Terminator: Genesys (SPOILERS!)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Christo

Terminator: Genesys (SPOILERS!)

Postby Christo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:36 pm UTC

I read the reviews before going, so I knew it wasn't going to be good and could actually enjoy some aspects of it--like Arnold "taking the long way." That being said, I'm sort of baffled how a movie this bad gets made. I mean, I've watched all of the movies at least twice, so I'm fairly steeped in the mythology, but I found the plot line to be pretty convoluted, the dialog to be horrible, and some of the acting to be atrocious. Any ideas?
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

Flumble
Yes Man

Re: Terminator: Genesys (SPOILERS!)

Postby Flumble » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:50 pm UTC

I'm wondering: the futuristic sci-fi in the first and second films was, to me, pretty horrible, while it was decent in the fourth film. How does this abomination new film compare?

Christo

Postby Christo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:56 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I'm wondering: the futuristic sci-fi in the first and second films was, to me, pretty horrible, while it was decent in the fourth film. How does this abomination new film compare?

The future looks pretty much identical to the way it was shown in the first films. The 80's somehow looks cheesier. And the contemporary stuff is bizarre because the main character's are marveling at iPads.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:03 pm UTC

It was a little ludicrous how much people seemed to care about Genesys for no reason whatsoever.

I found it an enjoyable enough flick if you turned your brain off. Danerys is cute, if entirely unconvincing with the equipment she was given. Old Schwartznegger jokes were fun, but the changing explanations and apparent swap to many-worlds is...kind of obnoxious.

I blame the time lords.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:55 pm UTC

I liked it.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:47 am UTC

If you have any questions about the plot hopefully this video helps:

Scientist Man Explains Terminator: Genisys

Christo

Postby Christo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:24 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:I liked it.

I wanted to like it, and I had such low expectations that I almost did. What did you like about it?

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:44 am UTC

Christo wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:I liked it.

I wanted to like it, and I had such low expectations that I almost did. What did you like about it?

I went in expecting it would be absolute shit. Instead it was sort of enjoyable. Okay, the plot was a bit meh and the trailer had already spoiled anything potentially surprising about the movie, but there were moments I found hilarious.

Spoiler'd cause about specific parts of the movie.
Spoiler:
The look on Reeses face when they finally tell him he's Connor's dad, and having Matt Smith as the big bad Genisys, had me laughing quite a bit. There were a couple of other moments as well, but I don't remember those anymore.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Christo

Postby Christo » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:49 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:I went in expecting it would be absolute shit. Instead it was sort of enjoyable. Okay, the plot was a bit meh and the trailer had already spoiled anything potentially surprising about the movie, but there were moments I found hilarious.

Yeah, I guess I felt the same way about Ant-Man--which I thoroughly enjoyed. To each their own.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”