Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Director's Cut Y/N)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

musashi1600

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Director's Cut Y/N)

Postby musashi1600 » Sat May 18, 2013 9:03 am UTC

I'd like to watch Star Trek VI, but iTunes has two versions of the film, and I'm trying to figure out which one I should watch. There's the basic version and there's a Director's Cut.
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

Jorpho

Re: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Director's Cut Y

Postby Jorpho » Tue May 21, 2013 3:44 am UTC

If I'm not mistaken, then only difference is a couple of minutes of deleted scenes that do not make much of an impact. They do feature Rene Auberjonois, though.

It is hardly worth quibbling over.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue May 21, 2013 5:35 pm UTC

There are very very VERY few movies where the Director's Cut has any significant effect on the message or overall content of the film. Most of the time it's just a buzz word for adding in nearly completed material that was edited out for timing concerns. "Fans" typically ignore pacing issues when re-watching and prefer the added value of a less polished and more content cut.

The only movie I can think of off hand that's really different is the Abyss, which is really quite crappy and more of a suspense movie in it's original form rather than a Sci-Fi piece in it's director's cut form. I know there are several others, but they are by far the exception.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue May 21, 2013 7:50 pm UTC

mosc wrote:There are very very VERY few movies where the Director's Cut has any significant effect on the message or overall content of the film. Most of the time it's just a buzz word for adding in nearly completed material that was edited out for timing concerns. "Fans" typically ignore pacing issues when re-watching and prefer the added value of a less polished and more content cut.

The only movie I can think of off hand that's really different is the Abyss, which is really quite crappy and more of a suspense movie in it's original form rather than a Sci-Fi piece in it's director's cut form. I know there are several others, but they are by far the exception.

Blade Runner is probably the most notorious example - the original release having an opening voice-over and a happy ending while the director's cut(s) revolve around one of the central characters having a secret even they're not aware of. It's still the same movie overall, but the emphasis and nuance are shifted...

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Tue May 21, 2013 9:01 pm UTC

The Donnie Dark director's cut is very different, I hear it's nowhere near as good as the original. In contrast, Blade Runner was miles better in its Director's/Final Cut form.
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 22, 2013 12:41 am UTC

In terms of Star Trek movies, I hear the Director's Cut of The Motion Picture is a substantial improvement on the original and much closer to the director's original vision.

In the days of VHS, the Director's Cut of Star Trek IV was the widescreen version as opposed to pan-and-scan, and was very much improved – but of course everything is widescreen now.

I had heard that the "Director's Cut" of Star Trek X was also much improved, but apparently that is again just a matter of a few deleted scenes being restored (all of which are on Youtube by now).

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:23 pm UTC

"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”