Heroes! (No spoiler tags for episodes already aired in US)

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Torvaun

Re: Heroes: Here thar be spoilers (US Edition)

Postby Torvaun » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:08 am UTC

The point was made to me that blocking powers isn't a cool enough thing to warrant two people having it. Flight is something everyone wants to do at some point. Mind reading is likewise also ubiquitous. You and everyone around you are completely normal doesn't cut it as a power, because it sucks mightily. You're not going to get more than one person with that power in any self respecting escapist fantasy. Even if you do, that's a side power. The important power is going to be something like memory erasing, or you don't null other powers, you just twist them, a la Scarlet Witch.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

anoshinri

Postby anoshinri » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:52 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I'm growing to like Noah more and more, despite how quite evil he's been so far. I was shouting "DO IT! DO IT!" at my screen when he was pointing the gun at Bob, and cheered when I saw Claire's blood in the IV. =D

Noah isn't EVIL per se...

After a long, lenghty discussion on the D&D alignment system, my DM and I came to the conclusion that it IS indeed possible to be SO good (usually Lawful Good) that you go around the 'alignment circle' and become evil.

While Noah IS killing people, he's doing it for the best interest of protecting his family. I'd throw him Chaotic Neutral as an alignment.

Atleast he's not Chaotic Stupid, like Mohinder.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:55 am UTC

I think the producer of Heroes, Greg Beeman, said that some powers are essentially the same thing, with heroes having different elements of the same power, and expanding their abilities with practice. Candice's power would have overlapped with Matt's eventually, for example. I'm going to guess that Alejandro would have had the same power as Maya, then.

Speaking of Candice, she was originally going to have an adventure with Sylar spanning multiple episodes, but the actress that played her decided not to return for Season 2, so they just used the explanation that because Gabriel Gray was wanted for the murder of his mother, and she just dragged him off Kirby Plaza, the police were looking for her and she used a new illusion for her identity. Then they decided that they could have Candice stick around instead of being killed by Sylar after all, but then that actress left. It's a shame, because the addition of Candice probably would have made the Sylar/Maya/Alejandro storyline more interesting.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:34 am UTC

I would like to see one of the "regenerators" take a fall. There are simply too many of them, and their blood means that simply anyone can come back from the dead.

I want to see Adam go on though...so Claire or Peter need to die. Peter just needs to get de-powered, period.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:56 am UTC

The Company wanted Sylar alive because before they met him, they had never come across anyone with multiple powers. Yet they didn't bother suggesting they were doing research on Peter in Four Months Ago, or even show them taking DNA samples.

Also, the comic where Adam Monroe lost to the American Revolutionary War soldier took place during 1777, and the Company was founded about 200 years later. At the end of the graphic novel, he said "A god should have disciples," which suggests that would have been his goal from that point forward. Whether he returned to England after the Revolutionary War or stayed in America, what did Adam and his "disciples" accomplish between the 1770s and the 1970s?

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:52 am UTC

Hell, Adam could have gone through several generations of disciples by now. He may feel that he's finished with the batch he has now, and is starting a new group with Peter.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

yellie

Postby yellie » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

Unrelated: I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about Hiro and his little line to Peter before charging at him, and we decided that it would have been the perfect oppertunity for a nerd!Hiro comment to be made. "My name is Hiro Nakamura, HE killed my father, prepare to die", sort of thing. Doesn't it feel like he almost said it, though?

Related:
Narsil wrote:Peter just needs to get de-powered, period.

YES. Or at the very least, have some sort of crippling weakness to absorbing powers. It's not fair to have all that power and no weakness. :| It could be like... Pokemon? Where he has a limit to the amount of powers he can absorb/learn.

... Or perhaps something a little more sinister than Pokemon.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:38 pm UTC

yellie wrote:
Narsil wrote:Peter just needs to get de-powered, period.

YES. Or at the very least, have some sort of crippling weakness to absorbing powers. It's not fair to have all that power and no weakness. :| It could be like... Pokemon? Where he has a limit to the amount of powers he can absorb/learn.

... Or perhaps something a little more sinister than Pokemon.

Digimon?
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

anoshinri

Postby anoshinri » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:23 am UTC

fjafjan wrote:Digimon?

Does that mean Peter should Dark Digivolve?

Elenion

Postby Elenion » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:34 am UTC

:o

What's wrong with you? Peter is AWSOME. Not only is he insanly hot, he is also supercool cause of all his powers. His superiority is what makes him so cool:D He's still sorta annoying though.. but I find most characters annoying, no-one ever does what I think is best ><

I wish Peter would run around without clothes more often, I mean he is so super he doesnt need clothes.

One thing I was wondering... They had Adam locked up for 30 years, and they clearly knew about his ability and the fact that his blood could cure ppl.. Why didn't they regulary drain him for blood and store it? Then they could have used that to cure Molly when she got sick in the first place...
22/f/Oslo - Picz - Cyber

..it's not the end that I fear with each breath, it's life that scares me to death..

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:46 am UTC

If the writers were smart, they were and have a massive stockpile of Heal-All and are just manipulating people with this "we need teh bloodz to save ur luved 1!!" stuff.

But, as as I've said before, the writers just suck, so yeah the Company are idiots.

anoshinri

Postby anoshinri » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:05 am UTC

Elenion wrote:One thing I was wondering... They had Adam locked up for 30 years, and they clearly knew about his ability and the fact that his blood could cure ppl.. Why didn't they regulary drain him for blood and store it? Then they could have used that to cure Molly when she got sick in the first place...

But... the healing is a power... and the disease saps powers... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work. :\

Plus, I don't think Adam would allow them to take his blood. Even though he just regenerates, he is a fighter by nature, they'd have to sedate him to even get close with a needle, which may not work because of his power.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:56 am UTC

Besides, Adam's blood would have only repaired the damage done to Molly's body by the virus, but not the actual virus itself.

EricH

Postby EricH » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:59 am UTC

anoshinri wrote:
Elenion wrote:One thing I was wondering... They had Adam locked up for 30 years, and they clearly knew about his ability and the fact that his blood could cure ppl.. Why didn't they regulary drain him for blood and store it? Then they could have used that to cure Molly when she got sick in the first place...

But... the healing is a power... and the disease saps powers... I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work. :\

The argument could be made either way. Which is surely the way the writers like it, since they'd obviously prefer to ignore science...

anoshinri wrote:Plus, I don't think Adam would allow them to take his blood. Even though he just regenerates, he is a fighter by nature, they'd have to sedate him to even get close with a needle, which may not work because of his power.

Depends on how determined the people on both sides are. "OK, Adam, we'll give you a choice--in return for a simple blood donation once a week, we'll provide you with books, a radio, and a TV; you'll still be in prison, but we'll make it as comfortable as we can. If you won't cooperate, we can strap you to a bed, feed you through a tube, and leave an IV hooked up all the time. It won't be fun, but at least it will be painless. If you manage to break free of that, by breaking your own arms or something, we can come in here once a week, blast you in the chest with a shotgun, and take some blood while you're healing."
Pseudomammal wrote:Biology is funny. Not "ha-ha" funny, "lowest bidder engineering" funny.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:02 am UTC

They may not have known that his blood would heal others. We still haven't seen any evidence that it was ever used as such before Adam did it to Nathan. So, I suppose, Adam must have known about it, but the Company didn't necessarily know.

The real question is, how convenient is it that Molly managed to catch an incredibly rare virus that was being stockpiled by the same company that she was helping? Think they might have infected her just to get Mohinder?

EricH

Postby EricH » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:10 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:The real question is, how convenient is it that Molly managed to catch an incredibly rare virus that was being stockpiled by the same company that she was helping? Think they might have infected her just to get Mohinder?

From the Company's point of view, since Mohinder had never met her before, any child would do; Molly had the potential to be extremely useful, so they'd be better off picking up some other kid...
Pseudomammal wrote:Biology is funny. Not "ha-ha" funny, "lowest bidder engineering" funny.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:14 am UTC

EricH wrote:From the Company's point of view, since Mohinder had never met her before, any child would do; Molly had the potential to be extremely useful, so they'd be better off picking up some other kid...

Not if they already knew it only affected special people. Hard to find another special person that would be that good at hitting Mohinder at an emotional level. "Help us, or this old guy will die!" doesn't have the same impact as "Help us, or this 9 year old girl will die!" Evolutionary imperative to protect the young of the species and all that.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:28 am UTC

I've mentioned this before, but I hope they go into detail about how Sylar got his cryokenisis in a graphic novel. The newspaper article that Bob Bishop showed Nathan mentioned a snowstorm in Miami could have been a tsunami. A timetraveling or precognitive power like Isaac Mendez's, plus a freezing power, would have been the most useful. This suggests that unless there are duplicate powers yet again, Sylar killed a veteran company operative, which would explain how the Sylar and the Suresh family first came to the Company's attention. It's too important of a plot point to leave vague.

EricH

Postby EricH » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:30 am UTC

Torvaun wrote:Evolutionary imperative to protect the young of the species and all that.

I did say "kid," didn't I? Surely Molly and West aren't the only two children they've run across, in the last few years....

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

Elenion wrote::o

What's wrong with you? Peter is AWESOME. Not only is he insanely hot, he is also super-cool cause of all his powers. His superiority is what makes him so cool:D He's still sorta annoying though.. but I find most characters annoying, no-one ever does what I think is best ><

I wish Peter would run around without clothes more often, I mean he is so super he doesn't need clothes.

I totally disagree. He was tenfold more interesting when he was struggling to try and figure out what his life was about and what was happening to him, back when he was cheery and nice nurse and not a driven, narrow-sighted idiot. The sheer amount of powers he's collected him have made him almost unbeatable and without risk there's no interest for an audience.

I've been saving up some man points over the past few weeks so I can securely say this:

Peter was hotter with his season 1 haircut =|

anoshinri

Postby anoshinri » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:58 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I've been saving up some man points over the past few weeks so I can securely say this:

Here go all my man points:

I'd have top agree. Emo cuts are not attractive.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:12 am UTC

So most of the spoilers that were posted were right, except the one that said the virus would be released, and Nathan fell ill because of the virus at the press conference. Instead of Nathan dying from the virus, he fell got shot, and Elle saved Maya and Molly from getting scalped, but didn't kill Sylar.

I really liked this episode, except for Sylar not dying and getting his powers back. He has been around way too long. What's he going to do now; go around and scalp some more people? And he better not have gained Candice's powers. At least he couldn't pose as Nathan if he did have them, anyway.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:32 am UTC

I was kinda hoping that Peter would remain a bad guy. With Adam now buried alive the only remaining villain besides the company is Sylar, who is cool and all but I want some diversity. And how dare they get my hopes up by killing Maya and then bringing her back, thats bullshit. Any theories on who shot Nathan? I thought it was Noah but I'm not sure.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:43 am UTC

Probably just some random PrimaTech henchman, like those extras Peter knocked over to get to the vault. Really, there's no reason for anyone significant to the show to have done it personally.

I just knew Nathan was going to get shot as he was giving the speech, never explicitly saying there are people with superpowers among us, at which point I guess Peter would have done something like create a little ball of electricity in his palm on camera. Right when he got done with the introduction, he paused for a few seconds and stalled and cleared his throat, and I thought to myself NOW! He gets shot NOW! And shot he was.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:07 am UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:I was kinda hoping that Peter would remain a bad guy. With Adam now buried alive the only remaining villain besides the company is Sylar, who is cool and all but I want some diversity. And how dare they get my hopes up by killing Maya and then bringing her back, thats bullshit. Any theories on who shot Nathan? I thought it was Noah but I'm not sure.

Well, the next volume is called "Villians," so they should be introducing at least a couple more. Woo.

anoshinri

Postby anoshinri » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:03 am UTC

I want to see some seriously powered up villains next season.

Like, someone to give Peter and/or Sylar a run for their money.

... Especially Peter.

ludwig_van

Postby ludwig_van » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:10 am UTC

Man
That finale was awful.

I just didn't give a shit about what was happening for 90% of it, and then it ended and I felt so cheated. Where's the showdown?
The grave was the only cool part.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:22 am UTC

Writers strike sucks?

I dunno... but now I can buy the dvds and play the Heroes drinking game.

Drink whenever Mohinder does something stupid.
Drink whenever does something that could potentially challenge the Stupid Mohinder award.
Drink for every Yatta! or Hiro face scrunch. (for season 1)

I think that's pretty good to get you very sloshed very fast.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:33 am UTC

"Drink whenever a messy situation could have been avoided by anyone, *ever* explaining what they're talking about or thinking for three seconds"

And you'll be drinking continuously throughout the whole season
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:06 am UTC

I have a question: Heroes sucks. I know it sucks. I know this for a fact. It has the worst writing of any show I've bothered to watch for more than one episode. The acting is mediocre at best in all but a select few of the characters.

Yet I watch it still. Why? What curse has Tim Kring laid on me?

Confused,
Saladin.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:40 pm UTC

I don't mind Sylar sticking around, but everyone really needs to stop being so friggin' weak and give him a run for his money since no one has, EVER. Mohinder did once, but only once. And that was short-lived in itself. A crotch-Kick would have done just fine like Niki.

I like badass peter. He's not overpowered at all. He's the only good guy that's worth it. I hope he opens a can of whoopass next season.

Elenion

Postby Elenion » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:52 pm UTC

anoshinri wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:I've been saving up some man points over the past few weeks so I can securely say this:

Here go all my man points:

I'd have top agree. Emo cuts are not attractive.

His hair in season 1 was way more emo. I like emo-hair but it just looked geeky on him in season 1. I like geeks too.. but ANYWAY. Way hotter in season 2. Way :)

I liked the season finally, but I wish Sylar would go away soon, get some new bad-guy.. sick of Sylar.
22/f/Oslo - Picz - Cyber

..it's not the end that I fear with each breath, it's life that scares me to death..

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

So, what powers are we looking for in the new villains? We still haven't had a super-speed. Adam could get out of the coffin, they really aren't built to keep people in. He's got plenty of time, he can scratch away at it. Maury could break free of his nightmare. I really could use another ironic villain like Linderman. Ability to heal others isn't a typical evil superpower.

I don't want a Magneto. I could go for a shapeshifter. Actually, shapeshifting would be a kick ass-ability.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

Next season: the Haitian erases West and Claire's memories, half of the airtime is spent on them getting reacquainted. Will a new popular girl in school threaten their relationship!?!?!?!?!?

The other half: Monica and Micah, spurred by the death of Nikki, clean up the streets of New Orleans! Hilarity ensues! Throughout the season, keep your eyes peeled for special cameos by Peter, Hiro, Sylar, Mohinder, Parkman, Elle, and Noah!
//TODO: Write funny sig

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

dyzzy wrote:Next season: the Haitian erases West and Claire's memories, half of the airtime is spent on them getting reacquainted. Will a new popular girl in school threaten their relationship!?!?!?!?!?

The other half: Monica and Micah, spurred by the death of Nikki, clean up the streets of New Orleans! Hilarity ensues! Throughout the season, keep your eyes peeled for special cameos by Peter, Hiro, Sylar, Mohinder, Parkman, Elle, and Noah!

Clever. I lol'd at the cameos.

Torvaun wrote:So, what powers are we looking for in the new villains? We still haven't had a super-speed. Adam could get out of the coffin, they really aren't built to keep people in.

I thought that too. He could pull a Kill Bill and just punch at the thing for a few hours.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:56 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:I thought that too. He could pull a Kill Bill and just punch at the thing for a few hours.

That worked in Kill Bill because it was a shitty pine box.

Adam is in what looked like *at least* a thick hardwood box. Possibly metal. It was hard to tell. Either way, it will take more than Pai Mei's teachings to get out of there.

Also, can the regenerators live without air and food? I imagine they'd at least go dormant pretty quickly once they suffocated.

They/them

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

A, good point. GJ's.

dyzzy

Postby dyzzy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:00 pm UTC

You beat me to it, Belial. Those were my concerns... looks like for now, excepting really stupid plot devices, Adam's gone for good.

And I really do hope West dies in a fire-- er, sorry Nikki.
//TODO: Write funny sig

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

Well, he might regenerate back to full health if someone exhumed him.

Personally, if I were Hiro, I would've teleported him into the upper atmosphere, and teleported back. I suspect his head would be destroyed during reentry.

They/them

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

I've got a question. Peter knows that the blood of a regenerator can heal people. Peter knows that he is a regenerator. Despite this, Nathan is going to die, and he's going to stay dead. So, my question is, WTF?

Edit: Actually, I think Hiro's idea was perfect for the character. There's something wonderfully symbolic to locking your father's murderer in his coffin.

Edit II: Has Hiro shown that he can do rapid teleports? He might build up a little too much momentum falling before he does the second teleport to not smash when he teleports to ground.
Last edited by Torvaun on Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”