Disturbing Trends In TV

Rot your brains, then rot our boards

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

trickster721

Re: Disturbing Trends In TV

Postby trickster721 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

It's usually (correct me if I'm wrong) along the lines of:
Teaser & credits > Adverts > Around 10 minutes of show > Adverts More show > Adverts > End of show > Adverts > Credits

Another thing is that "teaser" or "previously" segment is now two or three minutes long at the beginning of the newest shows. That's because the audience is actually getting stupider as people defect to EZTV.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:37 pm UTC

I like how a lot of commercials claim diversity, and 1 in every 3 workers are black or asian, regardless of their minority percentage.

Citizen K

Postby Citizen K » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:46 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:How do you kill a stuffed polyester dog?

Beat the stuffing out of it? (Okay, that's both punny and wrong, but apparently humor won out over good taste today.)
Remember how they always thought there wasn't a way to kill a toon? Well, Doom found a way. ... He calls it "The Dip."

Edit: some less-off-topic content.
I saw a commercial recently from a beer company promoting designated drivers. It's this couple arguing about who's going to drive and who's going to get drunk. But something about the woman's outfit and the way she was sitting made her look pregnant. That about made my brain explode. It ran again a bit later, and I decided it was just some sort of optical illusion, but there was still that excellent moment of :?: :!: :shock:.
Incidentally, the take-away message from that commercial is that being the designated driver is something nobody wants to do and that you should trick a friend into doing it.
Beware the cows! Not all milk is enriched.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

keozen wrote:In the Uk it's much simpler. For a half hour show it's:

First half of show > Adverts > Second half of show > Adverts before next show

For the hour long shows it's just a chunk of ads every now and again, no more than 3 lots though.

s-seriously? :shock:
Another reason I gotta get me to England.
(though, I don't actually use the TV very much, as compared to the internet, but I blame that partially on lack of good things on)

Raldios

Postby Raldios » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:25 pm UTC

I remember some reporter on CNN was talking about how Americans have to shut up for the good of the company.

Not to start a conspiracy theory argument, but it makes me wonder.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:27 am UTC

Savage Karate Attack wrote:
Aluminus wrote:"Are you smarter than a kid one fourth your age?"

"Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?" is a misleading title. To accurately reflect the show's subject matter, it should be "Have You Retained Knowledge Well Into Your Adulthood That a Fifth Grader Recently Learned, and Is Your Recall of Said Knowledge Sharp Enough to Win You a Million Dollars?"

However, I realize that the latter isn't quite as marketable as the former, and so I begrudgingly let it slide.

Not to mention that the questions are from the Fifth Grade (and below) syllabus. I don't think all the fifth graders get 100% on their tests. "Are You Smarter that the Smartest Fifth Grader in the State?" maybe?

I hate all these new gameshows, with the drawing out, and drawing out, and hosts that can't pull it off. Plus, National Bingo Night? I thought jumping up yelling BINGO! was the whole point of the game! The badly attempted suspense is ridiculous.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:35 am UTC

I want to go on one of those game shows and answer as fast as I can, and just watch the producers head explode.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:04 am UTC

Nah, they'd still just do the whole, 'are you sure' and 'we'll be back right after the break' nonsense. The actual contestants taking their time I can understand (or mock them for being idiots, which is still entertaining.) I wouldn't mind being in the audience for Bingo Night and jumping up shouting Bingo! Especially if I don't have it.

Savage Karate Attack

Postby Savage Karate Attack » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:07 am UTC

JayDee wrote:'we'll be back right after the break' nonsense

Jeff Foxworthy is the worst at this. You can count on at least two occurrences of "The answer to this question is ......... COMING UP right after break" per show.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:20 am UTC

Only two? It never used to bother me, but the last year has seen so many new shows, and the formula / script is exactly the same, no matter what the actual 'game' is. Eddie McGuire wasn't too bad on 'Who wants to be a Millionare!' but then on 100 vs 1 he was shocking. Rove doesn't annoy me as much as he used to, but hosting 5th Grader, it's like he's just following a script. Badly.

Another less disturbing, but still annoying trend: It used to be that ads for other TV shows would show the time they will be airing, except for the last ad break before that show where it would say coming up next. It was a way of letting you know the show you were watching is almost over. Now, a show is advertised as coming up next as much as an hour before it's on, often the very first ad in the previous show. Where will it end?

Eldan

Postby Eldan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:01 am UTC

Wait, wait, wait. Wait. I can't believe that. You actually have commercial breaks during 30 minute shows? Daamn. We have it before and after for about five minutes each, but certainly not in the middle. Another reason to stay here, I guess. (The other being that downloading anything from the net is legal) They do one commercial break in an hour and about two or three in a ninty minute movie.

ishikiri

Postby ishikiri » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

Eldan wrote:Wait, wait, wait. Wait. I can't believe that. You actually have commercial breaks during 30 minute shows? Daamn. We have it before and after for about five minutes each, but certainly not in the middle. Another reason to stay here, I guess. (The other being that downloading anything from the net is legal) They do one commercial break in an hour and about two or three in a ninty minute movie.

Where is this magical Land?
clintonius wrote:The "thwak thwak thwak" in this movie makes me think they cranked up a powerpoint slideshow of angry pictures set to the soundtrack of a furious masturbator.

Eldan

Postby Eldan » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:36 pm UTC

Switzerland. There's also bad stuff. Like, german translations of everything non-german are horrible. And you can't buy any of the stuff a geek likes anywhere. On the other hand, since downloading is legal, both doesn't matter very much. :D Also, it seems Zurich is either the best or second best city in the world, according to the "Mercer worldwide Quality of Living Survey". What else? We are pretty damn rich... we don't fight any wars. Oh, right: we actually *do* make chocolate and cheese, but those are actual industries, not some people up in the mountains. And most of the people never were in touch with either before it was sold in a supermarket.
Yes, we own you. :wink:

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:45 am UTC

toughlove wrote:and also, there are very few well wriiten adds these days. australia have crap ones going BUY BUY BUY!!! but in europe, apparently they have "sophosticated" adds, where they are well scripted and shot, nothing that degrades your intelligence.

Eh. I live in England, maybe our ads are slightly better? There are a fair few annoying ones, we just take the piss out of them. Also we have a fair number of channels (BBC) that don't have Ads. The ones that do usually have ~3 minute breaks every 15 minutes.

Edit: when they show films, its about 1 ad for every 20-25 minutes. So in a 2-hour film we get about 5 ads. But this is only on C4; most of teh films on ITV suck.
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

Most Australian ads are pretty crap - "Hi! I'm Barry! Come down to my shop, I've got stuff!" - but we do have some decent ones. I'm dreading the day they make advertising for Alcohol illegal, some of those beer ads are awesome.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:... and what I've seen of Heroes' isn't much better.

I dunno. I kinda like that sound they do. Better than them coming up with some lame-ass intro. >.>
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:21 am UTC

Vekter wrote:
Rodan wrote:... and what I've seen of Heroes' isn't much better.

I dunno. I kinda like that sound they do. Better than them coming up with some lame-ass intro. >.>

Sure, it's a nice sound and all, but I still notice a distinct lack of a theme.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:56 pm UTC

I had heard that the lack of an intro and theme song for Heroes was a deliberate decision, made specifically to increase the show's running time. When you have a plot-heavy show that requires a time-consuming "Previously on..." spot, you don't want to waste two more minutes of your screen time on the same intro every week.
You don't make them touch!

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:30 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:
keozen wrote:In the Uk it's much simpler. For a half hour show it's:

First half of show > Adverts > Second half of show > Adverts before next show

For the hour long shows it's just a chunk of ads every now and again, no more than 3 lots though.

s-seriously? :shock:
Another reason I gotta get me to England.
(though, I don't actually use the TV very much, as compared to the internet, but I blame that partially on lack of good things on)

If you think that's awesome you should check the BBC. Only adverts they ever have are between shows, and they're only ever for other BBC shows. The downside is you have to pay for a TV licence.

I can't say I've ever seen any American adds (except for YouTube links to that HeadOn thing) but from what I've heard everywhere they're totally unsubtle monstrosities that use no more sophisticated techniques than imperatives and repetition.

On the subject of adverts, this this quite awesome Honda one (linkage). I don't give a crap about Honda but this advert is amazing. The music sends shiver down my spine and really gives a sense of epic (grammatically incorrect there, but I can't figure out the right form of the word).

The most disturbing trend I've seen so far is that on the kid's channels (Cartoon Network, Nickolodeon, etc) they have about five loan adverts every break. Seriously, it's just a constant bombardment of people in suits with headsets telling you that you need more money to buy a car/holiday. On the kid's channels. No wonder the whole country seems to be in debt, they're infecting the kids.

Oh, and those self-teaching adverts where they talk about how awesome you'd be if only you hadn't failed school but are offering you a chance to be cool again (for a fee). It annoys me that every time the person mentions "a secure, successful future" they're driving some huge silver car that takes up three quarters of the road.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:49 pm UTC

I can't say I've ever seen any American adds (except for YouTube links to that HeadOn thing) but from what I've heard everywhere they're totally unsubtle monstrosities that use no more sophisticated techniques than imperatives and repetition.

Like most things you hear about america outside the US, they're exagerrating our idiocy and boorishness a bit. Apply grains of salt as necessary.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:48 pm UTC

Belial wrote:

Like most things you hear about america outside the US, they're exagerrating our idiocy and boorishness a bit. Apply grains of salt as necessary.

He's right. MOST ads are totally unsubtle monstrosities that use no more sophisticated techniques than imperatives and repetition. A few are actually quite funny.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:00 am UTC

Girl™ wrote:I had heard that the lack of an intro and theme song for Heroes was a deliberate decision, made specifically to increase the show's running time. When you have a plot-heavy show that requires a time-consuming "Previously on..." spot, you don't want to waste two more minutes of your screen time on the same intro every week.

That's what I was thinking. As for Lost, having no intro means they can change the chow hugely in random directions, without have to shoot a new one. Both shows also have fairly large casts, which would also make a difference.

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

Girl™ wrote:I had heard that the lack of an intro and theme song for Heroes was a deliberate decision, made specifically to increase the show's running time. When you have a plot-heavy show that requires a time-consuming "Previously on..." spot, you don't want to waste two more minutes of your screen time on the same intro every week.

If you're actually relying on those damn previously segments to follow the plot of Heroes, it's time to stop putting off the tests. I would rather have a cool title sequence than a melodramatic voice explaining things I already know.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:38 am UTC

trickster721 wrote:

If you're actually relying on those damn previously segments to follow the plot of Heroes, it's time to stop putting off the tests. I would rather have a cool title sequence than a melodramatic voice explaining things I already know.

Yeah, they are pretty useless. I always thought it was something required by the network, though. Personally, I'd rather have neither, so there's more actual episode time. Long intros annoy the shit out of me.
You don't make them touch!

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:03 am UTC

Girl™ wrote:
trickster721 wrote:If you're actually relying on those damn previously segments to follow the plot of Heroes, it's time to stop putting off the tests. I would rather have a cool title sequence than a melodramatic voice explaining things I already know.
Yeah, they are pretty useless. I always thought it was something required by the network, though. Personally, I'd rather have neither, so there's more actual episode time. Long intros annoy the shit out of me.
I thought they were for people who watched the show every week, but might miss it for circumstances out of their control. Which made them more useful in the days before VCRs, TiVo, Torrents, etc.

If they don't include them on the DVDs it would indicate that it isn't to help people follow. I can't say for Heroes, but I've seen other shows on DVD that skip the "previously on..." bits.

Benedict

Postby Benedict » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:20 pm UTC

Reality tv in general. 'Nuff said.
Actually, wait, that's not enough. It bears more ranting.
Apparently, the ratings for reality tv are high enough, and the production costs low enough, that reality tv is the most economical and efficient use of a network's broadcast time. This is where the free market breaks down. If this disturbing trend continues, reality television will eventually become the majority of network programming. And that's scary.
Why are people so stupid? Why do they sit there and watch other people live fabricated lives instead of living their own, experiencing the beauty and pain and hope that's out there? At least feel something, people! Reality tv sucks! Why can't you see?!
Also, this needs to happen: http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20071117
Minerva wrote:There's no such thing as "renewable energy". That's the second law of thermodynamics.

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

Postby william » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:10 pm UTC

trickster721 wrote:

Heroes also probably couldn't have an intro sequence without pissing off half the actors. They'd basically have to just throw them up like with Torchwood but even longer.
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:22 pm UTC

Also, isn't the melodramatic voice Tony Head? (or is that just in Heroes Unmasked).

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Benedict

Postby Benedict » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:33 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:Also, isn't the melodramatic voice Tony Head? (or is that just in Heroes Unmasked).

Is it really? Awesome. Head is a fantastic actor who needs more screen time. (Unless you're watching British tv. And if you are: you lucky bastard.)
Minerva wrote:There's no such thing as "renewable energy". That's the second law of thermodynamics.

trickster721

Postby trickster721 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:28 am UTC

no-genius wrote:Also, isn't the melodramatic voice Tony Head? (or is that just in Heroes Unmasked).

Definitely not.

no-genius

Postby no-genius » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:57 pm UTC

trickster721 wrote:

Definitely not.

yeah, my heid was goin spare. Its the guy who plays Dr whatever, the lecturer guy. (ya radge)

Also, it was funny when the announcer said "the last in the current series". haha, pwned!

Return to “Movies and TV Shows”