Greatest Movie Ever?

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

headprogrammingczar

Re: Greatest Movie Ever?

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

If characters are what you watch movies for, watch Spirited Away. Haku is an enigma. I have watched the movie six times and have yet to figure him out completely. I put Spirited Away just behind Pan's Labyrinth for best movie ever.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:37 pm UTC

I missed about the first half hour. (I got in at the bit when she was asking for work). It didn't make much sense for a while, but I liked it. (I was watching the subtitled version, teh wiki tells me there are some differences).
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:25 am UTC

Malice wrote:
Midnight wrote:i like citizen kane, but I don't think it could be the best movie ever. The fact is, a lot of the reason people like it is they SEE it with someone who loves it, and gets told all the little details of "DUDE, this is the first time a shot like that was ever DONE!"

but reallly... other people have done those things BETTER.

I've heard this before, but it's never explained. Who? Who has done what Citizen Kane did better? Honestly, I'd be hard-pressed to name a film which surpasses either its deep-focus, long-take cinematography or its non-linear, twisty narrative structure. Not to mention the central character, who is about as complex and fascinating and enigmatic as any other in the history of film. And a film which combines all of these with Kane's other virtues (like its ceaselessly entertaining script)? Honestly, if you know one, let me know, so I can go watch it.

As far as long-take cinematography goes, waht about that one scene at the end of Children of Men? You know which one i'm talking about. I'll give you a clue: babies.
anyways, I think THAT shot was a better long-take one than citizen kane's.

it's stilla great MOVIE, but I'm not really talking about twisty storylines.. more like random cinematographic bits.
uhhhh fuck.

goblin_subway
Location: Kansas City, Kansas, USoA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby goblin_subway » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:42 am UTC

If you want to go with pure cinematography, I vote GATTACA. Beautiful lighting and framing. Visually as close to perfect as I have ever seen.
I am Jack's overused quote.
Oh, almost forgot. Fuck MENSA.

Malice

Postby Malice » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Midnight wrote:As far as long-take cinematography goes, waht about that one scene at the end of Children of Men? You know which one i'm talking about. I'll give you a clue: babies.
anyways, I think THAT shot was a better long-take one than citizen kane's.

it's stilla great MOVIE, but I'm not really talking about twisty storylines.. more like random cinematographic bits.

It was a crime that Children of Men didn't win the cinematography Oscar.

However, those weren't deep-focus. Deep-focus is important.

But, no, Citizen Kane doesn't necessarily stand up in terms of technology because, well, it's been sixty goddamn years. It took us almost that long to invent the Snorricam (aka, the pinnacle of cinematographic achievement). But I'm talking about style. And meaning. And I don't think you can "beat" Citizen Kane on that front.

Tobes00

Postby Tobes00 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:39 pm UTC

Malice wrote:It was a crime that Children of Men didn't win the cinematography Oscar.

I'd have to disagree. I found the long takes in Children of Men to draw so much attention to themselves that I was unable to become absorbed into the film.

Even though I haven't seen it, Pan's Labyrinth got the cinematography Oscar in 2007, and in my opinion there's already a film on the list of nominees that had cinematography far and beyond that of Children of Men: the Prestige.

Noughmad

Postby Noughmad » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

I have yet to see Citizen Kane (I have it right here on my computer, just didn't have time to watch it yet), but the best movie I've seen has to be Life is Beautiful.

I suppose I don't fall for cinematography or whatever, as Children of Men was a very bad movie IMO.
Laziness is the mother of wisdom.
My woblag

goblin_subway

Postby goblin_subway » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:12 am UTC

It's all about what matters to you personally. For me to love a movie, it has to be pretty first, then comes plot, acting, etc. Other people have other priorities.

Themata

Postby Themata » Sat May 03, 2008 1:50 pm UTC

Clerks II.

singularapathy

Postby singularapathy » Sat May 03, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

I'm voting for Before Sunset.

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue May 06, 2008 2:44 am UTC

Blade Runner -- pretty much as far back as I remember. Just watched the Final Cut of that recently. I found myself muttering repeatedly, "I love this movie so much".
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Tue May 06, 2008 8:10 am UTC

goblin_subway wrote:It's all about what matters to you personally. For me to love a movie, it has to be pretty first, then comes plot, acting, etc. Other people have other priorities.

You can be objective to some extent. My favorite movie (Tarkovsky's Nostalghia) is not the movie I consider the best ever made (Kurosawa's Ran).

Dusty Chalk

Postby Dusty Chalk » Tue May 06, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

shieldforyoureyes wrote:
goblin_subway wrote:It's all about what matters to you personally. For me to love a movie, it has to be pretty first, then comes plot, acting, etc. Other people have other priorities.
You can be objective to some extent. My favorite movie (Tarkovsky's Nostalghia) is not the movie I consider the best ever made (Kurosawa's Ran).
You're saying there's an "absolute" scale for movies? But movies are purely about esthetics, which implies subjectivism, not objectivism.

Think just about cultural differences -- you might consider a movie excellent, but if there's a scene with anyone eating a hamburger in it, a Hindu won't just dislike it, but consider it sacrilege.
I remain,
:-Peter, aka :-Dusty :-Chalk

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Tue May 06, 2008 7:04 pm UTC

Dusty Chalk wrote:
shieldforyoureyes wrote:
You're saying there's an "absolute" scale for movies? But movies are purely about esthetics, which implies subjectivism, not objectivism.

Think just about cultural differences -- you might consider a movie excellent, but if there's a scene with anyone eating a hamburger in it, a Hindu won't just dislike it, but consider it sacrilege.

Yeah, "absolute" is exactly what I meant by "to some extent".

How is "consider it sacrilege" not a subset of "dislike"? It has nothing to do with the artistic merit or technical achievements of the piece.

An extreme example: "Triumph of the Will" is a masterpiece, and that has nothing to do with the ethics of the NAZI party.

Wyvernlink

Postby Wyvernlink » Wed May 07, 2008 1:07 am UTC

V for Vendetta

I love the revolution theme in the movie and the overthrowing of oppressors. Also at the end of the movie where all the civilians have a Guy Fawkes mask is an amazing scene.

MathGeek

Postby MathGeek » Wed May 07, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

I am sure it's been brought up before, but I love Donnie Darko. One of the best mind**** films ever.
I also like Talk Radio. Eric Bogosian's best performance and Oliver Stone's best film.
I also like Benny & Joon. It's the most oddball, heartwarming, romantic comedy ever made.
We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.

-Bill Hicks

goblin_subway

Postby goblin_subway » Thu May 08, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Cultural differences... consider Bollywood movies out of India or some of the (by American standards) severely strange things that come out of the nether regions of Japan. Dance numbers and robot tentacle thingies. Bollywood usually only picks up on the first category, Japan... you never know, it might be both.

Taurichik

Postby Taurichik » Mon May 12, 2008 2:04 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:If characters are what you watch movies for, watch Spirited Away. Haku is an enigma. I have watched the movie six times and have yet to figure him out completely. I put Spirited Away just behind Pan's Labyrinth for best movie ever.

I agree. maybe not the BEST movie ever, but definitely up there. plus, Haku is totally confusing. At time he seems caring, but then he's totally apathetic and distant... he's the one i can never quite understand

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Mon May 12, 2008 11:22 am UTC

I think the last few years have had some absolutely amazing movies in terms of both storytelling and cinematography, most of them already mentioned: Pan's Labyrinth, The Fountain, The Prestige, Children of Men, The Assassination of Jesse James amongst them. It'll be interesting to see how many of these stand the test of time and become regarded as classics, but I'll be very surprised if Pan's Labyrinth doesn't become regarded so.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

micco

Postby micco » Tue May 13, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

It`s impossible to name the best movie, but some very, very good ones are:Night of the living dead (1968), Dawn of the dead (1978), Day of the dead (1985), The Evil dead, Pan`s Labyrinth, The Texas chainsaw massacre (1974), The Thing (1982), Shaun of the dead, Hot Fuzz, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Psycho (1960), The Nightmare before christmas, Corpse Bride and Halloween (1978).
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

The Tagger
Location: The obscure t-shirt producing planet known as Earth

Postby The Tagger » Fri May 16, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

micco wrote:It`s impossible to name the best movie, but some very, very good ones are:Night of the living dead (1968), Dawn of the dead (1978), Day of the dead (1985), The Evil dead, Pan`s Labyrinth, The Texas chainsaw massacre (1974), The Thing (1982), Shaun of the dead, Hot Fuzz, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Psycho (1960), The Nightmare before christmas, Corpse Bride and Halloween (1978).

I go through all the posts, hoping I can be the first to mention Hot Fuzz, but damn it all if the very last poster before me mentions it!!

Based on pure re-watchability, my vote goes to Hot Fuzz. I could watch that movie twice a day, every day. One of the best blends of comedy, action, script-writing skill, and cinematography I've ever seen.

Based on quotability, I'd make it a tie between Caddyshack and The Big Lebowski. I will not be associated with anyone who does not immediately understand what "Noonan" means, nor with anyone who doesn't giggle when someone says, "Oh, nice marmot."

And if we're talking Oscar caliber movies, I'd vote for Dr. Strangelove, The Shawshank Redemption, and There Will Be Blood.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri May 16, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

Quotability has to go to Animal House, Ghostbusters, or Pulp Fiction. Props for quoting all three in the same sentence.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri May 16, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

I'd say one of my favorites for quotability would be Army of Darkness.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed May 21, 2008 12:35 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:Quotability has to go to Animal House, Ghostbusters, or Pulp Fiction. Props for quoting all three in the same sentence.

Well.. umm..

"They took the bar, the whole fucking bar, because the Stay-Puft marshmallow man attacked this fine city of new york, and the only way we can get the bar BACK is if you GIVE ME MY WALLET--IT'S THE ONE THAT SAYS BADASS MOTHERFUCKER ON IT."
uhhhh fuck.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Wed May 21, 2008 12:50 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
Torvaun wrote:Quotability has to go to Animal House, Ghostbusters, or Pulp Fiction. Props for quoting all three in the same sentence.

Well.. umm..

"They took the bar, the whole fucking bar, because the Stay-Puft marshmallow man attacked this fine city of new york, and the only way we can get the bar BACK is if you GIVE ME MY WALLET--IT'S THE ONE THAT SAYS BADASS MOTHERFUCKER ON IT."

Props, I suppose. But they're cancelled by the anti-props you get for screwing up the "bad motherfucker" line.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

UV_Catastrophe

Postby UV_Catastrophe » Wed May 21, 2008 6:40 pm UTC

The Big Lebowski is my favorite in terms of pure enjoyment and quotability, but American Beauty probably leaves me feeling happier than any other movie. These are just personal preferences - I'm not asserting that they're the best movies out there.

I also think that Donnie Darko and 2001: A Space Odyssey are ridiculously overrated.

micco

Postby micco » Sat May 24, 2008 12:06 pm UTC

I must add Francis Ford Coppola`s version of Dracula to my list. The movie was just great.
An anarchist is a person that makes oatmeal and blows it up.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat May 24, 2008 7:18 pm UTC

Well, my favorite movie to watch is probably The Big Lebowski. I love the characters, love the writing, as soon as it's over I always feel like I could watch the whole thing again, right then. I don't know that it's the greatest movie ever, though. Movies can be incredibly enjoyable to watch but not necessarily great. I mean, the most fun I ever had watching a movie was the midnight opening of Snakes on a Plane, and that movie was absolutely god-awful, and I doubt I would ever watch it again for any reason.

I'm not sure what I would consider the greatest movie ever. Right now I'm torn between Citizen Kane and Dog Day Afternoon, and maybe the Royal Tenenbaums.

Whispering

Postby Whispering » Sun May 25, 2008 8:08 am UTC

Ok I might be booed off the stage here but I'm going to have to say

12 Angry Men
Honorable mention Ben Hur
Kendo_Bunny wrote:The only thoughts you don’t tell him are the ones where you want to ride that sparkly ass like Seabiscuit.

ShemTealeaf

Postby ShemTealeaf » Thu May 29, 2008 5:09 am UTC

Wild Zero...recommended to anyone who enjoys Japanese cinema, punk music, zombies, comedy, or romance.

Also check out the associated drinking game.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu May 29, 2008 6:56 am UTC

I don't want to sound like a follower of magazine and lists, but The Godfather is high on my list along with Part 2 and Magnolia.

Hell, I think the pinnacle of movie achievement is to create something new or entertaining and then keep that going for 3 hours straight.

shieldforyoureyes

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Thu May 29, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

ShemTealeaf wrote:Wild Zero...recommended to anyone who enjoys Japanese cinema, punk music, zombies, comedy, or romance.

Also check out the associated drinking game.

Wild Zero is great.

THE classic Japanese punk rock movie is "Burst City", from 1982. Sort of Mad Max meets Suburbia.

CHeMnISTe BOY

Postby CHeMnISTe BOY » Thu May 29, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

Nope, nope, nope. The quotability prize actually goes to "Withnail and I" everyone, that was "Withnail-and-I".

As for greatest movie ever, god knows. Firstly, I don't actually think there is such a thing and secondly I don't trust my own taste enough to be able to spot it if there was one.

TheAmazingRando wrote:Well, my favorite movie to watch is probably The Big Lebowski. I love the characters, love the writing, as soon as it's over I always feel like I could watch the whole thing again, right then. I don't know that it's the greatest movie ever, though. Movies can be incredibly enjoyable to watch but not necessarily great. I mean, the most fun I ever had watching a movie was the midnight opening of Snakes on a Plane, and that movie was absolutely god-awful, and I doubt I would ever watch it again for any reason.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My favourite film to watch would probably be Fight Club.

As for greatest film ever, dunno. I really like Persona (dir. Ingmar Bergman) and The Double Life Of Veronique (dir. Krzysztof Kieslowski). I enjoy films that are thought provoking and still go over my head a bit, they have real depth and I feel like I could watch them now or in several years time and still find them interesting. Oh yeah, another of my favourite films is The Big Sleep, I think it's just a perfect blend of comedy and noir, even if the plot is gibberish.

greeniguana00

Postby greeniguana00 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

This is probably not going to be on many other people's lists, but the greatest movie I have seen is Into the Wild. Here is what makes it great:

*The music fits in so well with the movie. It adds to the emotional impact of the film.

*I love how natural the movie feels throughout. The camera work is done in a way such that you are actually there as a person, which fits perfectly with movie. They don't do anything "epic" with the camera like what annoyed me somewhat about Lord of the Rings.

*It really captures the meaning of life so perfectly. I feel changed as a result of watching this movie, and I cannot say the same about Godfather, Pulp Fiction, etc.

*The characters are so genuine. They don't seem to have "roles" in the traditional sense, which I really like. If you look at the characters in a movie like The Matrix or Lord of the Rings, they are highly shaped into what fits the plot - I don't like that. I guess it helps that the plot in Into the Wild is not heavily driving.

*Just watch it if you haven't. I thought about it and felt it for long after I watched it. I only wish the scenes in that film were my own memories.
Goodnight, g♥♥dnight! There's something magnificent about good night with two disemboweled hearts in it, or at least it seems that way when you're so happy.

cypherspace

Postby cypherspace » Sat May 31, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Whispering wrote:Ok I might be booed off the stage here but I'm going to have to say

12 Angry Men
I applaud you for that one. I think that is one of the best movies ever made, without question. It's utterly compelling, with superb characterisation, pacing and plot, and to achieve that with the entire film set in one room just makes it an absolute masterpiece for me.
"It was like five in the morning and he said he'd show me his hamster"

Barton

Postby Barton » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

Last edited by Barton on Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dream
WINNING

Postby Dream » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:05 pm UTC

cypherspace wrote:
Whispering wrote:Ok I might be booed off the stage here but I'm going to have to say

12 Angry Men
I applaud you for that one. I think that is one of the best movies ever made, without question. It's utterly compelling, with superb characterisation, pacing and plot, and to achieve that with the entire film set in one room just makes it an absolute masterpiece for me.

I agree. But for stifling tension and claustrophobia Dog Day Afternoon just beats it. It's the "Attica!" scene that makes the difference, it breaks the building tension, convincing you that anything might happen, because these men are coming apart under the strain. As the movie becomes yet more tense as it draws to a climax, the viewer is never, ever settled into thining they know the outcome.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

Dream wrote:But for stifling tension and claustrophobia Dog Day Afternoon just beats it. It's the "Attica!" scene that makes the difference, it breaks the building tension, convincing you that anything might happen, because these men are coming apart under the strain. As the movie becomes yet more tense as it draws to a climax, the viewer is never, ever settled into thining they know the outcome.
The "Attica!" scene is priceless. It's the only movie I've ever seen where the crowd itself was an incredibly important character. Just thinking about it makes me want to watch it very badly.

Rowsdower

Postby Rowsdower » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

Psycho. It's amazingly terrifying, and the plot twist at the end is sickeningly awesome.

The Phantom of the Opera (2004 musical). The soundtrack alone makes it great.

Either those, or Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which is the most quotable movie I've ever seen, and one of the only comedy movies that is actually funny.
Image Save the dragon! Clickie!

timt

Postby timt » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:11 pm UTC

Personally I'll go with Ghost in the shell. I think the matrix did beautiful things for our minds but this is where it came from, only done better.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”