Skins

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

popple

Skins

Postby popple » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:52 am UTC

seriously? how could this not have a thread yet. Who else loved this show? I liked it because the characters were so diverse and interesting, I can't wait untill series two (or the series one dvd).

For those who didnt see it, It's about a group of teenagers from Bristol. It has the best characters (like i said before) for example the best has to be Cassie who is an anorexic girl that has tried suicide possibly twice.

Its probably a drama but its funny as well.

Has anyone seen it? what did you think?
popple.. from snap, crack, and popple... thats the line isn't it? isn't it?

mister k

Postby mister k » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:38 am UTC

I liked it actually, thought it was pretty funny, and sometimes even managed an accurate portayal of kids that age, if somwhat exaggerated.

apricity
almost grown-up but not quite

Re: Skins

Postby apricity » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:48 pm UTC

I'm reviving this topic because it deserves revival. I watched series 1 with my boyfriend in England (because he was an extra in it... he's the kid making out with Maxxie in episode 4, hee) and now I'm a teeny bit obsessed with this show. Especially Cassie... I love crazy characters in movies and TV and she's absolutely insane. I've picked up her way of saying "Yeah... wow..." in that breathless, dreamy tone. And she did this video diary, in character, that's amazing.

Part of the first episode of season 2 is on Youtube too! They keep taking it down and people keep putting it back up so I won't bother linking. But just search, you'll find it.

So any other Skins fans around?
LE4d wrote:have you considered becoming an electron

it takes just a little practice to learn to be
(she/her/hers)

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:44 pm UTC

wouldn't say I was a fan but I can't wait for the next series... would I be alone in suggesting the characters are slightly contrived?
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

apricity

Postby apricity » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:51 pm UTC

Oh, they're completely contrived. I just think that for this particular show, it works. It's really a rather ridiculous show if you think about it... the key is not to think about it, but just to watch and enjoy.

(she/her/hers)

yellie

Postby yellie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

I only watched the first series once it was on DVD. I don't know why I didn't bother watching it while it was on TV, but I love it. Cassie is definitely my favourite. She's got such good fashion sense, and I'm one of those people that subconciously picks up mannerisms of people, and like Lanicita I've started saying "oh wow..." and "totally".

I'll um, spoiler-cut what I think about series 2, shall I?
Spoiler:
Kinda shocked at how they dealt with Tony! I was expecting him to be grand; maybe with some new respect for life and his friends/Michelle. Instead he's a completely different person. I just feel sorry for him, now. Which is weird because it's Tony, and he's a prick.

I do love that Bill Bailey is in it, doing his west country accent. :D

apricity

Postby apricity » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:21 pm UTC

yellie wrote:I'll um, spoiler-cut what I think about series 2, shall I?
Spoiler:
Kinda shocked at how they dealt with Tony! I was expecting him to be grand; maybe with some new respect for life and his friends/Michelle. Instead he's a completely different person. I just feel sorry for him, now. Which is weird because it's Tony, and he's a prick.

Spoiler:
I know! When I turned it on I was shocked... brain damage?? The thing is, that's a really risky move they made, as a TV show, because they effectively lost one of the main characters and replaced him with someone totally different. However, I never liked Tony before, so this is actually a good, strong change in my book.

(she/her/hers)

popple

Postby popple » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

Spoiler'd for Season two goodness

Spoiler:
I was a bit surprised about the change in Tony as well, but while it is a risky move I think its a good one, seeing as last season was very tony-centric and now this allows the other characters to be developed, like Maxxie (and yeah, Bill Bailey = good choice). And besides, loads of people didnt like old Tony, so having that happen wasnt so bad seeing as he seems totally different. If it had happened to Sid or Cassie or someone then I dont think they could have pulled it off.

But I didnt really get why Sid was being all distant to Tony now, I mean, He was with him loads in hospital, was it just because Tony has changed?

Finally, I can't wait until Cassie comes back

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

I hate on Skins all the time, probably because a.) it's so fantastic, and b.) I didn't watch the first series, so am picking up loose threads from the second. Episodes of which I have accidentally watched.

Bill Bailey, in a room, sitting opposite Harry Enfield?

The first 5 words of that sentence is more than enough, but add in the last four and you've got television of eye-widening proportions
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

MJPerry

Postby MJPerry » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

I assume the Series 2 episode 1 details are no longer spoilers?

Bill Bailey = best choice of casting ever.

I'm surprised they went where they did with Tony but Nicholas Hoult (About a Boy boy) is pulling it off pretty well. Disappointed that we didn't see much of the other main characters but they've only got so much time I suppose.

Looking forward to 2x02.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:00 pm UTC

Spoiler'd for general ignorance:
Spoiler:
I like the spaced-out girl

Having seen about 2 episodes of Skins I have to admit, I just don't get it
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

MJPerry

Postby MJPerry » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

Skateside wrote:Spoiler'd for general ignorance:
Spoiler:

Eh? There's really nothing to 'get'.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

MJPerry wrote:
Spoiler:

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean "get" as in "understand on all levels and empathise with the characters", I meant "get" as in "enjoy the program, understand the humour, want to watch again"
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

MJPerry

Postby MJPerry » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Skateside wrote:
MJPerry wrote:
Spoiler:

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean "get" as in "understand on all levels and empathise with the characters", I meant "get" as in "enjoy the program, understand the humour, want to watch again"

My bad.

2x02 = fucked up.

yellie

Postby yellie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:19 pm UTC

MJPerry wrote:2x02 = fucked up.

Not gonna lie, I was terrified. Also, disappointed. It was not a good episode at all. I really hope Creepy Welsh Stalker won't be a recurring character because it horrifies me to believe that people like that actually exist.

Popidge

Postby Popidge » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:52 am UTC

yellie wrote:
MJPerry wrote:2x02 = fucked up.

Not gonna lie, I was terrified. Also, disappointed. It was not a good episode at all. I really hope Creepy Welsh Stalker won't be a recurring character because it horrifies me to believe that people like that actually exist.

I actually loved that episode. It really tried to open peoples eyes to the other side of this.

Spoilered just in case you haven't seen it yet:

Spoiler:
Try and look at it from Sketch's (Creepy Welsh Stalker) perspective. She's spent most of her teenage life looking after her disabled mother, possibly the only person she talks to outside of school. It's pretty obvious that she isn't the most popular girl at college, so i'd say her social life is pretty terrible, and all she has outside of home and college is whatever she can see out of the window, and that just happens to be Maxxie (A character whom i'm very glad to see they're developing well)
It's very easy at such a hormonally and psychologically turbulent time to have an incredibly insatiable attraction towards something you've seen so little of. Most normal(?) teens with a more active school/social life can pull through this, but some find it hard, and the only thing they can see take thier mind off their current standard of life is an obsession over someone.
You can tell from Sketch's "First Kiss - Magic Moment" ideology that she has maybe seen one movie to little, and her home situation has left her a little out of tune with reality, making it even harder for her not to believe that she can get Maxxie to love her.
She's also never had the oppurtunity to see past Maxxie. Every day, the only thing she can see out of her window is the tower blocks and chav-filled streets of urban Bristol, and Maxxie is the only thing different. Most "first teen crushes" are dissipated easily, because we come to a realisation that things don't happen sometimes, and we move on. She hasn't had the chance to come to this realistion, and the crush has spiralled out of control, dragging her down with it, making her resort to desperate measures.

Have you ever fallen so far in love with somebody that you're sure that they're the only one for you? Maybe, you ended up actually getting with them, or growing out of it. She hasn't had that chance yet, and her out-of-tune state of mind has hardened her to anything that may help her come to this realisation, short of a sharp shock after the truth is revealed.

To be honest, i'll be disappointed if they don't develop her character just a little bit further.
If not for the storyline, just for the fact that the lady who plays her is rather attractive (in my eyes, anyway)
http://popidge.co.uk
Where you can read stuff that, quite frankly, you probably don't care about.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:42 pm UTC

I love this show. It's a glorified soap opera but I think it's incredibly well written, casted and acted. It's enormous fun to watch and I enjoy every minute of it. I especially love the way it focuses on one main character in each episode. It gives it something extra. I don't know why.

Series 2 spoilers:

Spoiler:
Ep 1: Oh my God Tony. I have to see what happens to him. Do they bring him back as he was, or do they really go deep and have him irreparably damaged?

Ep 2: That poor crazy nuts weird girl was strangely hot. I don't think she'll be in it a whole lot more, but I could be wrong. Great episode though.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

YAY!! Cass isn't a complete ho-bag!!

sketch is in the opening sequence; where they all run up to the wall.

Shes a keeper it seems.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:11 pm UTC

Oh man.

Spoiler:
Anyone else in tears at that?

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

Oooh that ending was a bit of a surprise and a downer.

Popidge

Postby Popidge » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:16 am UTC

Why do i find myself so pleased to see Sketch in it again?

I must confess, the first half of the episode was pretty crap, i didn't really like the "Sid's crappy scottish family" storyline much. But when they left, and the story started to involve the rest of the bunch a bit more, it turned into a good episode, with a couple of shocks and surprises.

Spoiler:
Anyone notice that it all seemed to flood back to Tony at the end? With the Cigarette and all..

yellie

Postby yellie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:27 am UTC

cypherspace wrote:Oh man.

Spoiler:
Anyone else in tears at that?

Spoiler:
Seriously, the first half of the episode was terribly boring and I was thinking that I might switch over. But when Sid walked by the livingroom and we saw the silhouette of his dad... Man, my stomach felt like lead. I was like Sid; I just did not want to believe that he was dead. His dad was one of my favourite characters. ):

And that scene with Tony in the club -- amazingly done. I won't be able to listen to Alice Practise the same way anymore.

Damnit Skins! The moment I say I'm disappointed in you, you hook me right back in. <3

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:15 am UTC

I've to say I'm really impressed by this series...the first series seemed a little too dedicated to shocking its viewers with mildly sensational antics...this one, however, is more about character studies, and I love how the music is being used...the club scene with Sid and Tony tonight was beautifully done, and I really rather adored the use of the Crystal Castles song...and that they played Sigur Ros towards the end was enough to guarantee that I'd be in a rather emotional state. Really a rather powerful episode, started off slow, and ended with a bang.
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

Popidge

Postby Popidge » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

Reviving this thread simply because tonight's ending left the series on such a sweet spot.
Spoiler:
I know i want to see more of Skins because it is so damned good (best thing to come out of E4 for a good while), but i think it wouldn't be worth 3rd series. 2 was perfect. It was the best time to end the series, with them all going off thier seperate ways

And of course, the shock of killing off one of the most loved characters like that.. well, it made this series awesome.

Any other comments on the seasons ending?

Do you want more? What did you think of the whole series? Is it me, or is Sketch still strangely attractive? (It must be the welsh accent, i think i'm drawn to it, same reason i like Gwen in Torchwood.. damn that accent is hot..)

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:11 am UTC

I thought it was great. Better than the first series, really enjoyed it. Loved the way each episode was basically a character study. Not as funny as the first series but still with some great moments, and it was heart-wrenching at some points.

In case you don't know;

Spoiler:
The 3rd series is going to be an (almost) entirely new cast, for the exact reason you mentioned - the previous lot have gone their separate ways. They're not at college any more, they're at uni, which was not what the series was supposed to focus on. So they're bringing in a new set of characters starting at college.

Also, yes, I love the Welsh accent. So glad I live here...

Popidge

Postby Popidge » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:I thought it was great. Better than the first series, really enjoyed it. Loved the way each episode was basically a character study. Not as funny as the first series but still with some great moments, and it was heart-wrenching at some points.

In case you don't know;

Spoiler:
The 3rd series is going to be an (almost) entirely new cast, for the exact reason you mentioned - the previous lot have gone their separate ways. They're not at college any more, they're at uni, which was not what the series was supposed to focus on. So they're bringing in a new set of characters starting at college.

Also, yes, I love the Welsh accent. So glad I live here...

You lucky man, you.

Regarding your spolilered;
Spoiler:
New characters? Possibly Effy + others? Seeing as she was a couple years younger than Tony, it'd make sense. However, i wouldn't be as interested with a load of new characters, it just wouldn't be the same Skins.. it'll be worth a watch for the first episode or two, if the episodes are as well written as S02 was i might just keep watching. 'Course I'll be at uni myself then, so i'll have possibly moved out of the target audience

In the meantime, i might invest in the s1+2 boxset, simply because they were that bloody good.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

Whoops, I missed the important bit out;

Spoiler:
Yep, you got it, Effie's in it as a main character, but she's the only one of the current cast. Although they haven't ruled out some guest appearances from the old cast, they don't want them to overshadow the new ones.

yellie

Postby yellie » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It ended well. I was ridiculously pissed off they killed off Chris last week, and how they basically got rid of Cassie by sending her to America. (my two favourite characters! Argh!) I was ready to be even more pissed off at the finale but then... Mark Heap. He makes everything alright. :D Oh, and they played an Elliott Smith song, so yay. Jal's speech about Chris at the funeral was really sweet, too.

So, yes. It ended well. I'm not sure if I'm going to watch the third series; Effy never interested me and I'm not sure they'll be able to come up with better characters.

But if I even see Pandora in the background, I'm officially never watching Skins again.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Popidge wrote:Is it me, or is Sketch still strangely attractive? (It must be the welsh accent, i think i'm drawn to it, same reason i like Gwen in Torchwood.. damn that accent is hot..)

Sketch was a weird character. I spent most of the season trying to feel sorry for her, because her life kind of sucks and it doesn't help that everyone else shits on her all the time. At the end of this last episode I kind of figured out why I still don't like her. The show kind of used her as an antithesis for the rest of the cast. She has almost nothing in common with them: while the main cast abandons/is abandoned by their parents, she's trapped with her mother. When they're wild and impulsive, she's shy and careful. I don't think she ever does drugs on screen, and the only place she might have had a drink was the party where she dressed Anwar up as Maxxie. Really, the only thing she has in common with them is her tendency to slyly manipulate people, and she isn't even very good at that.

The reason I found her so hard to relate to was that all the things the main cast does are presented as somewhat self-destructive, but also life-affirming and grand and exciting and fun and the entire reason we're watching this show. So by having a character that rejects all those things, she really comes off as sucking the life out everyone. So I tried to empathize with her but I couldn't, and I think it's because in the logic of the show, she's the closest there is to a villain. So, yeah. Not so much attractive, but thats not really her fault.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

Angelene
relax, I'll handle the zippers

Postby Angelene » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:29 am UTC

Spoiler:
The finale disappointed me because I loved the series so...and I'll agree with the above comment that it was a stroke of genius to focus each episode on an individual character...it just felt so new and rewarding each week...really I'll echo Yellie that Between the Bars and Dr Statham were the only real saving grace for me. I'll miss it :(
"Some people need a red carpet rolled out in front of them in order to walk forward into friendship. They can't see the tiny outstretched hands all around them, everywhere, like leaves on trees."

apricity

Postby apricity » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

Fuck it.

I don't think I'll ever hear those words again without thinking of Chris.

(she/her/hers)

Edawan

Postby Edawan » Tue May 06, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

I've seen an episode when I was on holiday in Scotland, and it just seemed liked a basic sitcom for teenagers. Annoying characters and easy drama.
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Tue May 06, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Definitely not easy drama. And pretty much impossible to evaluate from a single episode.

l33t_sas

Postby l33t_sas » Wed May 07, 2008 6:29 am UTC

I used to love Skins but the whole second half of the second season was boring.

It used to have this really brilliant mix of drama and subtle comedy and by the end of the second season it was just all drama. Also, shows don't need to have people dying every 3 weeks. Especially people who are young. It's stupid. Skins started fairly realistic (if exaggerated) and by the end it was like any other drama. I guess I'll still watch season 3 but I don't have particularly high hopes.
You're thinking of a Pegasus. Unicorns don't fly, they just sort of... plummet.

☼♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪!

Postby ☼♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪! » Tue May 13, 2008 7:46 am UTC

i saw the first few episodes of the first season when it first came on SBS, but then school started and i didnt get time to watch it.... so im *paitiently* waiting for it to come out on DVD.... :lol:

:_NEWS!!-:

i just read in tv program.... SKINS IS BACK ON MONDAY NIGHT 19TH MAY!!!! australia by the way for those who arent here.
im not sure.... but im going to TRY to watch it... Maxx is trying to be a professional dancer when his father wants him to be a builder.... for thopse who'v seen the first season, does this eppo im describing sound like a re-peat to you?

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Fri May 16, 2008 9:04 pm UTC

☼♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪! wrote:i saw the first few episodes of the first season when it first came on SBS, but then school started and i didnt get time to watch it.... so im *paitiently* waiting for it to come out on DVD.... :lol:

:_NEWS!!-:

i just read in tv program.... SKINS IS BACK ON MONDAY NIGHT 19TH MAY!!!! australia by the way for those who arent here.
im not sure.... but im going to TRY to watch it... Maxx is trying to be a professional dancer when his father wants him to be a builder.... for thopse who'v seen the first season, does this eppo im describing sound like a re-peat to you?

Youd didn't need to wait. They're all on here.
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

☼♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪!

Postby ☼♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪! » Fri May 16, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

thanx!!.... but this isnt my computer so im not sure i want to be downloading anything on it. but waesome, thanx man!

apricity

Postby apricity » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:58 am UTC

Skins series three has started now. Is anyone watching it besides me? (Minor spoilers for the first 3 episodes.)
Spoiler:
I thought the first episode was great. The second one sucked and had none of the spirit of the original series, but then the third one came back and redeemed it. I hope the gangster disappears, he is not interesting. I'm really liking the new characters though... this method of moving on from one group to the next is actually working, surprisingly enough, because the show has such a distinct style that it still seems connected.

(she/her/hers)

peyngel

Postby peyngel » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

lanicita wrote:Skins series three has started now. Is anyone watching it besides me? (Minor spoilers for the first 3 episodes.)
Spoiler:
I thought the first episode was great. The second one sucked and had none of the spirit of the original series, but then the third one came back and redeemed it. I hope the gangster disappears, he is not interesting. I'm really liking the new characters though... this method of moving on from one group to the next is actually working, surprisingly enough, because the show has such a distinct style that it still seems connected.

I'm watching, but it's hard to not get annoyed at it. I understand why they needed to change the cast, but the some of the new ones are literally just awful versions of some of the original characters.

Freddie = Tony 2.0
Cook = Chris 2.0

Panda is the best character of them all, and Effie is just unbearable.
Yo dawg, we heard you like to browse, so we put a browser inside yo browser so you can browse while you browse

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:35 am UTC

GAH. BEAM THIS TO AUSTRALIA, NAAAAAAAAOOOOW!
Cruise control.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”