I'm tired of RPGs... I think.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

I'm tired of RPGs... I think.

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

As I posted in another thread before I realized it'd be better as it's own thread... I'm tired of the RPG cliches.

I'm tired of being the chosen one, I'm tired of having my family/world destroyed, I'm tired of generally having a pretty shitty begining where I encounter the final boss as he lays waste to whatever I liked just so I have a motivation to go kick his ass...

Where's the mercenary RPG? The one where the guy just wants to A - Have a castle, B - have troops to defend, C - have townsfolk and such to supply the castle/look over/lord over, D - have at least 100,000,000 Gold Covered Materia Duckett Dubloons Monies, or whatever they're using for currency?

Seriously.. where is that game, where the only real motivation is power? Sure, there's some evil wizard threatening some good kingdom, but why can I go kill the evil wizard, take his magic hookah, and then use it to hold the good kingdom hostage until they give me the princess as a bride plus a sweet set of armor or whatever? Where is that game?

Does it exist? Please tell me it exists.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

Megaman Legends, that Tronn Bonne game. And of course Splinter Cell: Double Agent.

The thing is that most RPGs can't survive that...I mean, most need some type of storyline. Although, it'd be interesting to take an RPG and make a prequel where you play the antagonist and learn how he/she got to where he/she was in the original game.

Cosmonaut Smut Peddler

Postby Cosmonaut Smut Peddler » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

Didn't Overlord just come out?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:18 pm UTC

Go play a good MUD and you can do that.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

Well... I have a Serenity RPG that I haven't been able to play, but I think that would have less saving the world and more making a living...
The Paranoia game I just played with OWijad, Jesster and a few others pretty much involved backstabbing your "friends"...

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

Where's the mercenary RPG?

Cyberpunk 2020.

Granted, it isn't *necessarily* as cuthroat and selfish as you say, but it can be.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Owijad
1000 posts and still no title

Postby Owijad » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:44 pm UTC

And Mount&Blade is sorta like that.
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold,
But if you lose, the devil gets your sould!

Memo

Postby Memo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:49 pm UTC

What about Sid Meier's Pirates and Uncharted Waters? In both you can be a millionaire, have tons of ships, be a pirate, etc.

Jericho

Postby Jericho » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

Cyberpunk 2020.

Granted, it isn't *necessarily* as cuthroat and selfish as you say, but it can be.

shadowrun. which is pretty much exactly that cutthroat unless you come down with a terminal case of conscience.

Memo

Postby Memo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

I almost forgot about Darklands. The player's only goal is to get famous. It has a semblance of a main plot (or mainly, enemies) but it's very, very open ended and you can continue playing after you defeat the 'final' boss. However, the interface can be quite cumbersome and it can be difficult to get used to it.

Sadly, I think there's no new games that offer that kind of openendness.

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

It's not cutthroat and selfish, but Planescape: Torment is pretty different in general, particularly since the goal is to get yourself killed.

Or play Dark Side in the first Knights of the Old Republic. yay, mass murder!

If you want an RPG which doesn't do much of that idiot plot stuff, go for Might and Magic VI (NOT Heroes!!!) You may need to slow down your computer to get this to run correctly (yes, it's that old)

Basically, you're a bunch of mercenaries. You're not neccicarily evil, but you're basically just going into dungeon X, Y, or Z, slaughtering everything inside, and then going and getting the monies for it.

Later on there's some gibberish about space aliens attacking the world and you have to stop them, but you can stop them and still be a horrific villain.

What I did in that game was be an absolute saint for most of it, being a good hero for hire who gives orphens candy and stuff. I got Master of Light Magic (the only way to do this is to have the Saintly reputation).

Then, because I wanted Master of Dark, I went into every town on the map and cast Armageddon (50 dmg to every creature on the map. Most peasants have about 5 hp.)

I literally killed every human being on the entire continent.

It was interesting.

I then got Master of Dark. :D
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:16 pm UTC

Jericho wrote:
Belial wrote:

Cyberpunk 2020.

shadowrun. which is pretty much exactly that cutthroat unless you come down with a terminal case of conscience.

Hahah. Shadowrun: Cyberpunk 2020, but with elves and indians.*

*Not to be interpreted as a slur against Shadowrun by any stretch of the imagination. I like Cyberpunk, I like elves, and I like indians. It all works out.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:23 pm UTC

Memo wrote:I almost forgot about Darklands.
I love games that I can install on my flash drive.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:19 pm UTC

Fallout one and two are good. Sure, you're the chosen one, but it's so open ended that you can end up doing whatever you want.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: I'm tired of RPGs... I think.

Postby mosc » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Seriously.. where is that game, where the only real motivation is power? Sure, there's some evil wizard threatening some good kingdom, but why can I go kill the evil wizard, take his magic hookah, and then use it to hold the good kingdom hostage until they give me the princess as a bride plus a sweet set of armor or whatever? Where is that game?

KOTOR
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

Brian wrote:Fallout one and two are good. Sure, you're the chosen one, but it's so open ended that you can end up doing whatever you want.

I was going to say Fallout actually. Kind of cliched beginning in both games, but it is pretty much as open ended as RPG's get.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

One of my housemates ran an evil DnD campaign, just to do something different. Oh, that reminds me of a DnD story *rushes over the to stories thread*

Okay, back. I also dug out the orginal NWN and started playing that (I missed out the first time around and I was bored) - you can be evil or just plain chaotic in that one. The assumption is that you either complete the quests because you're noble, or you complete the quests and then stab the quest givers after they've given you a reward and loot their corpses.
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:18 am UTC

I'm planning on running a Rifts campaign where the objective is assasinating a 6 year old boy.

Because his uncle paid you to.

He's also a cripple.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Devilsaur

Re: I'm tired of RPGs... I think.

Postby Devilsaur » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:31 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Seriously.. where is that game, where the only real motivation is power? Sure, there's some evil wizard threatening some good kingdom, but why can I go kill the evil wizard, take his magic hookah, and then use it to hold the good kingdom hostage until they give me the princess as a bride plus a sweet set of armor or whatever? Where is that game?

If you want an open ended Grand Theft Auto inspired power trip, try Oblivion or Fable. Or an MMO if you have a lot of time to kill. A lot.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:08 am UTC

My advice would be to go to a CompUSA or Best Buy and in the Value PC Software, find Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. If you go to some stores you can still get the bundle that includes the two expansions, Bloodmoon and Tribunal.

You will never be bored again.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:12 am UTC

Morrowind doesn't have *that* much replay value. And ST posted a few times in the Morrowind thread.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:47 am UTC

Owijad wrote:And Mount&Blade is sorta like that.
I love that game. Not exactly an rpg at the moment, but some really awesome action. Horse archers are awesome.

Verator

Postby Verator » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:51 am UTC

Fallout 3 isn't out yet, but it will be god when it is. God I say, GOD!!!!
other than that, both Knights of the Old Republic games are nice. On the topic of MMO's, well, there isn't really much RP existing on those anymore. It's like playing a game, where you're surrounded by a spambot hivemind. I don't know if it was mentioned, but Overlord is a great game.
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:06] Akira: but i want a penis ;_;
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:12] Mrcheesypants: let's face it, you aint below a 3 on a kingsley scale
[Wednesday January 02 20:41:36] Mrcheesypants: two sided dildos are like penises

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:07 pm UTC

Games I have played

Balder's Gate I (and expansion)
Arena
Daggerfall
Redguard
Morrowind
-And countless mods
Oblivion
-And countless mods
Ultima 1, 3, 4, 6-9
Mount&Blade
-8 or so mods for M&B to give it more of a point, like Last Days or the Paleolithic Mod
Castle of the Winds
Various Might and Magic games.. don't remember which ones, but I've got most of them..bought that collection thing they had a few years back...
Various MUDs
Only MMOs I've played are Ultima Online and World of Warcraft. While I wouldn't mind a freeserver for UO, I'm done with WoW.

While I've played Planescape:Torment, Balder's Gate II (and expansion), the Icewind Dale line and both Fallout games, for various reasons I stopped somewhat early in, and never got around to going back... maybe I'll just do that. I own KOTOR, but have yet to install it.

Overlord... like I said, played the demo, might pick it up when it hits the $20 bin.

Guess I'll fire up Darklands. There's a mod for M&B that's supposed to replicate it, and while I found the mod interesting, bits of it seemed broken and so forth, so I might just give the real one a go before I try it again.

Also, while I enjoy the hell out of Face-to-Face or Play-by-Post games, I'm either already involved in enough (PBP) or will not have the time (F2F) until after December to get back with my regular group.

Still, thanks for the suggestions.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:20 am UTC

Jagged Allience 1 and 2 are fun, if old. There more of a tactical turn based combat stratagy thing. But your mercs get experience and build skills, and you get paid by the job. Jobs like, kill everyone inside this building. I remember liking it a lot, but it's been a long time.

It seems there's more Jagged Allience games then I remember: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagged_Alliance

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:09 am UTC

not quite an RPG but what about dungeon keeper?
in ur beanz makin u eveel

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:59 am UTC

You needa play stuff like Seiken Densetsu 3 and Terranigma.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Morrowind doesn't have *that* much replay value. And ST posted a few times in the Morrowind thread.

Morrowind doesn't *need* replay value. There are so many incredible mods by now you could play for years and not be bored. You are the chosen one, but you can do pretty much everything you want...and if you can't, a mod will let you.

FACM

Postby FACM » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:11 pm UTC

At the moment, I haven't been in much of a mood to play games that really require effort on my part (especially MMOs and RPGs). The answer, surprisingly, has been arcade-style games. Specifically, Echoes by Binary Zoo and some older platformers. I can manage to put small chunks of time into them when I want without needing a dedicated block of time needed to progress (except for Metroid Prime 2. Needs more save points.)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:17 am UTC

Cosmonaut Smut Peddler wrote:Didn't Overlord just come out?

Yes, yes it did. And it doesn't get much better than slaughtering everyone in a town, going to your tower, and doing it all over again! :D

And it is also doesn't get better than being in the water so you can open up a passageway into the sewers with an army of blues, then getting jumped by a ton of zombies, wait, yes it does...

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:31 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:I'm planning on running a Rifts campaign where the objective is assasinating a 6 year old boy.

He's also a cripple.

That's going to be an insanely easy attack roll.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Return to “Gaming”