Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

rath358
The bone of my bone

Battlebots is back!

Postby rath358 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:35 pm UTC

And it is awesomer than ever!

Episode 2 thoughts:
Spoiler:
Overhaul vs Lockjaw was awesome. A lot closer than their stats implied.
The first Complete Control vc Ghostraptor match was great. The net was hilarious, and everyone did a good job of keeping cool heads before going into a rematch. I would have let Complete control take the match, but that wouldn't be good for fans. It was too bad to see Complete Control break on the arena, that could have been a better fight.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Re: Battlebots is back!

Postby Isaac Hill » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:44 am UTC

I'll have to check this out. I watched a lot of the Comedy Central episodes when I was in grad school (2000-2002). It was an engineering school, so some of the other students/recent alumni and I thought about building one. I taped a bunch of episodes to watch for research/ideas.

But, the guy in charge had a bad habit of cancelling meetings at the last minute. Once, I got up, checked my e-mail, and found no cancelation notice for the meeting scheduled in an hour or two. So, I grabbed my tapes, went to lunch, and headed to the meeting building. By the time I get there, another student is telling me the meeting's been cancelled. Since you never knew if the meeting would happen or not, no one ever set aside time to go, so no one went, and the idea fell apart.

I think I still have the tapes. I also found some Battlebots toys when cleaning my basement.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:43 am UTC

rath358 wrote:And it is awesomer than ever!

Episode 2 thoughts:
Spoiler:
Overhaul vs Lockjaw was awesome. A lot closer than their stats implied.
The first Complete Control vc Ghostraptor match was great. The net was hilarious, and everyone did a good job of keeping cool heads before going into a rematch. I would have let Complete control take the match, but that wouldn't be good for fans. It was too bad to see Complete Control break on the arena, that could have been a better fight.

Spoiler:
I was really impressed with how well Complete Control did considering the problems they were obviously having. Would have liked to see them get in on a wildcard at least, could have pushed out Warhead as they're pretty obviously outclassed by everyone left and we'd have a chance at a Complete Control v. Ghost Raptor grudge match later on with both bots fully operational. Or, if they'd won with the net trick, then we would've gotten to see more of the other matches they only showed clips from and maybe Nightmare or Sweet Revenge could've gotten that wildcard.

I can't wait to see what the rest of the season looks like!
Last edited by EdgarJPublius on Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:55 am UTC

I was happy to see that the fighting part is mostly focused on the robots fighting eachother. Too bad it's only about 6 minutes per week.

Also, what was up with the MIT guys? They acted (could it be "acted" as in "staged; it's all scripted anyway"?) very aggressively after their loss.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:00 pm UTC

A lot of people involved in the show and sport are over on /r/battlebots. According to what some of them have said (the one poster I've seen who's part of the MIT team hasn't replied to questions about the incident that I've seen, so this comes from other people who were present but not directly involved) is that the anger was real and not staged. Probably a combination of frustration at being KOd at the last minute when they had been doing really well up to that point, and the late hit by Lockjaw. I can't really blame them, that late hit was pretty egregious, I was screaming at the screen myself when it happened.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:13 pm UTC

Ah, right, I'm used to robot wars, where a robot must be immobile for 30 seconds before it has lost. Then again, this arena doesn't have other contestants or pesky house robots that could've meddled with that immobility (only lockjaw, who could've been so silly as to straighten the other bot).

The late "hit" wasn't so much a hit as it was a bump. No need to harbour hate for it.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:21 am UTC

Flumble wrote:I was happy to see that the fighting part is mostly focused on the robots fighting eachother. Too bad it's only about 6 minutes per week.
I watched a couple episodes, and this is my only complaint. Comedy Central used to do 3 matches in 30 minutes. This show is 4 matches in 60. With 3 minutes per match, that's a max of 12 minutes, 20% of airtime, for actual fights. I'm pretty sure the commercials take more time than that.

One episode had 2 KOs, one a minute in, the other 45 seconds, so about 7:45 total of actual fighting. They could cut all the stuff where 3 people stand around talking about stats and fit a couple more fights. One of the standing people made a crack about wondering where those numbers come from. I sincerely wanted to know. If you're going to show me numbers instead of fighting robots, those numbers better be damn interesting.

I did get to see a flamethrowing robot get flipped through the air. At least that was worth the wait.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:27 am UTC

I don't get the purpose of the flame throwers. They don't seem to have any effect other than look cool. Is that their primary purpose?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:48 am UTC

The motor controllers can be pretty heat sensitive. There've been a couple of matches where bots had mobility issues without taking obvious damage and I'd bet that's the cause.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:16 am UTC

Isaac Hill wrote:
Flumble wrote:I was happy to see that the fighting part is mostly focused on the robots fighting eachother. Too bad it's only about 6 minutes per week.
I watched a couple episodes, and this is my only complaint. Comedy Central used to do 3 matches in 30 minutes. This show is 4 matches in 60. With 3 minutes per match, that's a max of 12 minutes, 20% of airtime, for actual fights. I'm pretty sure the commercials take more time than that.

One episode had 2 KOs, one a minute in, the other 45 seconds, so about 7:45 total of actual fighting. They could cut all the stuff where 3 people stand around talking about stats and fit a couple more fights. One of the standing people made a crack about wondering where those numbers come from. I sincerely wanted to know. If you're going to show me numbers instead of fighting robots, those numbers better be damn interesting.

I did get to see a flamethrowing robot get flipped through the air. At least that was worth the wait.

This always struck me about Battlebots when I saw a couple of episodes. The UK equivalent, Robot Wars, had 7 fights each week, 5 minutes each. Somehow they fit this all into a 45 minute show. I'm pretty sure they didn't edit the fights down.

Robot Wars also had Lister from Red Dwarf bellowing from some scaffolding instead of two guys in suits sat at a desk.

EDIT: Having read wikipedia it seems the format was quite different to what I remembered, but it was definitely way more action heavy and far less standing around talking (and absolutely no pre-recorded segments showing the homes of the people in the competition).

EDIT2: Seems I'm remembering this phase the show went through when it was pure knockout competition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_War ... Third_Wars
I also had no idea the first series was presented by Jeremy Clarkson. Wow.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:46 pm UTC

I'm very much interested in Bronco vs all the spinners. Yes, I'm hoping it'll become the champion.
Bronco has good pilots and an amazing flipper, so all it has to do is power up and flip the contestants out of the arena.

Then again, what will ghost raptor come up with if they have to fight against bronco? Anti-gravity so bronco will fly itself out of the arena?

Mutex wrote:Robot Wars, had 7 fights each week, 5 minutes each. Somehow they fit this all into a 45 minute show. I'm pretty sure they didn't edit the fights down.

The editing of Robot Wars fights was all over the place, I believe. A lot of fights have dead moments and the TV show was all about fast-paced action mesmerizing kids, so it really has to be. And it was awesome.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:56 pm UTC

Well, the finals were certainly interesting.
Spoiler:
It's a shame to see Bronco mutilated by a spinning bar instead of flipping the other bot out of the arena, but it certainly was an entertaining match. I love how Tombstone's momentum ejected its battery packs. Maybe Tombstone coud use a counter-turning blade.
The other matches were a bit silly because they had slow lifting "weapons" in them. None of them had flamethrowers or hydraulic claws. I'm not saying it should be all about entertainment (quite the opposite), but it's not a real final if there's no flamethrower! :lol: (where are those pesky house robots?)

If only Tombstone had a gear box or combustion engine for its blade, then it could've made such enormous impacts, that... I guess, Tombstone would probably break in two or at least the drive chain would snap.
Ok, maybe it's better off this way. :P

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”