Terror movie

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

idont_know12

Terror movie

Postby idont_know12 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:12 am UTC

I searched the fora and didn't find anything sufficiently like this, so hear me out:

I don't consider myself a movie buff, but from what horror movies I've seen people don't really make any scary movies. I'm hoping someone here knows of a truly scary movie. Of course, I don't mean "Aah! Zombies!" or "Wow! That startled me!" or "Man, look at all that gore" or anything like that - I want a movie that will truly terrify me, leave a feeling of pure, unadulterated fear within me for time after the movie is over; something that makes you think "Holy fuck, I did NOT need to have experienced that much fear EVER IN MY LIFE."

I'm not even sure if such a thing exists. I suppose if there's some other medium that conveys this feeling, that would be cool to know about to.
Thanks for help.

Nath

Re: Terror movie

Postby Nath » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:48 am UTC

idont_know12 wrote:I searched the fora and didn't find anything sufficiently like this, so hear me out:

I don't consider myself a movie buff, but from what horror movies I've seen people don't really make any scary movies. I'm hoping someone here knows of a truly scary movie. Of course, I don't mean "Aah! Zombies!" or "Wow! That startled me!" or "Man, look at all that gore" or anything like that - I want a movie that will truly terrify me, leave a feeling of pure, unadulterated fear within me for time after the movie is over; something that makes you think "Holy fuck, I did NOT need to have experienced that much fear EVER IN MY LIFE."

I'm not even sure if such a thing exists. I suppose if there's some other medium that conveys this feeling, that would be cool to know about to.
Thanks for help.

Why would you really want a truly scary movie? I doubt being genuinely scared is fun.

But yeah, the few horror movies I've seen have been pretty pointless. The last movie I saw that unnerved me was Children of Men; I find that sort of thing a lot scarier than chainsaw-wielding vampire zombie cheerleaders.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:44 am UTC

Quite frankly, the movie Wag the Dog terrified me, even though it is a comedy.
and here's why.
Spoiler:
Simply, a few men fake a war to win an election.
418 I'm a teapot

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:04 am UTC

I find that the movies that really scare me tend to be the really atmospheric horror movies, the ones that don't scare you with impending harm, but with general *wrongness* of the atmosphere and the vision. Japanese horror movies (The Ring, Dark Water, etc) are good at atmosphere, but tend to fail at plot which ruins the effect. American remakes of those same movies tend to make attempts at fixing those issues, but it doesn't always work. Korean horror movies (Tale of Two Sisters, The Eye) are a bit better on both fronts.

And while I'm sure my roommate will somehow *sense* me saying this and show up to yell at me, the Silent Hill movie had a pretty horrifying atmosphere, all told. I liked it lots until it kindof fell apart toward the end.

I'd suggest just experimenting, but erring on the side of ghost movies as opposed to monsters, and avoiding anything that seems to rely overmuch on startle tactics.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:16 am UTC

Ju-On: The Grudge. Mostly just because of the newspaper-on-the-window scene.

*rocks back and forth in corner*

(Keep in mind that there are two other movies called Ju-On, and The Grudge. What you want is the one with all of that in the title - Ju-On: The Grudge. Completely different thing.)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:57 am UTC

Dammit, you beat me to Wag the Dog (also happy someone else saw that.)
    *blam*
    It's ok, he's alive!
    *blam*
    Scratch that!

But for scary movies, watch the Philadelphia Project, then Event Horizon.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:09 pm UTC

I found The Exorcism of Emily Rose had me sleeping with the lights on for a couple of nights, but it didn't leave me feeling scared afterwards. Ghost Ship also had its moments.

Although for some seriously freeky stuff, try listening to Bill Hicks talk about President Bush and the Iraq war :shock:
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:37 pm UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:Ju-On: The Grudge. Mostly just because of the newspaper-on-the-window scene.

(Keep in mind that there are two other movies called Ju-On, and The Grudge. What you want is the one with all of that in the title - Ju-On: The Grudge. Completely different thing.)

I laughed my way through that movie. Seriously. Zombie cheerleaders, dude.

2001: A Space Odyssey terrified me, however. It's just the sheer feeling of emptiness that the movie gets across. Everyone in the film is isolated. Floyd, on the moon. Bowman, without his crew. HAL, unable to communicate what's happening to him. The Monolith, a silent sentinel watching for eons, with no equal. The star-child.

Come to think of it, all Stanley Kubrick films will leave you with the heeby-jeebies afterwards. The Shining has got to be the scariest "scary movie" I've ever seen, and Full Metal Jacket is just unsettling. There's the obvious Gomer Pyle scene, but also the underlying portrayal of the Army as a factory that turns humans into cold-blooded murderers.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

idont_know12

Postby idont_know12 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:51 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:But for scary movies, watch the Philadelphia Project, then Event Horizon.

Would the Philadelphia Project, by chance, also go by the name the Philadelphia Experiment? Because that's all I could find.

Skateside wrote:I found The Exorcism of Emily Rose had me sleeping with the lights on for a couple of nights

Really? The Exorcism of Emily Rose?

Also, generally, thanks. Does anyone know where I would be able to actually find, say, a Korean movie? Because I'm pretty sure the Movie Gallery down the road doesn't have it.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, while old and kind of hokey, is actually really unsettling for me. If I look at it at all objectively it's really silly, but if I sort of suspend my disbelief and let the movie go for a while, it becomes really creepy. There isn't anything I can point to as being all that frightening, but there's a low-grade anxiety throughout the whole film that just gradually builds and builds until I end up really high-strung on the edge of my seat.

The Birds also made me scared of playgrounds and powerlines. There's been a lot of bird migration near me recently, and every once in a while I'll look out a window and see the whole sky full of birds and just lose my shit for a few seconds.

In general, I find movies that deal with a sort of corruption-of-the-self, where the threat isn't from anything external, but from the protagonists destroying themselves from the inside really disturbing. David Cronenberg's movies where he doesn't distinguish between reality and insanity are particularly effective.

[quote=Nath]Why would you really want a truly scary movie? I doubt being genuinely scared is fun.[/quote]
Clearly, you've never been genuinely scared.

Letting yourself ride away on someone else's nightmare and getting your intestines wrapped around your stomach is far and away the most fun you can have in a theater.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

idont_know12 wrote:Also, generally, thanks. Does anyone know where I would be able to actually find, say, a Korean movie? Because I'm pretty sure the Movie Gallery down the road doesn't have it.

I bet they do, actually. Tale of Two Sisters and The Eye were both imported under the Tartan Asian Extreme label which is actually distributed pretty heavily.

They/them

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
idont_know12 wrote:Also, generally, thanks. Does anyone know where I would be able to actually find, say, a Korean movie? Because I'm pretty sure the Movie Gallery down the road doesn't have it.

I bet they do, actually. Tale of Two Sisters and The Eye were both imported under the Tartan Asian Extreme label which is actually distributed pretty heavily.
And if that doesn't work, look for a specialty DVD store near you. I'm talking Suncoast/F.Y.E./Ect., NOT Best Buy. One of those would certainly have some J-Ho or K-Ho*.

*- My abbreviation for the much too long "Japanese Horror Film" or "Korean Horror Film". Pass it on.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:05 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:Letting yourself ride away on someone else's nightmare and getting your intestines wrapped around your stomach is far and away the most fun you can have in a theater.

Sure, but it's fun because you aren't genuinely scared. You know that you aren't in any real danger.

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:12 am UTC

Clearly you have a different definition of fun.

They/them

Nath

Postby Nath » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:02 am UTC

Belial wrote:Clearly you have a different definition of fun.

Me? Yes, it would seem that way. I haven't been in any genuinely life-threatening situations, but I don't think I'd particularly enjoy them.

Back to the subject of scary movies: I'm told that Jesus Camp falls into that category.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Nath wrote:
Belial wrote:Clearly you have a different definition of fun.

Me? Yes, it would seem that way. I haven't been in any genuinely life-threatening situations, but I don't think I'd particularly enjoy them.

Back to the subject of scary movies: I'm told that Jesus Camp falls into that category.

It really, really does. I couldn't watch the whole thing... of course, I get uneasy whenever someone brings up Christianity, and watching that kind of brainwashing is 1000x worse. Ugh.

Malice

Postby Malice » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:10 am UTC

The top five scariest movies I've ever seen (in no particular order):

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Watch this for its realism; it avoids almost all Hollywood tricks to present a terrifying experience with little real explanation, excuse, or distraction. The scariest part is the sense of isolation and helplessness. Like all the scariest horror movies, at the end of the movie, nothing is solved.
2. The Descent. As with all of these movies, go into it knowing as little as possible and you'll be rewarded. The Descent is a rollercoaster ride, exploiting fears of claustrophobia, darkness, loss, betrayal, violence, cannibalism, death (of course) and more. It's also brilliant, to boot.
3. Don't Look Now. I've seen this many times, and it's not the kind of movie where you scream (except perhaps at the end); but it's the epitome of atmospheric horror, and never fails to evoke tension, nervousness, grief, and most of all, dread.
4. The Ring. Excellent makeup, a careful lack of explanation (and too much in just the right places), and a taut pace--not to mention the technological fears it plugs into--make this movie nerve-wracking from start to finish. A perfectly executed twist ending brings it all home.
5. The Blair Witch Project. Those who don't hate it agree that it's one of the scariest things ever put on film. I've seen it half a dozen times and it never fails to keep me up at night. All of these movies work to one extent or another by limiting information, but this is the king.

Honorable mentions: Session 9 (an atmospheric film set in an abandoned insane asylum), Open Water (a very realistic, nerve-wracking movie about a couple forgotten at sea in shark-infested waters), silent horror, which has an eerie, nightmarish quality rarely seen anywhere else (The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, and the works of Tod Browning are all good ones to check out), and Hitchcock (Psycho, Rear Window, Vertigo, The Birds, etc.).

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:46 pm UTC

Malice wrote:1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Please tell me you're talking about the original 1970s version
Skateside:
Spoiler:

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:52 pm UTC

Clearly. He mentioned it's realism, and avoidance of all Hollywood tricks.

Skateside

Postby Skateside » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:55 pm UTC

Jesster wrote:Clearly. He mentioned it's realism, and avoidance of all Hollywood tricks.

I've only seen the original, I've never seen the remake as a mark of respect. I was just making sure I'm not the only Chainsaw Massacre nazi out there :oops:
Skateside:
Spoiler:

sunkistbabe1

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:43 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:Ju-On: The Grudge. Mostly just because of the newspaper-on-the-window scene.

I second this. I watch some so called 'horrors' if they come out to TV or satellite, and most are just gore and blood, gore and blood. They finish... I sit there going "Ooh... well, that was ... bloody"

I watched 'The Grudge' with Sarah Michelle Geller and the Original 'Ju-On' one weekend.... had trouble sleeping. Which hasn't happed since I watched Stephen Kings 'It' back in jr High. I haven't seen 'Ju-on: The Grudge' yet, i didn't know there was other ones made besides the box office releases.

The creepiest movies I have every seen have always been the ones without all the blood, gore and violence. The ones that mess with your head stay with you longer :)
- Sunkist -

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

I haven't seen 'Ju-on: The Grudge' yet, i didn't know there was other ones made besides the box office releases.

Are you sure you didn't see Ju-on: The Grudge? The original Ju-on was straight to video and is extremely hard to find outside of Japan.

So far there's been:

Ju-on
Ju-on 2
Ju-on: The Grudge
Ju-on: The Grudge 2
The Grudge (American, shit)
The Grudge 2 (American, shit)

And maybe even some others... And no, if you're wondering, they don't ever really manage to go to any new places. But all except the American remakes are scary, at least.

Malice

Postby Malice » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

Skateside wrote:
Malice wrote:1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Please tell me you're talking about the original 1970s version

You don't know me, so I'll excuse you asking this. I don't tend to watch horror remakes (well, chronological remakes; foreign remakes are different). In fact, I'm trying to think of one that I have seen and I'm coming up blank.

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

"The Omen" was a good remake.

And foreign remakes tend to be good. They tend to actually inject a coherent plot, because apparently we like that sort of thing.

I'm kindof skeptical of the upcoming remake of "The Eye" though. That was already good...

They/them

sunkistbabe1

Postby sunkistbabe1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:
I haven't seen 'Ju-on: The Grudge' yet, i didn't know there was other ones made besides the box office releases.

Are you sure you didn't see Ju-on: The Grudge? The original Ju-on was straight to video and is extremely hard to find outside of Japan.

So far there's been:

Ju-on
Ju-on 2
Ju-on: The Grudge
Ju-on: The Grudge 2
The Grudge (American, shit)
The Grudge 2 (American, shit)

And maybe even some others... And no, if you're wondering, they don't ever really manage to go to any new places. But all except the American remakes are scary, at least.

I'm pretty sure it was 'Ju-On', at least that is what it said on the movie channel I watched it on. I watched 'The Grudge' US version the same weekend. I found them both creepy. The weird croaking noises that chick made to the shadows and reflections in various objects. Had a lot of trouble sleeping that night.
- Sunkist -

MetaJoke

Postby MetaJoke » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

I suffer the same problem. I'm not scared of blood, gore, or most monsters.

I'm scared of the Other. Something incomprehensible, inhumane, and fundamentally wrong. It's really hard to find this in movies.. while this might be off topic, house of leaves scared the crap out of me in this style, and a lot of king's short stories (the mist, 1408 in particular) hit that nerve. What's the quote from the 1408 story? "That wasn't a ghost... at least a ghost was human" or something to that effect.

Cube- not exactly a horror, and not really other, the idea of waking up in a giant death trap disturbs me.

Shallow ground- Fundamentally wrong, incomprehensible. Takes a while before you know what's going on, very creepy. Problem is, you spend a little more brainpower wondering what's going on then you could while being unnerved.

Dead birds- Western horror. For a lesser known film, it's pretty cool. Great effects on the creature.

Hmm.. I'll post some more when I've got a list.

Iori_Yagami

Postby Iori_Yagami » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:57 pm UTC

I think I have something similar to last posters, and something different to Narsil.
Well, Space Odyssey was not frightening at all. It was pompous - space flights, birth of new eras (human birth, space travel birth, machine created intelligence birth - read, artificial human). It is a history of human progress. In a sense, it is anxious - the world is changing before your very eyes. Black slab is just a symbol of change.
But J-horror is macabre. Ooooh, it gave me real shivers. Even "Nightmare on Elm Street" wasn't like that. Its strength was not in the gore and blood, but the idea of killer dreams. Dreams are what is unnerving on its own - before you wake up. Besides, a well-known horror movie cliché - main protagonist's fellows outright refuse to believe him that IT exists. Hey, there are no ghosts, go sleep!
If we take "The Shining", for example, then the most scary scenes for me were not Jack chasing Danny with an axe, or putrid decaying woman in the bath, or elevator blood flows, but two little girls. "Come play with us, forever, forever,..."
J-horror gives you all that. Apart form the Ring and Grudge series, there was a film about dolls came alive (and bloodthirsty) and a pregnant woman being haunted by kami, who want to enter her child.
The weirdness and unexplainedness is what makes them scary. It is no surprise that movies tend to degenerate to bloody chases and fights near the end, but some gentle hints of terror in the middle of the movie is what makes it chilling.
Interesting, I had nightmares about TV, which keeps showing some disturbing pictures even after I turn it off completely, long, long before The Ring came out. Perhaps we all have some fears built into us, and film's creator is who identifies them and releases them on the big screen.
They cannot defend themselves; they cannot run away. INSANITY is their only way of escape.

Philomid
Location: Out proving Einstein's theory of relativity wrong. Be back in seven years. I think...

Postby Philomid » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

In my experience, good, scary, nerve-wreaking movies tend to lose it when you see the monster/enemy. Examples:

Signs: Great movie. Up until you see the aliens in detail. Though admittedly, the scene with the Brazilian b-day party scarred me pretty bad. After you understand and know about the aliens, it kinda falls apart.

I Am Legend: Great great great horror movie/thriller, but it really went downhill when
Spoiler:
the "big-badass zombie thing" saw Neville trap the female zombie. Once you knew exactly what they looked like... it went down hill. And the movie had so much potential... :(

Spoiler:
SecondTalon wrote:"Dude... We've dreamed of shit like this, plans to escape, what we'd do if it were to happen.. and it did. Don't you get it? We're fucking nerds."

alkatmsu

Postby alkatmsu » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:32 am UTC

One of the few movies to creep me out is Anatomy. German flick about a scientific cult that dissects people alive and consious. Nothing like seeing a guy wake up on a table, look down, and see himself split open to give you the willies.

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”