Games that aged well (Merge'd - Old Favorites)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

jobriath

Re: Games that aged well (Merge'd - Old Favorites)

Postby jobriath » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:35 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I was just thinking the other day how it was odd that it seems to have largely vanished; it is said to have been quite pivotal in the development of the first-person dungeon crawler. Even SunDog, the other major release of FTL Games, seems to be undergoing some sort of revival. Which version would you recommend?

I only played the original Dungeon Master (on the Atari), and I'd definitely recommend that to others. I recall my dad also played sequel Chaos Strikes Back, and similar game Eye of the Beholder. EotB certainly seemed to have a better storyline (i.e., a storyline) but I don't know if it's worth checking out on the strength of that.

One thing I will say is that if you do get a hold of DM (either emulated or cloned), consider also grabbing a map (google searches give several options). While earlier levels are reasonably easy to navigate, some of the puzzles later are absolutely fiendish. I recall one circular passage you had to navigate clockwise and anticlockwise several times in some obscure order so you could progress, but was never able to figure out how you were supposed to know this without a guide. And the spinner maze...

FLT also released Oids! Not sure if I'd recommend Oids to others, but it's certainly a nostalgia trip :D

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:45 pm UTC

If you like Eye of Beholder and those types of games, assuming you don't mind the Excuse Plot, try Dungeon Hack. Randomly generates a dungeon, based on whatever parameters you want (number of floors, how many monsters, undead monsters, etc), and just head on in.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:57 pm UTC

mosc wrote:This thread was supposed to be for recommending PC games to people that were old but should still be tried on their own merits. Not nostalgia, not console games. *Sigh*

It's been for all games for, like, three years now or something.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:13 pm UTC

Legend of Grimrock is a recent game in the vein of Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder. You can get it on Steam, I've heard it's pretty good (haven't played it myself).

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

Star Contol II is 20 years old and it's still the next best thing to actually having a superluminal spaceship. There's now an open source port of it called The Ur-Quan Masters.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:14 am UTC

What's even more amazing is that Star Control was originally based off code written over 50 years ago.

jules.LT

Postby jules.LT » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

I tried Ur-Quan Masters, but hated the controls, even with fights on automatic... I'd rather it was all text-based.

I'll repeat some things that have already been mentioned, because they deserve it:
- Nethack
- Diablo 2 (even though I'm hooked on Diablo 3 right now)
- Civ IV with or without the FFH mod
- Legend of Mana

I tried Shining Force again recently, but found it way too slow. I'd rather be playing Battle for Wesnoth.
Maybe Chrono Trigger will have aged better.

But the ones I regularly entice people into playing with me are arcade games:
- Super Puzzle Fighter 2
- Super Pang
- Metal Slug (all of them)
- Darkstalkers 2
Bertrand Russell wrote:Not to be absolutely certain is, I think, one of the essential things in rationality.
Richard Feynman & many others wrote:Keep an open mind – but not so open that your brain falls out

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:13 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:I think I've worked out the issues with Deus Ex!

Putting Gas Grenades next to alarms to immobilise and snipe 5 guards = good.

You can do so much more with gas grenades:

Throw one at the UNATCO wall right at the start of the first mission, receptionist opens the door in panic, enter UNATCO and be complimented for a job well done.

Throw one, stands over it as it rolls, clip through thin walls. This can skip most of Vanderberg.

Using two, scale any wall.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

Yeah, it's been ages since I played that game... need to go back and find all the stuff I missed. I'm betting there's a lot.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

So Steam had Anno 2070 half off or so. I never heard of it, checked it out. Saw someone earlier on this thread had said they liked that series. So I decided I'll try it out, something to hold me over until SimCity 5.

Steam is downloading at 6 mbs. Holy crap I'm not used to internet that fast. Although my cable company said I could get 15 mbs, I usually assume that's a blatant lie. Anyway, I've lived in DC, NY, and FL, but never got any speeds even remotely close to that. I'd consider a good day to be 1/2 mbs, and a lucky day 1.2 mbs.

Anyone play Freespace 2? The graphics have aged relatively well considering it's from 1999. Decent story, especially considering it's a space shooter, but more importantly most of the story unfolds during the game rather than in cutscenes. Oh, they have those with mission briefings, but more importantly, fail a mission 5 times and you get the option to skip.

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:40 pm UTC

Though I've liked games for a long while, I've only recently been able to look for games that I have missed during my childhood. Games that I remember seeing my friends play. Thus, I might not have a good sense of what ages well.
There have been older games that I have not found a good modern equivalent for such as:
Twinsen's Odyssey
Jazz Jackrabbit 2
Grim Fandango

Very different genres I know, but I think that these have aged well. And if they have been surpassed, I would like to know those games so that I may enjoy those too.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:47 pm UTC

Grim Fandango is considered an older game now.

Way to feel old, me.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

liveboy21

Postby liveboy21 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Well, I'm saying these games are old because they can't be played on current OS. I wish that weren't the case because I really want to play grim fandango.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:07 am UTC

poxic wrote:Grim Fandango is considered an older game now.

Way to feel old, me.
Yea, the easiest way to make me feel old is to say that a game is old or is a classic, and hope that I can remember buying the issue of PC Gamer/EGM/PSM/OPM/Computer Gaming World that contained a preview of said game. I'm tempted to list games this applies to, but I feel it would turn into a "who's older" contest where nobody wins.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:34 am UTC

liveboy21 wrote:I wish that weren't the case because I really want to play grim fandango.
But haven't you heard? ResidualVM reached its 0.1.0 milestone just recently; it seems the developers are now quite confident of its ability to let you play Grim Fandango wherever you please. Plus, some folks are working on highres replacement models.
http://residualvm.org/

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:23 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Anyone play Freespace 2? The graphics have aged relatively well considering it's from 1999. Decent story, especially considering it's a space shooter, but more importantly most of the story unfolds during the game rather than in cutscenes. Oh, they have those with mission briefings, but more importantly, fail a mission 5 times and you get the option to skip.
Yeah, FS2 is definitely that held up well, and its still got a pretty good community around it modding it and continuing to update the source code(it's a rare Open-source game).

A team actually completely transformed it into a BSG game using the open-source Freespace 2 engine, and its really really good. If you like FS at all I suggest you take a look, particularly if you like BSG.
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index. ... ic=81859.0
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Been going through some of my old games recently...

Ones that have aged well:
-Starcraft. This game seems immortal. There's so much depth of play, the game is balanced to a tee, and there's a still a significant community of eight-year old Koreans who will happily kick your ass online whenever you want.
-Civilization IV. The graphics are still pretty good, the AI is smart enough to be interesting, and the higher difficulty levels are pretty challenging, and there's lots of depth and strategy available.
-Heroes of Might and Magic II and III. Unlike other sequels, I think both of these games have actually kept pretty well. Heroes III, I think is probably the best in the series; it's a beautiful, well-balanced game with an interesting and fairly challenging AI. Heroes II is just fun to play, and has a great campaign.
-Super Mario World. This is a bit of a weird one. Somehow this game has picked up a huge, dedicated modding community, which has really revitalized it. The mods take advantage of the fact that they assume everyone is using emulators where you can save anywhere you want and fix your mistakes easily, so some of the mods are fiendishly, comically hard. Look up Kaizo Mario... Or download Lunar Magic and make your own mod.
-Ancient Domains of Mystery. My favourite rogue-like. Always entertaining to play, very challenging and great depth. The game developer has recently taken it updating it after many years of inactivity, adding a bunch of new content and fixing some persistent bugs.
-The Incredible Machine. This game is just hilarious.

Games that haven't aged as well as I expected:
-Warcraft II. If you've played anything more recent, the game's poor AI will stick out like a sore thumb. Units constantly get stuck everywhere, and the computer AIs are predictable and have really obvious flaws (like sending all of their workers without protection to try to use your mines if they run out). Haven't tried to play online, but single player was pretty disappointing. The problem that humans and orcs are almost exactly the same, except that the orcs have way better magic and are therefore much, much easier, doesn't help either.
-Civilization II. Sort of the same problems as Warcraft II. The newer games in the series fix a lot of the flaws in this one (granted, some of them introduce new ones), so compared to the newer games in the series, a lot of things in this just don't work out quite so well. The game's extremely crude diplomacy system makes it so every game is almost the same: Get a decent lead, all the computers ally against you and declare war constantly until you kill them all.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:26 pm UTC

Oh man, if you think the units in Warcraft II are identical.... try Warcraft I. The literal only differences are that the Spearorcs have one less square of range, the Demon doesn't have a ranged attack to the Water Element's lack of a melee attack, humans can heal and orcs raise dead. That's it. Everything else is pretty much a clone.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:33 pm UTC

liveboy21 wrote:I wish that weren't the case because I really want to play grim fandango.

I'm playing Grim Fandango (right now!) on Windows 7. Using this, this, and this.

Edit: As I'm here; anyone remember Blasto? That's aged well, simply because Phil Hartman's voice, like his legacy, is timeless.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:34 am UTC

I don't know what the hell a Blasto is, but I want to play it now.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:38 am UTC

Yes, please do! It's of the Earthworm Jim 3D mould, but was much better executed. I was going to suggest a Let's Play if you don't have a PlayStation or $85, but I generally forego such things, as I despise listening to peoples's voices, particularly if they think they are funny, which the only Let's Player on YouTube clearly does. As for Hartman's voice acting; it's like what Actor Troy McClure is to Blasto, Homer Simpson is to Earthworm Jim.

It's sort of aged badly as the graphics are so damn sparse by today's, or even 2001's, standards, but the controls are pleasant enough, and it's a good blast(-o!)
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Oh man, if you think the units in Warcraft II are identical.... try Warcraft I. The literal only differences are that the Spearorcs have one less square of range, the Demon doesn't have a ranged attack to the Water Element's lack of a melee attack, humans can heal and orcs raise dead. That's it. Everything else is pretty much a clone.

I'm pretty sure the orcs have a total invulnerability armor. That's kind of a big difference.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:21 pm UTC

Oh, right. And Invisibility for the humans.

OR you could save your magic for spells that were worth something (Healing and Raise Dead).

Return to “Gaming”