Hilda

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Hilda

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:02 pm UTC

So Netflix has a new show, Hilda. It's an urban fantasy, and apparently is popular amongst the Gravity Falls crowd (haven't seen that) because the type of show is really, well, there isn't much in the way of urban fantasy. The animation style is clean but simple, with a color palette you quickly get used to.

In terms of story, this is the closest we are ever going to get to a Gunnerkrigg Court tv show...

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Hilda

Postby ConMan » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:23 am UTC

I watched it a few weeks ago with my wife. Tone-wise, it definitely feels like a cross between Gravity Falls and Adventure Time, but less hectic and crazy. And we really love the subdued palette - lots of pastel browns, with occasional forays into greyscale with highlights for night and underground and similar sequences. I really hope the show gets a few more seasons.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:10 am UTC

It already was approved for a second season. Problem is, it's based on a series of books and the majority of those books have been used up for season 1. There's only one left for season 2, and beyond that, the writers of the show will have to just start making stuff up entirely.

The writers won't be completely lost for ideas, there's left unresolved...
Spoiler:
1) The two tide mice
2) Frida's cleaning ghost and the book
3) Whatever had stolen Frida's book in the first place (one of the Nisse?)
4) The Marra are still around, causing trouble

As for other ideas, they can always expand on the other characters if need be. If not, well, there's plenty more Scandinavian folklore to go through, though when they start making mozzarella out of Moomin (the books were inspired by the Moomins) they've reached the bottom of the barrel.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:27 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:In terms of story, this is the closest we are ever going to get to a Gunnerkrigg Court tv show...
Ok, I'm sold. Somehow Netflix failed to recommend it to me.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:38 am UTC

So, either of you guys get around to it? What'd you think?

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”