Iron Man Movie Discussion

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Iron Man Movie Discussion

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 19, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

Besides, people will sleep with anything that gets them hot and bothered, and whats hotter and bother-er then someone who is your moral opposite?

Also, she worked for VANITY FAIR, which makes her very very opposite a hippy. veryveryveryvery opposite.

If you like the idea of infanty in Iron man suits, read Starship Troopers. No, it had very little in common with the crappy movie by the same name.

The biggest problem I had with the combat, occurred near the end when his gauntlet is ripped off and he continues fighting. As if the forces the suit were generating could be held up with a human hand, squishy and fleshy as it may be. Something I loved about the comics, is everytime he gets Hulk Smashed(!) or shot with armor piercing or TANK rounds, the suit gets FUCKED up and he does too. They surgically remove the suit from him and his hands shattered or his femur is snapped or his ribs are broken and he goes "Ouch, I'm glad the Iron Man suit injects enough painkiller to dull this, because that looks really painful" and he recovers.

Some of my favorite superhero moments are when they get hurt and it is revealed how human they still are.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed May 28, 2008 5:31 am UTC

Finally saw this yesterday. That first suit, I was thinking the whole time "modern day Ned Kelly."

Does anyone else think that the flying / steering using the repulsor thingys on his hands looked really dorky?
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Wed May 28, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Does anyone else think that the flying / steering using the repulsor thingys on his hands looked really dorky?

I didn't notice it until later, but he has to do a little almost-dancer pose with his palms down when he's hovering before landing. It's a little silly, but in a fun way.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed May 28, 2008 2:21 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Finally saw this yesterday. That first suit, I was thinking the whole time "modern day Ned Kelly."

Does anyone else think that the flying / steering using the repulsor thingys on his hands looked really dorky?

Yes, but I thought it was more of a "He's still figuring out what he can and can't do with the suit" thing and that later he'll likely look less dorky.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed May 28, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

JayDee wrote:Does anyone else think that the flying / steering using the repulsor thingys on his hands looked really dorky?

I am of the persuasion that the suit could have pink poney's and hearts on it and be definitively not dorky.

Good god man, listen to your question!

JayDee wrote:Does anyone else think that the flying / steering using the MEGAATOMICDEATHBLASTORAY on his hands looked really dorky?

Fixed
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Thu May 29, 2008 8:28 am UTC

Dorky was the word I settled on. Awkward may have been better. I thought it was cute.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu May 29, 2008 9:58 am UTC

Hmmm. i found this website and hope its true
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/05/09/ ... -iron-man/

Pretty much saying that captain America's shield was on Stark's desk... If anyone sees it can they confirm if this is actually there or if it is just a shadow or something. I saw the movie thought it was awesome but i am too poor to go again just to see a shield.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

I don't mean to be a nay-sayer, but given the continuity of the movie, unless it was placed as an Easter Egg, Cappy's shield wouldn't be in Tony Starks possession.

What I mean is, the shield was not an invention of Tony Stark, and Steve Rogers is not the type of guy to leave his gear lying around.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu May 29, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I don't mean to be a nay-sayer, but given the continuity of the movie, unless it was placed as an Easter Egg, Cappy's shield wouldn't be in Tony Starks possession.

What I mean is, the shield was not an invention of Tony Stark, and Steve Rogers is not the type of guy to leave his gear lying around.

In the continuity of the movie, Captain America is stillfrozen in an ice floe somewhere in the Arctic. Perhaps Tony borrowed a spare shield to test the alloy or something.

And I wouldn't be surprised if, when the eventual Avengers movie comes around, Tony Stark DOES invent the modern one.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 29, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Er, if I'm not mistaken, the modern one is the same one he was using back in the day. Made of Vibranium, which they were never able to replicate again but experiments to attempt to do so lead to adamantium, if I remember correctly. Not that it means much, as the writers usually don't pay attention to what was said before they came along.

Anyway, I find it odd that there's no shield here (1:08ish) but there is something that might be it here.

Ah, well.. post-production add in, I suppose.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu May 29, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

In the comics, sure, but movie continuity is not comic continuity. It's an incredibly irrelevant change (that will surely piss off the worst fanboys) to say that maybe when he was frozen in ice, his shield wasn't with him. Alternately, you can simply say that, no, the shield he's using in the present is not the one he used in the past. His original shield was triangular, so they could easily use that for scenes in the past. And that's just my uncreative ass working things out.

But yeah, it's a vibranium-iron alloy that led to the development of adamantium.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 30, 2008 1:46 am UTC

True enough. It's closer to, but not identical to, the Ultimates timeline.. and I can't remember how Capt'n's shield worked in that...

I should go re-see this movie when it hits the dollar theater...

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

I seem to remember Ultimate Cap using the triangle shield in WW2 and a circular one now, but it's been a LONG time since I read those issues of Ultimates.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:47 am UTC

From the link:
UPDATE: Just a few days ago, Marvel's President of Production Kevin Feige confirmed in person that it is Captain America's shield. You can read the details in this article here. Also confirmed by Feige is that the solo Captain America movie will take place in WWII, which follows the origin story from the comics closely. Feige does seem to confirm that this is only an easter egg and won't necessarily be a part of any future sequels or the Marvel universe. The Avengers is also in the works for a summer 2001 release.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

i think that is supposed to be 2011 btw... A typo on the actual website. Either way, Oh me yarm comic movies make me happy. I know that they destroy the story line and so forth, but the more and more that comics get pushed into mainstream media (and succeed) the more money they will pump into making comics which then means more comics that kick ass.

Although hopefully they wont try to make comics just so they can easily make a movie out of them :shock:
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

SpitValve wrote:I heard executive meddling had a large effect on Spiderman 3: They'd already written the script, but the execs decided that Venom was too popular to not be in the movie, so they jammed him in there. Some people say that there are still some scenes that only make sense if you pretend Venom isn't there...

You took that from TVTropes, didn't you?
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:From the link:
...The Avengers is also in the works for a summer 2001 release.

Gojoe wrote:i think that is supposed to be 2011 btw... A typo on the actual website

And here I was hoping it was time travel.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:34 am UTC

william wrote:
SpitValve wrote:I heard executive meddling had a large effect on Spiderman 3: They'd already written the script, but the execs decided that Venom was too popular to not be in the movie, so they jammed him in there. Some people say that there are still some scenes that only make sense if you pretend Venom isn't there...

That or applying basic reasoning skills to Spiderman 3.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:09 pm UTC

Gojoe wrote:I know that they destroy the story line and so forth,

No, they streamline and adapt. Take what works and cut what doesn't (well, for the good ones, anyway). Someone shouldn't have to know 40 years of Spider-Man history to walk into a movie.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
william wrote:

No, I mean, the sentence structure, the words he used, aside from actually naming Sam Raimi, that's almost exactly the same as Spiderman 3's entry on the TVTropes page for ExecutiveMeddling.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:25 am UTC

william wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:
william wrote:

No, I mean, the sentence structure, the words he used, aside from actually naming Sam Raimi, that's almost exactly the same as Spiderman 3's entry on the TVTropes page for ExecutiveMeddling.

Oh let'im off...
It's a good site, there's nothing original on the internet... Just let it go...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

Oh, there are *some* original things on the internet. It's just that those are the bits you really don't want to know about.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Jiggsy

Postby Jiggsy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:31 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:Oh, there are *some* original things on the internet. It's just that those are the bits you really don't want to know about.

Rule 34? There's a different thread for that... I'd link to it, but i'm too scared to look at it...
Oh, Miss Pacman, I would sex that bow right off your head. Eat those dots you naughty, naughty girl.- The Todd

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:05 am UTC

Jiggsy wrote:
aleflamedyud wrote:Oh, there are *some* original things on the internet. It's just that those are the bits you really don't want to know about.

Rule 34? There's a different thread for that... I'd link to it, but i'm too scared to look at it...

Give in... you can't resist forever...
Somewhere... Deep, Deep down, You're curious...

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:
Jiggsy wrote:

Ah, but we *KNOW* what happens when you bite into that apple.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
Maseiken wrote:
Jiggsy wrote:

Ah, but we *KNOW* what happens when you bite into that apple.

You get thrown out of the Eden that was your Childhood, through the actions of the Serpent known only as...
"Teh Intarworbz"

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:30 am UTC

I just saw it and found that the story was actually the best part of it and kept me interested the entire time, while the action scenes went along way too fast and turned into cluster-fucks most of the time.

Over all, a good movie.

I also like how they make him into a self-made hero and how he is this century's "Da-vinci". Things like that really get me to be interested in the character, plus the addition of a back story of his parents and how their success affected his life.

AtomicCow

Postby AtomicCow » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:10 am UTC

Not sure if this was mentioned, but did everyone see Nick Fury (a la Samuel L. Jackson) after the credits?

I saw it on DVD the other day, and called some friends and none of them caught it. Then again, they didn't catch "Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division". And they call themselves nerds *spit*.

seawolf167

Postby seawolf167 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:02 pm UTC

Just have to post and make sure that you all stayed till the VERY end of the movie (or at least viewed on youtube: or something) the part where Samuel L Jackson set up for the movie "The Avengers"

Also - go watch "The Incredible Hulk 2" and catch the part where the hulk is being set up for "The Avengers" movie as well.

:) can't wait!
The Cake Wasn't a Lie!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

To be fair, that's a different acronym for SHIELD than is used in the comics.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:To be fair, that's a different acronym for SHIELD than is used in the comics.

Sure, but after the third or fourth word he says, you've got to start figuring out that this is either just stupidly long or it's an acronym.
seawolf167 wrote:Just have to post and make sure that you all stayed till the VERY end of the movie (or at least viewed on youtube: or something) the part where Samuel L Jackson set up for the movie "The Avengers"

Also - go watch "The Incredible Hulk 2" and catch the part where the hulk is being set up for "The Avengers" movie as well.

:) can't wait!
2? Are we talking about the one with Edward Norton?
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Guys, there has been six pages of thread. The majority of us are likely even bigger comic book geeks than you. We are all painfully aware of the after-the-credits scene and all other such things. There is no need to post about it like you are the first person to notice this, especially since the film has now been released on DVD.

(I am sorry if this is harsh but I've just spent hours on the Only Revolutions forum where this shit happens all the gorram time).

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”