pm UTC

Given that these are specifically challenge runs, designed to increase the fun of the game by increasing difficulty and hecticness, I don't think we really need to try and justify it. It's the future, you probably have an organomechanical AI/cloud of nanomachines on your ship *anyway* (if you're packing an Engi), so response times likely don't matter if we're being "realistic".
Last edited by Xanthir on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:53 pm UTC

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME. I'LL JUSTIFY WHAT I WANT!

setzer777 wrote:True, but by that logic one could also program something like: "The instant shields are down fire beam weapon in a line designed to hit maximum number of rooms while still hitting weapons system."

It's a lot easier to program a solution to a problem of 'optimal venting while not drowning crew or letting them catch fire' with a known set of rooms and constraints, and about twenty discrete room entitites, than it is to program something with unknown constraints that's continuous. Also the number of calculations you'd have to do would be a lot higher.

But yeah, ultimately, managing doors and stuff isn't much fun and I don't want to have to deal with it in real time.

(I'm allowed to start posts yelling at people and then end by conceding everything to them right?)

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:57 am UTC

Aftr reading in this thread I decided to buy it and started playing it on normal. I fear I'm not the greatest captain, so many have died, so many...
Edit: Well I reached tho boss, but only on easy. Though i barely survived the first round and had no chance in the second. And I stayed awake a bit too long.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

"Easy" is hard. "Normal" is very hard.

Even on "Easy" and with a lot of skill under your belt, it's still definitely possible to lose twenty dollars and my self respect due to the RNG not liking you (mostly due to you running into bad encounters and not being able to buy good weapons for your strategy).

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:18 pm UTC

Third boss phase and he was on 6 life... I should have used all my missiles in the first two phases, they are nice for disabling systems. And losing several crew members hurt too.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:08 am UTC

Im beginning to get annoyed that I haven't managed to finish this yet! Even on easy, but it is very addictive!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:19 am UTC

I could offer tips but I think the whole joy of the game is in figuring this stuff out. I kind of hate this thread because I don't really want to read it until after I've sucked the marrow from the game. If you want tips try describing a typical run.

On that note, I figured out a neat trick with drone recovery arm.
Spoiler:
If you use a hull repair drone and jump after it repairs two, you can recover the drone netting you two free hull points each jump.

Also got my first no-pause victory. Federation B with the starting duel laser and two burst IIs and an anti ship drone. It ripped things to shreds and importantly its attack plan was low maintenance.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:24 am UTC

Well I seem to be doing really well and then die in the penultimate sector/ against the boss. For reference at the moment I have mainly been playing as the zolton cruiser layout 1.

Questions I do have

Is it better to upgrade your engine for better evasion or shields?

In the thread its often mentioned that killing all the crew gains you more scrap but every time I try to do that I end up blowing up. Any general suggestions?

Also every boarding I have ever tried has gone wrong!

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 am UTC

tips for boarding: fire beam or fire bombs+rock boarders is a good combination

turn off autofire.

never board in an asteroid field.

keep your guys in rooms with only enough room for 2 people.

teleport them out when they get weak.

A good tactic can be to shoot out their weapons then tele your guys into the weapons room. that way they don't damage your shp while you kill their crew.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:26 am UTC

You forgot the important one. Destroy or disable their medbay, or they'll keep running off to get healed, and coming back to continue fighting.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

HungryHobo

Postby HungryHobo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:42 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:You forgot the important one. Destroy or disable their medbay, or they'll keep running off to get healed, and coming back to continue fighting.

few ships actually have a medbay.

but yes, if there is one it must be a priority.
Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish. Teach a man to fish, you give up your monopoly on fisheries.

philsov

Postby philsov » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

In the thread its often mentioned that killing all the crew gains you more scrap but every time I try to do that I end up blowing up. Any general suggestions?

Also every boarding I have ever tried has gone wrong!

For the like first 3 sectors, upgrade your ship minimally. Hoard your scrap for the teleporter and additional crew members. Zoltans make horrible boarders -- either Rock or Mantis if at all possible.

If no medbay is present, use weapons to damage enemy crew prior to boarding for a nice little edge.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

wam wrote:Is it better to upgrade your engine for better evasion or shields?

Shields, in the beginning. You'll want to upgrade them steadily, as having a full four shields at the end boss is pretty useful.

I usually start upgrading engines around sector 5, when I have spare scrap to burn. Having high engines is super useful when people start showing up with two missile weapons, etc.

You need to board, and as others have said, take out their weapons first. Every once in a while you can find a ship (certain small Rock ships have this configuration, I think) where the O2 is not connected to the rest of the ship. If you find one of these, feel free to just blow up the O2 and wait for the crew to asphyxiate.

Slightly cheesy protip for quick levelling in the early game:
Spoiler:
Upgrade to level 2 shields ASAP (only costs 50 scrap, or 90 if you want two more power bars to go with it). Find an enemy with weapons that can't pierce two shield bubbles (single laser, two lasers or weak burst laser, laser + beam). Power up your shields and engines to the max, make sure people are crewing both of them (and the bridge), and then go afk for 10-15 minutes.

Every time you dodge, both your captain and engines will get 1xp. Every time you *don't* dodge and have to recover a shield bubble, shields will get 1xp. With a 20% starting dodge (2 engine bars), all three positions will hit double-star at their job at around the same time.

This gives you a free +10% dodge (+5% each from the captain and engines), and increases your shield recovery from 10% to 30%.

If you've got a weak weapon on board that also won't pierce the enemy's shield, feel free to spend the time firing that at it, rather than afking. Every time a weapon starts charging, weapons gets 1xp. Hitting double-star increases weapon charge rate from 10% to 20%.

The benefit from doing this isn't *huge*, but it's noticeable, so I'm okay with exploiting it.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:05 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:having a full four shields at the end boss is pretty useful absolutely mandatory.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried this trick to upgrade weapon specialists, by having them just auto fire on a shield they can't overcome?

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:10 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:

You need to board, and as others have said, take out their weapons first. Every once in a while you can find a ship (certain small Rock ships have this configuration, I think) where the O2 is not connected to the rest of the ship. If you find one of these, feel free to just blow up the O2 and wait for the crew to asphyxiate.

It's a small slug ship. I don't think there are any others that do that.

Anyway, taking out their weapons depends on what they have. If it's more lasers than anything else, sometimes the shields can handle it. I usually hit until all missiles are down, then set the medbay on fire, then teleport rock people over to that room.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Out of curiosity, has anyone tried this trick to upgrade weapon specialists, by having them just auto fire on a shield they can't overcome?

Check the spoiler in my immediately prior post. I tend to double-star all four of the ship positions in the first sector or two.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:38 pm UTC

Derple, thanks! I'll give that a go

Return to “Gaming”