Aleril
Le Rail

Big Hiro 6!

Postby Aleril » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:15 am UTC

New Disney!

Robots!

Heroes!

Spoiler:
Brothers dying, tragedy and coping with loss!

Flying scenes!

How many of you have seen it so far? I was lucky enough to catch a showing the day it came out when all the kids were in school so there were like 3 people in the theatre besides me.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Re: Big Hero 6!

Postby ConMan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:16 am UTC

I don't think it comes out here until December 26th, aka "Don't go near the cinemas if you value your life" Day. I love everything I saw in the trailers though, all the way down to the obviously Bubblegum Crisis-inspired suits.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:41 am UTC

Have to wait until the end of January here :(
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

natraj

Postby natraj » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:49 pm UTC

i saw it. it was so delightful. i liked go-go the best maybe, in terms of superheroing about. it made me slightly teary at one or two places.

it started to make me slightly teary when

Spoiler:
they were in the portal and baymax was going to have to deactivate, but then i very abruptly stopped getting teary and turned to my friend like wtf just take out his card and rebuild him! so i was PRETTY PLEASED at the end when he found his card in the gauntlet XD

overall loved it though. mostly just so enjoyable. i laughed often.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:12 am UTC

ConMan wrote:I don't think it comes out here until December 26th, aka "Don't go near the cinemas if you value your life" Day.

Truth.

I used to work at one of the biggest movie theaters in the Bay Area and Christmas week was the WORST.

But hey, I always got paid big time after that.

KnightExemplar

Big Hero Six

Postby KnightExemplar » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:49 pm UTC

I found the movie enjoyable. San Fransokyo was a very strange, but interesting, blend of California and Tokyo. The can-do tech spirit of this movie was rather refreshing.

I did find the plot to be somewhat generic however, especially with all of the superhero movies coming out around now. Comparisons to Iron Man or "The Incredibles" would be apt. Nonetheless, I think this movie draws out its own niche by blending two cultures together.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:03 pm UTC

I enjoyed it. We took out six year-old son to see it. It was a feel-good action, superhero movie. It didn't break any boundaries or anything, but it was a solid movie for the genre. I enjoyed the characters, though I don't remember any of their names. I especially liked the beach-bum like character when Hiro (wait, I remember that name!) started talking about upgrading everyone. I laughed outright and still smile at the thought of his reaction.

In general it was mostly predictable but still worth watching.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:06 pm UTC

Good movie. Stay until after the credits.

Negated

Postby Negated » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

I enjoyed the movie from start to finish and left with a smile. It has a good mix of many funny moments and some heart warming scenes.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:01 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Good movie. Stay until after the credits.

I was the only person in the cinema today who did. Admittedly, just as the credits started rolling I thought "I wonder if there's a post-credits scene", pulled out my phone and Googled it. But it was worth it - not sure if that counts as fan service or sequel bait but either way it was cute.
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

sardia

Postby sardia » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:51 am UTC

ConMan wrote:

I was the only person in the cinema today who did. Admittedly, just as the credits started rolling I thought "I wonder if there's a post-credits scene", pulled out my phone and Googled it. But it was worth it - not sure if that counts as fan service or sequel bait but either way it was cute.

My friends were wondering why he was all sad at the end. It's a robot, he can just build another.
Spoiler:
And then he did, and we all laughed.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:25 am UTC

sardia wrote:
ConMan wrote:

My friends were wondering why he was all sad at the end. It's a robot, he can just build another.
Spoiler:
And then he did, and we all laughed.

Spoiler:
It's a robot with whom he shared a bunch of memories, some of them associated with his brother. To get Baymax back as he was right up to the end, you'd need a backup of his memory from that point - which he presumably stored on the memory chip where all his medical information was stored.
pollywog wrote:

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: Big Hiro 6!

Postby Angua » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:19 pm UTC

I saw this today at a preview screening. I thought it was really, really cute. Put me down as someone who got teary at a couple of points throughout.
Spoiler:
I just loved Baymax - they were amazing. I could stop smiling to myself every time Fred came on screen wearing that ridiculous lizard firebreathing suit though.

Had no idea what to make of that end of credits scene. It was hilarious.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”