The Great Gatsby

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

UniqueScreenname
Something something Purple. Stop asking.

The Great Gatsby

Postby UniqueScreenname » Fri May 03, 2013 11:49 am UTC

I must say I'm excited for this movie, which is rare, if only because the music I've heard so far is really, really good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343092/
PolakoVoador wrote:Pizza is never a question, pizza is always the answer.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

charliepanayi

Re: The Great Gatsby

Postby charliepanayi » Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

+ I love Baz Luhrmann's first three films
+ Good cast
+ Soundtrack sounds like it fits the bill perfectly

- Australia sounded like a rather soggy romance, and I hope Luhrmann's form hasn't deserted him
- Classic novels don't often make for great films
- Potential to be a complete mess
- 3D (though at least I can watch it in 2D)

Chalk me up as cautiously optimistic for now.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri May 03, 2013 3:54 pm UTC

Tobey Maguire seems like a good fit for Nick, although I don't remember too much about the story. While watching the trailer in the theater I kept thinking of the Hark, a vagrant comic about it. Mostly when Gatsby stares at that light.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sun May 05, 2013 1:02 am UTC

My parents said Australia was really good, but I've never seen it.

I just really don't like Tobey Maguire, but I love Leonardo DiCaprio, so I'm hoping that they will cancel each other out.
poxic wrote:When we're stuck, flailing, and afraid, that's usually when we're running into the limitations of our old ways of doing things. Something new is being born. Stick around and find out what it is.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat May 18, 2013 2:45 am UTC

Just saw it. Can't decide how I feel about it yet. They got so many of the little details right, certain parts of it actually made me understand that part of the book for the first time, but sooooooooo many hugely important things were missing, at least important to me. I can't decide whether I should appreciate what they did do or angst about what they didn't.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sat May 18, 2013 11:58 am UTC

I really enjoyed it (have not read the book). I disliked the editing. There were so many visually amazing scenes, and I wanted a couple more seconds to soak it all in, but the cuts prevented me from doing that. The parties were especially this way. So many cool things to look at, not enough time to do it just made me wind up frustrated. The invitation to tea was done excellently.

I felt the blatant parallells between the setting and modern hip hop artists to be really, really blunt and out of place. (notably when a car full of rich black men drinking wine pulled up beside Gatsby's car. Took me immediately out of the movie.)

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Sat May 18, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

I don't know why that was added. I considered it completely unrealistic. However, I did like the soundtrack for the most part. I hate Jay-Z, so his song made me angry, but the others I thought fit well and didn't take me out of the time period.

Now that I'm not exhausted, I can detail what bothered me.
Spoiler:
The book is built upon three main themes: pursuit of the American Dream, a lack of morality, and the divide between old money and new money. They went to such extents to drive home the morality that they edged out the old money and new money theme. Gatsby once said that Daisy's voice was full of money, and he loved her home in Louisville because it was so extravagant; part of what made him love her was her money. Daisy hated Gatsby's parties because they were filled with new-money people she considered classless. They left all of that out, choosing instead to make Nick a guilt-ridden alcoholic because of the horrible corruption he had to deal with. That's too much, and doesn't do Nick's character justice. He had a stronger core than that.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Sun May 19, 2013 4:12 am UTC

Well, that was a better movie than I expected given that Baz Luhrmann met my expectations by completely failing to understand a single character that Fitzgerald wrote.

The worst was his transformation of Daisy into a generic damsel in distress, where in the book her destructive narcissism (and Gatsby's failure to recognize it) is one of the key drivers of Gatsby's downfall. In a strange way, this failure ends up being misogynistic, insofar as Luhrmann doesn't seem particularly interested in holding Daisy accountable for the morality of her actions. In Luhrmann's version, Daisy is not so much an adult with her own moral agency as a status symbol fought over by men. Luhrmann even quotes the passage where Nick describes how Tom and Daisy are alike in their destructive narcissism, but doesn't seem to have actually read and understood it.

Also, Luhrmann really needs to learn how to change up the pace. He's created some absolutely gorgeous visuals, but his hyperactive ADD editing style never gives the audience even a moment to enjoy them. I actually started mentally timing the cuts, and it was a rare shot that lasted more than a second and a half.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun May 19, 2013 9:10 am UTC

Whether you enjoy it or if it drives you mad, I don't think Luhrmann is ever going to change his style of frenzied editing, it's part of his filmmaking DNA and one reason why his first three films are so Marmite. But I'm disappointed if he has missed the mark somewhat with the characters in this one. What they've done with Nick sounds especially baffling, like they've managed to make the one sympathetic character in the novel somewhat unsympathetic.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon May 20, 2013 11:24 pm UTC

Let's preface this by saying that I've never read the book.

I found Nick entirely sympathetic; he was the only real sympathetic character in the thing, and also the only one to which nothing dramatic really happens, which left me basically not caring at all about the story - the only character I cared about was the narrator, and he's just kind of being there the whole time, not doing anything. Even not having read it, I did get that they'd obviously misplayed Daisy's character - she felt like she had no agency at all, and was fairly honest most of the time, so I couldn't understand how one could describe her as responsible for her own destruction.

Was Gatsby meant to be a protagonist? Because I disliked him almost as much as, if not more than, I disliked Tom. He was a deluded, obsessive con artist, and seemed like he had possibly even fewer moral qualms than the obviously detestable bad guy.

The visuals at the parties were awesome, although I wasn't sure about the anachronistic music and choreography choices. I think I'd prefer to have seen it played more straight, with period music, at the very least.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue May 21, 2013 5:07 am UTC

"I hate Daisy"

"The bitch was a coward"

Among the top comments when I went to search for Lana Del Rey's Young and Beautiful on youtube. One of the few times where I actually sympathize with the comments.

I somehow feel like Leonardo Di Caprio must be to Hollywood what Kenny is to Southpark. They better not start in that direction with Ryan Gosling -- I won't forgive it! >:(
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

UniqueScreenname

Postby UniqueScreenname » Tue May 21, 2013 10:47 am UTC

What do you mean, killing him repeatedly?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 am UTC

I'm guessing (spoilers for basically every film Leonardo di Caprio has been in):
Spoiler:
Leonardo di Caprio Filmography:

Critters 3 - survives?
Poison Ivy - nonstarring role
This Boy's Life - survives
What's Eating Gilbert Grape - survives
The Foot Shooting Party - unknown (to me)
The Quick and the Dead - dies, shot in a duel
The Basketball Diaries - survives
Total Eclipse - dies, of cancer
Romeo + Juliet - dies, commits suicide with poison
Marvin's Room - survives?
Titanic - dies, of hypothermia in the Atlantic
The Man in the Iron Mask - survives / survives
Celebrity - unknown (to me)
The Beach - survives
Don's Plum - unknown (to me)
Catch Me If You Can - survives
Gangs of New York - survives
The Aviator - survives
The Departed - dies, shot in the head
Blood Diamond - dies, of some kind of injury
Body of Lies - survives
Revolutionary Road - survives
Shutter Island - survives (arguably?)
Inception - dies in a dream, but then survives
J. Edgar - dies (of whatever Hoover died of, I suppose)
Django Unchained - dies, shot in the chest
The Great Gatsby - dies, shot in the back

That looks to be about a 60% survival rate to me. More deaths recently though, I suppose.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Wed May 22, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:I'm guessing (spoilers for basically every film Leonardo di Caprio has been in):
Spoiler:
Leonardo di Caprio Filmography:

Critters 3 - survives?
Poison Ivy - nonstarring role
This Boy's Life - survives
What's Eating Gilbert Grape - survives
The Foot Shooting Party - unknown (to me)
The Quick and the Dead - dies, shot in a duel
The Basketball Diaries - survives
Total Eclipse - dies, of cancer
Romeo + Juliet - dies, commits suicide with poison
Marvin's Room - survives?
Titanic - dies, of hypothermia in the Atlantic
The Man in the Iron Mask - survives / survives
Celebrity - unknown (to me)
The Beach - survives
Don's Plum - unknown (to me)
Catch Me If You Can - survives
Gangs of New York - survives
The Aviator - survives
The Departed - dies, shot in the head
Blood Diamond - dies, of some kind of injury
Body of Lies - survives
Revolutionary Road - survives
Shutter Island - survives (arguably?)
Inception - dies in a dream, but then survives
J. Edgar - dies (of whatever Hoover died of, I suppose)
Django Unchained - dies, shot in the chest
The Great Gatsby - dies, shot in the back

That looks to be about a 60% survival rate to me. More deaths recently though, I suppose.

I never liked Leo, but looking at his acting career and the films he had been in I think the Oscars is almost within his grasp...

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm UTC

I think DiCaprio is great, and deserves credit for not going off the rails (personally and professionally) after the insane fame he got after Titanic/Romeo and Juliet.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”