Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Endless Mike

Re: Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

The next couple episodes are Jeph Loeb-written, so you can basically throw out any old idea since he doesn't really care about things like characterization or continuity just so long as things are COOL.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Yep, Nathan's definitely a puppet. He also feels like a predictable shell filled with "politician" without anything else so that the writers have some representation for the mutants heroes. He acts all sorry and apologizes for not doing anything even though he had "power" and "influence." He had none! His most recent job was as an assistant defense attorney, and all he's ever done since is campaign without ever actually taking office. He could have power and influence, though...if he would just show up on the floor of the Senate instead of mucking around in all this "I want to be president, hmm, but it's a lot of trouble, and I want to keep myself convinced I'm not a soulless ambitious hack, so let's pretend I don't...."

If you have a time traveling brother that got back from the future and tells you that you screwed up, and you can't trust that, who can you trust? The Haitian is still awesome, though.

Noah should have finished the job and buried Sylar six feet deep in the dirt. I'm glad Mohinder at least had the common sense to leave after he noticed the spots returning. How could the comic book geeks not know where Hiro went when they just showed him where he was supposed to go?

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:16 am UTC

...GOD DAMNIT, SYLAR! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!

You have a hot chick, who's a GOOD partner, and is willing to hook up with you (even though you killed her DAD), and you already HAVE her power.....so why the hell did you need to kill her?!?! GRRAAAAAH! :evil:

On the flip side of the coin, apparently Hiro had more tactical savvy when he was 10. Maybe he should never have stopped playing video games....

Oh, and Nathan....yayy for being all impressive-like with slamming the invincible-guy against a car...but wouldn't it have made more sense to, iunno, fly him up above a lake and drop him? Unbreakable skin probably doesn't protect from drowning....

EDIT:

Oh, and regarding Noah killing Sylar, here is my custom-patented step-by-step process for THOROUGHLY disposing of those deemed "unkillable." Feel free to stop at whatever step is beyond your own resources. And this isn't a "pick one" thing, you should follow each step, in order of decreasing efficiency/increasing difficulty.

1: Bullet in the brain.
2: Decapitation.
3: Dismemberment.
4: Burn Incinerate what's left.
5: Put the skeleton through a wood chipper.
6: In SEPARATE CONTAINERS, fill the ashes/bone chips into containers, mixed into a slurry with holy water.
7: Either drop them into volcanos throughout different global locations, wrapped in casks of Unobtainium alloyed with something that won't melt in a volcano, OR drop into different locations in the ocean.
7A: Alternate to step 7, if you have a buddy in NASA: Shoot the containers into the sun.
7B: If you're buddies with someone with a hyperdrive-equipped spacecraft: Drop into multiple black holes.

When something has a tendency to come back from the dead, NEVER assume you've killed them "enough." Also, I'm personally really pissed he didn't take the opportunity to scalp Sylar, same as all of Sylar's victims. The irony* would have been delicious...

*standard pop-culturally accepted definition of "irony."
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:EDIT:

Oh, and regarding Noah killing Sylar, here is my custom-patented step-by-step process for THOROUGHLY disposing of those deemed "unkillable." Feel free to stop at whatever step is beyond your own resources. And this isn't a "pick one" thing, you should follow each step, in order of decreasing efficiency/increasing difficulty.[/size]

I've actually been thinking about this lately. Since their power lies within their brain, you could just take their head off and not put it back ever. It's not like they can regenerate another brain that functions properly. When Claire was scalped, she didn't heal until Sylar put the top of her skull back on. So maybe you could just take her head off and burn her body.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Adam had identical powers, so maybe he was *also* the catalyst. He was killed because they knew about Claire.

No, Arthur just wanted the heal ability. I think that was pretty straightforward.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:11 pm UTC

...so did noah watch them do it before trying to shoot at them?
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:31 pm UTC

sugarhyped wrote:...so did noah watch them do it before trying to shoot at them?

It would seem so. At the end of the last episode, he had a sniper sight on them as they were just kissing. He didn't actually open fire until they'd finished shagging. Noah's a dirty git. :lol:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:00 pm UTC

Maybe he just didn't want to kill Elle, and from his perspective, they kept shuffling themselves in front of the crosshair thing too quickly.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

Megatriorchis wrote:I've actually been thinking about this lately. Since their power lies within their brain, you could just take their head off and not put it back ever. It's not like they can regenerate another brain that functions properly. When Claire was scalped, she didn't heal until Sylar put the top of her skull back on. So maybe you could just take her head off and burn her body.

I think Claire would have regenerated eventually. For argument's sake, let's say she was doing it, just very slowly. She DID chop off her toe and watch it regrow. If that can happen, there's no reason her scalp can't.

sugarhyped

Postby sugarhyped » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:02 am UTC

I think Victory Pratt said that the way to kill someone like Adam or Claire is to take the head off. (w/ claire it was just the scalp so that may have re-grown on it's own)
if they have their head blown off by a shot gun or are guillotined their head cant tell their body "hey grow something."
I wanted a signature. I don't know what to put here yet.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:20 am UTC

sugarhyped wrote:I think Victory Pratt said that the way to kill someone like Adam or Claire is to take the head off. (w/ claire it was just the scalp so that may have re-grown on it's own)
if they have their head blown off by a shot gun or are guillotined their head cant tell their body "hey grow something."

Its unclear where the new skin/blood whatever comes from when its grown. Like when she cut off her toe, where did the material for the new toe come from? Did the cells around it just start multiplying to rebuild it? If so, it would stand to reason if they were decapitated their who body would just regrow from the neck down. We know if the brain itself is damaged and is prevented from regenerating (like when the branch was in her head or the glass in Peter's) that all the other regen stops too. Clearly the brain CAN heal itself though so a gunshot, unless the bullet remained stuck somewhere important in the brain, would probably not do it either.

Or you know, we can just assume its going to be internally inconsistent like everything else in heroes and used in whatever way Tim Kring feels is necessary for the story to be told...

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:06 am UTC

I also think putting a bullet in the brain and/or doing something else to "kill" the brain, then setting them on fire would do it, since their body wouldn't heal the damage so long as the brain was inactive.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

With Elle dead I see no reason to continue watching this show.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:39 pm UTC

I never liked Elle much, anyhow.

On to Nathan. I haven't liked him a lot, either. He's just a massive tool as far as I'm concerned, but his logic in this last episode really made me cringe. "I just helped take out this really evil bastard that had a power. Now I need to help Dad make sure even more people have powers!" Buh... what?
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

I am going to guess Nathan is anti-gun control, and is trying to view this like the same thing. It's not. A "good guy" with powers can't stop someone with a grenade from spontaneously throwing it if that person doesn't know the person has a grenade. This is weirder. This is like "let's give most people on Earth access to a toolbelt full of area effect instant kill weapons, except for the people that get abilities like super memory." From this position, Nathan would have to be so adamantly anti-gun control that he believes everyone on Earth should have a gun.

Also, Sylar, Hiro, and Nathan have all reverted to their late Season 1 states.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:39 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:I never liked Elle much, anyhow.

On to Nathan. I haven't liked him a lot, either. He's just a massive tool as far as I'm concerned, but his logic in this last episode really made me cringe. "I just helped take out this really evil bastard that had a power. Now I need to help Dad make sure even more people have powers!" Buh... what?

The right people. That's important. As long as only the right people have powers, his plan is flawless. My sarcasm is italicized.

I still can't believe Jim Profit could turn into such a tool.

Megatriorchis

Postby Megatriorchis » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:02 pm UTC

I was honestly hoping for Claire's death this episode. I don't care if she's the gorram catalyst or not, I'm just tired of her being the worst character on the show. Man, if only that eclipse hadn't ended. Or a second moon just came out of nowhere and made another eclipse. Like if maybe they all got teleported to a planet with two moons that cross orbit paths alot.

I don't know, I just really want Claire dead.
The Humanity for the Undead Coalition: Bringing Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness to the Undead and Other Supernatural Humanoids. Zombies don't eat people; people eat people!

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

Noah, Sandra, Matt, Daphne, Ando, and Hiro are the only characters I hope aren't killed off.

Earlier Nathan was all "I sure am not going to go out and tell the world about powers again. Last time I was shot by my brother from the future!" and now he's signed onto his father's plan...which would probably entail exactly that beforehand. I saw this coming ever since the Linderman ghost, which he somehow hasn't been bothered by or wondered about since it last disappeared. Doesn't he realize sanity is at least a bit important in a politician?

Oh, that's right. He just wants to dress up and go around in a suit calling himself "senator" all the time instead of actually doing anything. Baron Samedi was right when he talked about him taking up a title. He's still as dismissive and condescending toward everyone, especially his brother, as he was during Season 1.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:26 am UTC

Incidentally, I'm also hoping against hope that Sylar just STARTED cutting Elle's head, but didn't actually kill her....I know, it's stupid, but I can dream, right? There's definitely not enough female eye candy on this show now, if she's dead......

As for chars that we want to live/die, I'm also STILL praying they bring back Blaxploitation-Taskmaster....one of the few chars who actually has powers and a brain, and uses the two in conjunction....
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:40 am UTC

Aikanaro wrote:As for chars that we want to live/die, I'm also STILL praying they bring back Blaxploitation-Taskmaster....one of the few chars who actually has powers and a brain, and uses the two in conjunction....

Oh, lord, yes. The very first thing she did upon discovering her powers was to rent a ton of karate movies.
The only advice I can give is that she needs to take another page from the Taskmaster and watch those karate movies in fast forward, so she can do everything in them at a superhuman speed.

Also: Hiro was supposed to be the genre-savvy comic book reader, right? Why didn't he just teach the other heroes, using said comic books, how to competently use their powers?
500%!

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:00 am UTC

Because the comics always HAVE to have a "how do I shot web?" bit?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... DoIShotWeb
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:22 am UTC

I'd imagine it's because these are applied skills and things you can't improve by reading about how to improve them, except with Sylar's brain analysis.

If instead you mean teaching them how to take advantage of their powers, yes, that would be a pretty good idea. Also, considering that the 9th Wonders comic books seem to record most of what's been going on in the show, wouldn't it be a good idea for them all to read them and become omniscient about each other for strategic purposes?

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:12 am UTC

For that matter, who's writing 9th wonders now? I thought that ended when season 1 finished and Issac's last copy went out. And why don't they read further ahead, instead of reading it as they go? WHY ARE THEY SO GODDAMN STUPID IT HURTS MY BRAIN
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:31 am UTC

according to the latest episode, they were being published posthumously and the issue in the latest episode was the last by Isaac.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

MikeBabaguh

Postby MikeBabaguh » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:48 am UTC

In an effort to find out what's going to happen on next week's episode, I have written down 20 of the most ridiculous plot possibilities I could think of, and will now pick a few at random. Here goes nothing...

/roll

Hmm, Maya is now a lesbian.

/roll

Oh wow, Mrs. Petrelli was born a man? Didn't see that one coming.

/roll

Awesome! Parkman's wife is returning!

Get the point? This season has jumped the shark IMO. I still watch it, but only to see what sort of ridiculous shit will happen. The show has gone to shit and needs some decent writers.
Pursue happiness, with diligence.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:52 am UTC

Sad, but true. I recently re-watched some of the early first-season episodes, and was surprised at how much better they were. This show was genuinely good at one point.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:12 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:For that matter, who's writing 9th wonders now? I thought that ended when season 1 finished and Issac's last copy went out. And why don't they read further ahead, instead of reading it as they go? WHY ARE THEY SO GODDAMN STUPID IT HURTS MY BRAIN

The word "posthumous" was mentioned. This means that this was Isaac's last one.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:43 am UTC

What pisses me off is in Season 1 we see Issac putting an unfinished comic into a manilla envelope, and we see it's Sylar getting run through with a sword. Did he just draw them out of order and the other ones were found in complete form? and even then, his sketchbook should have the beginnings of Season 2, unless they truly have stopped giving a shit.

On the bright side, at least we're cutting down on the crazy "roadmap to the future" shit now that we only have 1 precog and 1 timetraveler.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

thatguy wrote:On the bright side, at least we're cutting down on the crazy "roadmap to the future" shit now that we only have 1 precog and 1 timetraveler.

Assuming they get rid of Arthur. Cause he has precognition AND time travel. And even if they do get rid of him I can't imagine them leaving Peter without powers, though I guess he could somehow just get his "base" power back.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:27 pm UTC

All Peter needs is a finished version of Mohider's formula. Then he'll get his base power back. Then he can "empathise" all of his acquired powers back fom his dad.

But given how terrible the logic in this series has been so far, they'll probably just make it so he gets all of his powers back as soon as they inject him.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:All Peter needs is a finished version of Mohider's formula. Then he'll get his base power back. Then he can "empathise" all of his acquired powers back fom his dad.

But given how terrible the logic in this series has been so far, they'll probably just make it so he gets all of his powers back as soon as they inject him.

Sylar's gone down to only his base power (and telekinesis, somehow) before, so there's more precedent for that than for getting everything back.

korora

Postby korora » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:23 pm UTC

...which may or may not matter, depending on what the writers feel like doing.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:Sylar's gone down to only his base power (and telekinesis, somehow) before, so there's more precedent for that than for getting everything back.

Even though an interview with Tim Kring said he only had his "base" power (and TK) he clearly still had Ted's power AND Isaac's power in the future episode this season. I think we just need to face the facts that the writers cannot be consistent. The point I made about Peter getting powers back is just that unless the character is in some way distinguished by his lack of powers (say Noah) then they very rarely have a place in the show. What they really need to do is have Mohinder's formula give him some new completely random power so that he doesnt have his completely overwhelming initial power back...oh and they then need to kill Arthur. Sylar having a ton of powers as a bad guy is fine because his psychological issues tend to keep him from being too big a deal (cause if he wanted to say rule the planet he'd probably be in a pretty good position to).

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Even though an interview with Tim Kring said he only had his "base" power (and TK) he clearly still had Ted's power AND Isaac's power in the future episode this season.

And Future Sylar has had years ofscreen we haven't seen to get them back, possibly by eatingexamining the brains of other people with those powers. The TK itself is an inconsistency, though - but that could also have been offscreen in theory - or the power removal could have been a "rewind" that stopped short of that point, justifiable since AFAIK telekinesis was the first power he took.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

The Heroes wiki says that Sylar keeps his telekinesis because Brian Davis is the only one of his murder victims he ever felt empathy for.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:46 am UTC

That kinda makes sense. And he'll probably keep Elle's power then, too...

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

knight427
Worshipful Sycophant

Postby knight427 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:34 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:Incidentally, I'm also hoping against hope that Sylar just STARTED cutting Elle's head, but didn't actually kill her....I know, it's stupid, but I can dream, right? There's definitely not enough female eye candy on this show now, if she's dead......

I'm not sure he killed her. It seemed like he was shocked by something once the tick-tock started...perhaps he noticed a little Sylar growing in Elle's body.
knight427

If you GIVE a zombie a fish, you will feed him for minute.
If you TEACH a zombie to fish, he will be munching on you for hours.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:11 am UTC

what the fuck is it with all the guys in heroes fucking/dating girls who are at least 12 years younger than they are now?

Also last week it really seemed like Sylar didn't know that Elle had only pretended to like him "back in the day," but it seems obvious he did the week before that when she says "you're not a monster, I made you this way" and he says "you were only following orders." I really don't want Sylar being evil again...
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:37 am UTC

I don't think she was pretending back then, at least toward the end of the assignment. Yeah, I hope he doesn't go back to being evil, because head scalpy-scalpy is just old.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:36 am UTC

And eating brains is disgusting
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”