Jurassic World

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

roband

Jurassic World

Postby roband » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:59 pm UTC

It's probably sacrilege to say this here, but I was no great fan of the original movie. It came out when I was a kid, at a time when I wasn't particularly into movies. So by the time I came around to seeing it, it was overhyped and underwhelming.

I was really under the impression that the new movie would be the same, especially when I saw the trailer. It had all the hallmarks of a typical Hollywood trailer where they show you EVERYTHING that happens, leaving nothing to the imagination.

That's not what happens. It's pretty damn good.

Spoiler:
That final fight scene was pretty damn good.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Re: Jurassic World

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:57 pm UTC

Last night I actually uttered the words, "Wow, that was actually a... really good trailer." The newest one, where the voice-over machine is glitching out. THAT was so far the ONLY thing that's made me want to actually shell out the $$$ to see it (that, and my kids have taken to kicking me in the shins and demanding I take them).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:(that, and my kids have taken to kicking me in the shins and demanding I take them).
So what I hear you saying is that kicking you in the shins and demanding you take me to a movie will get me tickets to a movie...

With you.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Minerva

Postby Minerva » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:58 pm UTC

While watching the film, there was a moment where I thought of this:

http://xkcd.com/135/
...suffer from the computer disease that anybody who works with computers now knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is you play with them. They are so wonderful. - Richard Feynman

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:23 pm UTC

While it was good that the trailer didn't tell you everything that happens, the trailer did make the movie look a lot worse that it actually turned out to be!

Spoiler:
I loved the dino-fight scenes, my favourite was the one with the ankylosaur. Also, I thought from the trailer that the poor t-rex was going to be relegated to a goat-eating boring attraction, it was really cool that they brought it back at the end. My bf had called from the trailers that the death of the Indominus was going to be the water one.

I'm glad that it poked fun at itself as well - making fun of the name, etc.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:41 pm UTC

I thought it was good, and really enjoyed it, but it had some fairly major flaws as well. It was definitely a spiritual successor to the original movie; there were so many references - some subtle, some less so - to the original film. It's pretty sexist - the female lead is not totally incapable, but has a lot of the standard 'incompetent CEO' tropes loaded onto her. There aren't really any other women to speak of - the only two other named female characters are there purely to be worried about the male characters, and every other female in the movie is teenage-girl-eye-candy for the main-cast teenage boy. There are certainly no females capable of holding their own against any of the dinosaurs. I didn't notice this much when I was watching the movie, because the dinosaurs are the real stars, but it certainly irked me later.

Spoiler:
If you've seen the previous movies, it's totally obvious from the outset that the Indominus Rex is a Velociraptor/T-Rex cross, so that's hardly a surprise. The whole military angle felt completely unnecessary, and added almost nothing to the plot. There's this evil guy who wants to use the velociraptors as weapons, so of course he gets eaten by one, but he never really does anything else of consequence, and his crack team of commandos in an InGen helicopter shoot one dinosaur while flying to the island, then are never shown again. The geneticist who was conspiring with them all also just vanished half way through. It felt like that whole subplot was originally scripted to be bigger, but was semi-aborted, and maybe they probably should've just scrapped the whole thing. The movie would've worked fine with just the dinosaurs as adversaries, but I suppose they felt they needed to keep some kind of human villain, ala Nedry.

I thought the ending was pretty anti-climactic too. Clearly the Indominus was going to destroy the T-Rex in a fight. It's bigger and much smarter. But still, it gave you this epic dinosaur fight then, suddenly giant fish dinosaur (not unpredictable, just anticlimactic), and the movie ended.

Just to reiterate, though, I really did enjoy the movie. The plot holes and sexism didn't detract much from the nostalgia and spectacle of the dinosaurs themselves, and it was a very fun 2 hours in the cinema.

charliepanayi

Postby charliepanayi » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:11 pm UTC

Second biggest opening weekend ever in the US - audiences say yes to genetically engineered dinosaurs!
"Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying"

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:43 am UTC

Adacore wrote: the female lead is not totally incapable, but has a lot of the standard 'incompetent CEO' tropes loaded onto her

I wouldn't say that's a sexist thing, but more an anti-CEO thing. Hammond wasn't exactly super-competent either.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:22 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
Adacore wrote: the female lead is not totally incapable, but has a lot of the standard 'incompetent CEO' tropes loaded onto her

I wouldn't say that's a sexist thing, but more an anti-CEO thing. Hammond wasn't exactly super-competent either.

I completely agree, but when she's basically the only woman in the entire movie, those tropes don't exactly help.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:15 pm UTC

I'm glad that they had her:
Spoiler:
go after the children herself
not manage to break a heel - they mentioned the high heels, but didn't have the annoying heel thing
I don't think they had her fall over at any point and lie there screaming
be the one to lure the t-rex out to attack

It was annoying that they didn't have her stand up more against her sister for the 'when you have kids comment' but at least there was never a 'I'm definitely having kids now moment'.

Not that I'm saying it's the most feminist movie, but even though they gave her the incompetent CEO tropes, at least she was a CEO, and they never felt they had to justify it - no 'oh, she's such a genius, she's the first/youngest/woman CEO evah!'.

Also, I liked then the woman in the control room stopped Jake Johnson from kissing her. Good twist on a trope.
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:52 pm UTC

And then there's the whole Zara thing:

Spoiler:
What the Actual Fuck!? Was there any purpose beyond reminding us that the mosasaurus was there? Even Hoskins, who (arguably) deserved a horrible end, fared better than her. Is it because she's 'closer' to the main characters, so we can really feel sorry for her? No matter what, that death got dragged out longer than necessary.

I loved the movie, but that was the part that bothered me the most.

roband

Postby roband » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:57 pm UTC

Zara was the assistant?
Spoiler:
You mean I should feel bad for laughing during the entirety of the build up to her death?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:18 pm UTC

Slashdot poll: Ways to improve Jurassic World?

T-rex/frozen yogurt machine hybrid - 103 votes / 6%
Velociraptor trained to find loose change - 142 votes / 8%
Giant skateboard for mosasaur's land journeys - 70 votes / 4%
Franchise extinction: purification through fire - 342 votes / 20%
Why all the hate? I rather liked it - 392 votes / 23%
I'm indifferent to a Jurassic Park reboot. - 621 votes / 37%

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:43 pm UTC

roband wrote:Zara was the assistant?
Spoiler:
You mean I should feel bad for laughing during the entirety of the build up to her death?

Spoiler:
Yeah, I think that was supposed to be for comic relief as well. The CGI definitely fell down there.

I think they killed her off because she was British?
GNU Terry Pratchett

Derek

Postby Derek » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

It was a lot of build up for a very good, but short, monster fight at the end. Godzilla did it better.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:14 pm UTC

pkcommando wrote:And then there's the whole Zara thing:

Spoiler:
What the Actual Fuck!? Was there any purpose beyond reminding us that the mosasaurus was there? Even Hoskins, who (arguably) deserved a horrible end, fared better than her. Is it because she's 'closer' to the main characters, so we can really feel sorry for her? No matter what, that death got dragged out longer than necessary.

I loved the movie, but that was the part that bothered me the most.

Spoiler:
I think the idea was meant to be that she was incompetent in looking after the kids, and was annoying and overly controlling (only letting them see the tamest, most boring parts of the park), and thus we should be glad that she got what she "deserved".

Probably in (one of) the original script(s) she would've had longer to justify her fate before the kids ran away, but some of that was cut? It certainly seemed entirely unnecessary and undeserved to me.

The ~10 years of development hell was totally obvious in that there were way too many subplots, most of which were poorly developed and/or just vanished half way through with no resolution. You could tell it was an attempt to combine a dozen different scripts into something that worked. With that in mind, I think they did a pretty good job, I just wish they'd had a single, well written script to work with instead.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Spoiler:
It was annoying that they didn't have her stand up more against her sister for the 'when you have kids comment' but at least there was never a 'I'm definitely having kids now moment'.

I think you misunderstood that part. Judy Greer said "if you have kids", which CEO-lady reiterated, causing Judy to correct it to "when you have kids". They original 'if' implied that Judy thought she might not ever be able to have kids, not that she should have kids even though she doesn't want them.

I thought the movie was rather shitty. The editing was all over the place, they wasted the damn theme on a scene of a helicopter landing, the plot structure was very jumbled (probably because of the reason Adacore says), even the big fight scene at the end wasn't that impressive.

Also, while the effect for the dinosaurs were okay, that bird in the beginning was horrendous.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:46 pm UTC

Meh, if you say so.

I liked the bird at the beginning.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:55 pm UTC

The scene, yeah. The CGI, no.
You rang?

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:36 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
Zarq wrote:

I completely agree, but when she's basically the only woman in the entire movie, those tropes don't exactly help.

That's as maybe, but Jurassic Park (and really, a lot of Michael Crighton stuff) have always been very strongly anti-corporate, almost as a central theme.

Spoiler:
As far as the military angle of the movie, yeah that didn't really go much of anywhere with this movie, but the fact that they were talking about creating more of the Indominus and, as far as we saw, were able to successfully escape with the geneticist and all of the necessary samples, indicated to me that it was very much a sequel hook. The whole thing seemed to be "here's background on how the hell this happened, and look forward to Jurassic World 2: Indominus War coming in 2018".
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:32 am UTC

I feel a little guilty, because I spent probably 80% of the film joking with a friend about the film, which is... really shitty movie patron etiquette, but comon, the film was either an homage to our childhood from 20 years ago or a hilarious romp through kiddie pool depth plot developments. The big reveal of the Insipidious (or Insidious or Invictus or I-don't-give-a-fuck-it-has-spikes) Rex being part raptor made us all burst out laughing as someone in the theater shouted 'IT"S PART HUUUUUUUUMAN' to which my friend belts out 'THE MOST DANGEROUS GAAAAAAAAAAAME'. The film builds up like a dozen different plot potentials and just drops them all - The bigasaurus rex isn't socialized, but it totes socializes with the raptors, which could have been a great plot point as the raptors have to choose between Pratt or their 'new alpha'. The genetics lab has scawy snakes and chameleons, so maybe the thing can do more than just camouflage (which it did once, maybe, barely?), buuuuuuuuut meh, the things dead in the next scene because... whatever. The military fucks everything up by applying more force but WHY DOESN'T THE PARK HAVE MORE FORCE TO BEGIN WITH?

Those jeeps are awesome, fully gassed and still ready to go after 20 years of just sitting in a wet garage. Bryce Dallas Howard spends a lot of time running in heels. The kids were totally forgettable but oooooo puberty and divorce and I"LL ALWAYS BE THERE WE"RE BROTHERS.

It was fun. I'm glad I was a little drunk, and had a friend to joke with, because this was by no means a well written film. I felt like Pratt should have shouted YOU"RE MY BOY BLUE as she ran down the esplanade, and I half expected her to duck into a Starbucks for a iced mocha latte.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:57 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:

Ehhh. She gets her one moment to be badass and shoot to save the day...and then she hand the gun back to the man. Who already has a gun.....wut?

It's not JUST her being a terrible, incompetent CEO, though it's that as well. There's also stuff like everyone stopping to give her shit about not popping out babies already, or being bad at mothering. Even when literally being hunted by dinosaurs, it's more important to rip on her maternal skills. Jesus, it was bad.

I like the bits that involved actual dinosaurs fighting and eating people, mostly, because...if I didn't enjoy that, I wouldn't have gone to see Jurassic anything. The rest was pretty much rubbish. The anvilacious anti-science, anti-corporate, anti-military crap just got obnoxious.

The part where a what, eight year old, is an expert on repairing neglected vehicles from the 90s was cringe-worthy as well. Just calling him autistic at one point doesn't justify him being a magic plot solution.

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:29 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:It's not JUST her being a terrible, incompetent CEO, though it's that as well. There's also stuff like everyone stopping to give her shit about not popping out babies already, or being bad at mothering. Even when literally being hunted by dinosaurs, it's more important to rip on her maternal skills. Jesus, it was bad.

I know such overbearing pressure is a problem, but her interactions with Owen and her sister seemed to me to be pointing more at that she wants to meet someone/have kids/etc., but has trouble finding someone because she is so obsessed with control. Given the major theme of the series being that the "control" is an illusion and you shouldn't be risking people's lives for the chance of profit, that seems way more reasonable to me.

Yeah, it's not done very clearly and can be (mis)interpreted as some pretty offensive sexist tropes, but I don't think those are accurate interpretations.
From the elegant yelling of this compelling dispute comes the ghastly suspicion my opposition's a fruit.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:09 am UTC

I agree with Tyn - I'm reminded of a scene from one of the Fast and Furious films, where a woman drives a motorcycle up to the protagonist, rescuing him from the bad guys, only to scoot to the back of the bike allowing him to drive. The trope of 'over controlling CEO' would have been fine, but annoyingly the only characterization she was really given was her sisters insistence that having kids is TOOOOOOOOOTALLY worth it, snifflechuckle, you sound just like mom.

Hilariously, despite her being a woman managing the worlds most prestigious and expensive theme park, her power as a character is mostly just being a nervous tight ass doesn't really command the respect of anyone around her.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:19 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
The part where a what, eight year old, is an expert on repairing neglected vehicles from the 90s was cringe-worthy as well. Just calling him autistic at one point doesn't justify him being a magic plot solution.

Didn't the 16-year old repair the vehicles?

There's also stuff like everyone stopping to give her shit about not popping out babies already, or being bad at mothering. Even when literally being hunted by dinosaurs, it's more important to rip on her maternal skills.

When was that? I only remember the scene in the beginning, where she's talking to Cheryl Kitty the kids' mom.
You rang?

KrytenKoro

Postby KrytenKoro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:When was that? I only remember the scene in the beginning, where she's talking to Cheryl Kitty the kids' mom.

I guess they're talking about the kids saying they wanted to stay with Owen, after she thought they were desperate to stay with her. If so, I don't agree with that -- that's a more a rip on her having a handle on the situation, not being maternal or not. They want to be with Owen because he can handle what the hell is going on, not because he's a good dad at all.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:38 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Hilariously, despite her being a woman managing the worlds most prestigious and expensive theme park, her power as a character is mostly just being a nervous tight ass doesn't really command the respect of anyone around her.

That's part of it. Most evil CEO sorts are actually portrayed as the guy in charge. She...is not at all. Her actually being obsessed with control would make sense if she kind of had it, and you got to watch her lose it. Instead, there's the guy who owns everything, the guy who makes the things(but she knows nothing about), the guy who...okay, I don't even know WHAT random evil military guys job actually was, but he was more in control than she was.

Zarq wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

Negative. The young one IDs the vehicles, and the old one says "remember time when we did some car rebuilding project because that's totally a plausible thing that eight year olds do", and the young one is hauling around batteries and stuff. It...it's a stretch.

Zarq wrote:
There's also stuff like everyone stopping to give her shit about not popping out babies already, or being bad at mothering. Even when literally being hunted by dinosaurs, it's more important to rip on her maternal skills.

When was that? I only remember the scene in the beginning, where she's talking to Cheryl Kitty the kids' mom.

Eight year old kid gives her shit about her parenting skills later in the movie. I forget the exact point, but it was post "dinos are out" time, when it's just "really, you needed to hammer on that YET AGAIN?"

KrytenKoro wrote:
Zarq wrote:When was that? I only remember the scene in the beginning, where she's talking to Cheryl Kitty the kids' mom.

I guess they're talking about the kids saying they wanted to stay with Owen, after she thought they were desperate to stay with her. If so, I don't agree with that -- that's a more a rip on her having a handle on the situation, not being maternal or not. They want to be with Owen because he can handle what the hell is going on, not because he's a good dad at all.

There was also that. Different time. I may need to rewatch it to properly line up my criticisms, but I *really* don't want to feed such a crappy message more money, yknow?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:32 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Hilariously, despite her being a woman managing the worlds most prestigious and expensive theme park, her power as a character is mostly just being a nervous tight ass doesn't really command the respect of anyone around her.
That's part of it. Most evil CEO sorts are actually portrayed as the guy in charge. She...is not at all. Her actually being obsessed with control would make sense if she kind of had it, and you got to watch her lose it. Instead, there's the guy who owns everything, the guy who makes the things(but she knows nothing about), the guy who...okay, I don't even know WHAT random evil military guys job actually was, but he was more in control than she was.
This. Her entire role definitely felt more slap sticky, and she doesn't really do anything of consequence other than preventing one of her employees (the hilariously disheveled manchild) from spilling a slurpee. The mothering connotations here were annoying as fuck.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Zarq wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:

Negative. The young one IDs the vehicles, and the old one says "remember time when we did some car rebuilding project because that's totally a plausible thing that eight year olds do", and the young one is hauling around batteries and stuff. It...it's a stretch.

I don't think it's a stretch for a kid obsessed with the park to know what vehicles they used. As for the hauling around batteries, that seemed to be more helping his older brother than actually being in charge of the repair. It doesn't even come close to the the "It's a UNIX system" from the first movie in terms of magic plot solution.
You rang?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:09 pm UTC

Anyone/everyone may know that Jurassic Park had jeeps. That doesn't mean such a person would also know how to repair a 20 year old jeep that's been rotting in a wet garage, or that such a repair would be as simple as cranking a wrench a few times and putting in a new battery.

The spare battery came from another jeep, but assuming it didn't, that's an impressive storage locker that can keep a battery dry in the jungle for 20 years. The night vision goggles still worked! As in, they were still powered and all. That is an IMPRESSIVE piece of tech!

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:39 am UTC

I think she did pretty well for herself, honestly, and I don't think her portrayal was particularly sexist.

She was a corporate executive. Not really involved in the science or security sides of the park, but very much with it's public face, business, corporate sponsorship, etc. When things went to hell, of course she wasn't going to have a grip on it. As for the 'maternal' things, I don't think it was so much maternal as it was just having good social interaction in the first place. When your nephews visit who you haven't seen in years, nobody's saying you have to be a surrogate mother, but some attention to even plain old guests is common courtesy as opposed to sticking them with an assistant.

Given the track record of executive figures in Jurassic Park, she did pretty significantly well for herself.

Spoiler:
I thought the final fight scene was pretty decent as a homage back to the original movie. A lot of the common themes. And bringing the T Rex back for the finale I think was just good service to the franchise. I think it was also pretty symbolic of the 'natural' vs 'artificial' thing they had going there.

SpaceMammoth

Postby SpaceMammoth » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:31 pm UTC

Its hard to mess up a film with dinosaurs in from my perspective, I am happy to ignore any plot issues or acting problems and just watch the dinos.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:29 am UTC

Angua wrote:While it was good that the trailer didn't tell you everything that happens, the trailer did make the movie look a lot worse that it actually turned out to be!
This is entirely true and I am never judging a movie by its trailer(s) again.

Spoiler:
I agree with the badness of the script...the entirety of the brothers' subplot was like a bunch of cliches, and the older brother didn't seem to buy into it at all either! I kinda felt he was saying "god I can't believe I'm saying this Oh me yarm let me text my gf" every time he spoke. The geneticist's subplot was weird and didn't seem like it added anything to the movie except to give Pratt the ability to say "IT'S ACTUALLY A RAPTOR". The military guy was also terrible and was obviously going to die. I've come to terms with summer blockbusters having bad writing in general though and am just preemptively disappointed every time.

Luckily this film did not need much of a plot, since the scary/action/DINORAWRS scenes were very well executed.

I think there was a good bit of sexism involved with Dallas Howard's character but she didn't seem to give too much of a shit, so neither did I.

4.5/5, would get spooked/enjoy/laugh/HOLY SHIT again.

Izawwlgood wrote:The night vision goggles still worked! As in, they were still powered and all. That is an IMPRESSIVE piece of tech!
Well they were heavy.

Also the name of the dino was Darth Rex.

Derek wrote:Godzilla did it better.
Ahahahahaha no.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:41 am UTC

Basically the movie feels like something written by a 8-year old who's REALLY into dinosaurs and entertainment wrestling.

It's silly, and if you let go of your need for things like "logic" and "internal consistency" and in general just want to watch dinosaurs do dinosaur-like things that aren't necessarily 100% historically accurate, it's pretty entertaining. If these things are important to you however, you should probably watch something else.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:45 am UTC

That was some good entertainment. The plot went all over the place, but it had a common theme of dinos. "duh" you might say, but given this is Hollywood, they could've inserted a random scene back at home that doesn't relate to dinosaurs at all.
I liked the part where the geneticist gave an in-universe reason for the dinos to be so different from nowaday's consensus. That's probably one of two reasons for him to be in the film –the other being that he's necessary for the sequel.

I didn't understand the part where the boys said they wanted to stay with Owen much rather than Claire. Claire was dealing pretty well with the situation (you know, surviving while dozens of military guys just died) and made it clear that she was looking after them, while Owen was busy being the "hero" and setting raptors loose, which then turned against them.

Minerva wrote:While watching the film, there was a moment where I thought of this:
http://xkcd.com/135/

Yes, exactly!

I found it peculiar that the frankensaurus managed to learn all its traits on one particular day. And the fact that it was monitored by only 1 (ONE) guard and a system that only warns you when you start the locate routine. (though I does have a fancy interface that shows a big red blinking artsy "MISSING" message. It makes you wonder if the budget was well spent. (Yes of course this design is chosen because it should appeal to the audience; it wouldn't make sense in-universe))

Izawwlgood wrote:The spare battery came from another jeep, but assuming it didn't, that's an impressive storage locker that can keep a battery dry in the jungle for 20 years. The night vision goggles still worked! As in, they were still powered and all. That is an IMPRESSIVE piece of tech!

You heard the investor: spare no expense. Wait, was that also the motto in the previous park?

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:05 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
Derek wrote:Godzilla did it better.
Ahahahahaha no.

The final fight in Godzilla was so much better than the final fight in Jurassic World.
You rang?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:32 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Absolutely.

... MJ... that gif... it's glorious.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:00 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:The spare battery came from another jeep, but assuming it didn't, that's an impressive storage locker that can keep a battery dry in the jungle for 20 years. The night vision goggles still worked! As in, they were still powered and all. That is an IMPRESSIVE piece of tech!

You heard the investor: spare no expense. Wait, was that also the motto in the previous park?

Obviously, that attitude did not extend to redundant barriers to keep the people eaters apart from the people.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:55 pm UTC

Yes, they spared no expense at researching the minimal amount of barrier needed for a 95% chance that the dinosaurs stay inside.
I'd say the high walls for dinostein were far from optimal –the scratch marks barely got halfway to the top. They simply could've used 4m high electric fences. :lol:

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”