Far Cry 3

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

You, sir, name?

Far Cry 3

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

I discovered that I seem to have pre-ordered this game.

Played for about 4 hours so far, and I really like it. Kinda hard to describe. If Lost Cause is Saints Row 2, this is GTA IV.

It's survival horror. It's open world. There's some far cry in it (duh). There's some assassins' creed elements in it (climb towers to reveal the map, some quest designs are clearly lifted straight from AC) . It has crafting (and that works well). There's on one hand ammo conservation, but there's also "Hey! Here's a motherfucking flamethrower, go set shit on fire!"

Seems really well rounded. My only complaint is minor graphical bugs. The occasional object pop-in. Some low res textures. Oddly placed foliage. Also, it still looks worse than Crysis.

You also seem to inadvertently do more drugs than Walter Bishop. My character has been high as a kite on various substances three times in my four hours of gameplay.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Enokh

Re: Far Cry 3

Postby Enokh » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

This game is GREAT! Having a blast just running around and taking outposts. I haven't gotten very far, but the game feel very well polished. My only complaint is that the menus feel like they were very much designed for a controller. Not a huge issue, but I feel like it's very much designed for not navigating with strictly a mouse. And I figure if that's my only real complaint, then it's a pretty good game.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that the AI feels a little dumb with the "throw a rock and have the bad guys investigate" bit. It could have been done way better, but as is I led a guy a good ways from his encampment so I could stealth-kill him by throwing a chain of rocks.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:27 pm UTC

to be fair about the drugs thing, the first time it's not really your fault. I mean, nobody told you there would be hallucinogenic shrooms in that cave, right?
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

I was going to go for a super-stealthy approach as I find that, in most games, it's really hard to take a pure-stealth approach, and hard games are fun. But then I blew something up.

C4 and rocket launchers in all the places.

EDIT: So far, I actually really like the crafting. Though I'll be goddamned if I know where all the Tapir are hiding.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

I recall finding a herd (?) of them near a river somewhere, though I can't for the life of me remember anything else about it, except that there was also a tiger trying to kill me.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:09 pm UTC

Wtf? Use the map. Hunting grounds for different animal types are clearly marked with a silhouette of said animal. Go to the location marked on to the map and stalk around for a bit and you'll find them.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

I've yet to reveal an area where the Tapir hunting grounds are. Or I have, and I'm blind, but I seriously poured over the revealed sections of the map looking for it (I have a habit of overlooking things).

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

Non-plot spoiler:

Spoiler:
Bottom left corner of the revealed part of this map: http://i.imgur.com/cFqQy.jpg

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

Haha, thanks. Turns out I'm just a different kind of idiot: not knowing what a Tapir actually is, I glanced at the symbol and thought I saw something that looked similar to a bear, so I was looking at the map for that.

The face in the mirror is looking back at me with a lot of disappointment.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:30 pm UTC

"Goddamn it, where are the Tapir!"
"Did.. you look at your map? They're right there."
"Yes, I used the map, and I don't see Tapir on here at all! There's tigers, there's boars, there's crocodiles, there's nosebears, there's dingos.."
"Wait.. nose... do you know what a Tapir is?"
"It's a flightless bird, looks like it's wearing a tuxedo...right?"
"...... yeah. That's a Tapir all right. Go further south. They're all over the place. Right next to the Snipes."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

I got this game with my graphics card and downloaded it a few days ago but haven't gotten to actually playing it yet. By the sound of it I should get on that!
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:"Goddamn it, where are the Tapir!"
"Did.. you look at your map? They're right there."
"Yes, I used the map, and I don't see Tapir on here at all! There's tigers, there's boars, there's crocodiles, there's nosebears, there's dingos.."
"Wait.. nose... do you know what a Tapir is?"
"It's a flightless bird, looks like it's wearing a tuxedo...right?"
"...... yeah. That's a Tapir all right. Go further south. They're all over the place. Right next to the Snipes."

Yup, pretty much.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:30 am UTC

well, when *I* went there there were no tapir to be found. I thought I had gotten confused on what the symbol for them was.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:48 am UTC

You need to actually hunt at hunting grounds. They're not just gonna stand there. Usually they spawn after a while, a bit from the icon. Gotta stalk around a bit.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:50 am UTC

Well, this game had me until I ran into Heavies. That is easily my least favorite type of enemy in an FPS. Direct hits with an RPG should kill people.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

Get the takedown, then just sprint out from cover at them.
Omni.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Get the takedown, then just sprint out from cover at them.
Land mines are good too.

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

Trying to decide if I should get this for PC or PS3.... on the one hand, I prefer shooters with keyboard and mouse over console. On the other hand, my PC is getting a little long in the tooth...

How is FC3 vs. FC2 in terms of hardware requirements? My PC can handle FC2 pretty well. I've read the requirements online and they look pretty similar, but I'm curious what people are actually seeing in terms of performance.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:06 pm UTC

If you want max settings, you're looking at like a GTX670 or 680.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:08 am UTC

AMD Radeon 6870 runs all max but antialiasing (4x, not 8x)
Omni.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:03 am UTC

Thought max AA was TXAA.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

Eh, not certain. I know I have everything at max except AA, and AA is at 4x. Thought it went up to 8x.
Omni.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

Could also be nvidia-specific setting.

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:50 pm UTC

Well, got it for Xmas for the PS3 so the "PC vs. Console" question is moot.

So far liking it a lot. The addition of wildlife is interesting... nothing like being cornered a pack of dogs right after a firefight... I kind of like the crafting system, haven't gotten far along enough to decide how I like the skill system. Graphics are pretty sweet.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:16 am UTC

What. The. Hell.

Just found an Abstergo lab on the island.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

What? Where?
Omni.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

I think it was a pre-order DLC bonus ("Letters of the lost lab").

Here's the conclusion if it's not available to you.
Spoiler:

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

I've heard about the comparison of Far Cry 3 to Skyrim, but to me it feels much, much more combat oriented. Okay, that kind of was to be expected from a FPS, but still. While I can see the good in both, I look for different things in Skyrim than in Far Cry 3, so I agree that the comparison is lacking.

What utterly confuses and enrages me is the absurd save/load mechanism of FC3. I just did the mission, where you plant a bomb in a warehouse, only to die from said bomb. No problem, auto-save got me covered. Except I suddenly reawake deep inside the base with most of the objectives done, but all enemies are alive again? Huh?! Before that was the absurd situation, where I saved three times during free-play, but reloading after death only loads the third-to-last save. What?! It seems the game only saves the objective status, but not the enemy status or position. They randomly are resurrected or teleported between saves. Augh!

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:03 am UTC

Anyone try the multiplayer yet? I like the bronze and silver playlists (user created maps)

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:37 pm UTC

Finally beat this thing... the ending is pretty lame in my opinion, but the last battle is a ton of fun. Awesome, nerve-wracking, and hilarious all at the same time.

Return to “Gaming”